Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Everything past Vanilla wow is bad.

Everything past Vanilla is bad.

Watch this video (He is 100% right)

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MNF...v=9MNFWhCw8dg)

Focus on raiding actually became a curse as he said. When they catered to that small demographic and the even smaller demographic of autistic people who think MMO PVP should be a esport (and I was one of those idiots at one point), the game got ruined. I'm not saying it's all Blizzard's fault either. Loudmouths on forums are just as responsible asking for idiocy like arena. A lot of the mistakes was catering to what they thought was the majority.

TBC had too much difference in gear level, too many raids and too big a gear carousel, that isn't even worth it for pvp players because resilience was stupid. At everything else? It's a really bad MMO. World PvP doesn't exist. Community was awful outside your guild and non existent and cross realm BG's also added to this. TBC had the precursor to LFD, it's just most people didn't use it because the heroics were so darn hard at first. No Wintergrasp to try to make up for lack of wpvp. It was flawed, but at least something similar. Not alt friendly at all. Small world that sucks compared to old Azeroth and made smaller due to flying. Dailies that are done by zombies that suck to try to make up for the fact they killed organic content that happened on the way to dungeons without flight or farming in the world. Again I'm not saying WOTLK is a great MMO, it just does all these dumb minigames better than TBC.

Vanilla WoW was more than just a PVE raiding game, its about WORLD and organic content. TBC isn't. It's small, limited and shallow.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopax View Post

Focus on raiding actually became a curse as he said. When they catered to that small demographic and the even smaller demographic of autistic people who think MMO PVP should be a esport (and I was one of those idiots at one point), the game got ruined. I'm not saying it's all Blizzard's fault either. Loudmouths on forums are just as responsible asking for idiocy like arena. A lot of the mistakes was catering to what they thought was the majority.

TBC had too much difference in gear level, too many raids and too big a gear carousel, that isn't even worth it for pvp players because resilience was stupid. At everything else? It's a really bad MMO. World PvP doesn't exist. Community was awful outside your guild and non existent and cross realm BG's also added to this. TBC had the precursor to LFD, it's just most people didn't use it because the heroics were so darn hard at first. No Wintergrasp to try to make up for lack of wpvp. It was flawed, but at least something similar. Not alt friendly at all. Small world that sucks compared to old Azeroth and made smaller due to flying. Dailies that are done by zombies that suck to try to make up for the fact they killed organic content that happened on the way to dungeons without flight or farming in the world. Again I'm not saying WOTLK is a great MMO, it just does all these dumb minigames better than TBC.

Vanilla WoW was more than just a PVE raiding game, its about WORLD and organic content. TBC isn't. It's small, limited and shallow.
    The first zone you walk into after entering THE DARK PORTAL has a huge road made of bones. Thats all I need.

What a unique and fresh opinion...

Expansions can't replicate the huge world that vanilla WoW introduced, but they do bring many of the necessary changes to make the game a lot better. TBC and WotLK did a lot of great things in that regard.

Four year old video by Kungen, an ex-pro WoW player whose greatest days were in Vanilla/TBC. Call me cynical but there might be a slight bias there.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Four year old video by Kungen, an ex-pro WoW player whose greatest days were in Vanilla/TBC. Call me cynical but there might be a slight bias there.
    also he was pro back in the day when those ''pros'' would literaly backpaddle and click as seen by videos of them doing naxx,its like being the best at beating small kids when you are older,in wod kungen was stuck in hellfire,because those smaller ''kids'' grew up and got better,kungen didnt

Vanilla wow had some really unpolished/incomplete class design.
    A lot of classes and specs were half baked, with a ton of stuff that was pointless and so bad you could never make it work for anything except memes.

TBC improved a lot upon that and imho is a more-or-less direct upgrade to vanilla.
    WOTLK started implementing some questionable choices and the whole LFD/LFG was a big mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopax View Post

The game was never more Raid or Die then in Vanilla so your point 1 go rights out the window.
    World PvP in Vanilla stopped existing the moment an alternative was introduced in bg's. The people made their preference very much known, the moment there was an alternative to the South Shore/Tarren Mill back and forth it disappeared forever.

The Community exists because people are people. The game has little to do with it.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    also he was pro back in the day when those ''pros'' would literaly backpaddle and click as seen by videos of them doing naxx,its like being the best at beating small kids when you are older,in wod kungen was stuck in hellfire,because those smaller ''kids'' grew up and got better,kungen didnt
    AFAIK he was still very competitive in pro scene when he came back. Assuming pro players were stupid back in Vanilla is just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Koward View Post
    AFAIK he was still very competitive in pro scene when he came back. Assuming pro players were stupid back in Vanilla is just wrong.
    Everyone was stupid in vanilla, pro players included. We just didn't know better because there was nothing to compare with. Looking back its obvious and classic aided in exposing a lot of it.

The heck does "organic content" even mean?

And we've seen that, without the critical ingredient of "nobody knows what they're doing", re-releasing vanilla doesn't create the same experience. (Still a unique and interesting one, but not the same.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    The game was never more Raid or Die then in Vanilla so your point 1 go rights out the window.
    I think that is already a rather ignorant statement.
    Classic WoW, despite what a lot of people want to believe, is not a endgame focused game.

The majority of content within Vanilla is the leveling content, that is where most of the effort went into, this is where the classes feel truly different.
    If you obviously skip past that via boosting or Spell / Melee cleave groups, that's your own thing.

It was the "casual MMO" and most people simply spent their time leveling, for quite a long time.
    If it took you 4-5 months, that is a reasonable amount of time spent on the game (and sub money for Blizzard).

The quality of the actual raids are a testament to this, neither BWL nor MC are high quality raids, MC was cobbled together within a week.
    Naxx is the only "high quality" raid of Vanilla - which they promptly re used in Wotlk.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    If i were to guess (without watching the video), then it's probably content designed in a more "fantasy first, convenience second" fashion.
    Dungeons like BRD, it was designed as the capitol of the Dark Iron Nation, with a Prison, Arena, more civillians quarters, a military section, manufacturing, a bar, etc..
    It really lives up to the fantasy of a dwarven city under a huge volcano.

More modern dungeons try to also live up to a certain fantasy, but they're more restricted in design, they always have like 3-5 bosses and should on average only require like 20-40 minutes at most to clear, whereas in Classic, these restriction did not exist, that's why every Classic dungeon is so unique in terms of design (ignoring the Scarlet Monastery wings).
    Even something simple as "you first have to do a handful of quests in order to acquire quests that send you into the dungeon" is also rather "organic", because they make sense within the context of the world.
    You first have to investigate who actually the leader of the Defias is before the questgiver will hand you a quest to bring you the head of its leader, as opposed to the guy simply waiting within the dungeon with knowledge on who or what to kill.

That change in terms of dungeon design already happened in TBC, there is a clear philosophy shift between TBC and Classic dungeons.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2020-03-29 at 06:08 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Lmao my first thought was "is this the Kungen video?" before clicking or scrolling down. Good to see the confirmation.

Thank god for TBC. Best game ever made. Also, imagine thinking Kungen's opinion matters, he was garbage at the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you're saying it's bad because you don't enjoy raiding or PvP?
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    I think that is already a rather ignorant statement.
    Classic WoW, despite what a lot of people want to believe, is not a endgame focused game.

The majority of content within Vanilla is the leveling content, that is where most of the effort went into, this is where the classes feel truly different.
    If you obviously skip past that via boosting or Spell / Melee cleave groups, that's your own thing.

It was the "casual MMO" and most people simply spent their time leveling, for quite a long time.
    If it took you 4-5 months, that is a reasonable amount of time spent on the game (and sub money for Blizzard).

The quality of the actual raids are a testament to this, neither BWL nor MC are high quality raids, MC was cobbled together within a week.
    Naxx is the only "high quality" raid of Vanilla - which they promptly re used in Wotlk.
    I played Vanilla. I didn't bother with Classic because I know it can't recreate what I want without wiping my memory. But thank you for assuming.

And the OP is obviously talking about more then just the levelling experience. He makes the claim that after Vanilla WoW became to Raiding focused while pretty much the entire focus on Vanilla after levelling lay on Raiding and very little non-raiding non-pvp content was added over its lifetime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Vegetables!
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    It is also a convoluted mess. I had written out a reply and then just deleted it. OP is all over the place. I really don't get the point.
    Not just that...but he's using a 4 year old video to single-out an expansion that was released a decade even before that.

It's like "yeah, we get it...you don't like TBC...but it's been almost 15 years..time to get over it."

I mean... you can meme all you want about "Lol Kungen" or whatever else you're throwing out without actually taking into consideration the points that are being made.

A lot of the arguments I'm seeing against this post is that TBC and WotLK introduced a lot of good things on TOP OF the negative things, and that these positives heavily outweighed the negatives. That's kinda the main point of Classic + though. Why not push for a version of the game where you get the good class balance but you also keep the WORLD as a main staying point. You can go to Outland and enjoy all of that content but it doesn't make Classic content irrelevant. Or at least not AS irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    I mean... you can meme all you want about "Lol Kungen" or whatever else you're throwing out without actually taking into consideration the points that are being made.

A lot of the arguments I'm seeing against this post is that TBC and WotLK introduced a lot of good things on TOP OF the negative things, and that these positives heavily outweighed the negatives. That's kinda the main point of Classic + though. Why not push for a version of the game where you get the good class balance but you also keep the WORLD as a main staying point. You can go to Outland and enjoy all of that content but it doesn't make Classic content irrelevant. Or at least not AS irrelevant.
    Classic+ would require Blizzard to actively develop two versions of the same game. This is not going to happen. (And if it were, we would've heard something about it at last year's BlizzCon.)