Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Why blood elves are so small ?

Hello guys, Compare to other elven races bloodelves are very small. i was wondering if there is any lore behind it? Lor’themar looks okay actually.

Because they are night elves but more advanced and elegant, hence why they have a more petite form.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

In real life there is huge variance between individuals, but since Blizzard opted not to include such modifications to character creation we get the same body representation race-wide. Because of this it's possible blood elves actually aren't that much shorter on average than night elves, or that for over 10 000 years their height was affected by different nutrition in their new environment. Their less muscular build can be explained by way of life; in highborne fashion blood elves prefer a more luxurious high society life, where as night elves are into amazonian stuff in the wilds.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They are normal. Zandalari are retardedly big, for example, makes no sense. Tauren should always be the biggest. Night elfs are tall, but that makes sense as so are trolls, but Zandalari are a bit too much :/

Comparing trolls with elves as it is kind of the same after all.

Quote Originally Posted by monkaTOS View Post
    Because Horde needed a "cute" race
    Taurens and undeads are cute, too

Quote Originally Posted by kingarthas View Post
    Hello guys, Compare to other elven races bloodelves are very small. i was wondering if there is any lore behind it? Lor’themar looks okay actually.
    I seriously don't know, in Warcraft 3 and even on the BC artwork they looked much more buff or at leat lean and muscular and TALL.
    Spellbreaker was buff in WC3.

In WoW the first thing I thought when I saw them is that they must be there to pander to the metrosexual/same sex male crowd or something, same like Pandaria for Chinese players. I thought the male were gonna be announced as gay, not gonna lie. The pose, the hair...

BC did a lot of weird shit to the WC lore, starting with the spaceships.

Thalassian elves are tall, but not outside the realm of human possibility, likely 6-7 feet for men at most. Night elves are tall outside the human norm, probably ranging from 7-8.5 feet at most for men. This is just my headcanon, but I take the in-game models as a rough average of the appearance of the race. Going by in-game models, night elves are on average a foot taller than blood/high elves.

The reason could be that the Night Elves were nourished for their entire evolution by the Well of Eternity, and then after it was destroyed, they were further empowered by the new Well of Eternity and their connection to Nordrassil blessed by the Dragon Aspects. Alexstrasza gave the elves strength and vitality, Ysera connected them to the emerald dream which made them more powerful druids which no doubt came with other nature-related buffs, and Nozdormu gave them immortality so they'd never die of old age or disease.

The original Well of Eternity was super strong, then the second was made with 3 vials of water from the original Well, but the rest of that power could have possibly been made up for by the Dragons' blessings.

The High Elves on the other hand were forced to go without magic for I assume 500 years from landing in Tirisfal Glades (7300 years before WC1) to the time when they founded Quel'thalas and created the Sunwell (6800 years before WC1). The Sunwell was made with only one vial of water from the original Well of Eternity, which may not have been enough power to return them to their original forms. It could also be that Elune and the night-focused culture of the Night Elves had something to do with their appearance, and the high elves' rejection of that could have also played a factor in their remaining in their new appearance. Must have been a big blow to them physically and caused their devolution to a weaker and smaller version of their former selves.

5+ Year Old Account
    In a world with actual giants ,Vrykul, everyone is some.

Imo if you’re bigger than a gnome you should never be considered short.

I'd guess because Blizzard followed the general idea in many fantasy properties that have elves being usually smaller or more lithe than humans, Dark Sun elves being the main exception I can think of.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The canon reason is that when they were exiled to the Eastern Kingdoms they were too far away from the world tree and the new well of eternity so they lost their immortality and became physically shorter and weaker and their skin lost the purple colour.
    Me not that kind of Orc!

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    They are normal. Zandalari are retardedly big, for example, makes no sense. Tauren should always be the biggest. Night elfs are tall, but that makes sense as so are trolls, but Zandalari are a bit too much :/

Yeah.. having my Zandalari be almost 8 feet tall is ridiculous. I could see 6 feet to something like 6'5" feet tall, but 8 it too much. How they fit in doorways is a mystery
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

It could be possible that maybe not even the Night Elves were originally as tall as they were, and it wasn't until Alexstrasza's blessing on the World Tree for strength and vitality that they grew, and the highborne leaving to the Eastern Kingdoms caused them to lose it. Maybe the blood/high elf height was always their natural height? Blizz could say that's the case if they felt like it, and it wouldn't be too much of a lore hiccup.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    Yeah.. having my Zandalari be almost 8 feet tall is ridiculous. I could see 6 feet to something like 6'5" feet tall, but 8 it too much. How they fit in doorways is a mystery
    regular troll are just as tall, they are just hunched over.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kehego View Post
    regular troll are just as tall, they are just hunched over.
    Are the girls that tall too? They seem to be around 5'6' to 6'0' feet tall
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Lets just have another look at this specific part.

Night elfs are tall, but that makes sense as so are trolls
    Do you not realize that all elfs are basicly the same race? They all come from the same ancestor that came from the trolls. If it makes sense that night elves are tall because they stem from trolls, then so should Blood Elfs :/

7+ Year Old Account

Zandalari are even bigger in Lore
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Lets just have another look at this specific part.

Do you not realize that all elfs are basicly the same race? They all come from the same ancestor that came from the trolls. If it makes sense that night elves are tall because they stem from trolls, then so should Blood Elfs :/
    The bodies of Warcraft elves mutate based on their magical "diet", when the ancestors of the Blood Elves were exiled by the Night Elves they lost access to their normal magical intake. They basically wandered around malnourished before settling in the Eastern Kingdoms, and that period had permanent effects on them like shrinking them.

Also it's hard to model a valley girl race on an 8 foot tall model.

When they are in mood of adding some skin colors etc. I wish they make belf abit longer and more masculine.

Quote Originally Posted by Niroshi View Post
    The bodies of Warcraft elves mutate based on their magical "diet", when the ancestors of the Blood Elves were exiled by the Night Elves they lost access to their normal magical intake. They basically wandered around malnourished before settling in the Eastern Kingdoms, and that period had permanent effects on them like shrinking them.

Also it's hard to model a valley girl race on an 8 foot tall model.
    Is this official lore? I havent read that, but if its true i'd like to.

Quote Originally Posted by monkaTOS View Post
    Because Horde needed a "cute" race
    This is the only answer you need.

Blizzard added blood elves to correct massive faction imbalance for the Horde. People didn't want to play as "ugly" races.