View Poll Results: Is Covid an offensive name for a Bat?

Voters
111. This poll is closed
  • Yes

43 38.74%
  • No

68 61.26%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    offensive? no. tasteless? yeah it's definitely in poor taste considering people have died from it
    People die(sadly in not_enough_numbers) from everything(literally) let's ban naming altogether then? /sigh.
    Last edited by Pu3Ho3; 2020-04-08 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pu3Ho3 View Post
    People die(sadly in not_enough_numbers) from everything(literally) let's ban naming altogether then? /sigh.
    Fucking cringe.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if I would call it offensive so much as just plain tasteless/crass.

Nearly 100 000 people have died of this virus already and that number is set to increase on an exponential scale. And the economic impact it is having/will have on people is going to be devastating on a global scale. You're talking about people losing their jobs, their livelihoods, their businesses, their homes. This is the worst disaster in living history for most people on the planet.

Just before my country went into lockdown, I was standing in the queue at the hardware store doing my best to keep a sensible distance from other people. Behind me were a group of three kids (probably 17-19 or thereabouts) who were joking away about the whole situation. At one point the one guy says to the other two: "want to see something funny, watch this". He then starts coughing loudly. I just turned around and said "That's not funny".

There are times to have a joke and laugh. And I do agree that during a time like this humour can be a powerful tool for maintaining sanity. But keep it respectful and consider the fact that for a lot of people, probably hundreds of millions of people, this is going to have devastating consequences.

If you want an example of what I mean by acceptable humour: Look at Samuel L. Jackson's "Stay the fuck at home" video. Hilarious, but without detracting from the seriousness of the situation (with a powerful and helpful underlying message to boot)

Offensive? No
    Tasteless? Yes
    Desperate cry for attention? Yes

No, but "Kungflu" would be.

Salty Feline Overlord Beerbill Society's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just call it Aids, people don't die from it :X (it's a joke, please don't strike me)

I mean Blizzard has a pretty restricting policy with naming and behaviour, no wonder they do something like this, they live in a world of rainbows and fairies where you can kill and grief someone for hours but you can't use X word cuz it is offensive.

Since I had problems on the past with their moderation I avoid everything that is remotely polemic in-game, even joking using the the game channels is something I avoid doing so, I almost got ban for sending a in-game mail to a friend and a GM contacted me for it (like no reports whatsoever, they actively scan everything).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    No one else find it ironic the person is called Lubefist?
    It kinda is lol
    Last edited by Beerbill Society; 2020-04-08 at 06:34 PM.

"... And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee." - Ezekiel 25:17

"My name is Legion: for we are many." - Mark 5:9
    My characters :3

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pu3Ho3 View Post
    Well I mean most names aren’t about viruses or things that kill people. I’ve never seen pet names like CarCrash or Obesity or CrushedByHippo so I don’t think it’s that big of an issue

Past weeks, I've seen so many chars and guilds named after covid. And I always report them.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a bit offensive, the disease has killed tens of thousands and infected a million and a half people. It's also no laughing matter, it's a terrible way to die.

With that said, I wouldn't go out of my way to report you. Probably just roll my eyes and move on with my life.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by khazlol View Post
    maybe you could get a away with more subtle bat names like soup
    I just did a heroic not ten minutes ago with a guy named Batsoupyum.
    Putin khuliyo

they tend to frown on current events being used.. using a global pandemic it should not be a shocker this happened
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Same.
    It is tasteless really, but it an easy better avoid that person. I see it as a good thing, i dont think me and Coronagodlolx can ever be best friends so it saves me from trying to get to know them

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson View Post
    Btw, in pre-BC WoW, you would get reported and banned for saying even "fuck".
    No, you wouldn't. That's why the profanity filter has existed for 16 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterwep View Post
    Can't use brand names, that is clearly mentioned in their EULA
    Corona means crown in many languages. Can't get offended by an inanimate object, right? And this is NOT a challenge.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by khazlol View Post
    Well it's not offensive to me, but it is a current event and people are dying. i imagine some might find it tasteless.

Probably just a case of to soon.
    People are dying to wild animal attacks, fever, car crashes, serial killers, bandits, gnome junkies etc., but I don't see people getting offended over this kinda names... I'm pretty much with the OP on this one. If causes of death are not fit to be names... We need to remove a whole lot of abilities from the... Oh, so that's what the pruning was truly about!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    People are dying. You should have expected this outcome. How is this a surprise?
    People are dying every day to many different things. Including a lot that share names with WoW abilities. This is a shit argument, sir.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    offensive? no. tasteless? yeah it's definitely in poor taste considering people have died from it
    People have died in various crashes yet one of the most popular video game characters ever is named Crash, and nobody is calling it tasteless. People die to serial killers and pyromaniac, yet... look at the first tier of fire mage talents. T A S T E L E S S af, bro! People also died to nuclear bomb blast waves... Look at the mage ability... Your logic is so flawed that WoW's gearing system wants a date with it. It says your logic makes it feel impeccable again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lubefist View Post
    Rape is never fun topic to joke about, grow up and get on with the times. And saying shit like "you can't say anything anymore without people getting offended" makes you sound like a bitter manflake incel.
    Posts like that make you sound exactly the same Fascinating. Also what times? Over half of earth's population is against this kinda crap.

Generally, if you have to ask then you are better off going a different direction.

As a someone who's gone through years of therapy and have bad case of PTSD among other issues due to sexual abuse I can tell you that it's not fucking fine to joke about some things. If person X's need to joke about some issue surpasses his empathy and potential triggering and hurting someone, then he's a complete cunt as a person plain and simple.
    Maybe, just maybe, your therapy didn't work too well if you still react this way? Maybe person X also has some very bad experiences and is using humour and jokes to cope with them? You are being extremely non-empathetic for somebody who claims to be sexual abuse victim. Also extremely close-minded for somebody acting like a progressive.

Did it ever occur to you that by taking away person X's ability to project and funnel their experiences, you are actually partaking in the same act that made them this way? 8 years ago my girlfriend miscarried. It was some really shitty time in my life and it's scarred me forever, even now I do not want to have children and I've been afraid of getting involved with women for a very long time. What helped me was a girl I've met at a local Subway shop. She has the most morbid sense of humour I've ever seen, and it's become a way for me to cope with my traumas as well. Turns out she was joking about her own traumas as well.

I understand that not everybody is this way, so if asked I would probably not joke like that with a given person, but if somebody tried to force me into stopping... ef them.
    Last edited by Huggykaze; 2020-04-13 at 05:52 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    I don't find it offensive but given the current state of the world, I can see why it upsets people.
    Maybe I'd find it offensive if I had lost someone to Covid.

I named my rogue Serialsapist and of course everyone got flustered about it.

People can't take a fucking joke, welcome to the "outraged on twitter" generation.

Back in the 90s and 2000s no one gave a fuck, the Internet was nothing like it is today. You literally can't use regular cuss words on some FPS servers anymore, it's ridiculous. Btw, in pre-BC WoW, you would get reported and banned for saying even "fuck".
    yeah no,rape wasnt funny in 2000 and it isnt in 2020,and it wont be anytime soon

- - - Updated - - -

Back in 2006 I had a UD male char named Fister which was fine apparently. But when I made UD female priest alt and named her Sisterfister it was too much and I got 3 days ban for it.

EDIT: ups, sorry forgot it was pet names only.
    the heck?they used to ban for that?wtf,i dont care how offensive the name is...a ban doesnt seem warranted

10+ Year Old Account
    As a someone who's gone through years of therapy and have bad case of PTSD among other issues due to sexual abuse I can tell you that it's not fucking fine to joke about some things. If person X's need to joke about some issue surpasses his empathy and potential triggering and hurting someone, then he's a complete cunt as a person plain and simple.
    Yet your username here is lubefist. Is that your way of dealing with past issues?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by Huggykaze View Post
    No, you wouldn't. That's why the profanity filter has existed for 16 years.
    Don't make me dig up screenshots from 14 years ago just to disprove this idiotic statement.

Yes, and people would disable it and report you for swearing, because that's how they got their power kick in life, by punishing people for things they didn't even have to see if they didn't want to.

It wasn't until BC when people started making fun publicly in chat of these people that the trend died down, people started swearing more, and blizzard probably got overflowed with reports from people saying basic swears like "fuck" and "eat shit" and realized they needed to ease back on their puritan bullshit.

I don't even understand why you would try to refute this real piece of WoW's history, without even using an argument that makes sense.

Don't make me dig up screenshots from 14 years ago just to disprove this idiotic statement.

Yes, and people would disable it and report you for swearing, because that's how they got their power kick in life, by punishing people for things they didn't even have to see if they didn't want to.

It wasn't until BC when people started making fun publicly in chat of these people that the trend died down, people started swearing more, and blizzard probably got overflowed with reports from people saying basic swears like "fuck" and "eat shit" and realized they needed to ease back on their puritan bullshit.

I don't even understand why you would try to refute this real piece of WoW's history, without even using an argument that makes sense.
    Please, give me the screenshots.

Back when pvp titles first came out I laughed super hard at someone named Explosion with the challenger title. So making stupid names is as old as the hills and all it takes is one person getting their undies in a bunch reporting it to end some funny names so don't take it personally op.