10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Not to derail the discussion going on about the changes, but there's only one ESO thread.

I like efficiency so I want to pick a separate race for each class, and at least 2 of each faction. I want them to be ok stat wise for the class, but also kinda fit well lore wise. Thoughts on this set up:

Warden - Argonian
    Necromancer - Dark Elf
    Dragonknight - Orc
    Sorcerer - Breton
    Templar - High Elf
    Nightblade - Khajiit

The Sorcerer/Templar are the two choices I least confident in.
    If you are just role playing, sure. If you are looking to perform well, this list needs to be more comprehensive. Since there are 4 different roles for each class, you'd need to list that out.

Roles:
    Tank
    Healer
    Mage DPS
    Stam DPS

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    ZoS doesn't want weaving to be impossible. they have embraced it. they like that it exists - they acknowledge that its what keeps ESO combat different from other MMO's and they are NOT doing away with it. I'm pretty sure I saw a login screen tip talking about it. the nerf was to damage component of a light attack. however, they still do some damage, and now that they also return resources - weaving is more worth it that ever. gotta do something while that skill cooldown is happening, might as well feed sustain with it. new changes are making it MORE possible then on live right now, because on live - light attacks do NOT return resources. heavy attacks do. on pts - its been flipped.

and to reiterate. weaving is not spamming light attacks. weaving is adding light attacks in between skill used to double up your actions essentially. light attacks cost no resources. they are free damage. same for heavy attacks. and red headed stepchild - medium attacks that people only make by accident. that stacking resource buff to maximum return? is completely pointless to a skilled weaver. its a dps loss.

but in any case, they reduced the damage from light attacks, while increasing the damage to heavy attacks. and while its creates a possibility for heavy attack ONLY builds, those are not top dps builds or even medium dps builds for people who cannot weave. they are slow action cheese builds. meanwhile, because light attacks are now returning resources? they take sustain completely out of consideration for anyone that weaves well. yes, damage was reduced for top dps. however. skill gap was NOT narrowed. skill only builds are STILL not viable. and if you had a heavy attack build that helped you with sustain - like a lot of support builds? you are going to have MUCH harder time now, cause no more sustain from heavy attacks.

these changes suck for everyone who does anything beyond questing. and for some who are questing as well - mostly newer people who have no cp to help them out.

the one saving grace is that these changes are not final just yet and they are just testing them out. so its possible that we are going to dodge THIS bullet.

and this thread offers some much more reasonable IMO alternatives https://forums.elderscrollsonline.co...one-instead/p1
    If I were them, i'd give Heavy attack it's recovery back. Make it equal to how much recovery you were receive from the same amount of time it takes to LA.

If I heavy attack took as long as 3 light attacks, allow heavy attacks to return the same amount of magicka.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    If you are just role playing, sure. If you are looking to perform well, this list needs to be more comprehensive. Since there are 4 different roles for each class, you'd need to list that out.

Roles:
    Tank
    Healer
    Mage DPS
    Stam DPS

- - - Updated - - -

If I were them, i'd give Heavy attack it's recovery back. Make it equal to how much recovery you were receive from the same amount of time it takes to LA.

If I heavy attack took as long as 3 light attacks, allow heavy attacks to return the same amount of magicka.

more or less what the thread i linked suggests. scale light to heavy attack damage and recovery (so medium attacks are not completely useless, but heavy or light are still better depending on your playstyle)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post

Roles:
    Tank
    Healer
    Mage DPS
    Stam DPS
    Still fairly new to the game, so not sure yet. Goal is to explore all of the trees as I level up for now, but the lore thing is important to me.

Has anyone built any characters where you're able to do all casual activities pretty well? I'm trying to accomplish that on an Orc Dragon Knight. I'm not looking to min/max him, he's just my main crafter and I want him to be able to do casual PVP, quest effectively, and potentially tank a regular daily dungeon.

I was thinking about filling out all of the crafting trees, going Heavy Armor, 2h, Sword and Board, Bow and splitting attributes between Stamina and Health. Maybe 40 health, 20 stamina.

Again not looking to min max, just to be able to do all of the content in game casually. Any recommendations on what skills to prioritize there?

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Still fairly new to the game, so not sure yet. Goal is to explore all of the trees as I level up for now, but the lore thing is important to me.

Has anyone built any characters where you're able to do all casual activities pretty well?
    Magicka Templar is awesome. Can do all the solo content including Delves, World Bosses and even normal dungeons. Pretty good for casual playstyle

ESO is free to play for 2 weeks during the anniversary event where you can get 100% xp. If anyone was considering trying, now is the best time, especially if you want a character for the upcoming Skyrim expansion.

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/freeplay

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Btw is Alcast still the go-to for builds?
    He is and nothing has changed in the last years about that (and the builds, if we're honest).
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

10+ Year Old Account
    I was looking for an alternative to WoW in the months leading up to Shadowlands - I've burned out on raiding in the past couple weeks and grown tired of terrible M+ chest rewards. And so a couple days ago I picked ESO up along with all the pre-Greymoor expansions for a good sale price. I was starting to get into it, finding a good rhythm with the combat (even got in on a Dragon world boss kill), but then I opened the crown store.

And it killed any interest I was developing in the game.

Maybe I'm missing something (certainly possible, I just started playing again) but it seemed like the crown store was full of meaningful game content - one of the playable races (Imperial), questlines and small expansions and such - many of them costing thousands of crowns apiece, in a game that is not only purchased but also has a monthly sub AND paid expansions.

I'm fine with pets/mounts etc in a shop, cosmetics and such. But this went beyond that, IMO.

Again, maybe I'm missing something. Maybe there's some awesome way to earn crowns in game and get all that stuff. But being prompted to buy crowns sure didn't give me that impression. The most expensive crown pack, being like $140 or something, would only buy a fraction of the things in the shop.

Ultimately ended up uninstalling the game. I have a huge library of SP games to finish/start, guess I'll spend my WoW downtime on them instead.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I was looking for an alternative to WoW in the months leading up to Shadowlands - I've burned out on raiding in the past couple weeks and grown tired of terrible M+ chest rewards. And so a couple days ago I picked ESO up along with all the pre-Greymoor expansions for a good sale price. I was starting to get into it, finding a good rhythm with the combat (even got in on a Dragon world boss kill), but then I opened the crown store.

Maybe I'm missing something (certainly possible, I just started playing again) but it seemed like the crown store was full of meaningful game content - one of the playable races (Imperial), questlines and small expansions and such - many of them costing thousands of crowns apiece, in a game that is not only purchased but also has a monthly sub AND paid expansions.

I'm fine with pets/mounts etc in a shop, cosmetics and such. But this went beyond that, IMO.

Again, maybe I'm missing something. Maybe there's some awesome way to earn crowns in game and get all that stuff. But being prompted to buy crowns sure didn't give me that impression. The most expensive crown pack, being like $140 or something, would only buy a fraction of the things in the shop.

Ultimately ended up uninstalling the game. I have a huge library of SP games to finish/start, guess I'll spend my WoW downtime on them instead.
    You get practically everything free with the monthly sub. Plus, with the sub each month you get crowns so eventually you can buy everything and cancel the sub if you don't want the QoL additions the sub gives you (the crafting bag is by far the biggest IMO). The only thing I believe you don't get is the imperials plus the new classes, but I believe you probably got the classes from what you bought already.

Having said all that, if you have any interest in dungeons, I would play without a sub for now. The reason is that with a sub you get every single dungeon in the pool for the random queue and the ones after the base game have increased in difficulty so much so that most of them on normal are more difficult that heroic versions of base-game dungeons. Get used to the game and the combat, build your character up a bit and if you feel that you are rolling then dungeons then go for a sub and have fun.

when buying a game for the first time - you get 500 crowns. subscribing for a month - adds up to just a bit more then what you need to buy imperial upgrade (imperials are honestly just... ok. they are more or less an equivalent of allied races). as long as you stay subscribed - you get acess to every content update sold on crown store, included with your subscription. which continues to come with allotment of 1635 crowns per month. any race any alliance bundle is approximately 1.5 months of subscription - that basicaly does what it says on a tin. no more limitations of which alliance gets which race. various upgrades like skyshards, etc - are 1. time savers 2. cannot be purchased until you unlock corresponding achievement on at least one character 3. IMO not worth it, as getting them through gameplay is easy enough. vampire/werewolf bites are overpriced hassle, as you can usually get someone to bite you in game for free - as long as you show up at appropriate shrine. and if you decide to cleanse yourself - a priest in a temple will do that for nominal amount of gold

last but not least. you know how wow has tokens you can trade for gold, or buy with gold? similar, though inferior (as in less safe) system exists in ESO. i haven't bought crown store fluff with my own crowns in a while, excluding occasional limited house - because i've traded gold for someone else's crowns to do so. the system is inferior because its not as protected as wow token exchange and it works on principle of gifting specific items rather then set amount of crowns, BUT.. there are couple of discords that make it safer to trade, so there's that.

crown store might seem like it sells all these essentials and unfortunately, the way its framed for a new player who doesn't know any better - it would seem that you need to buy these things to get a complete game. but... you do not. at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    when buying a game for the first time - you get 500 crowns. subscribing for a month - adds up to just a bit more then what you need to buy imperial upgrade (imperials are honestly just... ok. they are more or less an equivalent of allied races). as long as you stay subscribed - you get acess to every content update sold on crown store, included with your subscription. which continues to come with allotment of 1635 crowns per month. any race any alliance bundle is approximately 1.5 months of subscription - that basicaly does what it says on a tin. no more limitations of which alliance gets which race. various upgrades like skyshards, etc - are 1. time savers 2. cannot be purchased until you unlock corresponding achievement on at least one character 3. IMO not worth it, as getting them through gameplay is easy enough. vampire/werewolf bites are overpriced hassle, as you can usually get someone to bite you in game for free - as long as you show up at appropriate shrine. and if you decide to cleanse yourself - a priest in a temple will do that for nominal amount of gold

last but not least. you know how wow has tokens you can trade for gold, or buy with gold? similar, though inferior (as in less safe) system exists in ESO. i haven't bought crown store fluff with my own crowns in a while, excluding occasional limited house - because i've traded gold for someone else's crowns to do so. the system is inferior because its not as protected as wow token exchange and it works on principle of gifting specific items rather then set amount of crowns, BUT.. there are couple of discords that make it safer to trade, so there's that.

crown store might seem like it sells all these essentials and unfortunately, the way its framed for a new player who doesn't know any better - it would seem that you need to buy these things to get a complete game. but... you do not. at all.
    Thanks for clarifying!

This is exactly why I said 'I might be missing something' because I thought... are the devs seriously THIS greedy? And this blatant about it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    You get practically everything free with the monthly sub. Plus, with the sub each month you get crowns so eventually you can buy everything and cancel the sub if you don't want the QoL additions the sub gives you (the crafting bag is by far the biggest IMO). The only thing I believe you don't get is the imperials plus the new classes, but I believe you probably got the classes from what you bought already.

Having said all that, if you have any interest in dungeons, I would play without a sub for now. The reason is that with a sub you get every single dungeon in the pool for the random queue and the ones after the base game have increased in difficulty so much so that most of them on normal are more difficult that heroic versions of base-game dungeons. Get used to the game and the combat, build your character up a bit and if you feel that you are rolling then dungeons then go for a sub and have fun.
    Thanks to you as well.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

ESO is currently the best MMO on the market, bar none.

Quote Originally Posted by Velthy View Post
    Magicka Templar is awesome. Can do all the solo content including Delves, World Bosses and even normal dungeons. Pretty good for casual playstyle
    Will try that. Probably gonna go Breton.

Got a link to any guides for MagTemplar build that you think is good?

- - - Updated - - -

ESO definitely doesn't do itself any favors by throwing the crown store in peoples' faces as soon as they log in. I had the same first impression. You browse the crown store and see Dark Brotherhood and Thieves' Guild on there, stuff you feel should be baseline and it kinda turns you off to the game.

After playing the game for months and thinking about it, comparing the monetization to WoW's, I decided I like ESO plus better. So first of all, it's not required. If I decide I can't play much and unsub, I can still hop on randomly if I find free time and have full access to my characters, level alts and have access to the majority of the game.

So that's already better than WoW where you can't even log into a character without the $15 paywall.

Then you look at what you get for the sub: 1650 crowns, which alone would cost $15, and an account wide reagent bank which drastically improves inventory management it's easily worthwhile to get. PLUS access to all of the DLC content while active.

On top of that say you are subbed to the game for a year, you can use those ~20k crowns you've accumulated to buy the DLC packs outright, giving you permanent access to them in the future.

You also have the ability to trade gold with players and buy their crowns, and many crown store items like houses and such have an equivalent gold price in place of crowns.

It's definitely not perfect, and I think I'd argue some things like the reagent bank are so useful and improve the game drastically that it should be offered baseline, but overall I prefer it as an optional sub.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

ESO Werewolf question

Hey! After over 13 years of playing WoW I decided to give Elder Scrolls Online a go, mainly because my brother has started it.

But any way I have a question regarding Werewolf. I got the Werewolfs Bite today. And looking online beforehand I'd seen it gives you a quest to go to a shrine, accept the gift etc, but I had no quest, it just automatically gave me the werewolf perk, when was this changed? And is there any way to do the quest?

And the second thing in regards to ESO is the crown store Crates, I bought 40 of them and got a couple mounts, one being a Radiant Apex mount, my brother bought some, got 4 mounts, one also being a Radiant apex, but looking online I've seen people say they can buy 100s and never see one. Are they actually as rare as people say or is just simply "RNG is RNG"? (curious as I'd like to try for some more in the future)

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GKLeatherCraft View Post
    Hey! After over 13 years of playing WoW I decided to give Elder Scrolls Online a go, mainly because my brother has started it.

But any way I have a question regarding Werewolf. I got the Werewolfs Bite today. And looking online beforehand I'd seen it gives you a quest to go to a shrine, accept the gift etc, but I had no quest, it just automatically gave me the werewolf perk, when was this changed? And is there any way to do the quest?

And the second thing in regards to ESO is the crown store Crates, I bought 40 of them and got a couple mounts, one being a Radiant Apex mount, my brother bought some, got 4 mounts, one also being a Radiant apex, but looking online I've seen people say they can buy 100s and never see one. Are they actually as rare as people say or is just simply "RNG is RNG"? (curious as I'd like to try for some more in the future)

Thanks!
    oh lord I hate this. I hate this so much. i wish crown store wasn't so prominent so that new players don't realize that its optional.

the reason you didn't get a quest is becasue you bought the bite from crownstore. 1. I'm so very sorry but that was a gigantic waste of RL money. because the original and IMO better way of getting a bit is either getting infected by another player or infected by special werewolves that sometimes show up in one of 3 zones where you would get infected by a werewolf (specifically bankorai, reapers march or Rift) and that leads me to 2. you only get the short quest if you get bitten via in game means.

and the thing is more often then not, if you show up at the shrine and ask in general chat, someone will just bite you for free (game level scales, so it doesn't matter what level you are, and there are various travel routes that can take you into every zone in the game https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Transport#Boatswains )

as for crates... you got extremely lucky. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.co...-crate-tracker this is an older thread but its still very relevant in terms of actual chances.

think of it this way.. there are people in WoW who go into Stratholme once and get the Baron's mount to drop on a first try. and then there are people who farm for years and STILL haven't seen it drop once.

when it comes to crown crates, most people are in second category. Crate's one saving grace is that if you get duplicates, they get converted into gems that you can then use to buy items you actualy may want (not counting radiant apex mounts as those are rng only)
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2020-04-14 at 05:45 AM.

While I know i am so far from an expert of Elder Scrolls Online, the like that have read all the sermons of Vivec, I pay a lot attention to the lore also a lot of money for eso gold. I apreciate when imaginary worlds are designed to have an internal consistency. This is one of the annoying aspects of Zelda : in Zelda they think of the gameplay first and then make up something in the scenario later, and it’s only later the lore gets to be rationalized in some very convoluted ways.

In a word, it's a pretty solid game. Great combat similar to a usual TES game. And the world exploration is completely top notch, you'll see familiar locations in previously explored areas, and get to experience cities and areas in provinces previously unexplored! The crafting systems are also great, with them expanding upon what was put in place with Skyrim. And PVP is an absolute blast! With 3 alliances with hundreds of players each fighting at once on the battlefield in Cyrodiil! So i give the game a 4 of 5, because not every area is readily accessable, and the limitation on magic. But it do worth your time and money.
    Last edited by sselucas; 2020-08-24 at 08:49 AM.

Recently started up ESO again, actually on my Xbox One! My PC got toasted(was getting old) and I decided enough is enough with wow/classic for a long time. So I decided to install ESO again. I had played it previously both on my PC and on my Xbox One.

I gotta say, I enjoy it so far. I follow the storylines and have a great time leveling and exploring the world. Im currently lvl 29 and its been good fun so far. Seems fairly active to.

ESO also suits my current playstyle on Xbox One. I do love RPGs and right now ESO seems like a endless RPG with lots and lots of content.

Whats even better is that once I decide to buy a new good PC I can just continue playing there

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Wow I must be very lucky. I buy the big pack of crown crates once per crate season and I always get at least one of the good mounts. Pakrooti must love me.
    apex or radiant apex? either way you ARE lucky it seems.. there is a theory that some accounts have better rng then others. i don't know how true it is, but sometimes I'm very willing to believe it, when things in general drop better for my side account vs my main....

apex or radiant apex? either way you ARE lucky it seems.. there is a theory that some accounts have better rng then others. i don't know how true it is, but sometimes I'm very willing to believe it, when things in general drop better for my side account vs my main....
    RNG is RNG.

Pro tip, it loves chicken blood...

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    RNG is RNG.

Pro tip, it loves chicken blood...
    rng is a cruel little asshole :/ sometimes though, anecdotally... it makes you wonder. and intellectually, I know its likely a coincidence. and yet... and yet... you know? :P

rng is a cruel little asshole :/ sometimes though, anecdotally... it makes you wonder. and intellectually, I know its likely a coincidence. and yet... and yet... you know? :P
    Well, actually after reading and thinking what i wrote it actually may be rigged.

There were instances in games about loot boxes drop chance being tinkered for new/returning players as a way to hook them up for new system.