Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Nier 10th Anniversary event tomorrow

https://live2.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv324751811

So this has been teased for a while as something maybe more than just an appreciation stream. In particular not just Yoko Taro raving his usual wishy washy zany horseshit but DrakeNier series composer Keiichi Okabe has said its something fans of Nier and Drakengard "will want to pay attention to".

Considering Square out and out said they plan to exploit the shit out of the brand after Automata broke the series into the mainstream i worry its just going to be rushed out games to fill the gaps between FF and DQ releases now Kingdom Hearts is winding down for now but considering Automata is the only entry in the 5 game deep series that isn't turbojank i guess thats a moot point.

Personally since its the 10th Anniversary of Nier and not about the series as a whole i'm hoping for a remaster announcement for Nier Gestalt/Replicant. There are a hell of a lot of people that played Automata that don't even know that game is a straight sequel to the ps3/xbox 360 cult classic spun off from Drakengard that would probably really dig the post-post apocalyptic setting pre automata when humans were still around and you see things like Emil turning into the ball headed skeleton mage he is in Automata. God knows it would be a shame to see it left to die with the PS3 like other games like MGS4 but given that in japan at least it was multiplat and only ps3 exclusive in the west its probably a lot easier since its not designed for the cell which is usually the reason games are left behind so to speak.
    Plus anyone playing FFXIV who knows their Nier lore knows Taro has been thinking about the whole White Chlorination Syndrome thing again lately so who knows?

It starts at 3:30 JST and hey, worst case scenario we just get more of Taro being a living cartoon but maybe thats something cool on the way?

At best and knowing Square's usual shit I expect an announcement of an announcement.

Gief Automata 2!

15+ Year Old Account
    in case i forget tomorrow bump the thread and let me know, but its probably just more music stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Gief Automata 2!
    Eh, if you're looking for a direct sequel, you're outta luck. Taro Yoko doesn't really make those. The closest fans got was Drakengard 2, which he had barely anything, if anything at all to do with.

But I'd love to go back to either Nier daddy/brother story, myself. Even a remaster would be a great touch. Especially if I didn't have to read Japanese just to play as brother Nier.

IMO, Gestalt/Replica was better than Automata in terms of story. And the gameplay wasn't exactly hugely upgraded either. Just prettier graphics and a bigger world. Def preferred music of first game too.

And it's remaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

10+ Year Old Account
    The best outcome IMO! In for the Steam version.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

15+ Year Old Account
    Unless they change the gameplay ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

[x] Mildly intrigued, since I haven't played any of the previous games before.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    And it's remaster.
    God damn that music. I love Automata but theres just something about Nier Replicant/Gestalt that grabs me way more and its going to be interesting to see how much of the remaster includes sections that were cut from the original and replaced with a text adventure due to time and budget constraints.

- - - Updated - - -

and now they announced a mobile spin off to Automata called Nier Re[in]carnation set in some new place called "The Cage".

-hang on now some other stuff is making it sound like its actually about a reincarnated Khaine and a shade covered in a sheet? dang.

- - - Updated - - -

So Nier Replicant isn't just a remake of Nier from the PS3 but "Nier 1.22474487139..." and they confirmed a new ending, a new character and that 9s and 2b's voice actors are involved, probably not as the characters we know but i wouldn't be surprised if the original android the 9 series is based on that started the whole "my model line is going to repeatedly lead to the destruction of Yorha over and over again as an act of revenge" doctor guy from the stage play or something similar knowing Taro. Unless the androids end up being revealed to be based on humans that died during the WCS outbreak rather than original people/personalities i guess.
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2020-03-29 at 10:16 AM.

Nice, though I wonder if it will have the option to play as both dad Nier and brother Nier.
    Will probably just play it for the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Nice, though I wonder if it will have the option to play as both dad Nier and brother Nier.
    Will probably just play it for the music.
    My guess is that they won't bring back Gestalt version, only Replicant gets remaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Man explaining this to friends who only know of/played Automata is the most impenetrable shit ever.

-First theres Drakengard which explains the Red Eye, the Watchers and its ending E is the beginning of Nier
    -Then NieR is what happens after ending E and setting up why humanity is extinct in Automata
    -Then Drakengard 3 explains the timeline bullshit including the multi dimensional Android accord and the connection between dragons and the watchers who work for the unseen gods that cause the Red Eye, and maybe time is literally cyclical here and this is in the Automata timeline not Drakengard 1?
    -Then Grimoire NieR that explains all the cut content from NieR
    -Then the Drag-On-Dragoon 10th anniversary novel which has a bunch of short stories like "Fires of Prometheus" which not only set up Automata but certain cutscenes in 9s' story are contextless and meaningless without reading this
    -Then the Yorha Pearl Harbour Stage play about A2 and Anemone and the Red Eye become a machine virus
    -Then the Yorha Boys Stage play about the Original 9 unit, why the E series keeps killing them and why male yorha androids are no longer allowed to act in combat roles
    -THEN Nier Automata

And thats like the basic stuff. When you've been a fan for years its been a slow drip feed thing but thats a lotta homework to drop on someone all at once huh? But shit like the Walls of Jericho, Project Replicant, Pacts and Accord in general must be the most confusing shit for people who just got their goth android booty fix.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Man explaining this to friends who only know of/played Automata is the most impenetrable shit ever.

-First theres Drakengard which explains the Red Eye, the Watchers and its ending E is the beginning of Nier
    -Then NieR is what happens after ending E and setting up why humanity is extinct in Automata
    -Then Drakengard 3 explains the timeline bullshit including the multi dimensional Android accord and the connection between dragons and the watchers who work for the unseen gods that cause the Red Eye, and maybe time is literally cyclical here and this is in the Automata timeline not Drakengard 1?
    -Then Grimoire NieR that explains all the cut content from NieR
    -Then the Drag-On-Dragoon 10th anniversary novel which has a bunch of short stories like "Fires of Prometheus" which not only set up Automata but certain cutscenes in 9s' story are contextless and meaningless without reading this
    -Then the Yorha Pearl Harbour Stage play about A2 and Anemone and the Red Eye become a machine virus
    -Then the Yorha Boys Stage play about the Original 9 unit, why the E series keeps killing them and why male yorha androids are no longer allowed to act in combat roles
    -THEN Nier Automata

And thats like the basic stuff. When you've been a fan for years its been a slow drip feed thing but thats a lotta homework to drop on someone all at once huh? But shit like the Walls of Jericho, Project Replicant, Pacts and Accord in general must be the most confusing shit for people who just got their goth android booty fix.

So I've only played Drakengard 1 and 2 and this whole thing is extra confusing to me too, haha. I'd love for Drakengard to come back for current consoles though, remastered or more games, either.
    Last edited by Lakrin; 2020-03-29 at 01:40 PM. Reason: didn't quote

Quote Originally Posted by Lakrin View Post
    So I've only played Drakengard 1 and 2 and this whole thing is extra confusing to me too, haha. I'd love for Drakengard to come back for current consoles though, remastered or more games, either.
    Taro didn't have anything to do with 2 so its not considered canon since nothing after ever touched on it again. But in the longrun its all kind of like Dark Souls where you can just play through and ignore it i guess.

But unless they fix it the eagle egg grind is still going to be true suffering for the final ending.

Music and story replicant/gestalt is amazing so recommend for people that haven't played it but ehhhhhhhhhhhhh if the gameplay isn't vastly upgraded I don't think I can bring myself to play that jank again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakrin View Post
    2 always drove me nuts. Nowe was an absolute punch in the dick after the loveable psychopath that was Caim. He pretty much doomed the world and destroyed the order of knights his own adopted dad got him into, all because he couldn't say no to Mannah's boobs. At least she had the excuse of being messed up in the head. He was just an idiot pretty boy... sorta like his dad.

15+ Year Old Account
    Im gonna laugh if they dont change how to get the fish and 90% of people drop it there again

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Im gonna laugh if they dont change how to get the fish and 90% of people drop it there again
    I still can't think of a videogame review that made a journalist a laughing stock like the "0/10, broken and unbeatable" one because some journalist was fishing on the wrong side of a ramp for hours.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    I still can't think of a videogame review that made a journalist a laughing stock like the "0/10, broken and unbeatable" one because some journalist was fishing on the wrong side of a ramp for hours.
    Then again, game design has to be intuitive. Most people are not playing games to work, but to have fun and relax. I have seen way too much shit being excused via "git gud"...
    On the other hand - some game journalists really, really should stop being braindead when playing games. You have done that for years, can't you really figure some things out or have a bit faster reaction time?