10+ Year Old Account

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Sounds like Italy has been getting higher numbers with recoveries, and lower number of new cases..."flattening the curve" as it were.
    In total, yes.

However, the flattening is happening in Lombardy, which is surpassing the peak..... but the epidemic is only starting in southern Italy.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Honestly these "lockdown" measures are pretty much a targeted genocide at this point. They're going to kill mroe people than COVID itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    Honestly these "lockdown" measures are pretty much a targeted genocide at this point. They're going to kill mroe people than COVID itself.
    Quite possible in poorer countries, if the states cannot cope with the increased unemployment.

I acknowledge the likelihood that people in the US will begin to fray in a month, and that in itself will push the political button on getting people back to work.
    But I don't agree on the use of the word "genocide."

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    What fucking universities are you talking about?
    Like mine. They taught to alway optimize, that having things in stock is a bad practice etc.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Quite possible in poorer countries, if the states cannot cope with the increased unemployment.
    Not just the poorer economies. We're going to have years of austerity and slow economic growth thanks to the lockdowns. Like the 2007 crisis but dozens of times worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Is that even possible? Belgium and Netherlands are so intertwined.
    Absolutely. There's a lot of movement between the two countries, but I'm fairly sure things kicked off in Belgium before they did in the Netherlands (with the possible exception of Brabant). For the most part it seems like the cases--and late responses--have lagged behind what has happened in Belgium. Acid can confirm or correct me.

Also, there's little love lost between southern Netherlands and Belgium, so unless there's an official record I'm sure both will blame the other regardless.
    (Take this as an example of the extent of the animosity: Dutch ambulance carrying coronavirus patient forced to pay €6 toll in Belgium)
    Last edited by Benggaul; 2020-04-02 at 08:55 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not just the poorer economies. We're going to have years of austerity and slow economic growth thanks to the lockdowns. Like the 2007 crisis but dozens of times worse.
    Yes, but that will save millions of lives.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

Yes, but that will save millions of lives.
    And ruin hundreds of millions of lives

15+ Year Old Account
    At least they are alive.

Also, having millions of people die is not only inconvenient, but costly as well.

The economy will be totally fucked anyway, with or without lockdowns.

At least they are alive.

Also, having millions of people die is not only inconvenient, but costly as well.

The economy will be totally fucked anyway, with or without lockdowns.
    Say that to people committing suicide because the lockdown is fucking them up mentally

Say that to people committing suicide because the lockdown is fucking them up mentally
    Not to sound callous, but if people are committing suicide because they're being asked to stay home for their (and others) safety, then chances are there were other issues that weren't being addressed that would have led to the same conclusion eventually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah but I doubt people will starve because of it. At leas not in western countries.
    Yes, we all will feel the effects and will have to forego the odd luxuy.

Small price to pay in order to save a decent chunk of our countrymen.... and women... and those that identify as Apache battlehelicopters.

7+ Year Old Account
    Say that to the people who will die because they caught covid and the economy crashes anyway because jobs can’t be filled by dead people.

The US will probably do a lot better than most countries when it comes to getting back on its economic feet.
    Give it a month before getting doom-and-gloom...
    I mean some people thought that the US was headed for worst case scenario with over 3 million dead. That's a number that's not even in the ballpark now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Without lockdowns you would soon be seeing people die everywhere, even right on the streets.

The amount of deaths would lead to lockdowns anyway. Better sooner than later. Deal with it.

If you need help with your mental health, I'm sure there are phone numbers you can call.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Except they do... They block inhalation by stopping large droplets.
    Jesus, you're just getting desperate. Air flow follows the path of least resistance, which means that air, including infectious particles, will tend to be inhaled from around the edges of a surgical mask, rather than directly through the mask, due to a lack of fit and seal. This is simple physics.

There are better fitting surgical masks
    I have no doubt that some fit better than others. But none are designed to seal, so they will still leak, drastically reducing their effectiveness. And how are you going to make sure everyone gets one that fits better? Or that people will even bother to learn how to fit them, let alone bother to actually do so? Whereas now you have that many people who will, per human nature, think it's safe to start ignoring distancing rules "because they're wearing a mask, and a mask is supposed to protect them"?

There are many reasons why masks are only called for if you are or have reason to believe you are symptomatic.

also there are studies on this that say n95 and surgical masks are very close when it comes to protection one was just done last year that looked at 7 other studies across America.
    Neato. Not sure I'm supposed to be convinced by your word. Source?

Except you're wrong because there are several grades of surgical mask which have differing degrees. This 95% rating you are talking about is not what I was talking about. I was explicitly noting concerning 0.5 micron n95 blocked 98%-99.99% while surgical mask ranged from 95%-98% for well fitting. it does not only apply to respirators Which was the study I posted previously
    Seriously, how can I get this through to you. Those percentages apply to air that passes through the material of the mask, it does not take into account the fit and/or seal of the mask. You keep repeating your assertion falsely.

I literally posted about this I linked it, and it even notes n95 ranged from being 60% to 99% effective depending on what the user did.
    ...and surgical masks are a lot less effective than even that.

Which is what I've been saying ad nauseam.

Did I? I read your source. I noted your airborne issue very early, and we have studies comparing n95 to surgical mask finding them about as effective as each other, one just done last year.
    Not to be a nudge, but... source?

Oh yes it is important for that reason, but to pretend they offer absolutely zero tangible benefit against sick people is foolish.
    What a massive fucking strawman you've built here. I've never, not once, said that there was zero benefit. Merely that the benefit was minimal, and would most likely be undone by human nature.

Except it did unless you think word placement doesn't matter.
    Not a single person, outside someone who was looking to specifically pick a fight, would read my statement as incorrectly as you seem to have.

Mmm so what do we know then? That it is spherical usually and can also have filaments and they're simply telling you what they don't know.
    We know that it's not always spherical, that sometimes it's longer and sometimes much, much longer, both of which will be more likely to be filtered by a given rating of material, which was the point of the initial statement.

But again, my ultimate point was that the size of the virion is immaterial, because the real issue isn't the permeability of surgical mask materials.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Is that even possible? Belgium and Netherlands are so intertwined.
    We acted sooner, when we went on full lock down they did not. We ended up having to close borders to stop them coming here for random reasons. Benelux are not that intertwined. I mean i work there and live in Belgium but it's still very much two different countries.

@Benggaul heard the statement from De Croo? He said in a conference call with other EU ministers the Dutch one said, they are on the same curve as Italy.

Without lockdowns you would soon be seeing people die everywhere, even right on the streets.

The amount of deaths would lead to lockdowns anyway. Better sooner than later. Deal with it.

If you need help with your mental health, I'm sure there are phone numbers you can call.
    To add to this, there are online therapy programs available...even ones addressing issues related to COVID-19 and the lockdowns. I would link one but I think it might be against the rules to do so, so if anyone needs someone to talk to shoot me a PM and I'll send you the link.