10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    I have seen no indication that Pence really has any leverage over Trump, he is a useful asset, but he is just a toady, not a controller.
    Pence could have changed the way this worked ages ago, and it's too late now. But, he still has the option of threatening to resign, tell everyone Trump is a horrible person and President, destroy his re-election and legacy forever. But he can't/won't use that for every little thing. Murdering thousands of Americans? He'd use it for that.

If your only weapon is a Fat Man, you don't fire it at radroaches. You save it for deathclaws.

- - - Updated - - -

This CNN article, which I'm just going to post while laughing hysterically, lays out the case for who Trump's greatest ally is:

The Fed's Powell.

Who Trump's maligned for years.

The world's most powerful central bank has done more, faster, than any central bank in history as the Covid-19 pandemic has ravaged the US economy, leaving tens of thousands of small businesses on the precipice of implosion and creating a cascade of job losses totaling in the millions each week.

Under Powell -- a former investment banker appointed by Trump, who has since suggested he regretted the choice -- the Fed has pushed the boundaries of actions and power to a degree that was considered exceedingly difficult, unlikely or impossible as recently as the 2008 financial crisis.

"It really is impressive the speed with which they move," David Wessel, a senior fellow in economic studies at the Brookings Institution and the author of the definitive history of the Fed's actions during the 2008 crisis. "They are doing things in days and weeks that it took them months to do during '07, '08 and '09."

The latest blast, announced this past week, would provide up to $2.3 trillion in lending programs for companies, cities and states, a move that extended the scale Fed's efforts to a place they had simply never been before.

Powell, in a conversation with Wessel on Thursday after the rollout of the latest lending bazooka, framed the action -- and everything the Fed has done -- as an effort to match the moment with commensurate action.

"None of us has the luxury of choosing our challenges; fate and history provide them for us. Our job is to meet the tests we are presented," Powell said. "At the Fed, we are doing all we can to help shepherd the economy through this difficult time."
    Now the article does go on to point out criticism -- for example, the possible/likely bad actors who are encouraged to lend to struggling companies. But I think it's hilarious that, just like with China, Trump is forced to beg someone for help when he's been bad-mouthing them nonstop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    Let's be fair, they would have spun it that way anyway. This administration believes - to some extent rightfully so - that they can rewrite past statements to begin with.
    They would have but he could have made it harder for them, all those times when he did not step in all those times when he did not directly and clearly corrected the president but had to do so in a matter that didn't hurt his feelings. I am sorry but that man doesn't deserve half of the praise he gets. There's a person on stage telling people to take a deadly drug and he goes "oh well yeah better not do it" , simply weak.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Pence could have changed the way this worked ages ago, and it's too late now. But, he still has the option of threatening to resign, tell everyone Trump is a horrible person and President, destroy his re-election and legacy forever. But he can't/won't use that for every little thing. Murdering thousands of Americans? He'd use it for that.

If your only weapon is a Fat Man, you don't fire it at radroaches. You save it for deathclaws.
    I just think it is widely optimistic to think that Pence is saving it for anything. I doubt he sees any red lines at all. To get this far with this administration you have to have rationalized and internalized a lot of shit, I don't think Pence sees the existence of an exit ramp. If Trump fires Fauci against Pence's advice, I don't think that changes anything for Pence.

That said, I am not at all convinced it is Pence that is advocating for Fauci, it could also be McConnell. McConnell is really paranoid about the idea of a Democratic sweep in November on the back of this, and firing Fauci would not help his cause.

10+ Year Old Account
    The CDC is now saying we could reach the peak this week.

I seem to remember the peak being announced as last week...but, whatever, better safe than sorry.

By the way, meat plants are starting to get in trouble as their workers get sick so...plan your shopping accordingly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Omaha Steaks have 40% off right now. Better get em while you can guys. 75$ for 8 steaks, 4 chicken breast, 8 hot dogs, 2 chops, and frozen mashed taders.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Omaha Steaks have 40% off right now. Better get em while you can guys. 75$ for 4 steaks, 4 chicken breast, 8 hot dogs, 2 chops, and frozen mashed taders.
    Am I the only one who thinks their meats are ridiculously overrated?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks their meats are ridiculously overrated?
    Kinda, I dont get them as "the best cuts" but they always have good deals on meats. So its good for bulk like parties etc.

Kinda, I dont get them as "the best cuts" but they always have good deals on meats. So its good for bulk like parties etc.
    My buddy sent me some as a "thank you" for helping he and his wife out with a thing, and I was very underwhelmed by it all. I mean, don't get me wrong, I was grateful... but I was definitely not impressed by the quality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Fauci is bulletproof.
    Please don't say that, Trump supporters will take it as a challenge, and we know how literal a lot of them are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    My buddy sent me some as a "thank you" for helping he and his wife out with a thing, and I was very underwhelmed by it all. I mean, don't get me wrong, I was grateful... but I was definitely not impressed by the quality.
    Def, nothing beats a fresh select cut from the local butcher. But some people swear by em`. I just swear by the price because I'm always looking for a deal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Please don't say that, Trump supporters will take it as a challenge, and we know how literal a lot of them are.
    Yeah def, especially as DrudgeReport has as its top headline right now "TRUMP FIRE FAUCI?".

/facepalm Trump is losing his fkn mind right now.
    "Hey, you know that one guy on my team that actually knows what hes talking about?!, YEAH! that guy! Fire his ass now!". . . . . . . DJT 4/13/2020

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    /facepalm Trump is losing his fkn mind right now.
    "Hey, you know that one guy on my team that actually knows what hes talking about?!, YEAH! that guy! Fire his ass now!". . . . . . . DJT 4/13/2020
    When your organization is 99% ignorant toadies, it is easier to fire the one guy that knows what he is talking about, and thus keeps disagreeing with everyone else. See also: McMaster, Mattis, Tillerson, Kelly...

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't help that Fauchi is seen as smarter than Trump and more "popular" than Trump.

LOL check off another wonderful hypocritical moment in trump/republican history....

GG, states rights. GG, constitution....again....

But the sheep will baaaaaahhhhh.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp

For the purpose of creating conflict and confusion, some in the Fake News Media are saying that it is the Governors decision to open up the states, not that of the President of the United States & the Federal Government,” tweeted Trump on Monday. “Let it be fully understood that this is incorrect. It is the decision of the President, and for many good reasons. With that being said, the Administration and I are working closely with the Governors, and this will continue. A decision by me, in conjunction with the Governors and input from others, will be made shortly!”
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    With that being said, the Administration and I
    He...know's he's a part of the administration...right? That it's his administration? Good lord the depths of his ignorance and stupidity are astounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    He...know's he's a part of the administration...right? That it's his administration? Good lord the depths of his ignorance and stupidity are astounding.
    The depths of his ignorance and stupidity are only rivaled by the people who support it.
    Looking for <Good Quotes for Signature>.

Yup, I guess it's time for someone to explain the 10th Amendment to him in small words. And then, as always, turn to the rest of the GOP and recite the 25th.

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/e...arns-of-mortal

White House trade adviser Peter Navarro went air to criticize medical professionals for only warning about half of the risk from the coronavirus, the risk to people.

He's pretty unhappy that they haven't talked about the risk the economy -

“Instead, they piously preen on their soap boxes speaking only half of the medical truth without reference or regard for the other half of the equation,” he added, “which is the very real mortal dangers associated with the closure of the economy for an extended period.”
    I'm not sure when the economy started having a pulse, but those darned doctors and their focus on keeping people safe and healthy aren't thinking about the damage they're doing to the economy!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    For the purpose of creating conflict and confusion, some in the Fake News Media are saying that it is the Governors decision to open up the states, not that of the President of the United States & the Federal Government,” tweeted Trump on Monday. “Let it be fully understood that this is incorrect. It is the decision of the President, and for many good reasons. With that being said, the Administration and I are working closely with the Governors, and this will continue. A decision by me, in conjunction with the Governors and input from others, will be made shortly!”
    That sounds a lot like "I know, but I'm not telling".

We know this is a lie, because otherwise states couldn't lock down without his permission, either. Which they did not ask for or wait for. Except Florida.

- - - Updated - - -

HAHHAHA "mortal" HAHAHAHAHA people are dying, and he's saying the mortal danger is money HAHAHAHAHAHA

10+ Year Old Account
    https://thehill.com/policy/finance/e...arns-of-mortal

White House trade adviser Peter Navarro went air to criticize medical professionals for only warning about half of the risk from the coronavirus, the risk to people.

I'm not sure when the economy started having a pulse, but those darned doctors and their focus on keeping people safe and healthy aren't thinking about the damage they're doing to the economy!
    At least there is some consistency there since he, as an economist, wants to lecture doctors about medicine, and now he wants doctors to lecture him about economics.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    At least there is some consistency there since he, as an economist, wants to lecture doctors about medicine, and now he wants doctors to lecture him about economics.
    He'll have to find doctors that give a fuck about that first. I'm sure they all do, they're impacted by this and many have already seen paycuts. But I'm also sure that their primary interest is in keeping people safe and healthy so that we can all get back to work sooner rather than later so that this thing doesn't drag out.

Yet again we're having the problem where the Trump administration seems to be hoping and planning for the best case scenario rather than the worst, and isn't willing to make the hard and unpopular short-term choices needed to keep this from being a longer term, more severe problem. Because those short-term decisions would be more strict shutdowns for sure, and that'd kill Trumps election chances. And it seems that "getting re-elected" is the primary driving force behind his decision making thus far.