15+ Year Old Account

$500 grant to California college students to help with COVID-19

My college sent out emails, texts, and auto-dialer calls notifying all students that there is a $500 grant from Mission Asset Fund to California college students. This grant is in addition to any financial aid and/or stimulus check you can/will/do receive. The $500 is direct deposited into your bank account within 72 hours of submitting the application. Just thought I'd pass this along to help everyone out...

Requirements:

1. You must be enrolled full-time in an undergraduate program at a California Community College, California State University, or University of California campus.
    2. You must have completed at least one year of coursework (24 semester units or 36 quarter units).
    3. Be able to provide a transcript (unofficial is fine).
    4. Be able to provide either your Student Aid Report, showing that your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) is below $5,576, or your California College Promise Grant Fee Waiver (BOG Fee Waiver).

https://missionassetfund.org/ca-college-student-grant/
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-08-21 at 03:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have an issue with how businesses and institutions can suddenly afford these grants but that's a discussion for later.
    This money is coming from a non-profit with the purpose of hardship relief so that's good.

$500 in California isn't much is it? And why are part time students left out of the loop, they might need it the most. When I was part time in school it was because I needed to work extra hours to support myself. Full-time meant I at least had some of my expenses covered so I didn't have to work as much.

Good to see someone looking out for the students.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I have an issue with how businesses and institutions can suddenly afford these grants but that's a discussion for later.
    This money is coming from a non-profit with the purpose of hardship relief so that's good.

$500 in California isn't much is it? And why are part time students left out of the loop, they might need it the most. When I was part time in school it was because I needed to work extra hours to support myself. Full-time meant I at least had some of my expenses covered so I didn't have to work as much.

Yeah it's amazing what's possible when people actually give a shit about the world around them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post

It's about the cost of books for one semester assuming a course of study that isn't particularly intense, and those can run upwards of $1500, for books.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    500 dollars is better than nothing, but... that's not gonna cover too much in the way of california colleges.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    It's about the cost of books for one semester assuming a course of study that isn't particularly intense, and those can run upwards of $1500, for books.
    Seeing how this is in addition to any financial aid students receive AND that the semester is more than halfway finished, this wasn't meant to offset the cost of books. Books have already been bought & used. This is meant to help with other needs students are having.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Seeing how this is in addition to any financial aid students receive AND that the semester is more than halfway finished, this wasn't meant to offset the cost of books. Books have already been bought & used. This is meant to help with other needs students are having.
    My comparison was more to demonstrate the costs college students are expected to incur for an education.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they happen to be any students caught ignoring quarantine it should be forfeited.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    My comparison was more to demonstrate the costs college students are expected to incur for an education.
    The people that are eligible for the grant are likely attending school tuition free.

Despite the high cost of living, California graduates have the second lowest student debt in the nation (Utah is the lowest). If you only look at State and non-profit schools, the California graduates have the lowest student debt burden in the nation by far. I linked the source in previous posts so I won’t bother to do so again.

Students from low-income families (making less than 80k per year) can attend one of the state universities/colleges tuition free. The same with almost all of non-profit schools in California. Stanford offer free room & board & tuition & books for students from families making 75k or less, and free tuition for students from families making 150k or less.

In 2017 the University of California (UC) Berkeley started a program called Affordable Course Content which provides the following.

• Course Packs: The Library enabled instructors to create free and electronic course readers in lieu of instructors requiring students to purchase print copies from third-party vendors.
    • eBook Swaps: The Library acquired unlimited user licenses for books that the instructors would otherwise have required students to purchase in print.
    • Open educational resources (OERs): The Library and Center for Teaching and Learning supported instructors in shifting from traditional textbooks to OERs (online and free to read and reuse).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Open educational resources (OERs): The Library and Center for Teaching and Learning supported instructors in shifting from traditional textbooks to OERs (online and free to read and reuse)
    Not going to UC Berkeley but my school utilizes OER for nearly all of our online classes. The website is OpenStax