Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I don't need her to beg or grovel, but when one's conviction is omnicidal damnation, I prefer they not stand by it in a proposed redemption arc.
    If they don't stand with it, what was the point to begin with? The more people have to die for such a conviction, the more they should cling to their ideal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    If they don't stand with it, what was the point to begin with? The more people have to die for such a conviction, the more they should cling to their ideal.
    "Redemption" kind of requires that you turn away from a goal that is more or less objectively evil and/or entirely worthy of condemnation. If they cling to their ideal in this context, they can't be redeemed (which is what we're discussing).
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

"Redemption" kind of requires that you turn away from a goal that is more or less objectively evil and/or entirely worthy of condemnation. If they cling to their ideal in this context, they can't be redeemed (which is what we're discussing).
    Not really the goal can remain, the methods are usually the damning thing, prime example Sargeras.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Not really the goal can remain, the methods are usually the damning thing, prime example Sargeras.
    When the goal is omnicidal damnation, there is no good method.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

When the goal is omnicidal damnation, there is no good method.
    Which we don't know yet, all we have to go on right now is " This world is a prison and I will set us all free".

Which we don't know yet, all we have to go on right now is " This world is a prison and I will set us all free".
    So basically what you want is dying like every other boss probably going down with a monologue without Redemption.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth-Piekus View Post
    So basically what you want is dying like every other boss probably going down with a monologue without Redemption.
    Pretty much and no possibility of coming back.

Pretty much and no possibility of coming back.
    I never understood the fuss of trying to defend Sylvannas's actions if people would prefer she dies as a villain and stay as that.

5+ Year Old Account
    "Before you can help them—and make them take your warnings of Sylvanas and the horrible truth of the Maw seriously—you must prove your worthiness as an aspirant and overcome all trials to earn your Kyrian wings by Ascending."

Bit from recent blog post that just further puts Sylvanas in villain territory.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ne...yrian-covenant

- - - Updated - - -

I never understood the fuss of trying to defend Sylvannas's actions if people would prefer she dies as a villain and stay as that.
    Trying to save face now after all the defending before the mounting evidence coming forth that she is in fact now a Villain.

Because such actions are fun to discuss and from a certain kind of view can be justified most of the time, thus making villains interesting, though blizz has a habit of writing terrible flat villains. Especially if they try to pull them in several different directions.
    Last edited by Combatbutler; 2020-04-08 at 05:30 AM.

I mean it should be obvious at this point that Sylvanas will play the same role Garrosh had in WoD. So it's not really surprising that Blizzard are blunt about her being a villain in their blogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    I mean it should be obvious at this point that Sylvanas will play the same role Garrosh had in WoD. So it's not really surprising that Blizzard are blunt about her being a villain in their blogs.
    Calling it now: Rematch Mak'gora with Saurfang in the Shadowlands who is now a hulking Abomination upgraded by the Necrolords. He grabs her in a giant fist made of flesh and bones and she shouts in despair: "I trusted you! You made me what I am!"

And he flattens her with a giant club.

That's some "assassination" I would watch on loop.

I'll show myself out.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    Calling it now: Rematch Mak'gora with Saurfang in the Shadowlands who is now a hulking Abomination upgraded by the Necrolords. He grabs her in a giant fist made of flesh and bones and she shouts in despair: "I trusted you! You made me what I am!"

And he flattens her with a giant club.

That's some "assassination" I would watch on loop.

I'll show myself out.
    If that happened, the QQ of her fanboys would be so precious.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    If that happened, the QQ of her fanboys would be so precious.
    Actually her fanboys will QQ anyway no matter what death she has. They are already doing that now that they know her end is inevitable. Haven't we heard many times now how the last interesting character dies and suddenly every other character is automatically bland or too peaceful?

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    More than character assassination, the more annoying thing about her it's the overabundant obscurity regarding her motives and overall "plan", a plan that is looking more and more overbloated and way beyond the scope of a character like Sylvanas was probably meant to be to begin with. In a different yet vaguely similar way the developers did the same with Jaina before BfA, in fact Sylvanas looks kind of schizophrenic since the developers sometimes try to even make you simpathyze with her and many other times seem to try very hard to depict her as THE villain of the story instead. It's really weird and the already mentioned obscurity over her plan and motives makes it even weirder.

I guess Shadowlands should shed some light over all of that, even though I suspect it would either fail to do that or outright butcher Sylvanas as a character for good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

5+ Year Old Account
    Blizz has a habit of writing terrible flat villains.
    I always thought that Deathwing had been the worst villain ever written by Blizz... until now. At least DW wasn't a screeching, cringeworthy Mary Sue.

- - - Updated - - -

her end is inevitable.
    With Danuser leading the writing team, please allow me to doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    I always thought that Deathwing had been the worst villain ever written by Blizz... until now. At least DW wasn't a screeching, cringeworthy Mary Sue.
    Pre-Cata Deathwing was an actually an interesting villain - Machiavellian, intelligent, and capable of long-term and cunning plans. A far cry from the Deathwing we see in Cata, who while more personally powerful is also another slavering maniac with a monomaniacal focus on destruction.

Actually her fanboys will QQ anyway no matter what death she has. They are already doing that now that they know her end is inevitable. Haven't we heard many times now how the last interesting character dies and suddenly every other character is automatically bland or too peaceful?
    Yeah... funnily enough she was never that interesting in the first place. She has been a stale character since Cataclysm. At least Garrosh evolved throughout the expansions, Sylvanas has literally been Lich King 2.0 since Cata.

5+ Year Old Account
    Pre-Cata Deathwing was an actually an interesting villain - Machiavellian, intelligent, and capable of long-term and cunning plans. A far cry from the Deathwing we see in Cata, who while more personally powerful is also another slavering maniac with a monomaniacal focus on destruction.
    You're right. I meant Cata DW, who btw also got completely thrashed as a villain.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennem View Post
    "Before you can help them—and make them take your warnings of Sylvanas and the horrible truth of the Maw seriously—you must prove your worthiness as an aspirant and overcome all trials to earn your Kyrian wings by Ascending."

Bit from recent blog post that just further puts Sylvanas in villain territory.
    The Danuser-Golden writing team is just so laughably wacko.

Sylvanas loyalists are now supposed to accept her as a straight-out villain...because she talked some random smack in front of Orgrimmar?

This is why I don't pay attention to WOW lore anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    She lost against Arthas for purpose. She wanted to feed Quel'thalas to hungering darkness.