Poll: How do you think they should handle Transmog in SL?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Benitora View Post

Edit:
    One thing I just thought about, is that the latest gear you get in Shadowlands, AKA the level 60 stuff, should NOT be transmoggable until that level of tier is over. Say, you have a full set from the first raid, you should not able to transmog out of it or into it until the next tier is released. Would bring back some of the "cool" factor of having difficult to get gear.
    What an utterly horrible idea.

What about those of us getting the latest gear but off-set pieces? We run around looking like fucking clowns because you wanna set customization back by 10 years?

No thank you. If it's been earned, it is mine to utilize. If I want to transmog out of it and use the appearance of gear from 2 expansions ago, that's my choice. I never played this game to feel cool, and I couldn't care less about those that do.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post

What about those of us getting the latest gear but off-set pieces? We run around looking like fucking clowns because you wanna set customization back by 10 years?

No thank you. If it's been earned, it is mine to utilize. If I want to transmog out of it and use the appearance of gear from 2 expansions ago, that's my choice. I never played this game to feel cool, and I couldn't care less about those that do.
    I mean, in a way transmog allows us to feel cool, for example what if someone doesn't feel cool in the current tier armor set?

I never used the actual current raid set as my visual look since I returned to the game and transmog was a thing. There's thousands of item looks in the game. Suddenly being limited to just your current gear sounds like an objectively horrible idea, even from the elitist point of view. I think he just didn't think this idea through too much

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    I mean, in a way transmog allows us to feel cool, for example what if someone doesn't feel cool in the current tier armor set?

I never used the actual current raid set as my visual look since I returned to the game and transmog was a thing. There's thousands of item looks in the game. Suddenly being limited to just your current gear sounds like an objectively horrible idea, even from the elitist point of view. I think he just didn't think this idea through too much
    Well, transmogging my character makes it look good, but I can't say it makes ME feel cool. Guess it can be different for others, which even further cements the importance of transmogging. It lifted the entire game when it came out in Cata.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post

Then I guess it's back to looking like a clown like the good old days?
    I survived through TBC, WOTLK and most of Cataclysm without it, so it's not really that horrible.

Thought it would be a idea for people that actually cared for the cool factor of having the most difficult to get gear there is. Now a days with transmog, you can't at a glance know wherever or not the player in question have done the content, without doing a Achievement search on them or directly inspecting their gear to see wherever or not there are any pieces there from the current content.

You have earned the whites you have, but you can't transmog those either. Either lift the transmog limits completely off, or limit it further for the current content, so that people won't just Yak and remove whatever gear pieces they have gotten with transmog, never really giving it a proper look.

I just think that the current content gear should look appealing enough for people to actually use their looks and have some visual representation of the content they have currently completed.
    Heck, I'd be fine with them adding a craftable for Inscription that allows your current gear to be transmogged, just to give professions more to do. It's a RPG game without any real RPG elements, and that bothers me more than what my character looks like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby
    I'm Commander Crabby, and this is my favorite forum on the website.

Nearly ALL restrictions should be removed, save for those tied to serious technical limitations like not having models on certain races or animations missing or whatever.

Screw level requirements.

Screw artifact being separate and spec-specific.

This is for comestic purposes only. What does it MATTER if my lvl 23 leveling char is walking around in Tier 20 gear.

...snip...snip...snip

I just think that the current content gear should look appealing enough for people to actually use their looks and have some visual representation of the content they have currently completed.
    Only one of my toons is currently wearing un-TM'ed gear.

IMHO most of the best looking gear has been in the game for years.

So I guess I'm in the 'remove all restrictions' camp.

I survived through TBC, WOTLK and most of Cataclysm without it, so it's not really that horrible.

Thought it would be a idea for people that actually cared for the cool factor of having the most difficult to get gear there is. Now a days with transmog, you can't at a glance know wherever or not the player in question have done the content, without doing a Achievement search on them or directly inspecting their gear to see wherever or not there are any pieces there from the current content.

You have earned the whites you have, but you can't transmog those either. Either lift the transmog limits completely off, or limit it further for the current content, so that people won't just Yak and remove whatever gear pieces they have gotten with transmog, never really giving it a proper look.

Heck, I'd be fine with them adding a craftable for Inscription that allows your current gear to be transmogged, just to give professions more to do. It's a RPG game without any real RPG elements, and that bothers me more than what my character looks like.
    What the current gear should look like and what it should convey is a completely separate issue from "should people be forced to have the look on". And the answer to the latter is: no one should be forced to use any visuals. And what you suggested only actually punishes the people who are doing the current tier content.

Also, It's a RPG game without any real RPG elements, and that bothers me more than what my character looks like. is just regurgitated bullshit argument used by influencers that has no real meaning. I would encourage you to think for yourself instead of blindly repeating after the usual suspects from YT and Twitch. Who even decides what an "rpg element" is? Customizing your character sounds like a typical rpg element to me. The fact that some feature wasn't present for multiple expansions doesn't mean that's how it should be. I also played in Wotlk and Cata, and I hated looking the damn same for 1 year straight.

Here's the thing: if you like the looks of the new set, nothing stops you from using it. Trying to force others to do it is just pure toxicity. "I like this, so you have to like it too! The game should force you to like it! No man, you are not entitled to tell people that.

I mean does it really matter? I think most people have their 20-30 max Level Chars now so the only people levelling will be mostly new players and their transmog collection will be very small either way.

I'm really disappointed to hear that the world will still be scaling, I thought that this would be the perfect opportunity to scale all content that preludes the current expansion to a level 50 cap where the difficulty level would be where early expansions are to us now, except across the board. I don't understand why we have to wait 4-6 years for old content to be soloable and, like in the OP, for transmogs and other such cosmetic vanities to become accessible from any point. I am hopeful that since we're not even in Alpha yet that this could still change or even be the case, despite what we have heard.

Would it not make more sense to have a system where level 60 is the permanent level cap and we simply re-level from 50 every expansion (or something similar), putting the old ones into the 'bucket' of past content? I mean, if we don't go this way, then once Shadowlands passes we're going to pick an expansion to level in from 10-50 (barring S/L), then Shadowlands from 50-60, then whatever's next from 60-70? It just seems like it could be a mess, but I guess Alpha's not even out yet.
    Last edited by DechCJC; 2020-04-04 at 10:26 AM.

They should stagger it as this will give us more feeling of reward as we level. Next question?

What the current gear should look like and what it should convey is a completely separate issue from "should people be forced to have the look on". And the answer to the latter is: no one should be forced to use any visuals. And what you suggested only actually punishes the people who are doing the current tier content.

Also, It's a RPG game without any real RPG elements, and that bothers me more than what my character looks like. is just regurgitated bullshit argument used by influencers that has no real meaning. I would encourage you to think for yourself instead of blindly repeating after the usual suspects from YT and Twitch. Who even decides what an "rpg element" is? Customizing your character sounds like a typical rpg element to me. The fact that some feature wasn't present for multiple expansions doesn't mean that's how it should be. I also played in Wotlk and Cata, and I hated looking the damn same for 1 year straight.

Here's the thing: if you like the looks of the new set, nothing stops you from using it. Trying to force others to do it is just pure toxicity. "I like this, so you have to like it too! The game should force you to like it! No man, you are not entitled to tell people that.
    You are making a lot of assumptions here.
    First of all, I don't watch youtube videos regarding WoW. Only "news" I get regarding WoW is from the frontpage of MMO-champion usually.

It's a RPG game without any real RPG elements, in that you don't really control anything about your character outside of the very visual aspect.
    Your stats? Random grind. Professions? Random bullshit that you need to get the worst addition in WoW to create, Expulsom. Gathering professions require no work, no melting, nothing interactive outside of "Pick the damn flower".
    The only grace here for a interactive RPG element, was the illusion of choice they gave the horde to either trust in Saurfang, or stay with Sylvanas...and the Essence system in terms of customization, which is honestly great.

I am not trying to force anyone to do anything at all. I have my opinion of how things should be, and if they never come to fruition, fine. I'm "forced" to play the same game as you in those terms.

I just want a more interactive way in order for the items to be transmogged, to give certain dead professions more to do.
    Inscription could deal with creating more diversity in transmogging, by allowing you to change the current gear, and not only transmog it into something you already have, but maybe even something with a different color, basing itself on the chest piece.
    Jewelcrafting could have a way to actually add jewels on your gear that would be visual.
    Leatherworking, Blacksmithing, Engineering and Tailoring could all have their own distinct visual additions to the gear through crafting, giving them something to sell outside of useless junk.
    Heck, even give Alchemists the ability to give your character flasks of potions hanging on the belt, no matter what type of transmogged belt it is.

I want MORE visual customization to the game. Not less. And with that, by at least bringing more RPG elements into it by you maybe actually having to seek out the people making the stuff, rather than just buying it on AH all the bloody time.

Yeaah, it's pretty ironic for someone to whine about a "lack of RPG elements", only to then propose that they restrict the freedom of making our characters look a certain way...

Not to mention that you sure as hell have control over things like stats (how you build the power of your character) as well as where to pursue said power. RNG = fixture of MMORPGs since they first came out, so very much an "RPG element". I min-max my main and 2 of my alts, because I choose to. I don't min-max the rest of my alts, because I choose to.

I'll just chalk it down to him being confused. We need more customization, not restrictions on what's already there.
    Not to mention, it's pretty damned easy to see whether a character partakes in the highest endgame content by going off healthpool alone.

There is no real good reason why the requirements would be lifted. I think people assume that based on the incorrect assumption brought up multiple times in this thread - (All content except SL is level 10 content) which is easily debunked by 2 minutes of googling. Expansions scaling to your level is a special option you actually have to turn on for your own leveling experience. The zones, and their corresponding raids, will still have their proper level req. So far Blizzard has not given us any reason to believe otherwise.
    So, hypothetical but possible situation: you're a player, new or not, levelling a character either through BfA content or another (I strongly doubt that even as a new player you won't be able to select a different path, even if it's not advertised)
    From a quest you get a shoulder item. It's an upgrade stat-wise, but also looks nice. A few levels later, you get another, better shoulder, but you don't like the look.
    You remember (hearing about) the transmog system, so you attempt to transmog into the previous shoulder, but it says you can't use that appearance until level 50.

There's definitely an inherent level requirement to unlock items from raids etc. but no need to retain that level requirement in subsequent characters. It's maybe even more effort to enforce this, instead of just setting every item from previous expansions to require level 1 or 10 to transmog.
    The current brackets even corroborate this: all items from e.g. WotLK require level 58 to transmog, instead of respective reqs of 70 to 80, even raid items which currently still require level 80 to unlock.
    Last edited by Nathanyel; 2020-04-04 at 02:33 PM.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    So, hypothetical but possible situation: you're a player, new or not, levelling a character either through BfA content or another (I strongly doubt that even as a new player you won't be able to select a different path, even if it's not advertised)
    From a quest you get a shoulder item. It's an upgrade stat-wise, but also looks nice. A few levels later, you get another, better shoulder, but you don't like the look.
    You remember (hearing about) the transmog system, so you attempt to transmog into the previous shoulder, but it says you can't use that appearance until level 50.
    The Blizzcon panel said specifically that new players must do BFA. There have been blue posts saying that the Blizzcon panel way was the plan but was open to change as it is in development.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodmos View Post
    The Blizzcon panel said specifically that new players must do BFA. There have been blue posts saying that the Blizzcon panel way was the plan but was open to change as it is in development.
    I would think that they would remove the limitations on any leveling gear there.
    A lot of gear needs to be removed from the current limitations for it to make any sense, since new players are forced to do BFA content, while veterans can pick whatever expansion they want...meaning that all the expansions would need their leveling gear transmog limitations lifted for it to work, which would honestly be a good start.

I would think that they would remove the limitations on any leveling gear there.
    A lot of gear needs to be removed from the current limitations for it to make any sense, since new players are forced to do BFA content, while veterans can pick whatever expansion they want...meaning that all the expansions would need their leveling gear transmog limitations lifted for it to work, which would honestly be a good start.
    I was only referring to which expansion a new player needed to go through as the post I quoted thought that a new player could choose which to do.

I was only referring to which expansion a new player needed to go through as the post I quoted thought that a new player could choose which to do.
    I am aware, was just more or less thinking about what that would mean for transmogging.
    Currently, it's Vanilla-Cata leveling gear until you reach the threshold for TBC-WOTLK-MoP and from there WoD into Legion and then BFA.
    I would asssume with the change of you being able to pick as a veteran player, they would either remove the limitations of all the leveling gear, while keeping raiding gear at locked at 50, or they will make it locked in terms of what expansion you pick, though I find that unlikely due to them mentioning you being able to pick and choose as a veteran player...or so as far as I remember.

15+ Year Old Account
    To me the easiest and most consistent way is to make all transmog - even endgame - available at the minimum level required to begin the corresponding expansion.
    Example: Just like you can wear Classic endgame transmog at level 1, you should also be able to wear Shadowlands' endgame transmog at the level you are allowed to enter the Shadowlands.
    Last edited by Nurvus; 2020-04-04 at 03:21 PM.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

I am aware, was just more or less thinking about what that would mean for transmogging.
    Currently, it's Vanilla-Cata leveling gear until you reach the threshold for TBC-WOTLK-MoP and from there WoD into Legion and then BFA.
    I would asssume with the change of you being able to pick as a veteran player, they would either remove the limitations of all the leveling gear, while keeping raiding gear at locked at 50, or they will make it locked in terms of what expansion you pick, though I find that unlikely due to them mentioning you being able to pick and choose as a veteran player...or so as far as I remember.
    I'm for removing the restriction entirely (for the old expansions). Currently there can be two pieces that have the same appearance, one level 40 and one level 70. If you get the level 70 one, your characters under the level range for that item can't use the appearance even though a level 40 item for the appearance exists.

They should do the easiest thing and remove current restrictions and only impose the restrictions for the current expansion. Would probably require the least work to sort out.
    Last edited by Jodmos; 2020-04-04 at 03:16 PM.

Well I don't "think it will be so", I just stated that I doubt that it'll be as restrictive as implied at BlizzCon, at least for long. Your first reply even mentioned later blueposts suggesting changes are still on the table.

It would definitely help new players in that veterans can level with them through other content (instead of BfA again and again, which would eventually alienate veterans) or take them through old raids, specifically for Transmog, or mounts.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.