USB ports stopped working

Hey lads,

I have an asus rog strix z370-g gaming motherboard, which as of 5 minutes ago has defective usb slots. The only 2 usb slots that work are the red ones conrolled by an AS media controller. All other ones don't work any more and I think those are run by an intel controller.

I updated the BIOS but it didn't help. Windows also states it can not start the USB controller.

My guess is the mobo is bust. What do you guys think?
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

It could be Windows' problem.

Run Linux and see if these ports working.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    It could be Windows' problem.

Run Linux and see if these ports working.
    Nah, if it were only a Windows problem, the ports would work in the BIOS. Anyway, I sent it back under guarantee and ordered a new mobo which I can send back within 30 days.

Guys, there's a serious shortage of micro-atx motherboards, it's ridiculous. I ordered the msi z390m gaming for the time being; let's hope this is a good board for overclocking because I could hardly find any reviews about it. It was this one, or the TUF motherboard, which has pretty shitty reviews. In the end it doesn't really matter, since I'm going to send it back anyway.

What a time to have your mobo go bad...

That said, I did try some gaming on my mbp 16" and my my, this notebook is a beast! I tried tombraider on max settings and it ran like butter.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2020-04-02 at 04:48 PM.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

USB ports diying on mainboards is a normal thing. Some of my oldest mainboards with 12+ USB ports are left with 3-4 working ones, 3.0/3.1 ports die the feastest in my experience. The USB standard is sadly not bulletproof and devices can easily kill your ports even if you are carefull with connecting them.

Just make sure you have anough ports on your next mainboard to counter the natural decay.

I started years ago using PCIE USB cards for my power hungry devices, so if they kill something, at least its just a 10 EUR PCIE controller and not that on my mainboard.

I dont even know what people do with those cheapo 1+2 USB port mainboards with many time just 1 hub, I guess they are buying new PC/moinboards every 6 months?
    -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    USB ports diying on mainboards is a normal thing. Some of my oldest mainboards with 12+ USB ports are left with 3-4 working ones, 3.0/3.1 ports die the feastest in my experience. The USB standard is sadly not bulletproof and devices can easily kill your ports even if you are carefull with connecting them.

Just make sure you have anough ports on your next mainboard to counter the natural decay.

I started years ago using PCIE USB cards for my power hungry devices, so if they kill something, at least its just a 10 EUR PCIE controller and not that on my mainboard.

I dont even know what people do with those cheapo 1+2 USB port mainboards with many time just 1 hub, I guess they are buying new PC/moinboards every 6 months?
    I've never killed a USB port on my motherboard.. Or my laptops. Them dying is because likely because you're scraping off the contact pads on the port itself

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Hey lads,

I have an asus rog strix z370-g gaming motherboard, which as of 5 minutes ago has defective usb slots. The only 2 usb slots that work are the red ones conrolled by an AS media controller. All other ones don't work any more and I think those are run by an intel controller.

I updated the BIOS but it didn't help. Windows also states it can not start the USB controller.

My guess is the mobo is bust. What do you guys think?
    Depending on how recent you purchased it you could RMA or contact Asus to have it serviced.

You could always try a fresh install of windows. Sometimes the usb drivers get fucked up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I've never killed a USB port on my motherboard.. Or my laptops. Them dying is because likely because you're scraping off the contact pads on the port itself
    The way op described it, it sounds like a bunch stopped working simultaneously. Could be damage to a trace on the mobo as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Depending on how recent you purchased it you could RMA or contact Asus to have it serviced.

You could always try a fresh install of windows. Sometimes the usb drivers get fucked up.

- - - Updated - - -

The way op described it, it sounds like a bunch stopped working simultaneously. Could be damage to a trace on the mobo as well.
    As I said, they stopped working in the BIOS as well, so it’s not a driver issue. Anyway, the board was only three years old so I sent it back under warranty. Since I didn’t feel like waiting a month for a new board, I just bought an MSI Z390M Gaming. Pretty good so far; it seems to handle my 5ghz oc quite well. It just feels a bit weird to buy a board with relatively little research done but there barely was any choice anyway.

I have had USB mysteriously stop working in the past with absolutely no apparent cause nor reason. Then I discovered that it was because I had started using SD cards in the computer. For some reason, using an SD card tells the computer to stop recognizing some / all USB ports. I removed the SD card and it still did not recognize the USB ports. What DID work was this. My computer came with a plastic wafer that slid into the SD card slot as a proxy for an actual card. I'm guessing it is to protect the port. Once I put THAT back in the SD card slot, all USB ports worked again as normal.

I'm guessing that the SD card slot is not wired correctly (at least in my case). But very very few people actually bother to use the SD card slot. So for the vast majority of people, their USB ports never go bust and that makes this is a tricky bug to even notice, let alone figure out.

Questions:

1. Do you have an SD card slot?
    2. Did it come with that wafer?
    3. Did you remove the wafer?
    4. Did you use the SD card slot at any time?
    5. Did you ever plug in an external SD reader into a USB port?
    6. Did you ever use the external SD card reader?
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2020-04-04 at 10:16 AM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I have had USB mysteriously stop working in the past with absolutely no apparent cause nor reason. Then I discovered that it was because I had started using SD cards in the computer. For some reason, using an SD card tells the computer to stop recognizing some / all USB ports. I removed the SD card and it still did not recognize the USB ports. What DID work was this. My computer came with a plastic wafer that slid into the SD card slot as a proxy for an actual card. I'm guessing it is to protect the port. Once I put THAT back in the SD card slot, all USB ports worked again as normal.

I'm guessing that the SD card slot is not wired correctly (at least in my case). But very very few people actually bother to use the SD card slot. So for the vast majority of people, their USB ports never go bust and that makes this is a tricky bug to even notice, let alone figure out.

Questions:

1. Do you have an SD card slot?
    2. Did it come with that wafer?
    3. Did you remove the wafer?
    4. Did you use the SD card slot at any time?
    5. Did you ever plug in an external SD reader into a USB port?
    6. Did you ever use the external SD card reader?
    I don't have an SD card reader at all. Anyway, the intel USB controller is faulty. Asus will provide me with a new board, or I get store credit of €180 for a new one.

The only thing I'm wondering with this new MSI board is whether I should plug in the CPU_pwr2 connector; it's the first time I see a board with 2 separate CPU power connectors. From what I found online it's only meant for "extreme OCing".
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2020-04-04 at 10:25 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    My USB slots also work pretty randomly. And net adapter port has always been disconnecting randomly. Seems to be a common problem finding a good mobo.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't have an SD card reader at all. Anyway, the intel USB controller is faulty. Asus will provide me with a new board, or I get store credit of €180 for a new one.

The only thing I'm wondering with this new MSI board is whether I should plug in the CPU_pwr2 connector; it's the first time I see a board with 2 separate CPU power connectors. From what I found online it's only meant for "extreme OCing".
    You only need to plug in the second power cord if you do EXTREM overclocking or play with LN2 and i would not trust the MSI gaming board to handle extrem overclocking anyway
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

As I said, they stopped working in the BIOS as well, so it’s not a driver issue. Anyway, the board was only three years old so I sent it back under warranty. Since I didn’t feel like waiting a month for a new board, I just bought an MSI Z390M Gaming. Pretty good so far; it seems to handle my 5ghz oc quite well. It just feels a bit weird to buy a board with relatively little research done but there barely was any choice anyway.
    When it comes to until the z-series boards are meant for overclocking, so you should expect that the vrms are good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    When it comes to until the z-series boards are meant for overclocking, so you should expect that the vrms are good enough.
    You'd think that. But according to quite a bit of reviews I read, Asus dropped the ball there. Especially when it comes to VRMs. Gigabyte and MSI did a better job - again, according to reviews.

That might be because some thing might have been stuck in the port and might be interrupting in between you might try cleaning it by soft cotton ear buds which I do

Quote Originally Posted by K2433 View Post
    That might be because some thing might have been stuck in the port and might be interrupting in between you might try cleaning it by soft cotton ear buds which I do
    We're talking about 6 ports here bud ^^