Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Here is a thought: maybe if they weren't savage criminals they wouldn't be in there. Why should we treat criminals well? They get treated way to well in the western world. We should extend the death penalty to more crimes, speed up how quickly its executed, and have more forced labor prisons. If people are more afraid of the punishment they won't commit the crime.
    Most people in jail in the US are in for non violent/ -victimless crimes
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

Here is a thought: maybe if they weren't savage criminals they wouldn't be in there. Why should we treat criminals well? They get treated way to well in the western world. We should extend the death penalty to more crimes, speed up how quickly its executed, and have more forced labor prisons. If people are more afraid of the punishment they won't commit the crime.
    First post in and already showing how this kind of shit happens.

No one cares about criminals and they just pretend they are not human and dont even sweat about it.

That shit is gross. America is a third world country.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

7+ Year Old Account
    Instead of killing criminals the goal should be to improve them as fast as possible that way they can start contributing to society.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor
    forced labor
    Doing what? Work is quickly becoming knowledge-based so most criminals don't have anything to offer. The focus should be on educating them up to the point that their labor is valuable.

Also labor always requires consent.

Always seems to be Mississippi lately, really trying their damnedest to be a more backwards state then their neighbor Alabama.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, don't break the law, don't go to prison, prison isn't a nice place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by CommunismWillWin View Post
    The savage crime of owning of a few grams of weed.
    Grams yeah most people in prison are not in prison for simple weed, and yes selling drugs is illegal.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    What do people expect to be done? Those prisoners are doing that shit to themselves.

THEY are destroying the place...

THEY are ransacking their living space...

THEY are attacking each other...

Obviously the prison doesn't just leave the place ransacked, even in the video which is just a compilation edited to generate outrage you can see prison employees cleaning up the mess prisoners make, lo and behold they just ransack the place again.

The only solution I can think of is to throw the pieces of shit destroying the place and attacking other prisoners in solitary confinement... But then there would just be another outrage article along the lines of "Solitary confinement is torture and a human rights abuse! Yet this Mississippi prison is throwing their most unruly and violent prisoners in solitary confinement!! Won't anyone think of the poor defenseless criminally convicted violent prisoners!?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Because the point of a criminal system is to rehabilitate people, not to breed more psychopaths and criminals. If you treat a person like a beast, guess what, they're going to become one.
    I don't know if our system is really setup to rehabilitate anyone, in the grand scheme it seems more likely to create repeat offenders.
    You get out of prison and can't find a job because you're a felon and most people won't hire you, hell some places won't even allow you to rent an accommodation even if you manage to find work.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    What do people expect to be done? Those prisoners are doing that shit to themselves.

THEY are destroying the place...

THEY are ransacking their living space...

THEY are attacking each other...

Obviously the prison doesn't just leave the place ransacked, even in the video which is just a compilation edited to generate outrage you can see prison employees cleaning up the mess prisoners make, lo and behold they just ransack the place again.

The only solution I can think of is to throw the pieces of shit destroying the place and attacking other prisoners in solitary confinement... But then there would just be another outrage article along the lines of "Solitary confinement is torture and a human rights abuse! Yet this Mississippi prison is throwing their most unruly and violent prisoners in solitary confinement!! Won't anyone think of the poor defenseless criminally convicted violent prisoners!?!?"
    stop locking people up for nonsense to reduce over crowding?

set up real social safety nets for the mentally ill to get them treatment instead of locking them up?

promote rehabilitation instead of the current for profit prison system which actually makes money off repeat offenders?

increase guard pay so there not understaffed?

America has the leading prison population in the world if you think the problem is the prisoners and not the system's you just aren't paying attention.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    I don't know if our system is really setup to rehabilitate anyone
    I'm not sure how much that matters right now because if you study fields like behavioral psychology and neuroscience it becomes quite clear that we barely know anything at all about how to fix people and their criminal behaviors. Once irrational ideas become instantiated in the brain they become highly entrenched and it's very hard to reverse them, but I think it has to be the case that there is no mistake that cannot be reversed in time.

Obviously prevention is ideal but that doesn't help us with people who are already adults.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-04-08 at 04:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I'm not sure how much that matters right now because if you study fields like behavioral psychology and neuroscience it becomes quite clear that we barely know anything at all about how to fix people and their criminal behaviors. Once irrational ideas become instantiated in the brain they become highly entrenched and it's very hard to reverse them, but I think it has to be the case that there is no mistake that cannot be reversed in time.

Obviously prevention is ideal but that doesn't help us with people who are already adults.
    And then you look at Norway's recidivism rates and your whole argument falls flat on it's face.
    Not to mention how much USA loves incarceration in the first place...

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Yeah, don't break the law, don't go to prison, prison isn't a nice place to be.

Grams yeah most people in prison are not in prison for simple weed, and yes selling drugs is illegal.
    And then there is you, someome who hasnt read anything, but decided that he needs to post from his "moral superiority" position.
    While I would like to get some facts about "simple weed", "most" still do not mean everyone. So tell me, why does everyone have to live in squalor? Unless you will tell me that this prison only hosts violent criminals?
    Do you want rehabilitation or not?! A simple yes/no would suffice...

Cruor strikes again, frag count: 12; and in 30 posts thats a vicious ratio, hats off to the tro_; er, man.

EDIT: And counting...
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2020-04-08 at 07:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

15+ Year Old Account
    If only stupidity was one of them
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    And then you look at Norway's recidivism rates and your whole argument falls flat on it's face.
    Not to mention how much USA loves incarceration in the first place...
    I'm talking about scientific knowledge. If Norway has some secret method for curing criminals of criminal ideas and violent behaviours they should share it with everyone. It would then get copied and repeated everywhere else. If their rehabilitation method and results can't be repeated elsewhere then it's because of cultural factors that are specific to Norway.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-04-08 at 07:32 AM.

I'm talking about scientific knowledge. If Norway has some secret method for curing criminals of criminal ideas and violent behaviours they should share it with everyone. It would then get copied and repeated everywhere else. If their rehabilitation method can't be repeated elsewhere then it's because of cultural factors that are specific to Norway.
    "cultural factors"?
    Pray tell, which ones determine criminality, scientifically?
    They dont have secret, its just the USA who do not want to learn from others, gotta make those criminals suffer as god intended. Norway is not the only one, Scandinavian countries have good statistics, actually, most of Europe have better ones, IIRC.
    There is no secret, it is called punishment AND rehabilitation, not just punishment. Also, not locking people without real need, once more, your incarcerated people count per capita is atrocious. Is that because you are better at catching bad guys? Of course no.

7+ Year Old Account
    "cultural factors"?
    Pray tell, which ones determine criminality, scientifically?
    They dont have secret, its just the USA who do not want to learn from others, gotta make those criminals suffer as god intended. Norway is not the only one, Scandinavian countries have good statistics, actually, most of Europe have better ones, IIRC.
    There is no secret, it is called punishment AND rehabilitation, not just punishment. Also, not locking people without real need, once more, your incarcerated people count per capita is atrocious. Is that because you are better at catching bad guys? Of course no.
    We're not talking about the same thing. You're talking about population/probability at the national level, I'm talking about the scienctific knowledge of how to cure any criminal. Our two points are apples to oranges.

We're not talking about the same thing. You're talking about population/probability at the national level, I'm talking about the scienctific knowledge of how to cure any criminal. Our two points are apples to oranges.
    There are only apples, but you don't eat them.
    USA does not think about rehabilitation, they care about punishment only. That's why you get so many repeat offenders.
    Of course some will always repeat, but that is not a reason not to do anything about it.

Really, which part you do not understand about rehabilitation and why that works? Educate prisoners? Do not make them live in shit conditions and treat them like humans? Offer opportunities after prison, provide counseling, check them up?
    USA is not special in any way, so why you cant do what Norway does? "Cultural differences"? Or because it costs money and people gobble up "PUNISH THE CRIMINALS" much more easily than spending money to get them back into society? Well, I suppose it is a cultural difference right there... xD

But incarceration rate is directly related to all of this too - overcrowd prisons and see what happens. Wait, you already do, we just saw that in the video.

7+ Year Old Account
    There are only apples, but you don't eat them.
    USA does not think about rehabilitation, they care about punishment only. That's why you get so many repeat offenders.
    Of course some will always repeat, but that is not a reason not to do anything about it.

Really, which part you do not understand about rehabilitation and why that works? Educate prisoners? Do not make them live in shit conditions and treat them like humans? Offer opportunities after prison, provide counseling, check them up?
    USA is not special in any way, so why you cant do what Norway does? "Cultural differences"? Or because it costs money and people gobble up "PUNISH THE CRIMINALS" much more easily than spending money to get them back into society? Well, I suppose it is a cultural difference right there... xD

But incarceration rate is directly related to all of this too - overcrowd prisons and see what happens. Wait, you already do, we just saw that in the video.
    I really don't know what to tell you. You are talking about nation states where as I was talking about getting the scientific knowledge from fields such as psychology, neuroscience, pharmacology and more in order to figure out how to rehabilitate any and all criminals, eventually.

Educate prisoners?
    Yeah that is the most important thing. I say give all prisoners access to all educational resources on the internet and all the free online classes. The hard question is how do we get them to want to take classes and learn more everyday, it's not easy.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-04-08 at 08:30 AM.

This is how the south has tried to re-legalize slavery. Basically make every black guy a super-duper evil criminal, and then lock him away, treat him bad, and make him do work for nothing. Walking to your friends house with a joint in your pocket becomes a major trafficking felony, and now you're the property of Mississippi.

Too many people to respond to for personal replies, so Ill do a general reply.

1) They put themselves in there. Stop breaking laws and you won't be in prison.
    2) They wreck their own prisons. They wreck their own housing projects. It's not the guards trashing the place.
    3) Harsh punishment DOES work. The issue is we don't have harsh enough punishments. It wont stop 100% of people but it will lessen crime. Also, we get rid of the offenders rather than pay to keep them around... so either way it is a good solution.
    4) There is a reason USA has a high prison population per capita than Europe or Asia.... I can't say it or I will be infracted... here is a hint: Demographics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    This is how the south has tried to re-legalize slavery. Basically make every black guy a super-duper evil criminal, and then lock him away, treat him bad, and make him do work for nothing. Walking to your friends house with a joint in your pocket becomes a major trafficking felony, and now you're the property of Mississippi.
    Don't have the joint, don't fight the police and you don't go to prison. Problem solved.
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-04-08 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Minor Trolling

Too many people to respond to for personal replies, so Ill do a general reply.

1) They put themselves in there. Stop breaking laws and you won't be in prison.
    2) They wreck their own prisons. They wreck their own housing projects. It's not the guards trashing the place.
    3) Harsh punishment DOES work. The issue is we don't have harsh enough punishments. It wont stop 100% of people but it will lessen crime. Also, we get rid of the offenders rather than pay to keep them around... so either way it is a good solution.
    4) There is a reason USA has a high prison population per capita than Europe or Asia.... I can't say it or I will be infracted... here is a hint: Demographics.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't have the joint, don't fight the police and you don't go to prison. Problem solved.
    Pfff...that's not going to solve it.