Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

Anyway, the left most skin is what I think of when I see the new blood elf skins.

Quote Originally Posted by voidox View Post
    um, not sure what you mean?

um, I don't mean this as offense or anything, but I'm legitimately asking: do you have experience as a programmer? cause legacy code can be VERY difficult to deal with, trust me. Issues range from lack of documentation, old/different programming style making it hard to understand, original developers no longer around, old programming language, hard to debug, lack of testing, bugs, old methods/variable names, unknown proper behaviour annnd so on.

so ya, I know these are some of the things the wow devs have had to deal with from my personal experience and knowledge around legacy code and the wow devs themselves talking about it over the years, such as with the base bag and new row of slots.

ya, I made an edit to my last post since I figure this might be what you meant: the original vision for blood elves at TBC was probably "light elves" while the night elves would be the "dark elves".
    99 bugs in the code on the screen 99 bugs in the code,

Take one out figure it out.

1473 bugs in the code on the screen

Quote Originally Posted by bowlink View Post
    99 bugs in the code on the screen 99 bugs in the code,

Take one out figure it out.

1473 bugs in the code on the screen
    pain and frustration... also sadness ;__;

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lubefist View Post
    The amount of sugar coated casual racism in here is fucking disgusting.
    Isn't it also racist that black elves are just like the white elves with a paint job?

um, I don't mean this as offense or anything, but I'm legitimately asking: do you have experience as a programmer? cause legacy code can be VERY difficult to deal with, trust me. Issues range from lack of documentation, old/different programming style making it hard to understand, original developers no longer around, old programming language, hard to debug, lack of testing, bugs, old methods/variable names, unknown proper behaviour annnd so on.

so ya, I know these are some of the things the wow devs have had to deal with from my personal experience and knowledge around legacy code and the wow devs themselves talking about it over the years, such as with the base bag and new row of slots.
    I deal with legacy code on a daily basis in a large online open world game and while all those things are true you are overstating the issue quite a bit tbh. People tend to believe that their job is the hardest thing ever.

More options is always better. Can't see a single bad thing about it, and can't fathom what factors, other than racism, could lead someone to think of one.

B-b-but LORE...Blizzard makes the lore for the sole purpose to be the background for the game. There were no black elves in the lore before? Well, there are now. Problem fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    "Hey guys, can someone explain to me why are different skin tones never seen before being added in Shadowl-"

YOU RACIST PIG SHUT UP
    Because it's an mmorpg and it's played by different people around the world. Giving them more options so that they can make their character closer to what they'd like it to look like may make the most sense of any game update ever.

Sorry but no, there is no rational, non-racism based reason to be against this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    The amount of self-gratifying moralizing chest-thumping is equally as disgusting.

You guys need to get over yourselves. You're not special.
    It's a new made account just for giggles and trolling about the BE darker skin option. No need to worry about such a person.

Quote Originally Posted by Lubefist View Post
    The amount of sugar coated casual racism in here is fucking disgusting.
    This thread made me realize that this website is completely full of racists. And they try and hide it with overused “jokes” and feigned concern for the lore. It’s tiring.
    change can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    This thread made me realize that this website is completely full of racists. And they try and hide it with overused “jokes” and feigned concern for the lore. It’s tiring.
    Maybe listen to the mod warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    You didn't listen when you were defending racism one page ago, though. Maybe you should take your own advice, then.

-------------------------

On-topic. I like the new skin colors! Now my warlock's gonna be even closer to those Blood Elves that were darker looking because of the exposure to fel.
    Hell, I'm even hyped for heterochromia - you could do a lot story-wise with it.

Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    This forum is full of trolls and various dicks in general. I personally started visiting wow's reddit more and more because it's just way more friendly of an atmosphere there and less haters hanging around. A shame, because I am someone who enjoys a good old forum instead of the new reddit style discussions but in the end what matters is the level of discussion itself, and that is usually incredibly low on mmo-c.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyram View Post
    You didn't listen, though. Maybe you should take your own advice, then.
    Yes, my bad for dragging it out by responding. If the mod wants to infract/ban me for that, it's fine. Doesn't mean you shouldn't heed the warning
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyram View Post
    when you were defending racism one page ago

Quote Originally Posted by clownpenisfart View Post
    I deal with legacy code on a daily basis in a large online open world game and while all those things are true you are overstating the issue quite a bit tbh. People tend to believe that their job is the hardest thing ever.
    I see, that's nice to hear as you got lucky with things being bit easier for you xD

but that's anecdotal mate... and just fyi, my job has involved legacy code in the past but currently it does not.

we both know there are development environments that deal with legacy code and find many issues/problems to deal with. Sure you can get lucky and have it easy with some legacy code, but it is also true that one can get unlucky and find it very hard.

The wow devs have given interviews over the years talking about legacy code and issues they've had to deal with when it came to old code in wow. I gave the recent example of the backpack and adding in a new row for it cause they talked about this thing

to the people blanket calling anyone with questions as racist... wat? are there some idiots being racist, sure... but you should just ignore them. But then don't just blanket call everyone a racist cause you're just being equally stupid.

Sorry but no, there is no rational, non-racism based reason to be against this.
    what? is asking for in-lore reasoning or w.e not valid? -_- so are you saying if the night elves got a new skin tone of orange in some new patch, and people asked questions... they would all be racist? what if the draenei suddenly got green skin out of nowhere?

is "because customisation" really your be all answer/justification?

like I said in my previous post, this dark-skinned option can make sense from a lore perspective: dark skinned night elves evolving to dark skinned high elves, some blood elves got tanned/burnt skin colour, reaction to sunwell light over time, colour mutations due to exposure and reaction to melanin or w.e.

now there is no official answer so it's all just community guesswork, but to call everyone who has the question as racist is just a wtf thing to do :/

Blood elves are a fantasy race which always had their distinct look/style, end of story and zero problems with that. We have seen so many types of fantasy elves in different medium: dark elves, wood elves, night elves, demon elves, snow elves, half-elves, etc. Each has their own distinct look/style and it's 100% fine.

also, these are not "black" blood elves as there were never "white" blood elves. As an example, you don't call dark elves as "black" elves cause they are dark elves. In the same way, blood elves are not "white" elves or now "black" elves... jfc some ppl always need to make this a diversity/race issue
    Last edited by voidox; 2020-04-10 at 01:55 PM.

Man this thread reminds me of my time in the US. Literally everything is about race. You dare to question something that wasnt in the lore before? Racist.
    People question how dark elves exist yet they dont care about the black facial features added to humans? still racist.

Just get a grip. It makes sense for humans to have every type of feature. It doesnt make the same sense for blood elves. If they wanna make it cannon whatever but just the same way that people have been pointing out about certain race/class combos making no sense, they can point this out too.

Blizzard has changed the lore many times before and I personally dont mind this change as well but you cant go around calling people racist because they questioned why the faction of elves that have been forever been described as solely pale can now suddenly become black. Its a valid question.

2007: Blood Elves are added to the game. They can have green/pink/blue hair.
    Nobody cares, because they are a fantasy race, they can have hair colors that can't exist in real life and nobody needs an explanation why those hair colors are possible. The colors are not relevant to the race's identity.

2020: Blood Elves will now be able to have dark skin.
    People ask for lore explanations. The skin color is now an important part of Blood Elf identity. People who have a problem with this totally do not associate dark skin with something negative.

The wow devs have given interviews over the years talking about legacy code and issues they've had to deal with when it came to old code in wow. I gave the recent example of the backpack and adding in a new row for it cause they talked about this thing.
    On the other hand, because they talked about it it doesn't necessarily mean it was such a big problem, but maybe rather that they latched onto a relatable anecdote to tell the players. A lot of what programmers do on a game is often boring minutiae or super technical stuff that players can't relate to at all, neither of which make for great stories during an interview.
    Last edited by clownpenisfart; 2020-04-10 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clownpenisfart View Post
    On the other hand, because they talked about it it doesn't necessarily mean it was such a big problem, but maybe rather that they latched onto a relatable anecdote to tell the players. A lot of what programmers do on a game is often boring minutiae or super technical stuff that players can't relate to at all, neither of which make for great stories during an interview.
    for sure, I wouldn't really disagree with you here on the point of what they talked about in interviews.

My point really comes down to how things could have been very difficult for the wow devs. And I support this by pointing out that we've had many interviews over the years on the topic of updating the engine, engine limitations and such... and the issues of old wow code have always come up. And we have had things like development talk/watercooler articles so it's not always been "PR talk"
    Last edited by voidox; 2020-04-10 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Did people like... not play burning crusade or something? Because the blood elves who double dipped fel exposure had varied skin tones including dark.
    CmonBruh 10chars

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khasim92 View Post
    2007: Blood Elves are added to the game. They can have green/pink/blue hair.
    Nobody cares, because they are a fantasy race, they can have hair colors that can't exist in real life and nobody needs an explanation why those hair colors are possible. The colors are not relevant to the race's identity.

2020: Blood Elves will now be able to have dark skin.
    People ask for lore explanations. The skin color is now an important part of Blood Elf identity. People who have a problem with this totally do not associate dark skin with something negative.
    Nice strawman, most aren't associating dark skin with something negative at all. Their complaint would be the same is suddenly Orcs received skin tones we associate to white people, no one is complaining about ethnic diversity of humans that is being added, who are canonically ethnically diverse. But once it comes to Blood Elves who from their very inclusion in the lore have been stated to be light skinned due to their background, it's racist? I've heard similar complaints for why playable Jungle Trolls are now gaining access to colours associated with Sand Trolls and Forest Trolls. Heck, many of the complaints ring reminiscent to those about the inclusion of Void Elves.

It's not so much about brown skin as it is adding specific skin tones where they make sense, not everyone thinks fantasy races need inclusive skins, no one is complaining that Orcs, Trolls and Goblins aren't receiving real life ethnic skin tones, why? Because they don't expect these races to resemble themselves in any way. Some people just include Elves among those they don't expect to resemble them.
    Last edited by Kufell; 2020-04-10 at 01:55 PM.

On the note of darker skin tones. Blood Elves aren't the only race.