View Poll Results: Is Covid an offensive name for a Bat?

Voters
111. This poll is closed
  • Yes

43 38.74%
  • No

68 61.26%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lubefist View Post
    Rape is never fun topic to joke about, grow up and get on with the times. And saying shit like "you can't say anything anymore without people getting offended" makes you sound like a bitter manflake incel.
    Rape is no laughing matter, unless you're getting raped by a clown.

And calling people a "bitter manflake incel" makes you sound like you spend your time learning new words from the Tunblerina intersection of Sesame street.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    Hahahaha... No
    Hahahaaha, yes.

People would take pride in whispering you "reported" then ignoring you after reporting you.
    Then they would go ahead and tell everyone in trade chat that they reported you.
    It was like the youth police in Germany in WW2.

As a someone who's gone through years of therapy and have bad case of PTSD among other issues due to sexual abuse I can tell you that it's not fucking fine to joke about some things. If person X's need to joke about some issue surpasses his empathy and potential triggering and hurting someone, then he's a complete cunt as a person plain and simple.
    I think dictating what people can joke about is more of a cunt move than joking about sensitive topics. That's the thing, everything is subjective. Even jokes... Which is why you can't put limits on it because the limit is only for you and not for someone else.

What is ok to joke about? We joke about murdering and killing people a lot yet it's not ok to joke about rape? We joke about politics which has caused more greif and pain than rape for example. It goes on and on...

I have a bad past with alcoholic father. I think that alcoholism jokes are OK to joke about same with abusive parents. Because it's not directed to me or my past and simply about the absurdity of the entire situation. I also have other mental problems and I see no problem in joking about them either.

I'm willing to bet there are plenty of people with ptsd and mental issues from sexual abuse that find rape jokes ok.

If you don't like what's being said you can just not hang out with them or switch the channel and not read whatever it is. I refuse to indulge in things I don't enjoy but I don't try to stop it from others to indulge in.

You talk about people not showing that they care about others yet you act very selfish yourself.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by shade3891 View Post
    Just go for Corona, can't get offended by a beer right?
    Can imagine Paladins with that name (in reference to a crown) for years getting a forced name change because of current outbreak... :|

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by khazlol View Post
    Well it's not offensive to me, but it is a current event and people are dying. i imagine some might find it tasteless.

Probably just a case of to soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Not to me, but people are polarizing and some are much more sensitive, so I don't hold it against them. It's the same way some people find stand up comics like Lewis Black or Dave Chappelle offensive, but some people of course love them.
    These are probably the most reasonable answers. I say it's distasteful, I wouldn't report you for it, but I don't see how you could choose a name with some negative connotation and not expect some flack. Not everyone is going to be as chill as you and me, but you never know who you'll encounter online. It's a current pandemic and people are losing loved ones, some may interpret it as hurtful. Some people make the conscious choice of naming their characters/pets a name that carries weight and expect the world to just be cool about it. You assume the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    I named my ape pet "obama" and got a temp suspension in game no joke. I was livid people were offended at a pet name
    Especially to the guy who named his pet ape, "Obama". Like, what? You're livid you got a suspension for a clearly inflammatory racial epithet? But if your location is correct, I guess I can't be surprised you lack the forethought to understand where you're wrong.

maybe you could get a away with more subtle bat names like soup

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson View Post
    Rape is no laughing matter, unless you're getting raped by a clown.

And calling people a "bitter manflake incel" makes you sound like you spend your time learning new words from the Tunblerina intersection of Sesame street.

- - - Updated - - -

Hahahaaha, yes.

People would take pride in whispering you "reported" then ignoring you after reporting you.
    Then they would go ahead and tell everyone in trade chat that they reported you.
    It was like the youth police in Germany in WW2.
    And how is that equal to a ban? Sorry, but my guild had some idiots in vanilla with bad pet names, or some foul racist language, yet none got banned. Maybe kicked from the guild, sure. But not banned.

I'd say a combination of too soon and/or wrong person wrong time. I mean, rape jokes sure won't be appropriate around rape victims. Probably not people who know the victims either. Context matters.

The fact that people are still getting sick/dying to the virus at the moment, thousands if not more doesn't help.

Blizz doesn't unilaterally take action against names, they've stated this before. Its other players who have reported your pets name.

Just name it influenza, SARS, or Ebola.Those kill/killed plenty of people and no one would "bat" an eye at the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    So you thought it would be "funny" to name your pet after a virus that's killing thousands of people, and now you're whining that people reported you for it.
    In the 90's 315.000 people died from Tetanus, yet that spell is also in this game.
    (although that dropped to 40.000 last years)
    To this day, 60.000 people die from Rabies, yet that spell is also in this game.

And yes I find it funny, many others do too.
    Laughing or crying at the virus won't change its outcome. And I rather laugh than cry.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Blizz doesn't unilaterally take action against names, they've stated this before. Its other players who have reported your pets name.
    I've played for days with that pet name without anything happening.
    Receiving funny comments about it. Never I had a comment that some one didn't like it.
    Until I went to Winterspring to grind for the Mature Blue Dragon Sinew that I got reported.
    So I HIGHLY suspect people were just reporting me for a pet name, because I farmed the same mobs as them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by khazlol View Post
    maybe you could get a away with more subtle bat names like soup
    Well people told me alternative names, like you said.
    Soup, Wuhan, Notfood, but personally I find those worse since these are aimed at the Chinese.

Calling that bat Covid felt more neutral to me.

People are currently dying of it or have lost their livelihoods and games are often used as an escape - people don't want to think about it every waking moment. You may have meant well, but that doesn't mean it was a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterwep View Post
    In the 90's 315.000 people died from Tetanus, yet that spell is also in this game.
    To this day, 60.000 people die from Rabies, yet that spell is also in this game.

Laughing or crying at the virus won't change its outcome. And I rather laugh than cry.

- - - Updated - - -

Receiving funny comments about it. Never I had a comment that some one didn't like it.
    Until I went to Winterspring to grind for the Mature Blue Dragon Sinew that I got reported.
    So I HIGHLY suspect people were just reporting me for a pet name, because I farmed the same mobs as them.
    Tragedy + time = comedy.

Was it offensive to you? No.
    Is if offensive to others? Yes.

Playing AV over the AV BG Holiday in Classic you see a lot of offensive names and speech. The only people I reported was someone named "Stabcommies" and his guildmate with another name similar. They immediately started spamming anti-Semitic hate speech and cussing like crazy and spamming it over /ra.

I don't care if you want to be funny or offensive. I say really dark and terrible non-PC stuff all the time, but know your audience. If it's likely what you're saying is going to offend someone you don't know, then probably best not to say it. You still have to deal with the consequences.

10+ Year Old Account
    for blizzard, i bet it is.
    it hurts the feelings of their CCP overlords.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

I really don't see the purpose of bringing up other illnesses to merit your choice in pet name. It's a pandemic that's affecting the world RIGHT NOW. You're more than allowed to name your pet or character whatever you want, but you can't sit here and complain when you choose a name that carries some weight or negative connotations on an issue affecting people now, in a game where you'll come across people from all parts of the world.

You may come across someone who lost a loved one or is directly affected by the pandemic and they see you making light of it. I'm not saying it's correct to ban or suspend a player for it, but you have to assume risk when you try and be "edgy". Not everyone will think it's funny and it just doesn't make sense to expect everyone to just take a chill pill and relax because they can't take a "joke". Some people whispering you that it's funny doesn't make it any more better or your position any more correct either lol. You'll always find someone who agrees with even the oddest position, we have flat-earthers out there lol

All I'm saying is that you're not entirely wrong, but you aren't right either. Choose whatever name you want, but you can't realistically expect that certain names shouldn't be offensive to some.

7+ Year Old Account
    Meh it's a dumb name anyways and are you really shocked that some people would be pissed at it?

It's possible that was the situation, but you were still reported and Blizz isn't going to go back and ask each person who reported why they did so. The name is easily borderline enough that if they received the reports they would just have you change the name. You could appeal, but generally Blizz isn't going to let the name slide seeing as it's a current event. You should respect that it's possible that the handful of people that did report you, know someone who has died or is critical with a Covid infection.

You aren't the only person who is taking advantage of current event for cheeky names, but just because you can get a name pass the word filter doesn't mean it isn't offensive. You can ask my old banned vanilla account about the Gnome abortion technician rogue I roll played for all of a few hours, or my Human hunter I got a 3 day for naming MikeVick.

Wanna be an edgelord? Deal with the consequences instead of trying to shift the responsibility of "dealing with it" to the offended party.

You have the right and freedom to say whatever you want, but you don't have the right to say anything you want and act entitled to do so without any blowback.

Punch up, never down.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Reminds of a friend who had a character named Isis (after the Egyptian goddess).

And then ISIS happened and he was forced to change it
    There was case somewhere in wotlk on EU realms that a guy was complaining he made a gnome unholy dk named "nigromanta" which he claims means "necromancer (female)" in spanish, I can't confirm or deny since I don't speak spanish, but he was forced to rename because too many people thought it was something about the N word.

Also btw one day I remember I wanted to name my corgi battle pets "orange dog" and "black dog" and I found out "black" is a banned word, even though there are battle pets like "black lamb" that have innately black in name but you can't write it in custom names.

So yeah, political correctness before everything.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    As a someone who's gone through years of therapy and have bad case of PTSD among other issues due to sexual abuse I can tell you that it's not fucking fine to joke about some things. If person X's need to joke about some issue surpasses his empathy and potential triggering and hurting someone, then he's a complete cunt as a person plain and simple.
    No one else find it ironic the person is called Lubefist?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    No one else find it ironic the person is called Lubefist?
    class clown desperate for a laugh.