15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    austrian chancellor Kurz seems to get his shit together. germany on the other hand is now plagued by its federalism: ask 16 heads of federal states and you'll get ~20 answers.
    Uhm, unlikely, he refused to work together with opposition leaders despite one of them being a virologist, you know, what people who get their shit together usually do. Also, his government openly suggested a law that would require every Austrian to install a spy-app on their smart-phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Anyone who had this virus, even he is cured, can tell you that everyone will get this virus.
    And everyone will sick at least 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Source says they no longer use pandemic... conclusion is not calling it a pandemic.
    No, the source says that they no longer have an official category called Pandemic, and obviously they then don't allocate funds based on an unofficial category.

Instead the official name is "public health emergency of international concern", and they used that a lot earlier.

When they began calling it a pandemic they stressed that it didn't change anything, but I assume they realized that it could raise awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Funding wise, it's actually the pandemic bonds started in 2017 by the World Bank, that's not in the link, it wasn't meant to be. If you look it up it's a bit more complicated and a lot of the articles for it will be geared towards investors.
    Obviously "Pandemic bond" is a better marketing name, and they were made by the World Bank not WHO.

Whether WHO calls it a pandemic or not is irrelevant for that payout of that bond, instead they have a number of criteria for payout based on number of deaths, countries impact - and what countries are impacted (Italy, Spain, US does not count as developing countries).
    But there might be a payout the day after tomorrow - but only for poor countries; as that is the World Bank's mission.

However, it's obvious that you are arguing in bad faith, so I see no point in continuing this.

"Happy World Health Day!" -- guy who doesn't pay attention to the news

Quote Originally Posted by btlcryct View Post
    Due you have a non-tabloid source for that?

Washington Post and New York Times are fairly trustworthy, New York Post and Washington Times are not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    "Happy World Health Day!" -- guy who doesn't pay attention to the news
    CNN (US): "Today is National Beer Day. Heck, it's National Beer Day every day now"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lockybalboa View Post
    Holy shit.. Numbers just spiked in last hour all right. But we did have a decline yesterday so fingers crossed
    Today is not going to be a good day.

New Jersey just spiked, from +86 yesterday to +229 today. Georgia from +10 yesterday to +100 today. Pretty much sharp increases across the board.

New York and New Jersey alone are +960 combined on the day. US is now at +1356, and it's still not even 10:30am on the west coast.

- - - Updated - - -

Holy fuck, France just posted a +1417 total for today.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    So once this over do you think people will leave hotspots via mass exodus? Will people no longer desire to live in densely populated cities, causing price crashes in the cities and spikes in rural home values?

it's something I've been discussing with friends/family as I suspect cities to lose a large part of the population as they move from apart/cook-cutter no yard neighborhoods to more rural spaces.
    Mass exodus not likely. However, you have already seen a trend of people leaving major metropolitan areas for the suburbs and more rural communities I would expect this trend to continue and increase with more people being able to work from home and such.

Will it be enough to jack up property values, maybe a couple percent IMO.
    I am not pro Flight, I am pro a better more engaging game. I just took the pro flight stance cause I knew Blizzard couldn't deliver. Looks like I was right

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    No one is forcing people to subject themselves to the news barrage. Oo
    Personally, I have very little interest in mainstream news.
    They're like chickens flapping their wings in a helpless panic and contain very little actual data.

I prefer to look at the statistics and formulate my own conclusions.
    There are plenty of interesting articles about the actual virus and developments, but they get buried under so much death-count, it's hard to find some times. Same with other things, hard to see what else is going on when it's just "the end is coming, next week is the Onslaught!" Plus, it's taken over many of the youtube shows as well that used to be more diverse.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Must suck for all the people self isolated in cities. Here living in the countryside I got all the large garden space and fields to stroll about. Just had a BBQ.

10+ Year Old Account
    So there's a guy going through a ton of data and making daily maps for COVID increases in Texas. Its really neat.

https://old.reddit.com/r/texas/comme...sday_07_april/

+800ish cases in a day. oof.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    CNN (US): "Today is National Beer Day. Heck, it's National Beer Day every day now"

- - - Updated - - -

Today is not going to be a good day.

New Jersey just spiked, from +86 yesterday to +229 today. Georgia from +10 yesterday to +100 today. Pretty much sharp increases across the board.

New York and New Jersey alone are +960 combined on the day. US is now at +1356, and it's still not even 10:30am on the west coast.

- - - Updated - - -

Holy fuck, France just posted a +1417 total for today.
    These are cases or deaths?

I saw an article earlier today about coroners unable to verify accurate COVID-19 deaths because test kits aren't available as they are being (understandably) prioritized for those people who are alive. Which obviously makes sense.

But to me that means that accurate reporting is out the door, insofar as new cases, confirmed cases (is those are different categories), and deaths.

Can you shed some light on this?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post

I saw an article earlier today about coroners unable to verify accurate COVID-19 deaths because test kits aren't available as they are being (understandably) prioritized for those people who are alive. Which obviously makes sense.

But to me that means that accurate reporting is out the door, insofar as new cases, confirmed cases (is those are different categories), and deaths.

Those are deaths.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Also, I don't think anyone is testing dead people. So there are a lot of corona deaths that go unnoticed.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Must suck for all the people self isolated in cities. Here living in the countryside I got all the large garden space and fields to stroll about. Just had a BBQ.
    Yes i have compassion for those stuck in an apartment. Imagine being stuck in there with this weather.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Yes i have compassion for those stuck in an apartment. Imagine being stuck in there with this weather.
    I had a choice between being stuck in my apt with my bf, or stuck at my parents place which is huge and has a massive yard and a pool and a koi pond.

I think I chose poorly... being stuck in urban hell is boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Current situation in Portugal:
    99 730 suspected cases
    25 070 under authorities vigilance
    4 442 waiting for lab result
    12 442 confirmed cases
    712 cases in the last 24h (+260)
    1 180 at hospital
    271 in ICU
    345 deaths
    34 deaths in the last 24h

https://covid19.min-saude.pt/ponto-d...l-em-portugal/
    https://covid19.min-saude.pt/wp-cont...20200407_2.pdf

In my town:
    4 confirmed cases
    0 cases in the last 24h
    https://www.reconquista.pt/articles/...os-do-distrito

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Those are deaths.

Also, I don't think anyone is testing dead people. So there are a lot of corona deaths that go unnoticed.
    Damn - those are terrible jumps.

People are testing dead people - that's where the article from CNN above came from. They just can't test enough because test kits go to the living.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if they can't confirm it with a test, the official CDC policy right now is that health authorities should err on the side of CCP Virus being the underlying cause of death, even if its just an assumption, and report it as such; the death record will simply be labeled to indicate it is pending a confirmation test and the National Center for Health Statistics will attempt to follow up and get a confirmation test later via state health agencies.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/c...-19-deaths.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by CDC
    Should “COVID-19” be reported on the death certificate only with a confirmed test?

COVID-19 should be reported on the death certificate for all decedents where the disease caused or is assumed to have caused or contributed to death. Certifiers should include as much detail as possible based on their knowledge of the case, medical records, laboratory testing, etc. If the decedent had other chronic conditions such as COPD or asthma that may have also contributed, these conditions can be reported in Part II.
    Last edited by I Push Buttons; 2020-04-07 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Pretty much everyone (who is following the rules) is hanging out on their balconies, sometimes shouting conversations to other people on other balconies. The latter is realllly annoying, but I guess I can't complain under the circumstances.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I had a choice between being stuck in my apt with my bf, or stuck at my parents place which is huge and has a massive yard and a pool and a koi pond.

I think I chose poorly... being stuck in urban hell is boring.
    Depends on your relationship with your parents really, can be different kind of Hell.

Also depends on your location some countries are going to start slowly opening up at the end of April early May.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Pretty much everyone (who is following the rules) is hanging out on their balconies, sometimes shouting conversations to other people on other balconies. The latter is realllly annoying, but I guess I can't complain under the circumstances.
    Well being more in an urban area i am smelling barbecues i can't attend

I know unfair comparison.

10+ Year Old Account
    Deaths. I'm keeping an eye on case counts, too, especially the ratios of positive/total tests, but that information is so incomplete that it's really difficult to make from them any reliably informed conclusions.

The truth is that there's no perfect stat to keep track of, frankly. The best estimates take it all into account, but that takes an exhausting amount of effort, and still isn't conclusive.

And for sure, many news articles are saying the same thing about death counts. We've heard that from Italy for a while now. France is only now finally starting to count deaths outside hospitals. New York has said the same. And CNN is reporting that coroners around the country are saying the same, as well.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils