Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kehego View Post
    They 100% are a cosmetic lmao
    No they are not.

They have their own racials and lore to make them be more than a cosmetic, otherwise they won't be able to justify the whole mess since a highmountain tauren could just be a bunch of antlers and tattoos options when you create a regular tauren.

Is not only about performance, but also the RPG aspect involved here.

The race/class combination has some importance, it always had, since it is a way to represent different archetypes or specific units that are basically treated as the same across the board for gameplay reasons. The most common example has always been with paladins, specially if you compare a tauren paladin with a human paladin. Sure, they will always be played the same way, but in terms of lore they are not. That's achieved with the combination of class/race precisely because it's not just a cosmetic, but much more.
    "Mastery Haste will fix it."

but they are

and I 100% don't believe you.
    No, they aren't

Try again

https://imgur.com/a/TqMlRD3

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Geckoo View Post
    No they are not.

They have their own racials and lore to make them be more than a cosmetic, otherwise they won't be able to justify the whole mess since a highmountain tauren could just be a bunch of antlers and tattoos options when you create a regular tauren.

The race/class combination has some importance, it always had, since it is a way to represent different archetypes or specific units that are basically treated as the same across the board for gameplay reasons. The most common example has always been with paladins, specially if you compare a tauren paladin with a human paladin. Sure, they will always be played the same way, but in terms of lore they are not. That's achieved with the combination of class/race precisely because it's not just a cosmetic, but much more.
    Ah, another fellow of intelligence I see, I was beginning to lose hope
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

nah, go grind rep or don't get them
    It’s not really much of a grind anymore

No they are not.

you're on here arguing about a cosmetic and bringing in the rpg lore

but don't want to earn reputation with the race

its actually mindboggling.

So, lemme get this straight. You want to recruit them, but you don't want to earn their trust in a ROLEPLAYING GAME? Lmao

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    It’s not really much of a grind anymore
    Oh, I know. I 100% know

10+ Year Old Account
    Just remove the rep requirements. Still have to do the story but now you can do it in an afternoon instead of over months. They still need a character at 110 or 120, they still have a lot of quests to do, the rep is overkill and provides zero value to the experience whatsoever.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think Allied races are already easy enough to unlock. If you want the reward, you've got to put in the effort.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

you're on here arguing about a cosmetic and bringing in the rpg lore

but don't want to earn reputation with the race

its actually mindboggling.

So, lemme get this straight. You want to recruit them, but you don't want to earn their trust in a ROLEPLAYING GAME? Lmao
    Just for your information, i already have all allied races unlocked, in fact i had all the reputations and questlines required before they released them.

Grinding world quests for a couple of weeks to raise up a reputation does not represent the level of trust with a faction. That's just a way to space out content over time, something that makes a lot of sense when that content is current, but stops making sense as a requirement for this kind of feature once the game has moved on to a new expansion. It still works for cosmetics since those are collectible goals, and a race is not, that's precisely why we are discussing this topic

The questlines? sure, those do represent how you earn their trust and are able to recruit them, the problem is that they are not consistent across the board. Some have massive campaigns, others have one zone, others a few quests and a couple of them have 0 connection with the quests required for them. I won't consider it a problem if those questlines were the only requirement, but the disparity between them doesn't make it a good solution either.

That's why i believe that as soon as the expansion is over, the only requirements should be having the apropiate level and faction to do the unlock quests.

Consider this: at level 109 you are exploring the broken islands looking for artifacts to defeat the legion. At level 110 you are on a boat sailing to Kul'tiras/Zandalar, the legion has already been defeated and we are at war with the other faction. It doesn't matter if you actually played the whole legion campaign or not, as soon as BfA was released the game assumed that any player at level 110 was part of those events, you can still go and do all the stuff if you want to, but you'll be treated as the hero who defeated the legion anyway. And that's exactly what needs to happen with allied races, in fact, it does happen in some way since we interact with NPC's from those legion allied races as part of your faction, no matter if you unlocked them or not, but unlocking them still has an arbitrary wall.

Just for your information, i already have all allied races unlocked, in fact i had all the reputations and questlines required before they released them.

Grinding world quests for a couple of weeks to raise up a reputation does not represent the level of trust with a faction. That's just a way to space out content over time, something that makes a lot of sense when that content is current, but stops making sense as a requirement for this kind of feature once the game has moved on to a new expansion. It still works for cosmetics since those are collectible goals, and a race is not, that's precisely why we are discussing this topic

The questlines? sure, those do represent how you earn their trust and are able to recruit them, the problem is that they are not consistent across the board. Some have massive campaigns, others have one zone, others a few quests and a couple of them have 0 connection with the quests required for them. I won't consider it a problem if those questlines were the only requirement, but the disparity between them doesn't make it a good solution either.

That's why i believe that as soon as the expansion is over, the only requirements should be having the apropiate level and faction to do the unlock quests.

Consider this: at level 109 you are exploring the broken islands looking for artifacts to defeat the legion. At level 110 you are on a boat sailing to Kul'tiras/Zandalar, the legion has already been defeated and we are at war with the other faction. It doesn't matter if you actually played the whole legion campaign or not, as soon as BfA was released the game assumed that any player at level 110 was part of those events, you can still go and do all the stuff if you want to, but you'll be treated as the hero who defeated the legion anyway. And that's exactly what needs to happen with allied races, in fact, it does happen in some way since we interact with NPC's from those legion allied races as part of your faction, no matter if you unlocked them or not, but unlocking them still has an arbitrary wall.
    Doesn't matter if the highmountain tauren only see you as a passer-by, and not an actual ally.

Doesn't matter if the highmountain tauren only see you as a passer-by, and not an actual ally.
    It matters as much as the reputation you have with any other race from your faction: nothing.

Because as soon as BfA is released, the highmountain tauren are already part of the horde no matter if you personally recruited them or not, no matter if you ever set foot in highmountain or not, or even if you know WTF a highmountain is or not.

The problem here is the duality about allied races: they are unlocked like a collectible, but they are not a collectible. They are treated like a new race, but they are not exactly a new race.

It has nothing to do with effort or prestige; it was never hard to unlock, it was never something special. It's about having an appealing game design that doesn't ask a player to go back to content from two years ago, 10 levels later, to grind unchallenging content for 2-3 weeks just to be able to play as the race they want. In other words: the race, combined with the class and all the characteristics involved (cosmetic, lore, performance) is the window we use to experience the game, and so they also work as a selling point for the game. If that kind of selling point is locked behind an outdated wall it's going to be a hard sell.

It matters as much as the reputation you have with any other race from your faction: nothing.

Because as soon as BfA is released, the highmountain tauren are already part of the horde no matter if you personally recruited them or not, no matter if you ever set foot in highmountain or not, or even if you know WTF a highmountain is or not.

The problem here is the duality about allied races: they are unlocked like a collectible, but they are not a collectible. They are treated like a new race, but they are not exactly a new race.

It has nothing to do with effort or prestige; it was never hard to unlock, it was never something special. It's about having an appealing game design that doesn't ask a player to go back to content from two years ago, 10 levels later, to grind unchallenging content for 2-3 weeks just to be able to play as the race they want. In other words: the race, combined with the class and all the characteristics involved (cosmetic, lore, performance) is the window we use to experience the game, and so they also work as a selling point for the game. If that kind of selling point is locked behind an outdated wall it's going to be a hard sell.
    And if a player doesn't want to jump through the hoop, they don't get the unlock. Dassit. Game is 100% playable without hm tauren or velves or KT humans, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsgrace View Post
    Or... just unlock them normally like the rest of us did.
    ^QFT

I know this expansion has been disappointing... but it really isn't that bad to just do the rep work. Hell I have all unlocked and I rarely play Horde. Yes the grind is slow and the content is somewhat boring... but what else are you going to do while stuck at home?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

I mean, didn't they already like double reputation gains for them?

Myself i have all allied races unlocked. I have absolutely no issue with the reputation grind being removed at the start of a new expansion.
    I could easily say hur hur, go do the grind as i play shadowlands,
    since i got most of the reputation as a side benefit from playing the game when the actual content mattered.

Simplest solution, new expac release, gatekeeping gets removed from those allied races, and the ones who played it when i was current get a feat of strength.

I just cant grasp what the mindset is behind certain people denying others access to certain races.. yeah we know you had to grind it, as did i.
    But the fact that the implementation of allied races is such a pathetic " Monthly Active User" shit show which in itself is really user unfriendly.
    Not to mention that as time passes, this grind starts to feel like a double punishment for people sitting out an expansion, or newly joining.

Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    Myself i have all allied races unlocked. I have absolutely no issue with the reputation grind being removed at the start of a new expansion.
    I could easily say hur hur, go do the grind as i play shadowlands,
    since i got most of the reputation as a side benefit from playing the game when the actual content mattered.

Simplest solution, new expac release, gatekeeping gets removed from those allied races, and the ones who played it when i was current get a feat of strength.

I just cant grasp what the mindset is behind certain people denying others access to certain races.. yeah we know you had to grind it, as did i.
    But the fact that the implementation of allied races is such a pathetic " Monthly Active User" shit show which in itself is really user unfriendly.
    Not to mention that as time passes, this grind starts to feel like a double punishment for people sitting out an expansion, or newly joining.
    like double rep?

...I just cant grasp what the mindset is behind certain people denying others access to certain races...
    I do not understand the mindset of believe you are being 'denied access' when you just have to play the game to unlock it... literally nothing keeps you from unlocking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    I do not understand the mindset of believe you are being 'denied access' when you just have to play the game to unlock it... literally nothing keeps you from unlocking it.
    Because you are shortsighted, and incapable of looking beyond what affects you and you alone. I have done this thing, everyone is exactly like me and should do this thing as-well, since i did the thing, how dare they not want to do the thing 6 months from now.... grow up.
    I have the races unlocked, because i played this expac, people that come back from let's say WoD or cata being their last expac played, those are the people who will see what is nothing more then a mind numbing stupidly implemented MAU grind.

An expac should even the playing field. A fresh start for veterans of the game as-well as new players joining.

Because you are shortsighted, and incapable of looking beyond what affects you and you alone. I have done this thing, everyone is exactly like me and should do this thing as-well, since i did the thing, how dare they not want to do the thing 6 months from now.... grow up.
    I have the races unlocked, because i played this expac, people that come back from let's say WoD or cata being their last expac played, those are the people who will see what is nothing more then a mind numbing stupidly implemented MAU grind.

An expac should even the playing field. A fresh start for veterans of the game as-well as new players joining.
    It <is> even. You just miss out on cosmetics, which are something that people who play for years acquire.

Lol imagine thinking you're behind because your cow-man has horns instead of antlers.

It <is> even. You just miss out on cosmetics, which are something that people who play for years acquire.

Lol imagine thinking you're behind because your cow-man has horns instead of antlers.
    No it is not, we play an MMORPG, to say race and racials does not factor into gameplay or the gameplay experience is stupid. As was your double rep comment.

Also the fact that some of us play for a decade vs some playing since last week, there is no difference. User base separation is detrimental to an online game.

No it is not, we play an MMORPG, to say race and racials does not factor into gameplay or the gameplay experience is stupid. As was your double rep comment.
    And you take that double rep and gain the trust of your allies.
    Or you just sit here and complain, new or old player, idgaf.

Grinding rep is an integral part of the mmo-experience. So is deciding "do i want to grind this or not"

your claim that you're somehow "behind" is absolutely false.

...An expac should even the playing field. A fresh start for veterans of the game as-well as new players joining.
    And going back to farm cosmetics should take some time... not be sent in mailbox just for logging in late.

...your claim that you're somehow "behind" is absolutely false.
    ^QFT