Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Hi, just a quick question - managed to snatch an 8700k and i was trying to OC it and see how far i can go with it.

Previously i had an 8600k that i managed to push easily to 5GHz at 1.275v with my Strix Z370-F.

As title says, i cannot go past 4.7/1.275v, even setting 4.8 means nearly istant crash with prime95, tried increasing voltage but keeping 4.7 and the same happens. Already upgraded/reset BIOS, and clean windows install.

Any suggestions or it's a botched/bad CPU? It's fine for what i do as it is, but i wanted to know if i'm doing something wrong at this point, because it's strange it goes up easily to Turb clocks, but not over it.
    It's not botched; you're lucky it even goes to 4.7. Anyway, if you want to go past you'll have do de-lid. I did and I've been running at 5ghz stable for 3 years.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    It's not botched; you're lucky it even goes to 4.7. Anyway, if you want to go past you'll have do de-lid. I did and I've been running at 5ghz stable for 3 years.
    What has delid to do with the capability of OC? I could do it for the sweet temps gain, sure.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not temperature limited as proven by him being able to go higher at 1.4 volts. It's just a shit chip. Like unbelievably shit.

What has delid to do with the capability of OC? I could do it for the sweet temps gain, sure.
    Everything. Your temps will go lower, meaning you can go for a higher voltage to push the last few hundred MHz out of your CPU before you reach the same temps that prevent you from getting that OC right now.

Quote Originally Posted by awadh View Post
    Everything. Your temps will go lower, meaning you can go for a higher voltage to push the last few hundred MHz out of your CPU before you reach the same temps that prevent you from getting that OC right now.
    Point is that this CPU isn't stable at 4.8 at 1.35v which is basically baseline. Lowering the temps isn't going to help me, as even base tests fail. Works flawlessly stock, works apparently fine at 4.7, but if i cannot get higher than that i don't see any reason to OC honestly. Goal was 4.9/5.0, and it's just undoable with this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    It's not temperature limited as proven by him being able to go higher at 1.4 volts. It's just a shit chip. Like unbelievably shit.
    Exactly. Temps have been always in check, and never throttled.

I can check my voltage later, but I have 5 GHZ running in theory, but with PSX (dunno how this option was called) I put it on 4,7 GHZ and it seems Windows always running such Software, since it stays at 4.7 GHZ, my Temperature is at 60 Degree up to 70 max. I think.

Using a AIO Watercooler + Headless CPU. (Replaced Paste with liquid Metal)

But yeah going higher then 4,5 or so isn't needed at all, it is just for Cosmetic :P to see a 5.0 in the DXDIag lol.
    Last edited by Sweetdeal; 2020-04-03 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I hadn't seen that he'd reached 1.4vcore already.

Did you experiment with LLC? AVX off0-set? XMP enabled/disabled?

Did you mention which motherboard you're using?
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

I hadn't seen that he'd reached 1.4vcore already.

Did you experiment with LLC? AVX off0-set? XMP enabled/disabled?

Did you mention which motherboard you're using?
    Didn't change LLC, AVX offset was 3, XMP disabled. Motherboard is a Strix Z370. Never had any issue with the i5 before that was running at 5GHz stable.

Another question: since i've seen the pc doing strange things lately with everything basically disabled (fan leds flickering, usb ports not always working) can it be the PSU going bonkers? It's an EVGA G3 650W and i bought it new when i rebuilt the pc like 2 years ago or less. May also be the cable extensions i use?

I want to try to remove the extensions and see if it's the same, but i don't think it's that. Anyone has any idea how to test the PSU to check if something it's not working. If it's to be replaced, i won't have any issue in doing that because i don't want to fry my system with a bad PSU. Probably going with a Seasonic Focus 750W if a replacement is needed.

Didn't change LLC, AVX offset was 3, XMP disabled. Motherboard is a Strix Z370. Never had any issue with the i5 before that was running at 5GHz stable.

Another question: since i've seen the pc doing strange things lately with everything basically disabled (fan leds flickering, usb ports not always working) can it be the PSU going bonkers? It's an EVGA G3 650W and i bought it new when i rebuilt the pc like 2 years ago or less. May also be the cable extensions i use?

I want to try to remove the extensions and see if it's the same, but i don't think it's that. Anyone has any idea how to test the PSU to check if something it's not working. If it's to be replaced, i won't have any issue in doing that because i don't want to fry my system with a bad PSU. Probably going with a Seasonic Focus 750W if a replacement is needed.
    Funny you should mention this, because sent my Strix Z370-G for RMA last week. The Intel USB controller just stopped working, but before that, the Strix had some quirks; sometimes my RAID drives wouldn't be recognized until after a hard reboot, or my other SSD wouldn't show up until again, after a reboot.

I've been using the MSI MPG Z390M for the past week and I have to admit I'm quite conent with it.

Funny you should mention this, because sent my Strix Z370-G for RMA last week. The Intel USB controller just stopped working, but before that, the Strix had some quirks; sometimes my RAID drives wouldn't be recognized until after a hard reboot, or my other SSD wouldn't show up until again, after a reboot.

I've been using the MSI MPG Z390M for the past week and I have to admit I'm quite conent with it.
    I'm having no issues like you, only the small things i put in the post above, so i don't think it's the mobo (but it's still a chance). A guy here at work has the equipment to test PSUs, so i'll just take it out from the pc and bring that here so i can test it and see if there's something wrong with it.

I'm having no issues like you, only the small things i put in the post above, so i don't think it's the mobo (but it's still a chance). A guy here at work has the equipment to test PSUs, so i'll just take it out from the pc and bring that here so i can test it and see if there's something wrong with it.
    Did you try just setting your oc back to stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Pratt View Post
    Did you try just setting your oc back to stock?
    Yeah, stock operations or even 4.7 oc settings are not an issue. They work, i just cannot get past that. But then i started noticing these small things (leds and usbs) so i was wondering if there was something else causeing the issues.

Given the common factor to all of these is voltage, PSU and cable extensions are my first bet before going on mobo etc.

The system is stable, at stock or with the right OC. But still there are signals of something apparently wrong so i just want to exclude that and avoid to fry my system is the PSU is in fact defective for some reason.

Try setting your LLC to 5-6 and see if it makes any difference. I got it set to 6 on my 5ghz OC on a Maximus Hero, which keeps the voltage fairly consistent with what I got it set to in the bios.

Might want to check out this as well and see if the settings he recommends has any impact. If not, you've done pretty much all you can for that poor 8700k.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofey View Post
    Try setting your LLC to 5-6 and see if it makes any difference. I got it set to 6 on my 5ghz OC on a Maximus Hero, which keeps the voltage fairly consistent
    I too have the LLC set on 6 with asus boards. Long and Short duration package limit to max, which should be 4095. CPU limit max. to 255, XMP on and C-states disabled.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes you just lose the lottery. It took me a lot of work to push my 8700k to 4.8ghz and that's by throwing more voltage at it than I am really comfortable with so 4.9 is totally off the table no matter how much I tweak the settings. This was across a MSI Z390 Gaming M5 and a AsRock Phantom Z390 Gaming-itx/ac which is seen as a phenomenal overclocking board.

Out of curiosity I put in my friend's 8700k which can hit 5ghz and it went without a hitch at even lower voltage. I'm pretty salty about it but at the end of the day 200mhz won't make or break my games.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2020-04-08 at 01:39 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    I'm pretty salty about it but at the end of the day 200mhz won't make or break my games.
    In the end, 200mhz won't make or break anything. But I know how you feel; I benchmarked for HOURS to finetune my 5ghz settings while I could've been done in 15 minutes at 4.8ghz...

Stupid hobby, if you ask me ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofey View Post
    Try setting your LLC to 5-6 and see if it makes any difference. I got it set to 6 on my 5ghz OC on a Maximus Hero, which keeps the voltage fairly consistent with what I got it set to in the bios.
    Might want to check out this as well and see if the settings he recommends has any impact. If not, you've done pretty much all you can for that poor 8700k.
    followed that exact video. Same results - 4.7 fully stable, then nothing. Oh well, it's not an issue. It works so i'm fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Those voltages are not safe for 24/7.
    Been running it for 2 years at those volts. I'm not going to stop now either.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Those voltages are not safe for 24/7.
    Those voltages are perfectly fine dude, especially on a delid that doesn't go past 85°c under heavy load → Prime95 really is ridiculous and quite frankly, major over kill when it comes to stability testing.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2020-04-12 at 08:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those voltages are perfectly fine dude, especially on a delid that doesn't go past 85°c under heavy load → Prime95 really is ridiculous and quite frankly, major over kill when it comes to stability testing.
    You can kill it with just the voltage without it overheating. Try putting 2v through your CPU and watch it blow up before it gets hot. pulling 1.4v is generally the safe limit, so he's fine.. Barely