Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang View Post
    Apparently the Wuhan Virus moniker and variations is used plentifully in East Asia.
    Sure, that is fine. Like I said, I don't have a problem with the name. I have a problem with someone insisting we use that name, when other people in that conversation are not using it.

It is like calling Obama a black president. It is perfectly fine to refer to him as that, as it is factually true. However if a group of people is having a conversation about Obama's foreign policy, and one person keeps repeatedly emphasizing he is a black president, in reguard to unrelated issues like Afghanistan or his Drone program, then that is definitely going to come off as racist. It isn't racist to refer to him as a "Successful Black Candidate for President", it is a bit racist to refer to "A Black President's failed Afghan policies".

If people in some part of the world are using the name "Wuhan Virus" to describe the disease, that is fine, it is factually accurate. Trying to rename it to "Wuhan Virus" after everyone in the country is calling it something different is... suspicious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    However, insisting on calling it "Wuhan Virus" when it already has a better, more specific name, and nobody else is calling it "Wuhan Virus" just raises all sorts of suspicion as to why you want to call it that.
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeverybody in this thread knows full well that Trump insisting on calling it the Chinese virus (until he had a good call with Jinping then it was magically coronavirus again for a day) is just a way to deflect and distract. Everyone also knows it has the side effect of inflaming racial animosity. The difference is the people on the right are ok with all of that.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

not only it came from china but china knew way earlier about it and hid all the information so calling china virus is not racist at all . if you think that you try to excuse the shitty practices of said country

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Nope, I actually think calling it "China Virus" is fine, at least in far as sensitivity (It is extremely unspecific, which is a problem), "Wuhan virus" is totally OK as far as I am concerned. However, insisting on calling it "Wuhan Virus" when it already has a better, more specific name, and nobody else is calling it "Wuhan Virus" just raises all sorts of suspicion as to why you want to call it that.

That is why it seems a bit racist. There is an agenda behind it, not a linguistic problem. The name of the disease is Covid-19, the name of the virus is SARS-CoV-2, names in common use include "Coronavirus" and "Novel Coronavirus". When one particular political faction insists on calling it something totally different, it is reasonable to look at why. Racism is all about context, especially in language. When it comes from government sources, the Racism isn't usually the end objective, it is a byproduct of attempting to shift blame. So the concern is not that "China virus" is racist. The concern really isn't even that the administration is using it in a racist way. The concern is that the Administration is attempting to use it to shift that narrative, and that in turn has the potential to inspire racist actions.

Anyway, not really the intent of the thread. The line you quoted was only in the OP specifically to state that this is a different discussion from that.
    I see what you are saying. The thing is there are many more than 1 race in China and even in Wuhan for that matter. If the virus came from America.. lets say Colorado and the world dubbed it the Colorado Virus or American Virus. Would that then also be racist? Using your logic it would. But in reality it would absolutely not be racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yes, I think a company should be legally allowed to refuse to serve black people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    I don't know what you are watching, but it isn't fucking reality.
    Hes talking about me saying Joe Biden has dementia. LOL

10+ Year Old Account
    Yall focusing on TCM but there's a whole industry of homeopathic medicine that needs go. The FDA needs to something more with supplements, at least make sure the stuff isn't poison even if useless.

There needs to be a clamping down on profit making potential in pharmaceuticals. People get over/under prescribed for the $$$.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Yall focusing on TCM but there's a whole industry of homeopathic medicine that needs go. The FDA needs to something more with supplements, at least make sure the stuff isn't poison even if useless.
    While you're not wrong, you're entirely missing the context (and possibly even the point) of this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    While you're not wrong, you're entirely missing the context (and possibly even the point) of this thread.
    Yeah I realized that after I posted.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehct View Post
    I see what you are saying. The thing is there are many more than 1 race in China and even in Wuhan for that matter. If the virus came from America.. lets say Colorado and the world dubbed it the Colorado Virus or American Virus. Would that then also be racist? Using your logic it would. But in reality it would absolutely not be racist.
    If, in your hypothetical example, the government of China insisted upon calling a virus that originated in America the "America virus" whilst also stumbling to contain the virus in china at every single step, severely under reacting to the situation, having their president spread dire misinformation that eventually cost people their lives, all while generally promoting an attitude of unquestioning insular blind faith to unqualified individuals and spurring the advice of actual doctors, then yes, I'd be suspect of them naming it "the America Virus," because it'd be patently obvious they were trying to shift blame.

Cuz if those things happened, it'd be exactly like Trump and the republicans calling this thing the "China Virus."
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2020-03-31 at 12:32 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post

There needs to be a clamping down on profit making potential in pharmaceuticals. People get over/under prescribed for the $$$.
    Yeah, the levels of profit made in pharmaceuticals right now should be illegal. Yes, you should be able to make profit, but at least force it as 'not-for-profit' or something. People are dying while drugs sit on shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Allow me to point out the problem with that logic.
    The flaw in my logic? Rich. What you engage in below is what's known as a false equivalency.
    Hardened career criminal shows up to your house, proceeds to murder you and your entire family then lays claim to all your assets.
    The reason this is a false equivalency is because the "criminal" in my case is the virus itself. The thing actually doing the damage. The person who was infected and passed it on wasn't out to kill or rob that other person. The virus was. That's just how microbes work. You go out into public, you risk being exposed. Period.

You might think these examples are somehow different, but they really aren't. It's just you are drawing an arbitrary line between where you personally define personal responsibility ends and begins.
    k.

5+ Year Old Account
    I wonder how Covid-19 will change things, or it won't?

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-04886-8
    26 APRIL 2018
    Chinese physician released after 3 months in jail for criticizing a traditional medicine
    Lawyers and physicians fear the case could silence scientific debate on traditional remedies.

A Chinese doctor who was arrested after he criticized a best-selling traditional Chinese remedy has been released, after more than three months in detention. Tan Qindong had been held at the Liangcheng county detention centre since January, when police said a post Tan had made on social media damaged the reputation of the traditional medicine and the company that makes it.

On 17 April, a provincial court found the police evidence for the case insufficient. Tan, a former anaesthesiologist who has founded several biomedical companies, was released on bail on that day. Tan, who lives in Guangzhou in southern China, is now awaiting trial. Lawyers familiar with Chinese criminal law told Nature that police have a year to collect more evidence or the case will be dismissed. They say the trial is unlikely to go ahead.

The episode highlights the sensitivities over traditional Chinese medicines (TCMs) in China. Although most of these therapies have not been tested for efficacy in randomized clinical trials — and serious side effects have been reported in some1 — TCM has support from the highest levels of government. Criticism of remedies is often blocked on the Internet in China. Some lawyers and physicians worry that Tan’s arrest will make people even more hesitant to criticize traditional therapies.