Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    Poor Boris Johnson in intensive care. Might be the first big name to die from Corona. Hope he makes it through.
    I hope he's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    Poor Boris Johnson in intensive care. Might be the first big name to die from Corona. Hope he makes it through.
    As much as I despise him for his Brexit policy and handling of the pandemic, I hope he will be ok, and get a fresh perspective on life and the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    This reads more as a poorly thought out response to get angry about something something MSM.
    If you paid attention to the media January/Feb. they said it was a mild flu that could lead to ARDS. Most said to go about daily habits and to worry about other things. Some even, held massive parties (see quoted link) in literal defiance of Covid-19. The media hyped the defiance up until shit went south REAL fast in Washington and NY. It's not poorly thought out. Retards who slurp down corporate fed biased bullshit meant to appease them rather than educate and notify them deserve most of this blame. Everything has to be an op-ed or have a slant. Sooooo no, not poorly thought out. Maybe this will clear up the gene pool, or atleast make people think twice about taking what the MSM says at face value

Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    There were numerous cases where people were fine at one point and dead a few hours later.
    This thing is terrible.
    Or maybe the person going to the hospital on a sunday night isn't quite as fine as they pretend to be.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    This is what I don't get. Everyone is quick to blame the U.S. and Trump, but no one is saying anything about WHO and China. Even after most countries declared it a pandemic/health crisis and closed all borders, WHO said it still doesn't classify it as such. If China has that amount of pressure where it forces an organization to protect lives in Europe to not act and gaslight the population it's meant to protect....that's a big fucking problem
    The WHO declared it a pandemic a month ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is what I don't get. Everyone is quick to blame the U.S. and Trump, but no one is saying anything about WHO and China. Even after most countries declared it a pandemic/health crisis and closed all borders, WHO said it still doesn't classify it as such. If China has that amount of pressure where it forces an organization to protect lives in Europe to not act and gaslight the population it's meant to protect....that's a big fucking problem
    You are throwing everyone on one big heap and getting confused in the process or your sources of information are more concerned in victimizing and being apologetic for donald.

China was not left off the hook, neither is the WHO. However both those have taken a back seat as European politicians are pre-occupied with managing the national health and economic crisis.

The US is being blamed in cases where it is taking resources already paid or so the story goes but these stories don't take the front seat either when it comes to daily news. The US is being looked at with disbelieve as everything that has taken place elsewhere so far it is greatly being ignored, it doesn't help that a certain media outlet is showing ignorance and spreading misinformation.
    Finally donald is being blamed because he has acted poorly and continues to do so, he is constantly trying to undermine medical expert advices by putting economic interests beforehand and is promoting a drug that can be lethal as a cure.

Priorities have to be made, blame China and the WHO all you want but right now the person causing for troubles is donald. Unless you wish to claim that China and the WHO is running the US government and press conferences that are originally intended to inform the people about the COVID19 crisis and aren't suppose to be in poor taste election rallies

7+ Year Old Account
    If you paid attention to the media January/Feb. they said it was a mild flu that could lead to ARDS. Most said to go about daily habits and to worry about other things. Some even, held massive parties (see quoted link) in literal defiance of Covid-19. The media hyped the defiance up until shit went south REAL fast in Washington and NY. It's not poorly thought out. Retards who slurp down corporate fed biased bullshit meant to appease them rather than educate and notify them deserve most of this blame. Everything has to be an op-ed or have a slant. Sooooo no, not poorly thought out. Maybe this will clear up the gene pool, or atleast make people think twice about taking what the MSM says at face value
    Where did the media hype up defiance?

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    Late summer is longer than i think a lock down can last and hope to not have an impact worse than we have seen with the virus. late summer being at august or later
    Video gamers... Rejoice!
    Check out my drones guide!

Per ICNARC estimates, BoJo has a 50/50 shot of making it.

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/sta...52077513977857

Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    Per ICNARC estimates, BoJo has a 50/50 shot of making it.

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/sta...52077513977857
    No. Fucking. Way.

I have to say, despite disliking the mop top and his politics, I don't want him to die.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is a shame that every nation has had to go throw the same cycle, some places did warn us as for the actual time line in the US i am unaware as i was more focussed on national matters than those far away.

As for the public response, your government is actually the first line of information in these kind of situation and they were actually the last ones to be on board. The government in the US plays an especially important role because they have the information agencies behind them to back this up and apparently it was know since december 2019, also the US media landscape is politically divided.

I have to also confirm that even here in Belgium where we took it serious a whole lot sooner at the start of March, when a lockdown was announced and all bars, pubs and so forth were to be closed at friday night people held Corona parties, people greatly underestimated it everywhere. So again it is not the media task especially in such a divided landscape as the US to be the first line of information.

Sadly that first line of information that are the press conferences are still not presenting a clear and united message, it is mostly donald trying to shift his own incompetence on everything but himself.

However, i don't understand your anger on this especially when looking at you singling out the "big media". As all media underestimated the severity of the situation, old and new formats, sadly some even do looking at Fox news and some weird "red pillers".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Because the reality is that exponential growth results in greater and greater numbers of infection and, thus, deaths.

If you want to understand the scale of the pandemic, linear graphs are appropriate. Logarithmic scales are more useful for understanding the rate of growth, which your source specified.
    And if you want to compare the rate of growth of multiple countries with different start dates, and the effect of their efforts to slow said rates of growth, then you use a logarithmic graph.

You want to see literal numbers? Use a linear graph. You want to compare two exponential curves? Use a logarithmic graph.

I mean, what the actual fuck. How often have you posted graphs from Financial Times comparing multiple countries? Every single one is a logarithmic graph.

Were you disingenuous then? Or are you disingenuous now? (If I were you, I'd take the latter option, as it's a better overall look for your integrity.)

Again, you're talking about starting points lining up, an issue that a logarithmic Y-axis cannot possibly address.
    Wow. See above re: the Financial Times. Keep digging that hole.

I mean, in an earlier post, you literally claimed the opposite!
    I generally prefer Burn-Murdoch's graphs, which base every nation off a similar starting point in terms of number of deaths, to eliminate any bias for delay in the infection triggering, for that reason.

Here's FT's link to that; https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest
    Yeah, pro-tip, those were logarithmic graphs...

Because I actually understand the math, whereas you can't tell the difference between an X and a Y axis on a cartesian coordinate system.
    Yup, thus begin the ad hominems. That means you're winning, right? /s

Literally not something I ever claimed. You're lying, and trying to move goalposts.
    The primary difference between my graph and yours was that mine was logarithmic instead of linear. You said that using a logarithmic visualization was wrong. What other inference was I supposed to make from that?

Also, I notice that you entirely sidestepped the idea of finding support for your assertion, whatever the heck you wan to claim it is.

That's grossly reductive.

They make rates of growth easier to visualize. Not "data". Stop making up nonsense.
    And you claim I'm the one building strawmen? Please.

I didn't say "data". The use of a definite article was clear; I said "the data," which is entirely in reference to the rate of growth data that is the only thing we've been discussing. I mean, there's zero chance that you can possible infer that I'm talking about all data, given the length of this discussion.

How pathetically disingenuous can you get?

This makes zero sense, in any way whatsoever. Because, again, the logarithmic scale affects the Y-axis on these graphs, and the varying start dates are on the X-axis.

The logarithmic scale does not address the date issue in any way whatsoever.
    *sigh* Why do I feel like I'm talking to a 6-year-old?

Humans have a hard time visualizing variations in exponential growth curves in general. Humans especially have difficulty comparing more than one exponential growth curve when they are not overlaid upon each other at a specific, relative starting point. Logarithmic graphs become essential when comparing multiple exponential curves, because the human eye is much more adept at comparing two offset slopes than it is two offset curves.

Do we really need to keep burying you further?

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Yah these people are clinically retarded. Media says its nothing and to go out and defy it. Then when shit gets real they say it's Trump's fault. Low IQ NPCs who listen to the mainstream media.
    "HERP DERP Y U BLAME TRUMP?"

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    No. Fucking. Way.

I have to say, despite disliking the mop top and his politics, I don't want him to die.
    The media coverage and statements have been funny. If hes in hospital taking up a bed hes in a bad way 'its just precautionary' 'hes still in control'. Spin works with brexit not with a virus.

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    No. Fucking. Way.

I consider myself reasonably informed about this breakout (I've been reading a lot of stuff, probably more than the average person, true of most people taking part in this thread I would think), but I honestly didn't realise the outcomes in ICU were THAT bad. It was a real shock.

That's something which needs to be highlighted more in media coverage: 50% of the people who go into ICU in a non-overloaded system don't walk out again.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Coronavirus News: Woman credits experimental drug hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19 recovery

WASHINGTON HEIGHTS, Manhattan (WABC) -- A woman who was treated with an experimental drug to fight the coronavirus is sharing her recovery story.

"Once my fever was gone, it was gone, that was it," Suzanne Schwing said.

Schwing is smiling again and with good reason. She spent 10 days in a hospital room after she was rushed to Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, where she was diagnosed with COVID-19.

"I was never on a ventilator, fortunately, and at one point, even with the Tylenol, my temperature reached 104, apparently, which I found out when the nurses came in and said we're going to put some cold packs on you," she said. "And suddenly I was covered on my head and neck with cold packs."

Like so many other patients, Schwing struggled with high temperatures and crushing fatigue. She said she was frustrated because her condition didn't improve for several days.

"You know, you get to a point at which, is this going to end?" she said. "How long is this going to go on?"

On day three, Schwing was given hydroxychloroquine, an anti-malarial drug, along with antibiotics. It's a pharmaceutical cocktail approved by the FDA for clinical trials, and this week, a preliminary Chinese study offered promising results.

Schwing is convinced it worked for her.

"I don't know how much of my recovery was due to the cocktail and how much of it was due to the length of the time I was spending recovering, but something certainly shifted," Schwing said. "And I think it would have shifted a lot later had I not received that particular treatment. That's my gut feeling."

Schwing believes that her recovery offers hope to others during this pandemic.

"It's a huge deal," Schwing said. "We're on the front lines, we're still short staffed, we're still short in supplies, the hospitals are stressed but people are recovering and going home -- and I'm one of them."
    Wonderful news now where is the control group.
    oh right over there the tens of thousands who recovered without this drug.

Was it the drug, was it the antibiotics, was it the other treatment???

Should be interesting what the eventual findings are and how they could pivot this into something truly successful but its way too early
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    And that still doesn't discount them trying to warn them. Considering Taiwan's position in the world they need the political capital. Someone needs to call out WHO's role in all this shit.
    Who is under controll by its member states, and the most powerfull ones do not recognize Taiwan.
    Last edited by JohnBrown1917; 2020-04-06 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Wonderful news now where is the control group. oh right over there the tens of thousands who recovered without this drug.
    Was it the drug, was it the antibiotics, was it the other treatment???
    Should be interesting what the eventual findings are and how they could pivot this into something truly successful but its way too early
    ya...too early, but promising...
    I was never fond of the phrase "cautiously optimistic," but it seems to fit.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    And that still doesn't discount them trying to warn them. Considering Taiwan's position in the world they need the political capital. Someone needs to call out WHO's role in all this shit.
    It's a good message, for sure. The WHO's praising of China's handling of the situation, after months of both trying to silence and play down the issue, is unacceptable. China's handling wasn't adequate. Even with the draconian measures they put in place, five million people had left Wuhan prior to the lockdown(Source: Business Insider). What's more, it it seems like Taiwan has been excluded by the WHA since at least 2016, with a health minister attending the meeting saying "There is simply no principled basis why Taiwan should not be here ... the only reason that it is not here now is because the government in Beijing does not like the current government in Taiwan" (Source: CNN). CNN has also reported that both former insiders and external observers have complained about the political influences within the WHO. What makes it even worse, is that in recent interviews in which questions about Taiwan are posed, they end up being shut down (Source: The Guardian).
    Last edited by Magical Mudcrab; 2020-04-06 at 08:30 PM.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    The media coverage and statements have been funny. If hes in hospital taking up a bed hes in a bad way 'its just precautionary' 'hes still in control'. Spin works with brexit not with a virus.
    Yeah... absolutely. Wag The Dog but darker.

You couldn't make this up... it's surreal.