Poll: Yanny or Laurel?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Yanny or Laurel?

I know it's already a bit old, but what do you hear?

For everyone who wasn't confronted with this, here is an explanation of why people clearly hear different sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDiXQl7grPQ

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Laurel

But after viewing the explanation i am wondering if that just means i should get my ears checked.. even though i heard the right word of course

15+ Year Old Account
    Meh, the brainstorm and green needle thing was funnier.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

I'm sitting here with my wife and she hears Yanny, while I clearly hear Laurel. So clear that I thought she's trolling me.
    The explanation actually blows my mind. I would have never expected that sound can be interpreted so differently.

Makes you wonder what else we interpret differently, like colors for example.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    I'm sitting here with my wife and she hears Yanny, while I clearly hear Laurel. So clear that I thought she's trolling me.
    The explanation actually blows my mind. I would have never expected that sound can be interpreted so differently.

I also hear yanny. But we do interpret colors differently and not just the colorblind.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

7+ Year Old Account
    Another reason for that is because all sensory observations are theory-laden, meaning that depending on how different some of your ideas are from your neighbor it will cause you to interpret and perceive the world in a slightly different manner. And as that video link mentions this can change as you age but it's not only because your ears change but also because your ideas change over time. This is also one of the reasons why it's so strange that some people think that our ideas are derived from our senses when it's really the exact opposite, our senses are derived internally from our ideas.

Another example is; what's the first thing you think you see when you look at this image? It won't be the same for everyone.

---

Last edited by PC2; 2020-04-08 at 08:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post

Don't get that argument started ... i wonder how many friendships were lost. Is this white/gold or blue/black? Today I see it as blue/black

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    First thing I saw was the head of a seagull... or albatross.
    I see, I saw a rabbit at first and it took me a minute before I could also perceive the duck. For the colored dress example I've only seen a golden-white dress so far, haven't been able to see the blue-black version.

10+ Year Old Account
    Laurel obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Don't get that argument started ... i wonder how many friendships were lost. Is this white/gold or blue/black? Today I see it as blue/black

C'mon, none of the above, its obviously light blue/gold.

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    For me it's almost always been white and gold though once it had sort of flashed and turned blue and black for a very brief moment.

First thing I saw was the head of a seagull... or albatross.
    It always comes back to the duck:

I hear laurel, the dress is blue with some stripes/parts black and a slightly golden tone.

This shit is old as fuck but it seems the disagreement is timeless

15+ Year Old Account
    Laurel

/10chars
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

7+ Year Old Account
    I just listened to the video again and now I’m hearing Laurel.

Weird.
    Ah so that could mean that the two competing theories in your head about how to interpret the same audio data is very close to a 50:50 split. In reality though there is no never a truly equal split so it could be 49.9999% in favor of one and 50.00001% in favor of the other, which means that it just happens to be close enough for you to hear both depending on your current state of mind. Make sure you are using the exact same audio hardware though, otherwise you're not controlling for all the possible differences.

Also for any two sensory interpretations they will never have the exact same truth content to them, it'll always be the case that one of them is microscopically more or less accurate.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-04-08 at 08:44 PM.

Freakin weird... I know this has been around for a while and is kinda old news, but I've always heard yanny. This time, at first I yeard "yanny" in a higher pitched nasally voice as usual, and midway it turned into a lower pitched "laurel." Upon subsequent playbacks all I can hear is laurel in the low voice.

Edit: Oh shit, now I can mentally make it sound like whichever of the two I want just by pure will. It's so bizarre to hear the same sound with distinctly different pitches. I wonder if I can do the same with dress and make it switch colors. Nope, still black and blue.
    Last edited by Nastard; 2020-04-09 at 07:13 AM.

I kept hearing yaurel until it bleed into laurel.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, i tried again today, its still Laurel.

i hear a badly rerendered audio with constant clicking that is more prone to laurel than yanny now.

It depends on the speakers you use. On my desktop I heard yanny but when I tried it on my phone I heard laurel.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    It depends on the speakers you use. On my desktop I heard yanny but when I tried it on my phone I heard laurel.
    Yes but the fact that two people can hear different results in real-time using the same speaker shows that it's not just a matter of which audio hardware you're using.