10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos
    He's saying stereotypes about Greeks are dumb, as dumb as stereotypes about Chinese eating sewer rats.
    Right, thanks for translating!
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by noremorze View Post
    Some restrictions were already in place, the herd immunity got explained a few days later. There never was a plan to let the virus spread deliberately to create herd immunity. And as with all the other countries, measures get adjusted when it's needed. Every measure they took so far is based on experts and WHO models. Perhabs people should actually have a listen to those experts, and then have an informed opinion. I'm aware that other experts disagree with our aproach, but in reality most measures are similar. But to put him on the same level as Bolsonaro, as someone else just typed, is so far from the truth it isn't even funny.
    I don't disagree with that. But Johnson did personally make really stupid errors.

Not in terms of government policies - but in terms of what he did himself:

Remember: (Leading by)
    Example is not the main thing in influencing others. It is the only thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    I don't disagree with that. But Johnson did personally make really stupid errors.

Not in terms of government policies - but in terms of what he did himself:

Remember: (Leading by)
    Not sure why you replied to me, when I was talking about Rutte only?

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Eating raw animals spreads viruses and other microbiological entities into human cells, so yes. If the virus manages to transfer from one human to the next, it's how you create epidemics. The sooner people learn about hygiene, the better. I'm not lumping all the blame to Chinese, I'm not saying other countries like my own don't do dangerous shit like eating cow brains or whatever, but come on, read about how all the previous epidemics emerged in the world. When is it enough?

If I'm banned for expressing my opinion on the dangers of eating raw animals, so be it.
    You mean epidemics like the Black death, that was transmitted by parasites, or Ebola, which also is transmitted by Parasites, or Influenza, which mutates in its host species of choice and then spreads through that host species as if it was a black Friday sale?

I mean, I'm with you that eating wild animals from regions with known pathogens is incredibly dumb, but so far the most deadly diseases have been in and around humans for a long time and have little to do with consumption. Still no reason not to ban wet markets and the likes.

BTW, Germany has a long tradition of consuming raw (pork) meat, pig hooves, and brain tissue. The inclusion of bovine brain matter has been banned in 2000, but in some delis you can still get 'Gelbwurst' with actual brain in it. I'd not advise to eat that, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    You mean epidemics like the Black death, that was transmitted by parasites, or Ebola, which also is transmitted by Parasites, or Influenza, which mutates in its host species of choice and then spreads through that host species as if it was a black Friday sale?

I mean, I'm with you that eating wild animals from regions with known pathogens is incredibly dumb, but so far the most deadly diseases have been in and around humans for a long time and have little to do with consumption. Still no reason not to ban wet markets and the likes.

BTW, Germany has a long tradition of consuming raw (pork) meat, pig hooves, and brain tissue. The inclusion of bovine brain matter has been banned in 2000, but in some delis you can still get 'Gelbwurst' with actual brain in it. I'd not advise to eat that, though.
    I think at some point when the recession really hits and companies and countries lose their liquidity and millions of people lose their jobs as an immediate effect, essentially increasing levels of global poverty, all because of something that could have been prevented, then yeah, people will be asking questions concerning NOT repeating the same mistakes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    Right, thanks for translating!
    My bad, the way you worded it as well as the previous post with the sheep made me suspicious.

Sorry.

10+ Year Old Account
    I almost think this pandemic has made people act worse as people than better. The amount of bitching online and snapping at others for things that seem very non issue, as well as the rich celebrities already losing their damn minds and need that popularity fix by starting up tiktok and now posting regularly on Instagram. This pandemic has really opened my mind on the state of how we'll cope in a crisis.

Also my girlfriend got her first piece of racial abuse related to this pandemic today (although not her first racial abuse in general)... thanks humanity.

Oh my God guys, its almost halfway through the day and theres only 62 new cases in the USA. It's a miracle!

(Don't shit on me, I'm poking fun at certain people here)

Speaking of food. The article is a bit old but now UN agencies are warning of a potential food crisis...

China’s farmers fear food shortages after coronavirus restrictions

Among other things, closed borders will mean an acute lack of farmhands in many European countries...
    Last edited by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang; 2020-04-01 at 10:31 AM.
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

California unemployment is currently not offering the CARES Act $600 bonus if anyone is wondering. Still $450 a week for the time being. They also still have the waiting period.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Oh my God guys, its almost halfway through the day and theres only 62 new cases in the USA. It's a miracle!
    Trump just created a new law.
    Whoever has the virus, go to jail, not hospital.

This helped a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I almost think this pandemic has made people act worse as people than better. The amount of bitching online and snapping at others for things that seem very non issue
    Makes sense, many are cooped up in their homes, nerves are a bit frayed.
    Even my body starts to react, although it expresses it in an uncontrollable desire to sleep half the day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Gyros is pork.
    I know but al that talking about Greek animals got me craving for Greek meat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Makes sense, many are cooped up in their homes, nerves are a bit frayed.
    Even my body starts to react, although it expresses it in an uncontrollable desire to sleep half the day.
    As someone with anxiety, trust me, I have had a few moments myself :P

Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang View Post
    Among other things, closed borders will mean an acute lack of farmhands in many European countries...
    Yeah, it has been a point of discussion in Germany for a few weeks already - we have many farmhands from Poland and Romania who are no longer helping with the harvest. I see food shortage coming our way soon, it's gonna be a killer for small time farmers...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Still, you can criticize without being insulting. Ultimately, the biggest victims of the CCP and Chinese system are the Chinese people. The Chinese leadership deserves all the criticism they get, but leave the folks out of this.
    Up to a certain extent to be honest. There are certain aspects that can and definitely be blamed on the CCP, however not everything is on them.
    We can't attribute all the sins of people to the people in control an absolve em of it just cause of it.
    There are people like this that exist.

Oddly fittingly story segment in FFXIV Shadowbringers with one of the main antagonist, Vauthry. A powerful person with the power to control sin eaters (main enemy) and influence people around him. Making a paradise for those whom he deems fit and making those that he doesn't like 'disappear'. However when Vauthry fells the people were shown the truth of it all and some tried to weasel their way out of responsibility. Alphinaud noted that even though he was powerful, he wasn't able to completely control every action of the people. Part of the responsibility lies on them for their actions.
    This is basically fitting for many authoritarian country and their citizens when people try to absolve or attribute their sins to the person/people in power.

The CCP didn't make people do this for example.
    https://twitter.com/liqunchen/status...09967651819520
    or suggest to sabotage medical equipment
    http://archive.is/C9hsS
    or celebrating the amount of infected in the US or Japan's infections.
    https://tw.news.yahoo.com/%E6%89%AF-...100708194.html
    This is aside from the massive amount of racism/xenophobia shown within china.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ftZdHnHBHo

Even with that all said, there are decent people there. Those that try to leak information, video, and even those above cases whistle blowing stuff that could be catastrophic for everyone are good examples. However this blanket chinese people are fine the CCP isn't is not doing any good. The government needs to change, but the people also do too. Yes, propaganda is hell of a thing, but you still have to follow it. They can't keep being the victim of something, whether it's internal or external.

Before people inevitably point out the problems towards asians outside of asia, yeah I know, it's a problem, we can deal with both.

Quote Originally Posted by noremorze View Post
    Not sure why you replied to me, when I was talking about Rutte only?
    Oops - sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

But you don't need much education for being a farmhand, right?

And people expect high unemployment - in particular in service industries.

I believe I see a solution.

Seems this thread cannot keep itself from falling into the same roundabout "discussion" about China and CCP.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    edge edge edge
    Dude, are you feeling well?

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of food. The article is a bit old but now UN agencies are warning of a potential food crisis...

China’s farmers fear food shortages after coronavirus restrictions

I am in favour of using those who have been unemployment for a long time in the agriculture and other sectors. Sadly some believe this to be discriminating the unemployed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster
    My bad, the way you worded it as well as the previous post with the sheep made me suspicious.
    No problem, I can see now how you might have read it that way and tried to edit to reflect my intent to comment on stereotypes as dumb -- not Greeks.

@Skulltaker Right, while I love Black Forest ham, I'm of an age that grew up concerned about trichinosis and thought twice about it the first time I tried it. Now, dormouse anyone?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Seems this thread cannot keep itself from falling into the same roundabout "discussion" about China and CCP.

Dude, are you feeling well?
    Great reply and retort, I'll mark it for future historians.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    I am in favour of using those who have been unemployment for a long time in the agriculture and other sectors. Sadly some believe this to be discriminating the unemployed.
    If they pay, I don't see why people wouldn't jump at the opportunity. Having money is better than having no money.