Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter18 View Post
    Half of the zones are more light based than shadowy
    The only light based zone is Bastion (and the capital city; forgot its name). Revendreth, Maldraxxus and the Maw are all pretty dark, and Ardenweald is ruled over by the Night Fae, hence why it's a shadowy forest.

Don't play a PG-13 game if you need dark shit in every corner of it. Warhammer is that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson View Post
    Since we're dealing with the realm of death and torment
    Realm of death, yes.

Realm of torment? No.

The only thing that's torment really is the Maw. Even Revendreth is a place of attonement, not torment.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonrage View Post
    Eh, I disagree. The Night Fae use anima that souls bring with them to infuse spritits of nature. But they just use the anima, it's never stated that the soul dies or is destroyed in the proces.

Ardenweald seems like the chillest afterlife tbh. Just hanging out with faeries and faunboys in a magical forest. I'd take it over the others.
    Sounds like to me that you can just spend you time resting. I agree, it's better than Blue Man Group hell, Sadist vampires and something similar to the Scourge but it's Military-like lol
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warcraft in general is really dark, the problem is people don't bother to read quest text or skip over cutscenes. Yeah, the style doesn't show it and there aren't desiccated corpses everywhere, but the general story has always been pretty dark. It is like Diablo 3, it had a lot of dark stuff in it (as is natural for it) but just because it didn't look "grim" like D2 everyone was complaining it was a cartoon. It probably had as much if not more dark stuff than D2 did.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Ah, the fairy part should've clued me in, I was thinking the glowing angelic looking one where they completely mindwipe everyone that joins, destroying their former selves.
    Oh yeah I agree on that one. In a way, it makes sense to have your memories erased, but it's still a little messed up. People see Angels and blue skies and immediately think of Heaven, so it's nice to have a little inversion here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Realm of death, yes.

Realm of torment? No.

The only thing that's torment really is the Maw. Even Revendreth is a place of attonement, not torment.
    The Venthyr are quite sadistic tbh. One of their activities is releasing souls into the forest, giving them a false sense of security and hope, only for the Venthyr to hunt them down, take them back to their Castle and torture them some more.

Pretty dark if you ask me.

The Venthyr are quite sadistic tbh. One of their activities is releasing souls into the forest, giving them a false sense of security and hope, only for the Venthyr to hunt them down, take them back to their Castle and torture them some more.

Pretty dark if you ask me.
    I didnt know, thats sick.
    Reminds me of The Predator.

And quite strange...Venthyr didnt seem like the "hunter" type...maybe a british type of hunter?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    I didnt know, thats sick.
    Reminds me of The Predator.

And quite strange...Venthyr didnt seem like the "hunter" type...maybe a british type of hunter?
    I'd say Eastern European. And vampires in lore have always been known to stalk their victims, so it's not that surprising imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson View Post
    Yeah if you let your imagination go and even in-game there's a number of dark things happening, but as far as questing goes it's little in between a myriad of "go collect 10 carrots".
    That’s true. However I love when blizz puts little things in the game that have horror elements or are just straight up dark. Like the cannibal troll questline, human farm or gnoll tents for example. Even just recently, there’s hanging bodies in the vision of stormwind with missing limbs and shit, pretty intense. I don’t want that to be too common personally, don’t want it to lose its effect if that makes sense but I would like to see more questlines like the one you mentioned.
    Last edited by Taeldorian; 2020-03-30 at 12:46 AM.

I'd say Eastern European. And vampires in lore have always been known to stalk their victims, so it's not that surprising imo.
    Ah yes, the vampire thing ofcourse. How could i forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Ah, the fairy part should've clued me in, I was thinking the glowing angelic looking one where they completely mindwipe everyone that joins, destroying their former selves.
    Based on what we know, Fae might be a better word than Fairy.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Based on what we know, Fae might be a better word than Fairy.
    There’s a difference between the two?

I would like some interesting dark stuff, sure.

But you forget that the average WoW player's definition of "dark" is "edgy." You shouldn't expect any actual propositions for good storylines here. Blizzard has a lot of genuinely dark plotlines in the books that I would love to see translated to the game, however.

Honestly, the plot for Shadowlands is pretty dark as it is. Heroes are being denied their rightful afterlives and instead funneled away to a dark and twisted hellscape where they are tortured for eternity unless we free them from their torment. Ardenweald is starving and rotting away, so many animals (and, potentially, even Night Elves that were freed from the Maw) are going to be unable to reincarnate. Bastion is becoming stagnant and unable to reproduce its Kyrians. Revendreth has fallen to an ironic decadence, and violence overtakes a once-noble realm of redemption (albeit through violent means.)

Frankly, that's dark enough for me. You don't have to have some sad, twisted ending, either - a dark plotline can still have a happy ending and not feel like an asspull. Not everything's all about gloom and sadness, and it frankly annoys me when people substitute "dark" for "good."

Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    It actually started with GOATS.
    fixed your flaw there

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    Why not break the mold? Why not have something positive?

The last expansion lead to both factions armies being decimated...countless deaths including civilians...and we learned innocent souls are being funneled to WoW hell

Why does every single little thing need to be dark? To the point that even Star Trek....a show built on a hopeful utopian future for the human race has gone full on dystopia because people want everything soooooo dark

Well the world is dark...fuck that I want something inspirational and meaningful, not just another slaughter.
    Pretty much this!

Some developers need to take beat on this never ending darkness. You can actually be a hero without any toxicity around you. There are plenty of cool themes to be exhausted that doesn't involve a fucking apocalypse on every single corner.

There’s a difference between the two?
    There's a bit of a difference in connotations. People are going to think of different parts of the spectrum first depending on which you use, and Ardenweald looks like it's more on the Fae side of things, not so much on the Tinkerbell.

me proceeds to cannonball 200 alliance soldiers from the distance.
    Fathers and Sons. Just freaking cannonballed or crushed by rolling fidget spinner and I got 12 gold for that!
    Few months later - Hero, lets forget that you killed, crushed and burned literally thousands of my soldiers, you are hero of Azeroth!
    This is dark and sad. Can u imagine how many limbs there are flying around when you bomb 200 freaking soldiers?!
    edit: I know it's just a game, but I really question the morals of my character sometimes.
    Also I forgot, we burned the damn tree.
    Last edited by erifwodahs; 2020-03-30 at 11:44 AM.

There is no need to add dark stuff... because people don't care about the written story in Questtexts. If it would work like in SWTOR where everything is voiced... that would be different.
    But normal quests are glossed over by nearly everyone.

Also there IS dark stuff ingame. The mother who sacrifices her child. Drustvaar.
    And i too would like to see more of it BUT you have to acknowledge that WoW is just not a dark game. Its logenvity is supported by its comicstyle graphics which are to a degree timeless. But also undermine anything truely serious like some stuff in ESO for example.

To be fair, Pandaren was horsecrap except for Shaohao

Quote Originally Posted by erifwodahs View Post
    me proceeds to cannonball 200 alliance soldiers from the distance.
    Fathers and Sons. Just freaking cannonballed or crushed by rolling fidget spinner and I got 12 gold for that!
    Few months later - Hero, lets forget that you killed, crushed and burned literally thousands of my soldiers, you are hero of Azeroth!
    This is dark and sad. Can u imagine how many limbs there are flying around when you bomb 200 freaking soldiers?!
    edit: I know it's just a game, but I really question the morals of my character sometimes.
    Also I forgot, we burned the damn tree.
    shit like this was a staple of the Warcraft RTSes, and I'm talking waaay before Culling of Stratholme
    I think Warcraft 2 had a mission where you literally burned down and entire enemy base just to kill some traitors hiding inside it
    Then you curbstomp Dalaran into Oblivion by buring it to the ground with Dragons

https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/The_..._(Warcraft_II)