Page 1 of 20
... LastLast

New Pricing model for Classic only players

so, ya. i havent played retail or even had an inclination to log into my retail account since mid legion. the game is a shell of the experience i fell in love with years ago and the communities in retail dont exist. it is currently the worst mmorpg on the market imo.

that being said, i resubbed for classic.

which, while very old at this point is a tride and true mmorpg.

Now, im not here to start a flame throwing contest.
    i simply want to know what everyone thinks about having separate sub models for the games.

15$ for both seems reasonable. But, for players like me, it is a complete rip off as i have no use for retail and never use the account. so i pay 15$ a month for a 15 year old game.
    now, i get it. people will pay it. but, dont you think if they dropped it to something more reasonable, like say 5$ a month, it would attract more players who would like to try it but dont want to add yet another 10-20$ entertainment sub into their lives.

i know blizz aint gonna do shite as they are no longer a consumer friendly company, but still curious what the general interest would be.

thanx

Don’t like the price don’t pay for it $15 dollars a month to play a game we’ve been asking to bring back for over a decade at this point is a small price to pay for them to develop and maintain these servers.

Christ the job of dealing with the babies who whine about the classic game itself is more than enough

I have no issue with the shared sub between both versions.

I imagine if they separated them, it'd also be $15. They likely fused them knowing the playerbase is rather split (example, I'm one of the only people I know who actively play both versions. Everyone in my Classic guild is classic only, and same for my retail guild). So they're not really losing anything.

Besides, it was $15 in 2004. #NoChanges.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

You aren't paying 15$ for both games. You are paying 15$ for the main game, and access to WoW Classic is included within that sub.

If Blizz weren't consumer friendly, they would require a separate 15$ sub for both, and probably also ask you to buy classic separately. They are basically giving access to Classic for free at the moment. It doesn't get more customer friendly than that.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not about being unfriendly. They've charged the same, non-inflation adjusted price for providing online servers and access to their intellectual property. It's actually amazing that they included both versions of the game in one sub. It would have been easy to double dip and hit the players that actively play both games. However, the reason they don't have separate costs or even a cheaper access for Classic is more than just a standard for standard's sake.

They don't want to fracture their player base by providing different levels of gatekeeping for different versions of the game. They want players to easily be able to play with their friends, enjoy content, and do whatever they want without any additional barriers or differentiation. And while this sounds all nice and player friendly (because it is!), that's not why they do it. It's completely a business strategy to keep the playerbase together to increase retention rate and overall revenue from the game.

They can both do the evil corporate goal and benefit the players sometimes. I think their current game is total shit and I hate that I'm a mythic raider so I still play it, but I cannot fault the service they provide for the same cost I've payed for almost 2 decades.
    BAD WOLF

Classic is Retail
    Same Sub
    Same Bnet client
    classic based off of legion architecture

Also you're paying for it, so retail

its not free like a private server

10+ Year Old Account
    #NO CHANGES $15 a month since 2004

For obvious reasons they're not going to go without a model that pays for both games for potential player overlap.

Now saying that, I cannot stand Classic players here on MMOchamp. You're going to help pay for my Retail and enjoy doing so!
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    They are basically giving access to Classic for free at the moment.
    If you exclusively play Classic, you are basically paying a monthly sub for them keeping the lights on, despite the running costs of Classic being next to 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Usagi Senshi View Post
    Now saying that, I cannot stand Classic players here on MMOchamp.
    I'd recommend then not wandering off into the Classic forum, but that's seemingly difficult for some people.

They are separated, there is actually 3 of them. You can pay 15 for Classic, pay 15 for retail, or pay 15 to play both.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    If you exclusively play Classic, you are basically paying a monthly sub for them keeping the lights on, despite the running costs of Classic being next to 0.

I'd recommend then not wandering off into the Classic forum, but that's seemingly difficult for some people.
    Tough titty, put me on ignore if you don't like the cut of my jib when I choose to voice it.

yet all this 'recreation' project did cost them resources

anyways blizard is perfectly reasonable here: they don't care what server you're playing at (because classic is just that- a server), the sub is the same

and you do pay less than retail: you don't buy xpacs

Quote Originally Posted by Usagi Senshi View Post
    Tough titty, put me on ignore if you don't like the cut of my jib when I choose to voice it.
    You're free to post whatever you want, but people who feel the urge to voice their dislike for a group of people are usually just attention whoring or trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    You're free to post whatever you want, but people who feel the urge to voice their dislike for a group of people are usually just attention whoring or trolling.
    You know what buddy, you're right. You were also the bigger man and didn't come back at me with insults a blazing.

I tend to get a bit heated in my momentary outburts of internal hatred that ebbs and flows from me at times.

Sorry

You pay for the retail subscription plus the added bonus of access to Classic servers. The percentage of WoW players who are so totally obsessed with Classic that they cannot even stomach the possibility of playing the retail game is so vanishingly small that it's not even worth taking into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    I imagine if they separated them, it'd also be $15. They likely fused them knowing the playerbase is rather split (example, I'm one of the only people I know who actively play both versions. Everyone in my Classic guild is classic only, and same for my retail guild). So they're not really losing anything.

Besides, it was $15 in 2004. #NoChanges.
    It's technically cheaper now. $15 today is only worth about $11 in November 2004.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djaye View Post
    so, ya. i havent played retail or even had an inclination to log into my retail account since mid legion. the game is a shell of the experience i fell in love with years ago and the communities in retail dont exist. it is currently the worst mmorpg on the market imo.

i simply want to know what everyone thinks about having separate sub models for the games.

15$ for both seems reasonable. But, for players like me, it is a complete rip off as i have no use for retail and never use the account. so i pay 15$ a month for a 15 year old game.
    now, i get it. people will pay it. but, dont you think if they dropped it to something more reasonable, like say 5$ a month, it would attract more players who would like to try it but dont want to add yet another 10-20$ entertainment sub into their lives.

i know blizz aint gonna do shite as they are no longer a consumer friendly company, but still curious what the general interest would be.

thanx
    They literally give you classic for free if you have an active sub (which hasn't increased in cost in 15 years), which you can pay for with gold and therefore without paying a dime of real life money, but they somehow aren't consumer friendly enough for you.

Okay.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Djaye View Post

thanx
    you paid 15$ 16 years ago, thats like 18$ now, if you still cant pay 15$ well then... idk mate.

I'm sorry to hear that some people aren't doing well financially, but 15 bucks pays for full 30 days of entertainment, which is really low price considering that "you" can chug down on pizza just to be hungry 6 hours later.

Shared subscription is actually very healthy for both communities. I can only speculate but I suspect that the initial player surge was highly influenced by retail players trying out the classic version of the game.

I've also seen so many people who actually came back to play vanilla but ended up playing retail version. I've heard plenty testimonies in guild/server/instance chat. Keep the shared sub, so people can switch around games with ease.

I can't believe people complain about 15$ for a game that gives you so many hours of enjoyment. The new releases on ps4 cost 70$ and deluxe 100$ and only last for max 40 hour without replayability.
    If you fill the game doesn't worth 15$ per month it's better to put xbox gamepass and play video games with 1$ per month .