Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Only playing it because of the universe. Both trails in the sky and ao/zero are amazing, but CS feels like filler crap. Bond events with a harem is responsible for a lot of that. The other part is CS "nerfing" so many strong characters like Arianrhod.

In zero/ao you had that amazing feeling of every enemy feeling like a leage of their own. Same with Ourorboros characters on trails. But cold steel is all about rean and the divine knights.

Hopefully the chapter 4 makes up for it with Estelle and Lloyd coming to help.
    Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    You say that, but when CS1 came out we already had confirmation for CS2.
    I hope you are right, but we still haven't heard anything about CS4 and it's now been what? 5 months since CS3 came out? Feels bad man.

Btw staff that worked on CS1 and 2 on xseed were brought in to help nisa with cs3.
    I am honestly not one of those people that are super strict with the licalisation. CS3 was fine.
    They weren't hired by NISA just contracted by them to help. They aren't NISA employees right now either.

NISA wasn't going to announced CS4 before they get the PC and Switch ports of CS3 out, it would be terrible business. Just look at the PC port and how long it took NISA to contract that out, and a damn Switch port on top of it. It already demonstrates how they get shit done faster then NISA.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by evertonbelmontt View Post
    Only playing it because of the universe. Both trails in the sky and ao/zero are amazing, but CS feels like filler crap. Bond events with a harem is responsible for a lot of that. The other part is CS "nerfing" so many strong characters like Arianrhod.

In zero/ao you had that amazing feeling of every enemy feeling like a leage of their own. Same with Ourorboros characters on trails. But cold steel is all about rean and the divine knights.

Hopefully the chapter 4 makes up for it with Estelle and Lloyd coming to help.
    CS4 is trash(by trails standards, it's still a decent RPG overall) IMO. CS3 on the other hand is the best entry in the entire trails franchise. You can't even have a harem in CS so not sure wtf you're talking about with that either. You have 1 romance option per playthrough. It ain't Persona build up the whole harem to get meme'd on valentines day.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-03-26 at 03:53 AM.

What the hell is a clunky translation? First two were localised by xseed and they were near flawless. I came across some typos on CS3, but it could've been worse.
    It's not about there being mistakes, it's just that the dialogue doesn't flow in some places and feels awkward. The Japanese dialog feels much more natural despite the egregious exposition. But that's nothing new for JRPGs it can be tough to get it right. You also don't want to overcompensate like Alex O. Smith and his iambic pentameter... ¬_¬ It's really just a minor gripe, it's overall a solid translation it just could have used more polish. It's more 8/10 than 5/10, that kind of feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    They weren't hired by NISA just contracted by them to help. They aren't NISA employees right now either.

NISA wasn't going to announced CS4 before they get the PC and Switch ports of CS3 out, it would be terrible business. Just look at the PC port and how long it took NISA to contract that out, and a damn Switch port on top of it. It already demonstrates how they get shit done faster then NISA.

- - - Updated - - -

CS4 is trash(by trails standards, it's still a decent RPG overall) IMO. CS3 on the other hand is the best entry in the entire trails franchise. You can't even have a harem in CS so not sure wtf you're talking about with that either. You have 1 romance option per playthrough. It ain't Persona build up the whole harem to get meme'd on valentines day.
    Again, i hope you are right, but i fear you aren't. The translation team and the coding team should not impact each other very much. So, i hope they have been working on CS4 in the meanwhile, cause otherwise there is no chance we will get it this year.
    It's especially bad cause the odd numbered entries tend to end in awful cliffhangers.

Again, i hope you are right, but i fear you aren't. The translation team and the coding team should not impact each other very much. So, i hope they have been working on CS4 in the meanwhile, cause otherwise there is no chance we will get it this year.
    It's especially bad cause the odd numbered entries tend to end in awful cliffhangers.
    The CS3 cliffhanger is a better ending then the trash "finale" that is CS4. Also if you don't think they're working on CS4 and haven't been since finished CS3 idk what to tell you. Don't expect it announced anytime soon in middle of covid-19 outbreak either even though the PC and Switch versions are out.

They also still have to localize YS IX and many other non falcom projects, it's not like NISA just handles falcom's shit so it was never a guarantee you would get CS4 this year anyways. They might even wait on PC and Switch versions to be done for day and date releases for CS4 release instead of neutering their sales potential in the west with PS4 version early and people watching lets plays instead of buying it. If I had to wager though CS4 will be a late 2020 release on PS4 at least in the west.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-03-27 at 05:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Trails of Cold Steel III is out on PC!
    Steam - $60
    GOG - $60

Just like with the first two PC releases, if you buy now you get extra stuff like costumes for free.

Before you start a new game, be sure to go to the options menu and invert the horizontal camera axis and turn the voice volume down 5 notches.
    Yay started playing it in pc yesterday (I have all of the previous Legend of Heroes series in steam).

So far just 10+ hours so didn't reach that far. The start of the game is not as strong as the second Cold Steel but it is not bad at all, kinda reminded me of the first Cold Steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Yay started playing it in pc yesterday (I have all of the previous Legend of Heroes series in steam).

So far just 10+ hours so didn't reach that far. The start of the game is not as strong as the second Cold Steel but it is not bad at all, kinda reminded me of the first Cold Steel.
    I'm currently 26 hours in, finished chapter 1 last night. I've been writing notes as I go long, will probably publish them once I finish the game.

I have... mixed opinions. It's right now suffering from Trails part 2 syndrome, ie where the first part of a Trails arc is usually consistently good all the way through (FC, Zero, CS1+2), but then you reach part 2 and the quality is all over the place, with high highs and low lows (SC, Ao, and right now CS3).

I've elaborated more in my notes, but I feel like the dialogue is heavily padded in CS3. There is a lot of regurgitation of information that was already established a few hours earlier. The writers are throwing out fanservice references to characters and events to prior games that have no relevance to the situation at hand, whilst inexplicably failing to recall the characters and events from prior games that are actually relevant (and important!) to the immediate situation. There is also a lot of badly written "as you know" dialogue. Ouroboros is also dominating the story again, which sucks given how terrible that organization that continues to haunt this franchise (the great thing about the part 1's of Trails arcs is that Ouroboros is either sidelined. such as in FC and Zero, or the writers realized how absolutely stupid the whole idea of Ouroboros was and decided to make them as entertainingly hammy as possible, such as in CS2). Powerlevel bullshit is worse than ever before. The end result is that CS3 feels very sluggish. I feel like more happened in the first 25 hours of FC, Zero, CS1, and CS2 than in the first 25 hours of CS3. I think CS1 had a far stronger first 25 hours than CS3.

The music changes also baffle me. CS1+2 had an amazing soundtrack, one of the best Falcom ever produced. So many iconic character themes that resonate with people. And yet... CS3 ditches pretty much all of those songs for a new OST. I've only heard two CS1 songs thus far and none from CS2. Why? Falcom had no problem reusing FC and Zero songs for SC and Ao. It's more infuriating when previously iconic songs, like CS2's Awakening or Law of the Battlefield, were ditched for far less memorable songs (such as Lift Off and Imbroglio).

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying the game. The new character models and the lighting looks absolutely fantastic. I love the new battle theme, Brave Steel, and the new victory theme. They are now tied with CS1 and FC as my favorite battle and victory themes respectively. Being able to visit every student's dorm room is nice. I also like how we get to visit two towns every chapter instead of just the one (though CS3 only has four chapters instead of CS1's 6, and many of CS3's locations are places that we had already visited in previous games). The lack of Overdrive aside, CS3 has a great battle system.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2020-03-27 at 10:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm currently 26 hours in, finished chapter 1 last night. I've been writing notes as I go long, will probably publish them once I finish the game.

I have... mixed opinions. It's right now suffering from Trails part 2 syndrome, ie where the first part of a Trails arc is usually consistently good all the way through (FC, Zero, CS1+2), but then you reach part and the quality is all over the place, with high highs and low lows (SC, Ao, and right now CS3).

I've elaborated more in my notes, but I feel like the dialogue is heavily padded in CS3. There is a lot of regurgitation of information that was already established a few hours earlier. The writers are throwing out fanservice references to characters and events to prior games that have no relevance to the situation at hand, whilst inexplicably failing to recall the characters and events from prior games that are actually relevant (and important!) to the immediate situation. There is also a lot of badly written "as you know" dialogue. Ouroboros is also dominating the story again, which sucks given how terrible that organization that continues to haunt this franchise (the great thing about the part 1's of Trails arcs is that Ouroboros is either sidelined. such as in FC and Zero, or the writers realized how absolutely stupid the whole idea of Ouroboros was and decided to make them as entertainingly hammy as possible, such as in CS2). Powerlevel bullshit is worse than ever before. The end result is that CS3 feels very sluggish. I feel like more happened in the first 25 hours of FC, Zero, CS1, and CS2 than in the first 25 hours of CS3. I think CS1 had a far stronger first 25 hours than CS3.

The music changes also baffle me. CS1+2 had an amazing soundtrack, one of the best Falcom ever produced. So many iconic character themes that resonate with people. And yet... CS3 ditches pretty much all of those songs for a new OST. I've only heard two CS1 songs thus far and none from CS2. Why? Falcom had no problem reusing FC and Zero songs for SC and Ao. It's more infuriating when previously iconic songs, like CS2's Awakening or Law of the Battlefield, were ditched for far less memorable songs (such as Lift Off and Imbroglio).

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying the game. The new character models and the lighting looks absolutely fantastic. I love the new battle theme, Brave Steel, and the new victory theme. They are now tied with CS1 and FC as my favorite battle and victory themes respectively. Being able to visit every student's dorm room is nice. I also like how we get to visit two towns every chapter instead of just the one (though CS3 only has four chapters instead of CS1's 6, and many of CS3's locations are places that we had already visited in previous games). The lack of Overdrive aside, CS3 has a great battle system.

I see!!! I respect your point of view and opinion my friend! but you can call me crazy but I enjoy every moment they mention or show us anything related to Ouroboros ( one of the main reasons why Sky SC is my favorite of the entire series is exactly because of how heavy focused it was about Ouroboros and ofc the ending of FC also gave it a nice head up start).

Yeah I agree about the sound tracks. So far I only got one catchy nice sound track which is this:

Really amazing sound track.

I have... mixed opinions. It's right now suffering from Trails part 2 syndrome, ie where the first part of a Trails arc is usually consistently good all the way through (FC, Zero, CS1+2), but then you reach part 2 and the quality is all over the place, with high highs and low lows (SC, Ao, and right now CS3).

Chap 1 is pretty slow, but things really start to pick up in chap 3, so it gets better eventually. I would also disagree more happened at the start of FC, seeing as how that game has the dubious honor of being the only Kiseki game I got bored of and stopped playing for an extended period. Writing in regards to Ouroboros is awful in 3 for sure, and from the spoilers I've come across in 4 it only gets worse. That being said, I'm not too fond of the overarching story in 3 either, but seeing as how CS3/4 are the usual duology, maybe it gets better. When it comes to music... I'll just say I probably have odd tastes in what I like as far as the OST since I considered FC / SC easily bottom of the barrel in that category, though I'll note CS3 is weaker than both 1/2 (and judging from tracks I've heard from 4, also it). I very much enjoyed Lift-Off oddly enough, as well as a few others like Solid as the Rock of Juno, in addition to a few others that come later in the game.

Things you haven't mentioned like the voice acting being rather uneven compared to what I remember in CS1/2 with many of the added characters being rather suspect. The localization wasn't nearly as bad as some of the doomsayers said it would be, but there are still some minor things here and there. I also wouldn't say that most of these locations have been visited before. The game does seem padded, but you could absolutely say CS2 was much more so.

It's confirmed!

(don't watch if you aren't done with CS3. Spoilers abound!)

Trails of CS4 is coming out this fall for PS4 and next year for PC and Switch.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's confirmed!

(don't watch if you aren't done with CS3. Spoilers abound!)

Trails of CS4 is coming out this fall for PS4 and next year for PC and Switch.
    Even if you have finished CS3, if you don't want any spoilers for CS4 don't watch it either. There's one definite CS4 spoiler in there

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    Even if you have finished CS3, if you don't want any spoilers for CS4 don't watch it either. There's one definite CS4 spoiler in there
    Hell, that trailer spoils less then the intro does tbf lmfao. Anyways big shock it got announced right after the PC and Switch versions of CS3 released while that one guy was panicking it might not happen lol.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-04-01 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Hell, that trailer spoils less then the intro does tbf lmfao. Anyways big shock it got announced right after the PC and Switch versions of CS3 released while that one guy was panicking it might not happen lol.
    I don't understand why Falcom has been filling their openings with spoilers. I think it began with the FC evolution rerelease in 2015. The SC and Ao evo openings just straight up spoil endgame developments.

- - - Updated - - -

Also doesn't help that THE day a game launches, Falcom's twitter account begins throwing out spoilers left and right.

Super excited for this. Already played cs4 with the translation thinger but it was a pretty awful experience. Can't wait for the official NA version

wait what? what is the spoiler? are you referring to the characters?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dk3790 View Post
    wait what? what is the spoiler? are you referring to the characters?
    Nah, not even that, character appearances and such i don't really qualify as spoilers.
    The announcement trailer shows (CS4 spoiler) Rufus being the awakener of the golden divine knight

I say that as someone who thinks the intro sequences aren't even particularly spoilery. It's all either just characters that appear in the game (like i said, don't really consider that spoilers) or things with no context, such as CS3's intro having (CS3 spoiler) the courageous blow up, except if you don't freeze-frame it and know it happens, it's just a random explosion in the air

Yeah, i confess i just skimmed through it. Got one spoiler and decided to not watch it.

Guys, lets not debate the spoilers. Lets just be happy it's confirmed.

I don't understand why Falcom has been filling their openings with spoilers. I think it began with the FC evolution rerelease in 2015. The SC and Ao evo openings just straight up spoil endgame developments.

- - - Updated - - -

Also doesn't help that THE day a game launches, Falcom's twitter account begins throwing out spoilers left and right.
    I seem to recall that is because the Evolution remakes were targeted at people who had already played the originals, thus spoilers weren't seen as too big of a deal.

nice nice, i started so late to the series. I am at the last boss fight of zero now.
    fuck me for not playing this game way before but i think it s better now. I mean i dont need to wait a year or 2 for the next game as they are all here already. I think I will have finished cs series around june. I am also very happy to see cs4 coming to pc.

on a side note, i follow nihon falcom facebook page and i see there is another new game but it seems like a remake of ao and zero? couldn't find detailed info on it in ENglish so can anybody enlighten me?

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    on a side note, i follow nihon falcom facebook page and i see there is another new game but it seems like a remake of ao and zero? couldn't find detailed info on it in ENglish so can anybody enlighten me?
    Falcom announced a PS4 rerelease of the Crossbell games at the end of last year. These ports will have new, updated lore retconned into them. Characters introduced in the Cold Steel games will also be retconned into the Crossbell games.