Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    yea i can't wait to go farm some transmog and when i pull the whole dungeon it takes 5 minutes for me to aoe 30 times.
    When you farm transmog you probably oneshot everything (or 2-3 hits) so this isn't the case there =)
    MMO-Champion Forum
    noun

1. a place where people who stopped playing World of Warcraft 10 years ago gather to tell those who still enjoy the game, how bad it is right now.

Dear Everyone!

This it NOT necessarily a bad change. I can see this improving the game, BUT it needs to re-define what we call "mobs".
    In Everquest 2 (an MMO that is a few months older than WoW) already had a real nice AOE system in place.

In EQ2, mobs not only had a fixed level and hp numbers, but they had indicators (up and down arrows) near their portrait, similar to silver/golden portraits in WoW.
    Normal mobs didn't have arrows, weaker ones had down pointing arrows, harder enemies had up to 3 up arrows.

AND the mobs could get LINKED to each other, meaning they are part of an ENCOUNTER. For example, in 6-man dungeons you either fought 1 single 3-up mob, 2x2 up, or 3x0 arrow mobs, or anywhere between 5-20 mobs of weaker mobs.

There were A LOT of abilities for all classes, and there were 2 "types" of AoE abilities: one is encounter specific, the other is point-blank.
    A "chain lightning" spell would hit ALL mobs in an encounter, regardless of their positions.
    A "hellfire" spell wouls hit ALL mobs NEAR YOU, regardless of they are part of an encounter, or not.

I can't imagine Blizz has the brain power to implement such a thing, but it made EQ2 a little more interesting, where you had to think about what to pull - and, in endgame, you could just use point-blank AoE to clear the dungeon faster, BUT they didn't limit you, the devs in that game gave you all the tools you need to "feel powerful".

(it's really a shame that EQ2 went to the dumpster because WoW had sooo easy gameplay even 12-13 year olds could clear raids...)

I thought the game already had an aoe-cap since lichking. Aoe did full damage up until 10 targets or so and for more targets than 10 the damage got split.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by froschhure View Post
    i don't care for GCD but capping aoe? it's time to quit wow
    You a DH main?

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dipzz View Post
    Sorry dps, rogues and DH will still be the meta. Their utility and mobility will always trump your range dps. Besides even if they cap AOE at 5-10 targets, they'll still dominate. If it's 5? Rogues will just go assassination and multi target dots and wreck single target. Eye beam and blade dance will decimate 5 still.

Once again Blizzard makes changes based off Top world raiding or MDI.

99% of you don't push past a 10-15 key weekly, your tanks don't pull 20 packs and a boss. So I don't get why you're all "THIS IS NEEDED FUCK ROGUES AND DH" your ret paladin and shamans still won't get invites, you'll still have a 500 M+ score, you'll still stand in stuff and die and the group will fall apart.
    This made me laugh cause every part of it is true lol.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blupparen View Post
    I thought the game already had an aoe-cap since lichking. Aoe did full damage up until 10 targets or so and for more targets than 10 the damage got split.
    Yeah. However (and correct me if I am wrong), DoTs that are applied by aoe attacks aren't reduced in damage. With these changes spells like Bladestorm, Meteor and Blade Dance (with talent) won't be able to bypass the target limit (or rather damage limit) anymore, because they don't hit more than 5-8 targets in the first place.

The AoE cap is going to be to reduce server load.

So they can fix the lag a bit while not having to spend money on hardware.

Ehh, eyebeam is still uncapped according to the changes, I'm fine. Only blade dance has had its limit changed for havoc.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    AoE cap is good news,.

AoE in this game 9 out of 10 times is literally one or two buttons. Strong AoE also promotes weird and unintuitive behaviour of pulling as much as possible to kill in pack, which shiuldnt be a thing unless we are talking about insignificant, pestlike enemies.

GCD affects.everyone the same, it's another dumb reason to whine.

In other words, I don't agree with you.
    true GCD affect everyone but also makes everyones specc feel more clunky then it has to be

in other words, i don't agree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    eh, aoe needs a nerf, would prefer diminishing returns though
    if a fix isn't straightforward then it's not a fix at all

if they want AOE to be weaker, make it weaker but don't do shit behind the scenes, just lower the damage or chance to crit or something

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    1. GCD is really not an issue
    As always. May be it isn't problem for current 440 gear, cuz it has enough haste. But when I tried to level alt...

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Dungo View Post
    There has been some shocking revelations in the datamined changes.

1. GCDs have NOT been changed at all. Even after the endless feedback people have given, Ion has NOT changed the GCD. This is scary. Nobody likes the GCD changes, why must Ion keep them?
    2. AoE now has a limit. This is a first in World of Warcraft history. Why have they done this? To slow content down? Make it easier for a potential console port? I am speechless.

This first build is HORRIFYING. Please, everyone, make sure to give your feedback so we can get this stuff changed.
    AoE has been capped on multiple spells over multiple expansions, are you new here?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    The AoE cap is going to be to reduce server load.

So they can fix the lag a bit while not having to spend money on hardware.
    That's now how server infrastructure works. You can't just toss hardware to solve a problem that lies so deep, that's ignorant thinking.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dungo View Post
    2. AoE now has a limit. This is a first in World of Warcraft history. Why have they done this? To slow content down? Make it easier for a potential console port? I am speechless.
    Well this certainly speaks to your intelligence. How about being a balancing act to give classes that aren't AOE masterclasses a fighting chance in m+ etc. ? To simple?

Blizzard is punishing good players once again for being good at the game. Got to minimize that gap between good players and shitters again.

Good news for M+, bad one for old school dungeon farming.

Looks like more reasons to never renew sub, unfortunately its still running for a few years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chronia View Post
    I don't see anything horrible in this. Sure there are players that don't like the BFA GCD changes. There is also a part of the player base that likes the slower pace. ppl have gives a lot of feedback, but not al lin favor of the old gcd. Blizzard needs to weigh this carefully as a lot players, especially veterans, i've been talking to don't seem to be a fan of the button mash super fast gameplay style at all.

Aoe caps are nothing new and have been in WoW quite often, stating that this is a first is a big lie. Its also needed i feel for better M+ balance.
    The gameplay does not change, you are smashing the same number of buttons, its just less fun.

Quote Originally Posted by MiiiMiii View Post
    hmm this AoE cap is interesting.

If they cap AoE we will have less of the "pulling the whole room AoE M+" kinda meta.

I get that people are mad about farming super old content they don't need the cap on that, but in raids and max level content, I am OK with it.

They have said that one thing they learned from Classic was the pacing and this might be a step towards that.

Really curious to experience this first hand. Hopefully they don't just cave into the cries from people that has not even tested it.

By the way the title of this thread is like a youtube clickbait thumbnail...
    Part of me, that wants to see the world burn, wants them to announce, that they're removing the M+ timer completely except for leaderboards.

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    Good news for M+, bad one for old school dungeon farming.
    Yeah you will have to press aoe button 2-3x more omg so horrible.

This AoE cap change is possibly due to lags and freezes during World PvP. This reduces amount of calculations needed If each player can hit just 5 other players rather than 100 around him.

Quote Originally Posted by lollerlaban View Post
    That's now how server infrastructure works. You can't just toss hardware to solve a problem that lies so deep, that's ignorant thinking.
    Yeah you can. It's a bit of wizardry called "fewer raid instances per physical server". It's literally how all server infrastructure works. More hardware, split the load when possible. It's all about designing things so they can be split. Instances are already designed like that.

It just costs money, and they don't want to.

Out in the world may be a different issue. Limiting to 5 in outdoor content may be the better solution there. Limiting it in raids is obnoxious penny-pinching.