Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Funimation did some nonsense with Dragon Maid I know that got people really mad. They completely changed a scene from one character mocking another to a scene of "yeah fight the patriarchy" basically.

That being said, that's the only real big case I've heard of, and honestly if someone thinks Funimation is gonna have some big sway in Japan, I'd laugh.

Just look at Nintendo, and think of how much influence NoA had (the answer is very little). And there's still other companies out there like Crunchyroll.

All in all, this article comes off as some "SJW!!!" fearmongering while dashing a tiny bit of facts on it to try to have some support.
    I was wondering when someone would mention Dragon Maid, I watch a decent amount of dubs each season and that was the only real example I could think of where the localisation was a mess, at least for reasons due to a political agenda.

If there are other examples of Funi butchering stuff with the dub I'd be interested to see them, otherwise this seems like a huge overeaction.

Generally when studios offer a show for localization they lay down ground rules about how they want their shows represented what can and can't be adjusted for foreign audience, since they take a lot of pride in what they produce(at least some studios...) they tend to be very protective. Cases where people localizing have free reign are pretty rare, see the hilarious ghost stories dub.

Lol imagine watching dubs... Normie casual trash.

One of the few things I feel like most of us anime fans can agree on, is people like Sygmar can fuck right off.

That and dubs are trash.

Good, Funimation is a good company and I have no issues with this whatsoever. They gained a ton of respect over the whole Vic situation getting that creepy ass pedophile away from the community, so I'm sure they'll do fine here.

That being said, I'll still watch all my anime on illegal sites anyway because they're way easier to use and have all the shows in one place, so I guess it doesn't much matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    But what "agenda" would they be trying to push anyways? A companies goal is to make money. The only reason they would change something is because they think it would sell better in a particular market if they did so. I highly doubt Funimation or any other company is going to sabotage themselves in order to push some imagined agenda.

To be honest, I don't even know what this supposed "SJW agenda" even is. To have more characters in media that are female, gay, non-binary, and/or non-white? Oh no! What ever will we do if only 50% of all media has straight, white, males as the lead character instead of 95%? That will ruin the world! Won't anyone think of the children?
    It's extremely odd to complain about anime, where around 95% of the characters w are Japanese, or half Japanese and where there are more lesbians than in the entire Hollywood history

Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    Why do these terms trigger you? Do they by any chance represent you at least partially, so you feel the need to lash out and say it's not true?
    It does feel odd that the person who acts perpetually triggered (despite being right-wing) is calling everyone else triggered.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am sorry, but whenever I see the phrase "SJW agenda" in regards to a TV series, movie, or video game daring to have a non-straight character or a gay character that is treated like a human and not a walking punchline, I just zone out and ignore any opinion uttered by the speaker.

Also, nice bit of whataboutism there. Someone else saying something stupid doesn't make those comments on that site any less ignorant and racist.
    yeah because that's how SJW works..its sooo level headed and realistic, right? totally not forced, nope.

SJW is canceraids and it is pushing agenda 24/7 in media, its why so many shows are fucking trash today.

WHITE MAN BAD, WOMAN/GAY/TRAN/ALIEN/BLACK GOOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    yeah because that's how SJW works..its sooo level headed and realistic, right? totally not forced, nope.

SJW is canceraids and it is pushing agenda 24/7 in media, its why so many shows are fucking trash today.

Darling, do you realize with the upmost confusion that for instance, this agitprop line is true in anime ?

Japanese men (not white) good and actual whites bad is a motto for most anime. As for homosexuality, well, unless you are willingly blind…

A rare example of an American protagonist in anime. (Yes, Brittania is essentially British colonies-the states). Totally not evil and totally heterosexual….
    Last edited by sarahtasher; 2020-04-03 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    Well that’s assuming Eren plan isn’t actually to make himself a villain to absorb all the blame from the rest of the Eldians. we still don’t know what the future Eren’s father saw
    They were also apparently at war with Marley before getting the Titan power so I’m saying marleys subjection was justified, since we saw the Marley were clearly inspired by romans and we all know what the romans had a habit of doing.

On topic I’m not really worried about this merger, I’m sure there will be plenty of gory/creepy manga/anime being produced by other groups regardless of this.
    That's definitely a possible ending, I just kind of hope that's not how it will end. I do think it's possible Eren might have some sort of plan other than what we know of though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    Darling, do you realize with the upmost confusion that for instance, this agitprop line is true in anime ?

Japanese men (not white) good and actual whites bad is a motto for most anime. As for homosexuality, well, unless you are willingly blind...
    I wonder what anime you're watching .. because this is completely untrue from what I've seen in the past 20 years and very rarely do japanese characters in anime actually look japanese, if they EVER have..

I wonder what anime you're watching .. because this is completely untrue from what I've seen in the past 20 years and very rarely do japanese characters in anime actually look japanese, if they EVER have..
    They don't look Japanese for you, but I can GUARANTEE to you that for the creators...THEY...ARE...FRACKING...JAPANESE...

(Not to mention that they are explicitly japanese in most of the shows)

But of course, you are going to tell me that a dude called Satou Kazuma (following the all-american custom of have the family name before the personal name), which lived in Japan, was an hikimori , who love classic americana food like curry and miso-soup is ''white'' because he is paled-colored in the show. I'm a SJW BETACUCK LIBURAL to point that the precious white skin of edgelord does not mean what they think it mean in anime.
    Last edited by sarahtasher; 2020-04-03 at 04:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    It does feel odd that the person who acts perpetually triggered (despite being right-wing) is calling everyone else triggered.
    Triggered is one of those words/phrases that certain groups love to overuse (like SJW agenda, mainstream, cancel culture, ect.) and in a way I am glad they do because it allows me to immediately know I can disregard their opinions since it will just be them repeating some nonsense they read online.

I continue to hear this argument about how the "SJW agenda" (there it is again) is ruining the media but never with any examples as to how. The new Star Wars movies is one I see people mention. Like, the fact that the main character is female somehow ruined the entire franchise and I honestly don't see how it would make any difference if Rey had been male outside of the fact that now maybe some little girls who like sci-fi can also have a hero to emulate just like little boys had for ~40 years in Luke or Han.

Maybe I am just missing that part of the brain or something, but I just cannot fathom why some people get so outraged about heroes and main characters being something other than straight, while males and females being something other than a princess to be rescued or a prize to be won.

I've always preferred the original Japanese track with English subtitles anyway produced out of Japan. The English dubs are absolutely awful even when faithful. I mostly watch Dragon Ball, but damn, I can't stand Christopher Sabat's gurgling drain-o voices, or the idiot that voices Goku, so even as an anime enthusiast, this has no effect on me whatsoever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Triggered is one of those words/phrases that certain groups love to overuse (like SJW agenda, mainstream, cancel culture, ect.) and in a way I am glad they do because it allows me to immediately know I can disregard their opinions since it will just be them repeating some nonsense they read online.

I continue to hear this argument about how the "SJW agenda" (there it is again) is ruining the media but never with any examples as to how. The new Star Wars movies is one I see people mention. Like, the fact that the main character is female somehow ruined the entire franchise and I honestly don't see how it would make any difference if Rey had been male outside of the fact that now maybe some little girls who like sci-fi can also have a hero to emulate just like little boys had for ~40 years in Luke or Han.

Maybe I am just missing that part of the brain or something, but I just cannot fathom why some people get so outraged about heroes and main characters being something other than straight, while males and females being something other than a princess to be rescued or a prize to be won.
    New star was is just terrible, there is not 1 single good character. So if its SJW, they failed horribly. I would just call that terrible casting and story, not necessarily SJW, though it is probably why they chose a female lead considering the times, 1+1 adds up. Those movies would have been trash with a male lead too.

I like how your immediate response is to completely disregard someones opinion for.. having an opinion lol. That's very mature of you, and as a black trans gay cismale who identifies as female I'm incredibly offended by your assumptions.

2020, the year anime became bad all of a sudden

sounds plausible

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplex View Post
    2020, the year anime became bad all of a sudden

sounds plausible
    To be fair anime has been terrible for many years with very few outliers , its no different than your typical TV show releases that are 99% trash with a gem here and there.

New star was is just terrible, there is not 1 single good character. So if its SJW, they failed horribly. I would just call that terrible casting and story, not necessarily SJW, though it is probably why they chose a female lead considering the times, 1+1 adds up. Those movies would have been trash with a male lead too.

I like how your immediate response is to completely disregard someones opinion for.. having an opinion lol. That's very mature of you, and as a black trans gay cismale who identifies as female I'm incredibly offended by your assumptions.
    Of course, the opinion of people crying that WHITE MALES will be removed as protagonists in...fracking anime...is very valuable. Like them crying that they will put lesbian girls into anime.

To be fair anime has been terrible for many years with very few outliers , its no different than your typical TV show releases that are 99% trash with a gem here and there.
    Shit taste confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome. So the new Star Wars movies being terrible had nothing to do with the main character being female. The gender of the main character didn't change the movie in any way then.

And yes, they made the main character of the new Star Wars a female because of the times. Guess what? In the 80's and 90's every single main character was a white male for the exact same reason, because they thought it would appeal to the target audience and therefore would sell better. The only difference is now they realize that more than white males enjoy sci-fi and action movies and by having a more diverse cast, they can appeal to a wider audience. Tell me why that is such a terrible thing and why it is somehow ruining whatever it is supposedly ruining.

10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome. So the new Star Wars movies being terrible had nothing to do with the main character being female. The gender of the main character didn't change the movie in any way then.

And yes, they made the main character of the new Star Wars a female because of the times. Guess what? In the 80's and 90's every single main character was a white male for the exact same reason, because they thought it would appeal to the target audience and therefore would sell better. The only difference is now they realize that more than white males enjoy sci-fi and action movies and by having a more diverse cast, they can appeal to a wider audience. Tell me why that is such a terrible thing and why it is somehow ruining whatever it is supposedly ruining.
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    Of course, the opinion of people crying that WHITE MALES will be removed as protagonists in...fracking anime...is very valuable. Like them crying that they will put lesbian girls into anime.
    When referring to SJW its always to the extreme when its forced and cringe usually references real world 'issues' (media hype) and politics, simply having a non white or gay character doesn't mean SJW. that is not an agenda, realistically and statistically there are very few of these people but for some reason it must be pushed in our face 24/7, that is the issue people have with it.

And I never brought up star wars you did.. and the white male hate is very obvious in media in recent years, its just sensationalism cancer.