Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00965-x
    "Coronavirus lockdowns have changed the way Earth moves

A reduction in seismic noise because of changes in human activity is a boon for geoscientists."
    Great, just in time for April!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos
    First off, sheep? Pray tell what're you implying with that?
    You've been in the US long enough to have heard the undercurrent of stereotypes about Greeks. You also know they're (edit, stereotypes, not Greeks) pretty damned dumb, and calling Chinese peasants for gods' sakes while talking about eating rats out of sewers with the fur on is on no better level.

Second, his phrasing wasn't how it should be said, but there is very valid room for criticism of wet markets and bush meat consumption in China and other parts of Asia.
    With the caveat that one man's exotic meat is another's bush meat, I agree with you. My personal pet peeve on that front is conspicuous consumption of endangered species -- pangolin are high on that list for me, but tigers even more so. His phrasing, however, was right over the line into racist stereotypes.

I've been here 20 years, and that means I saw the old style markets before SARS; while I have no doubt that there are places that do business the way it is portrayed, I've yet to encounter one even after going shopping with Tyger (Cantonese), and Pink (small town Hunan girl) among others. The most exotic thing we found in a market was turtle, the most exotic in a restaurant was a live alligator that was mainly there for show. Rats? Possibly down south, if I recall bamboo rats are popular in one of the SE Asian countries and there is cultural cross over -- but I've been run through the "freak the foreigner out" routine more than a few times and it runs more towards things like grilled sheep penis, no rat. Keep in mind, yes, there was a video of a Chinese girl eating a bat that was "proof" this kind of thing is common in China. Yeah, turned out she was a social influencer who ate it as an exotic dish ... outside of China.

Still, you can criticize without being insulting. Ultimately, the biggest victims of the CCP and Chinese system are the Chinese people. The Chinese leadership deserves all the criticism they get, but leave the folks out of this. It's like a lot of other idiot Europeans blaming all of us Greeks for the actions of banks and politicians. Wet markets, inconsistent food standards, and bush meat are big issues in a lot of the developing world.
    Well said and I agree with all your points. Happily, we're dealing with COVID-19. It could well have been literal plague, there were cases near the end of 2019 in Mongolia, Inner Mongolia, and some reached Beijing. Yep, eating wild game. One might have involved rabbit, but marmot is the usual problem.

That is, a bit of a tricky line though. I say that having upset people with "gory pictures" from American news showing rattlesnake being sold. If you know hunters, then they may well eat deer, elk, moose, wild rabbit, bear, or a whole bunch of other things.

Bottom line, unsanitary food handling is a problem even if it is just chickens.
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2020-04-01 at 10:59 AM. Reason: distinguishing that I'm referring to stereotypes as dumb
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Didn't he claim herd immunity in his first announcement he made, with restrictions following a week afterwards?
    Some restrictions were already in place, the herd immunity got explained a few days later. There never was a plan to let the virus spread deliberately to create herd immunity. And as with all the other countries, measures get adjusted when it's needed. Every measure they took so far is based on experts and WHO models. Perhabs people should actually have a listen to those experts, and then have an informed opinion. I'm aware that other experts disagree with our aproach, but in reality most measures are similar. But to put him on the same level as Bolsonaro, as someone else just typed, is so far from the truth it isn't even funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    You've been in the US long enough to have heard the undercurrent of stereotypes about Greeks. You also know they're pretty damned dumb, and calling Chinese peasants for gods' sakes while talking about eating rats out of sewers with the fur on is on no better level.

With the caveat that one man's exotic meat is another's bush meat, I agree with you. My personal pet peeve on that front is conspicuous consumption of endangered species -- pangolin are high on that list for me, but tigers even more so. His phrasing, however, was right over the line into racist stereotypes.

I've been here 20 years, and that means I saw the old style markets before SARS; while I have no doubt that there are places that do business the way it is portrayed, I've yet to encounter one even after going shopping with Tyger (Cantonese), and Pink (small town Hunan girl) among others. The most exotic thing we found in a market was turtle, the most exotic in a restaurant was a live alligator that was mainly there for show. Rats? Possibly down south, if I recall bamboo rats are popular in one of the SE Asian countries and there is cultural cross over -- but I've been run through the "freak the foreigner out" routine more than a few times and it runs more towards things like grilled sheep penis, no rat. Keep in mind, yes, there was a video of a Chinese girl eating a bat that was "proof" this kind of thing is common in China. Yeah, turned out she was a social influencer who ate it as an exotic dish ... outside of China.

Well said and I agree with all your points. Happily, we're dealing with COVID-19. It could well have been literal plague, there were cases near the end of 2019 in Mongolia, Inner Mongolia, and some reached Beijing. Yep, eating wild game. One might have involved rabbit, but marmot is the usual problem.

That is, a bit of a tricky line though. I say that having upset people with "gory pictures" from American news showing rattlesnake being sold. If you know hunters, then they may well eat deer, elk, moose, wild rabbit, bear, or a whole bunch of other things.

Bottom line, unsanitary food handling is a problem even if it is just chickens.
    So I'm racist for calling out Chinese health practices, but you aren't racist for calling Greeks dumb for some mistified reason?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if we're so dumb, why did we take the right approach by putting up a lockdown immediately? We now have 3 deaths a day, compared to other countries we are basically geniuses.

So I'm racist for calling out Chinese health practices, but you aren't racist for calling Greeks dumb for some mistified reason?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if we're so dumb, why did we take the right approach by putting up a lockdown immediately? We now have 3 deaths a day, compared to other countries we are basically geniuses.
    He's saying stereotypes about Greeks are dumb, as dumb as stereotypes about Chinese eating sewer rats.

Wtf is this going on here now? xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    He's saying stereotypes about Greeks are dumb, as dumb as stereotypes about Chinese eating sewer rats.
    It's not what he meant with the sheep thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post
    Wtf is this going on here now? xD
    I think some dumb greeks are arguing about who has the most sheep or something.

dont ban me this is a joke

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    I think some dumb greeks are arguing about who has the most sheep or something.

dont ban me this is a joke
    Craving for gyros right now

Do you need me to fall down to the level of showing you the myriads of videos of Chinese eating raw rodents?
    And that proves the virus is transferred like that?

Your other post was next level dumb. It's like when one eejit (locky for example) gets banned, another springs in to take their place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noremorze View Post
    Some restrictions were already in place, the herd immunity got explained a few days later. There never was a plan to let the virus spread deliberately to create herd immunity. And as with all the other countries, measures get adjusted when it's needed. Every measure they took so far is based on experts and WHO models. Perhabs people should actually have a listen to those experts, and then have an informed opinion. I'm aware that other experts disagree with our aproach, but in reality most measures are similar. But to put him on the same level as Bolsonaro, as someone else just typed, is so far from the truth it isn't even funny.
    What is funny is that even his political adversaries are saying he is doing a good job. Except for the two right wing nutters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    What is funny is that even his political adversaries are saying he is doing a good job. Except for the two right wing nutters.
    If you're happy with hundreds of dead every day without reaching an inflection point, kudos, really.

If you're happy with hundreds of dead every day without reaching an inflection point, kudos, really.
    Not one single person is happy about people dieing. Good thing we have armchair expert Hellhamster, who knows exactly what's going on and what should be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Think you could be the bigger guy and refrain from arguing pointlessly with the troll?

If its not clear by now, hes not interested in honestly engaging with people. Most of the posts since yesterday evening are you two flogging a dead horse.

Since we're all so well read on pandemics now, guess how you can break this cycle!?
    It got resolved because some of us took us upon ourselves to expose it. This is a serious thread where misinformation could actually cost lifes. It's a safe haven from those creatures

10+ Year Old Account

Your other post was next level dumb. It's like when one eejit (locky for example) gets banned, another springs in to take their place.
    Eating raw animals spreads viruses and other microbiological entities into human cells, so yes. If the virus manages to transfer from one human to the next, it's how you create epidemics. The sooner people learn about hygiene, the better. I'm not lumping all the blame to Chinese, I'm not saying other countries like my own don't do dangerous shit like eating cow brains or whatever, but come on, read about how all the previous epidemics emerged in the world. When is it enough?

If I'm banned for expressing my opinion on the dangers of eating raw animals, so be it.

10+ Year Old Account

Every town needs its clown?

It is however amusing to see people dishing out criticism but unable to take any however.

We will see how the dutch strategy works out for them, i am not getting the impression that everyone is taking it equally seriously and are still seeing this as another holiday season. So long the measures towards companies stay in place and my wage isn't negatively impacted a whole lot let them try their thing. The borders are closed around them anyway for only essential traffic.

People coming to Belgium from Rotterdam for gas and cigarettes, well that's just a kind of special though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Craving for gyros right now
    Gyros is pork.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noremorze View Post
    Not one single person is happy about people dieing. Good thing we have armchair expert Hellhamster, who knows exactly what's going on and what should be done.
    My point is that Rutte didn't have armchair experts like me, he had established people telling him to contain this thing, yet he chose not to at first. Like I said in my post, he did the right thing a week too late. I'm not completely clueless btw, I'm a MSc who knows a thing or two about plant cell morphology and physiology, and viruses are a pretty interesting topic of conversation. Yet even the biggest idiot knows that fast containment is the only thing that works, plus everything concerning RNA viruses in the past has been well documented to prevent bad decisions.

Despite all that, bad decisions were made to preserve momentary currency flow.

Eating raw animals spreads viruses and other microbiological entities into human cells, so yes. If the virus manages to transfer from one human to the next, it's how you create epidemics. The sooner people learn about hygiene, the better. I'm not lumping all the blame to Chinese, I'm not saying other countries like my own don't do dangerous shit like eating cow brains or whatever, but come on, read about how all the previous epidemics emerged in the world. When is it enough?

If I'm banned for expressing my opinion on the dangers of eating raw animals, so be it.
    More like for offering an opinion on how each world leader should be executed because of their perceived failings. Anyway, I'm done responding to you. Have a nice life or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    More like for offering an opinion on how each world leader should be executed because of their perceived failings. Anyway, I'm done responding to you. Have a nice life or something.
    In many countries people are executed for less, but that's my idea of justice for crimes of this scale that affect the lives of pretty much every person on the planet. If you want to put those people on a pedestal, that's mighty Christian of you, myself and probably many others won't be as keen on forgiveness.