Legendaries going forward

My personal opinions about legendary gear is that it should be rare. I believe that giving them out to everyone just makes them epics with a different color. Now not being an elitest and saying only mythic raiders should get them or anything, and I definitely wouldn't want them tied to rng, but I was thinking about a different idea.

What if legendary gear from now on was released one piece per armor type each tier and involved doing a long quest chain that involved doing some reasonably challenging group content (final boss of a heroic raid, or +15 key), but at the end required you to complete a solo challenge that was on par with the mage tower in difficulty.

This way it would truly feel like legendary loot is earned and not just given away for free or tied to rng, and would still be within reach for non mythic raiders if they had the skill enough to complete the solo challenge for the tier.

So what do you guys think about this, got any ideas of your own? Please share them.

There is no solution to this "problem". And the only acceptable one is orange-colored gear.

Making it tied to RNG sucks too hard.
    Tying it to hard content will make casuals mad.
    Tying it to a quest only makes it effectively one gear slot less.

And your idea is going to make casuals mad while more skilled players will just have one gear slot less.

10+ Year Old Account
    What if we made legendaries into SUPER legendaries where only the first players on the server within a 24 hour period who have completed a certain chain can obtain it.

Having a long quest chain tied to one specific piece of gear ending with a truly great piece of solo content like the mage tower is a LOT of work for something only a few specific people get to see.

It would also get kinda boring after a while.

"Ah well, i guess this time its the shamans turn to win the dps meters".

Legendaries are really, really hard to get right. I dont think the old system of rng drops is going to cut it anymore.

What we are seeing atm is probably the best we have seen so far imo. Even with very little information on them

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xeddin View Post
    What if we made legendaries into SUPER legendaries where only the first players on the server within a 24 hour period who have completed a certain chain can obtain it.
    If there is no chance of getting them. Like literally no chance, its not even something you could perhaps see yourself doing one day. Then noone besides the people gunning for world first is going to even bother looking twice at them.

THe reason people looked up to them in the old days where because in their head they where like: "man... maybe one day, if i start raiding i will be able to get this cool item"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by brucecy92 View Post
    My personal opinions about legendary gear is that it should be rare. I believe that giving them out to everyone just makes them epics with a different color. Now not being an elitest and saying only mythic raiders should get them or anything, and I definitely wouldn't want them tied to rng, but I was thinking about a different idea.

What if legendary gear from now on was released one piece per armor type each tier and involved doing a long quest chain that involved doing some reasonably challenging group content (final boss of a heroic raid, or +15 key), but at the end required you to complete a solo challenge that was on par with the mage tower in difficulty.

This way it would truly feel like legendary loot is earned and not just given away for free or tied to rng, and would still be within reach for non mythic raiders if they had the skill enough to complete the solo challenge for the tier.

So what do you guys think about this, got any ideas of your own? Please share them.
    Wouldn't work in WoW as it is now. Remember that the largest majority of players are casuals, and the skill of casuals is hit or miss. A Final heroic raid boss or +15 alone would cockblock 90% of the population from legendaries, and that's just shitty. People like gear and fun stuff, and besides acquiring them, Legiondaries were pretty fun.

Now, have all this as a way of UPGRADING a legendary's ilvl? Maybe. The fun part of legendaries is typically their passive effects, so just having the piece itself would be fine for most casuals I think, but being able to upgrade in a manner that casuals can't would give the hardcore no lifers the "superiority they deserve" and that wholesome "I'm better than you" they so crave.
    Last edited by Jazzhands; 2020-04-14 at 05:31 AM.

"If we're all special, then no one is!" Syndrome.

Legendaries are a dated idea. I'm tired of doing massive long content chains being locked to an orange just so im meant to feel good having an orange colored item instead of purple.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    "If we're all special, then no one is!" Syndrome.

Legendaries are a dated idea. I'm tired of doing massive long content chains being locked to an orange just so im meant to feel good having an orange colored item instead of purple.
    Legendary stat sticks are indeed.

The legendaries we where presented with in legion, and now again in SL are going to have impacts on your character. That actually has a lot of value today.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Legendary stat sticks are indeed.

The legendaries we where presented with in legion, and now again in SL are going to have impacts on your character. That actually has a lot of value today.
    Well I cant speak for SL its not final yet.

But legendary in legion WOULD have been ok if you could have picked which one from the start and not making winners and losers based on who got their BiS first for two raids tiers so no I wouldnt called that a success.

And legendary cloak in BFA is fucking boring.

also the legendary trinket in legion made it impossible for people to return to the game because if you didnt have it you wouldnt get invited to raids. Same thing with the ring in warlords.

Bin em
    Last edited by Volatilis; 2020-04-14 at 05:37 AM.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    Well I cant speak for SL its not final yet.

But legendary in legion WOULD have been ok if you could have picked which one from the start and not making winners and losers based on who got their BiS first for two raids tiers so no I wouldnt called that a success.

And legendary cloak in BFA is fucking boring.

also the legendary trinket in legion made it impossible for people to return to the game because if you didnt have it you wouldnt get invited to raids. Same thing with the ring in warlords.

Bin em
    I'm not talking about how you aqquired them or how rng they where to get, that much sucked and blizzard admitted that aswell(i had rotten luck aswell here). I'm talking about the impact they made when you got them, which was quite large.

And yeah the bfa stuff is not good.

There are middle grounds though. As an example they could limit the legendaries to having defensive/utility capabilities. Still making them really really good, but perhaps not insanely frustrating.

I am genuinely excited about legendaries in SL either way. THey arent as RNG as Legion being something you unlock and craft. So something you actively work towards.

shadowlands has a lot of crafted legendaries.

most of recipes you will learn in thorgast - luckily they are account-wide meaning all you need is 1 good geared toon and your crafters can craft them for all your alts.

ofc knowing blizzard they will lock materials for them in raids to force people into raiding because they have no clue how crafting in mmorpgs should look like.

I Think the current legendary approach is the correct one

Nay it is Epics that should be rarer. Mythic 15+ and Mythic raids could have epics. Rest rares.

And I say that as a casual scrub������

Quote Originally Posted by Wysmark View Post
    I Think the current legendary approach is the correct one

Nay it is Epics that should be rarer. Mythic 15+ and Mythic raids could have epics. Rest rares.

And I say that as a casual scrub������
    Colour really doesnt matter at this point. Its more important what the items do. Its important that when geared your characters play well. Its also important that gear choices matter.

Quote Originally Posted by xeddin View Post
    so the 0.01% of each server being in guild like method would be the only one to have them ? no thx

Was there ever a discussion on going back to how legendary items originally were, or nah?

So...the Torghast Tower.