Poll: Night Fae playable

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Night Fae - the Forest people race you've been waiting for?!

You know I felt that half night elven Sons and Daughters of Cenarius were this, but the night fae are the children of the forest proper.

The Night Fae

Now we have the night fae, and the question does beg asking, are these the Forest people race the night elves have been mis-understood as being? they are the afterlife version, but are the normal life version the Sons and Daughters of Cenarius?

Fae becoming a thing in Warcraft is interesting. There were hints that the Children of Cenarius were Fae creatures, although the term was seldom and rarely used. Yet Cenarius is the Lord of the Forest, and the origin of nature wielder practiioners even though (he should be able cast some arcane spells from his mother's side tough we haven't seen him do that yet) and does hunt able to rake and melee quite effectively (making him very multi-class) Yet he is the origin of this. The night elves were an arcane disposed race, however their love and care for life, and opposite spirit to the trolls (the other main sentient group) drew Cenarius to them and he taught them nature magic - something all elves and their off shoots would have a natural disposition to. It is no surprise that it would be the night elf to also develop the mantle of nature magic wielding just as they developed that of arcane wielding.

Perhaps we will one day get to play the Night Fae, or the Children of Cenarius.. I have long been requesting the Dryad/Keeper race or at least it be a form for druids.. However the Night Fae, they would be amazing to be playable

However I love the Night Fae, and like the worgen were the savage race many wanted, the night fae are the forest race many have mis-appropriated the night elves as. Don't get me wrong, I'd still love my night elf and appreciate his forest elf side, since I play druid mainly, but I also greatly appreciate the arcane highborne side of the night elves and the female warrior sentinel and priestess and the Demon hunter Illidari - those 3 aspects are not forest elf at all.

The Night fae seem like the pure forest race, based off the druid class, and they look deliciously magical. Druidsm is the forest loving class, and night elves became as good at it as they are at the arcane especially during hter pre-sundering period, but if you want a forest race, the Night Fae are finally here.

My hope is that they will become playable.

The Non-Savage Arcane/Nature Duality Night Elf - The Night Elves are not Forest Elves

With the Night fae, what becomes of the night elves? Do they lose their place? Ofc not, cos they were never the pure forest race some felt.

Though I sometimes see people feeling the night elves are a savage race or a forest elf race, they can be forgiven because of the strong influence of druidsm in the night elves, but while a significant part of the race, it doesn't dominate them and roughly comes to about 1/3 to 1/2 of their makeup. I gently remind them that it was not the intention or purpose, nor the portrayal of night elves as either a savage race or a forest elf race predominantly. Worgen were the savage race, you don't call a savage race Elf - Elf is not what you use when you want to do savage. Nor are they primarily forest elves never intended that way (nor shown to only be forest based), they have a forest/dark elf duality - the devs have expressed the intention behind the night elves: One such interview is here

https://web.archive.org/web/20010205...667651,00.html

And have shown them to be both, the pre-sundering civilization, the highborne, the Moonguard, the magic wielders, the priesthood of Elune - those are all part of the dark elf aspect of the night elves.. whether the civilization was destroyed yesterday or 10,000 years ago, the night elf remains the arcane affinity, arcane essence magical elf, with a disposition to the arcane and a great love of nature. ANd we have been seen a lot more of the magical side of the priesthood of elune recently, and also far more arcane night elf acitivity in game in Cataclysm expansion and Legion expansion - not to mention 5 books (the War of the Ancients Trilogy, Wolfheart and Illidan) have much information and lore on non-forest elf druidic night elves. Contrary to what some believe, the highbonre part of the night elves is not created solely for the Thalassian elf, and is not to be considered as only there to be part of the Thalassian lore. No, it is fully a part of the night elf and its make up, a substantial half, it is from this half that the devs connect the night elf to the high elf, but that part is ALL night elf too. Both halves together represent all the night elves.

Now the forest elf side of the night elves is represented in the druids which the classical levelling experience dominates. The sentinels and huntresses who see much more action in WC3. However it is incomplete and incorrect to ignore the lore material in the novels and the material that shows up in the game, including the highborn of 1.1, the Darnassian re-instated highborne caste of 5.0, the Farondis, Moonguard and Nightborne of 7.0, and to ignore the Demon hunters no matter how small their numbers are, they are a significant part of the night elves and a core part of their make up.

Last edited by ravenmoon; 2020-04-09 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    You know I felt that half night elven Sons and Daughters of Cenarius were this, but the night fae are the children of the forest proper.

The Non-Savage Arcane/Nature Duality Night Elf - The
    Night Elves are not Forest Elves

Though I sometimes see people feeling the night elves are a savage race or a forest elf race, they can be forgiving because of the strong influence of druidsm in the night elves, but while a significant part of the race, it doesn't dominate them and roughly comes to about 1/3 to 1/2 of their makeup. I gently remind them that it was not the intention or purpose, nor the portrayal of night elves as either a savage race or a forest elf race predominantly. Worgen were the savage race, you don't call a savage race Elf - Elf is not what you use when you want to do savage. Nor are they forest elves, they have a forest/dark elf duality - the devs have expressed the intention behind the night elves: One such interview is here

And have shown them to be both, the pre-sundering civilization, the highborne, the Moonguard, the magic wielders, the priesthood of Elune - those are all part of the dark elf aspect of the night elves.. whether the civilization was destroyed yesterday or 10,000 years ago, the night elf remains the arcane affinity, arcane essence magical elf, with a disposition to the arcane and a great love of nature. ANd we have been seen a lot more of the magical side of the priesthood of elune recently, and also far more arcane night elf acitivity in game in Cataclysm expansion and Legion expansion - not to mention 5 books (the War of the Ancients Trilogy, Wolfheart and Illidan) have much information and lore on non-forest elf druidic night elves.

Now the forest elf side of the night elves is represented in the druids which the classical levelling experience dominates. The sentinels and huntresses who see much more action in WC3. However it is incomplete and incorrect to ignore the lore material in the novels and the material that shows up in the game, including the highborn of 1.1, the Darnassian re-instated highborne caste of 5.0, the Farondis, Moonguard and Nightborne of 7.0, and to ignore the Demon hunters no matter how small their numbers are, they are a significant part of the night elves and a core part of their make up.

The Night Fae
    Now we have the night fae, and the question does beg asking, are these the Forest people race the night elves have been mis-understood as being? they are the afterlife version, but are the normal life version the Sons and Daughters of Cenarius?

Fae becoming a thing in Warcraft is interesting. There were hints that the Children of Cenarius were Fae creatures, although the term was seldom and rarely used. Yet Cenarius is the Lord of the Forest, and the origin of nature wielder practiioners even though (he should be able cast some arcane spells from his mother's side tough we haven't seen him do that yet) and does hunt able to rake and melee quite effectively (making him very multi-class) Yet he is the origin of this. The night elves were an arcane disposed race, however their love and care for life, and opposite spirit to the trolls (the other main sentient group) drew Cenarius to them and he taught them nature magic - something all elves and their off shoots would have a natural disposition to. It is no surprise that it would be the night elf to also develop the mantle of nature magic wielding just as they developed that of arcane wielding.

Perhaps we will one day get to play the Night Fae, or the Children of Cenarius.. I have long been requesting the Dryad/Keeper race or at least it be a form for druids.. However the Night Fae, they would be amazing to be playable

However I love the Night Fae, and like the worgen were the savage race many wanted, the night fae are the forest race many have mis-appropriated the night elves as. Don't get me wrong, I'd still love my night elf and appreciate his forest elf side, since I play druid mainly, but I also greatly appreciate the arcane highborne side of the night elves and the female warrior sentinel and priestess and the Demon hunter Illidari - those 3 aspects are not forest elf at all.

The Night fae seem like the pure forest race, based off the druid class, and they look deliciously magical. Druidsm is the forest loving class, and night elves became as good at it as they are at the arcane especially during hter pre-sundering period, but if you want a forest race, the Night Fae are finally here.

My hope is that they will become playable.

they are fauns! like satires but good! night elves are wood elves

10+ Year Old Account
    Based on empirical evidence, the chances of these becoming a playable race is pretty much zero. And while they can always change their minds, Blizz has already said there wouldn't be new races in Shadowlands - the focus is on customization for the original races that we already have.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2020-04-09 at 02:09 PM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

I mean i dont want any more elfs, luckily they're not elves so I'm in favour of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Based on empirical evidence, the chances of these becoming a playable race is pretty much zero.
    Given how fully fleshed-out and articulated all the Covenant races appeared to be I was thinking they all felt like candidates for playable or Allied-type races.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    Exactly. Wood elf can have something more than druidism and it doesn't make it less of a savage wood elf.

As for night fae, I prefer venthyr and kyrian.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Given how fully fleshed-out and articulated all the Covenant races appeared to be I was thinking they all felt like candidates for playable or Allied-type races.
    It would be nice - few things in WoW are more exciting than new races, IMO.

My initial reply was based on the history that the game has of introducing story-centric, interesting races that never end up playable. Broken, the Tuskarr, the Ramkahen cat-people, Arakkoa, Sethrak, etc etc.

I've wanted Vrykul ever since I saw them in Wrath beta, but I'm guessing that KT humans are probably as close as we're ever going to come to those.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2020-04-09 at 02:25 PM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

But they're denizens of the world of the dead, so how would that work? They would come to the world of the living to join the Horde or Alliance? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd love to play those awesome looking vampire models, or even a Kyrian, (not so much these Night Fae), but that seems like it would be a step down for them to come to a higher plane of existence to mingle with the filthy mortal races of Azeroth and their meaningless wars.

Are they using female dranaei skeletons?

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    But they're denizens of the world of the dead, so how would that work? They would come to the world of the living to join the Horde or Alliance? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd love to play those awesome looking vampire models, or even a Kyrian, (not so much these Night Fae), but that seems like it would be a step down for them to come to a higher plane of existence to mingle with the filthy mortal races of Azeroth and their meaningless wars.
    We're denizens of the world of the living, and we get to spend however long traipsing about in the lands of the dead fixing their shit and ending a cosmic threat. Easy enough to just say "a thing happened" as concerns the playable individuals of these races and they get to do the inverse - leave the lands of the dead and adventure in the living world come the 10.0 expansion.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post

Would you like to play as them?

And night elves are not only wood elves. Kaldorei is not children of the forest. That is fae or cenarians. I did write an entire section on that with evidence too:

The Non-Savage Arcane/Nature Duality Night Elf - The Night Elves are not Forest Elves

Though I sometimes see people feeling the night elves are a savage race or a forest elf race, they can be forgiven because of the strong influence of druidsm in the night elves, but while a significant part of the race, it doesn't dominate them and roughly comes to about 1/3 to 1/2 of their makeup. I gently remind them that it was not the intention or purpose, nor the portrayal of night elves as either a savage race or a forest elf race predominantly. Worgen were the savage race, you don't call a savage race Elf - Elf is not what you use when you want to do savage. Nor are they primarily forest elves never intended that way (nor shown to only be forest based), they have a forest/dark elf duality - the devs have expressed the intention behind the night elves: One such interview is here

And have shown them to be both, the pre-sundering civilization, the highborne, the Moonguard, the magic wielders, the priesthood of Elune - those are all part of the dark elf aspect of the night elves.. whether the civilization was destroyed yesterday or 10,000 years ago, the night elf remains the arcane affinity, arcane essence magical elf, with a disposition to the arcane and a great love of nature. ANd we have been seen a lot more of the magical side of the priesthood of elune recently, and also far more arcane night elf acitivity in game in Cataclysm expansion and Legion expansion - not to mention 5 books (the War of the Ancients Trilogy, Wolfheart and Illidan) have much information and lore on non-forest elf druidic night elves. Contrary to what some believe, the highbonre part of the night elves is not created solely for the Thalassian elf, and is not to be considered as only there to be part of the Thalassian lore. No, it is fully a part of the night elf and its make up, a substantial half, it is from this half that the devs connect the night elf to the high elf, but that part is ALL night elf too. Both halves together represent all the night elves.

I know you badly want night elves to be wood elves exclusively, that's why you never play them, wanting only the elves you play (horde ones - to be magical and civilized, viewing this as better and fine with the opposite ones not being that way) I get it, but the intention of the night elves was never to be a primitive, lesser savage elf race. Quite the opposite, they were intended to have this duality of contrasting themes juxtaposed on each other. And that's exactly how they are. To view night elves only as wood elves, would take ignoring the highborne, the pre-sundering civilization, the race make up, the Moon Priestesses, the Temples of elune, the Demon hunters and Illidari night elves, the Moonguard, The Shen'dralar, the Farondis, The Darnassian Highborne. Ignoring all the lore in Cataclysm, and Legion, ignoring the War of the Ancients and the pre-sundering civilization. Igorning Queen Azshara as a night elf and their most notorious leader.

That's 2/3rds of the race you would be ignoring just to imagine them only as wood elves. There is a reason Kaldorei does not mean Children of the Forest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    Are they using female dranaei skeletons?

I think so

But then all the creatures of that ilk use the same.. saberon, worgen, Mogu, Draenei - it's the same leg appendage skeleton.
    Last edited by ravenmoon; 2020-04-09 at 02:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm of the same mind about it. I'd love to play as pretty much any of them, but it doesn't make much sense on paper.

- - - Updated - - -

We're denizens of the world of the living, and we get to spend however long traipsing about in the lands of the dead fixing their shit and ending a cosmic threat. Easy enough to just say "a thing happened" as concerns the playable individuals of these races and they get to do the inverse - leave the lands of the dead and adventure in the living world come the 10.0 expansion.
    That actually sounds kinda interesting, I like it.

"We fixed your mess, now help us fix ours."

Would you like to play as them?

And night elves are not only wood elves. Kaldorei is not children of the forest. That is fae or cenarians.

- - - Updated - - -

I think so

But then all the creatures of that ilk use the same.. saberon, worgen, Mogu, Draenei - it's the same leg appendage skeleton.
    they look good although i think kyrian looks better

Where's the "I don't want any of this" option?

Um... plausible enough for me to get my Vampires!

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    That actually sounds kinda interesting, I like it.

"We fixed your mess, now help us fix ours."
    Works doubly for me given that it seems that Mueh'zala and the Jailer are the ones who put Sylvanas on the throne so to speak and she ignited the Blood War to begin with. Not necessary the fault of the Covenants, per se; but the threat did arise from their shared homeland.

Indeed, but of all 4 of the Covenants, the Night Fae would be the ones I'd be most interested in playing ! They look awesome and have such a fantasy feel to them. A good one that is.

- - - Updated - - -

Um... plausible enough for me to get my Vampires!
    Oh yes.. I've wanted vampires for a long time. So felt they would be the ideal forsaken sub-race.. much better than Lightforged Forsaken. while I would accept lightforged forsaken as a second Forsaken allied race. .oh yes.. Vampires definitely !!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Where's the "I don't want any of this" option?
    I always forget one. You should have had a none and other option.. darn shame I can't edit poll options
    Last edited by ravenmoon; 2020-04-09 at 02:52 PM.

They look great imo, but I doubt we ever get them as a playable race. Mainly because they are tied to the afterlife and probably have no interest meddling in mortal affairs. Do males and female both use the female Draenei skeleton? It seems so.

Also is the Winter Queen a Faun? I don't see any goat legs (or fur) and her face seems to be more human like as well. She also appears to have wings as well (or a cloak that looks like it, but I'm hoping for actual wings)

Edit: upon further inspection, it seems like she's using the female human skeleton, so she's a completely different race than the rest of the Night Fae?
    Last edited by Moonrage; 2020-04-09 at 03:11 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Based on empirical evidence, the chances of these becoming a playable race is pretty much zero. And while they can always change their minds, Blizz has already said there wouldn't be new races in Shadowlands - the focus is on customization for the original races that we already have.
    1. they use the draenei rig
    2. they did NOT rule out allied races coming in later patches of SL. Just nothing initially because these races have had absolutely no interaction with either faction prior to 9.0 and it wouldn't make sense for them to pick sides right off the bat.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather get Satyr instead of these weirdos

Except the Winter Queen. She's stunning
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.