Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh hell yeah, give me more of this dead game.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

It's been so amazing they're already to move onto BC after the years and years that Classic servers have been up and running

Quote Originally Posted by Domm530 View Post
    Lol, no it has not been a huge succes. It had been what they expected, alot came to try and then 90% would quit
    A high percentage of players coming to try and then quitting does not mean it wasn't a huge success. That is expected and happens every expansion (arguably since WoW first released, certainly since Cata at least).

Considering it's a re-release with absolutely no new content (and not enough changes to be considered a remaster), and it did in many ways better than new expansion releases, I would personally say it at the very least the launch was a huge success. Certainly better than I expected. And considering the amount of new realms they had to create after the initial ones they announced, I'm going to say it was also better than they expected.

Twitch views on launch were nearly double the twitch views on BfA's launch.
    Google trends launch peak was higher than both BfA's and Legion's launches.

As for official data, we have the following information from earnings calls:
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    • World of Warcraft Classic drove the biggest quarterly increase to subscription plans in franchise history, in both the West and East.
    • There was significant growth in the size of the World of Warcraft audience.
    As compared to the earnings call after BfA launch:
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    • World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth set a new day-one franchise record with more than 3.4 million units sold-through.
    • World of Warcraft engagement grew strongly quarter-over-quarter. The expansion saw strong participation in value-added services.

Now, to how good Classic is doing in the long term, it's honestly guesswork. We don't really have reliable data on Classic player retention and how many MAUs it has, and how that compares to BfA. We might get a clue from the next quarter earnings call, but it is so vague and PR-talk it's hard to get any good idea. With that said, considering it's pretty much confirmed that they are internally discussing/planning Classic TBC, I would guess it did fairly well. Of course, the definition of what a "huge success" is will vary wildly from person to person.
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2020-04-14 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    It is because you have the President of Blizzard going on record basically saying that's fine as long as the number of people playing Classic is above 0.
    Thus it's damn hard for Classic to perform below expectations in the long term.

Your comment was just a pointless jab at Classic without any substance.

And by the way, by the end of 2019 (~4 months after Classic release) WoW had more than double the sub size than during the end of Q2.
    yeah you have him on record saying a lot of things both for and against classic.

but the one you quoted is clearly not an expectation, it's more of a worst case scenario hypothetical. the most logical way to interpret that is "it's fine of people dont stick around, cause we will have made our return on investment." or "it's fine if people quit eventually, development wise the game will be EoL in a few years anyways." or if you wanna be more cynical "it's fine if people quit, i told you so, and now i can finally close this chapter."

i'm sure if you ask the number crunchers are blizz what they expected the long term playerbase to be, the current numbers are within their ranges. the playercount on launch probably was above their expectations though.
    Last edited by Hellobolis; 2020-04-14 at 06:13 PM.

Still get queues there to log in on evenings and weekends on gehennas sometimes so pretty active still.

Back on retail for abit now though getting my hunter and rogue up to speed.

It's nice you can play both with same sub.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by bryroo View Post
    It's been so amazing they're already to move onto BC after the years and years that Classic servers have been up and running
    It's fairly certain that they can maintain a healthy playerbase long-term, most likely more than enough to justify server and operation costs - especially if they release fresh servers once in a while. It will be a dwindling overall playerbase, of course - just like WoW has been for nearly 10 years. But likely enough to keep it alive.

Also, "already"? They're just starting to get information on it. The earliest TBC will release is August/September next year which will be 2 years after Classic release. That's just about what was to be expected if they ever did move on to BC - use it to maintain WoW population up during Shadowlands mid-expansion draught.
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2020-04-14 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumile View Post
    MC being infinitely more pugable than BWL has nothing to do with it, im sure, the fact that u drag 5 alts through MC a week with ease absolutely does not impact this. What an amazing deduction you have made.
    Less people did BWL than MC - facts. You can choose whatever excuse you want really.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    So, where are all these doomsayers now? From the moment Classic was announced, there was just a constant deluge of shitposters and doomsayers around here proclaiming that it's "just nostalgia", "dead in X weeks/months", "everyone's gonna quit when they remember how bad the game is", etc. etc.

8 months in and servers are having 2+ hour queues to get in. Even the "medium" population servers are still very lively, with main cities being packed full of players during primetime. I'm on a Medium server and right now Orgrimmar is so full it's making my FPS drop to 30.

So much for "UHHH IT'S JUST NOSTALGIA, EVERYONE'S GONNA QUIT, DEAD IN 2 WEEKS"

People has quit, also. The "I played back when it was hard" is more dead

10+ Year Old Account
    All of the streamers have quit as predicted lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    iirc karazhan, arcway, court of stars all had mandatory attunements to be able to enter in recent times.

eternal palace you could only get to with summon or a glitch if you didn't to the quest.

and when i go to uldum/vale on characters that don't have the cloak you get into a different phase aka can't see the raid entrance, so no entrance without summon.

antorus same deal, no entrance if you didn't do the quest on at least one char.

it was definitely more pronounced in legion than it is in BFA, but they are definitely there. definitely take more than an hour too. but as with all things in wow: the old style attunements are marred by nostalgia and the modern style attunement are much more streamlined and have catchup mechanics.

and let's be honest: classic has good and bad examples of attunements. MC and BWL attunements are bad, that's literally just 1 quest/dungeon run. (and that style of attunement has been hard baked into the game for years: you used to have to complete normal before being able to enter heroic, and now mythic is just released a week late).
    Most people use ony as the example of a good attunement (and i agree), but that is suddenly quite similar to the modern style. the modern style just has modern style changes to it like the aforementioned lack of group content.
    and then theres the third type of attunement: AQ. they have done toned down versions of that in legion too, most notably the way the mage tower unlocks.

so yeah if you ask me attunements haven't gone anywhere, they are just different now.
    Ok, I remember Legion attunements being blocking, but they were still pretty easy. Nothing close to TBC or Ony ones.

As for MoP and BfA, these are exceptions. Ever since WLK we've had 15 (?) raid tiers, 2 had some sort of soft attunement weaved into things you'd have done anyway. The attunements for Kara and Suramar dungeons were honestly extremely annoying. They didn't feel good neither in scale nor in giving you a sense of accomplishment, but they were there. So if you asked me, I'd say that in 15 raid tiers we've had 1 tier worth of actual attunements. Even if I agree to there being 3 tiers, it's still not enough to say "attunements haven't gone anywhere, they are just different now".

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Most people did quit tho...
    Most people have quit retail, must be a dead game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by bryroo View Post
    Those years and years were actually a bit over 3 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xGLxAnubis View Post
    Most people have quit retail, must be a dead game.
    It's kinda funny when you think about it, by the time of cataclysm, 90% of the people who tried wow had quit.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Actually I was older and already had kids maybe being a freelancer helped to be flexible and I worked from home - but I sacrificed my TV evenings for it and many weekends. Did I also have trouble with the Missus? You bet - Another thing that I wouldn't do again today. I would just not get into raiding anymore.

Even back then in TBC I wished that the attunements were at least account-wide. They stopped being epic when we were approaching Illidan, lost the MT and MH with 3 good dps to guild drama and needed to attune new players with kills of KJ and LV. It was just shit...and I never could get an alt into raiding. All these heroic keys needed, for which you had to do normal 5 mans until revered and then more stuff including quests that you could only get in a raid.

Yes..it was an epic adventure - and the memory always makes me roll my eyes when ppl today whine how "alt-unfriendly" retail is. Or how tedious it apparently is for players who come back to unlock Allied races and stuff. But even I do not want that time back, not the way it was handled.
    Actually, it'd have been great if they had been account-wide. I also agree they should have been disabled when Sunwell was released. The entire process was designed with BT being the last raid in mind, when Sunwell was added on top of it, I agree it's become a bit... tedious. On this topic, I actually raided with a total of 4 characters in TBC - 2 druids and 2 hunters (I know, I had to be mentally unstable). Maybe that's why I think I wouldn't be able to do it nowadays - all that was nuts. And I actually went on hiatus... TWICE!

I agree that these old systems as cool as they were, have been badly mishandled. I'd much prefer attunements to span one tier of content, not 4 (heroics, T4-6). When the new tier drops, old attunements become obsolete. People who cleared them before that should receive a title or some transmog items, maybe a mount.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    The time I now spend with 15+alts, I spend on one character in Classic, 2 or 3 in TBC. Like I said above, I worked at home...so I could always do stuff quickly with and for the family if needed. Get the kids from kindergarden or shopping. Not really a problem to play from 8 pm to midnight as well. Saturdays and sundays would often be 8 hrs each day and more. my wife played city building games and stuff, so at times we would still be together. Took me 17 days to reach lv 60 over 4 months or so and got late into raiding. I think my guild started raiding like October 2005 and we only cleared MC and BWL, then did ZG and AQ 20. I only ever levelled one alt in that time. We did try AQ 40 and Naxx but never really went anywhere.

Youngest in my guild was 16, most between 25-45.
    But I did spend more and more time in game as we started raiding and then especially in TBC were we raided more seriously and all raids.
    8 pm to midnight is one thing, 2 pm to 5 am... Yeah ^^

My first alt was in late AQ40, soon before the release of Naxx. I actually had a balance druid in Vanilla! Did some BWL alt runs, ZG and AQ20 runs with it. One of the reasons why I don't want to play WoW nowadays is alts becoming a big part of the gameplay. If you don't have one (or 5) you are literally missing out on gold, mats etc. Also, it gets extremely boring very fast because you blaze through the content too fast for the game to stay otherwise interesting outside raiding. I was never big on creating multiple toons to play with simultaneously.

yeah you have him on record saying a lot of things both for and against classic.
    Here's the secret about it:
    Blizzard never wanted to straight up say that only a technical problem is holding them back.

Tech companies usually don't say "we can't do that" very openly.
    "it's fine of people dont stick around, cause we will have made our return on investment."
    In other words, they really don't care about it because they have no expectations.
    or if you wanna be more cynical "it's fine if people quit, i told you so, and now i can finally close this chapter."
    Brack's personal opinion is kinda irrelevant, whether they have any expectations towards the longevity is another story however.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    Those years and years were actually a bit over 3 years.

- - - Updated - - -

It's kinda funny when you think about it, by the time of cataclysm, 90% of the people who tried wow had quit.
    huh?cataclysm was when wow peaked,and even with wod's lowest reported sub numbers it wasnt a 90% drop

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    huh?cataclysm was when wow peaked,and even with wod's lowest reported sub numbers it wasnt a 90% drop
    During cataclysm they reported there had been 100m accounts created, out of which roughly 12 million were subbed at the same time during the peak time.

Quote Originally Posted by Huggykaze View Post
    Actually, it'd have been great if they had been account-wide. I also agree they should have been disabled when Sunwell was released. The entire process was designed with BT being the last raid in mind, when Sunwell was added on top of it, I agree it's become a bit... tedious. On this topic, I actually raided with a total of 4 characters in TBC - 2 druids and 2 hunters (I know, I had to be mentally unstable). Maybe that's why I think I wouldn't be able to do it nowadays - all that was nuts. And I actually went on hiatus... TWICE!

I agree that these old systems as cool as they were, have been badly mishandled. I'd much prefer attunements to span one tier of content, not 4 (heroics, T4-6). When the new tier drops, old attunements become obsolete. People who cleared them before that should receive a title or some transmog items, maybe a mount.

8 pm to midnight is one thing, 2 pm to 5 am... Yeah ^^

My first alt was in late AQ40, soon before the release of Naxx. I actually had a balance druid in Vanilla! Did some BWL alt runs, ZG and AQ20 runs with it. One of the reasons why I don't want to play WoW nowadays is alts becoming a big part of the gameplay. If you don't have one (or 5) you are literally missing out on gold, mats etc. Also, it gets extremely boring very fast because you blaze through the content too fast for the game to stay otherwise interesting outside raiding. I was never big on creating multiple toons to play with simultaneously.
    I dont get your logic with alts,you are always ''missing out on gold'' if you dont play alts...how is it any different in classic?you still can only have 2 proffesions and its not like in wod anymore with insane mission table gold,whats even the problem?ofc people put in more time and resources in the game will have more gold,also...if you think alts are the best way to make gold you are very wrong,boosting is the best,you can make milions upon milions daily

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    During cataclysm they reported there had been 100m accounts created, out of which roughly 12 million were subbed at the same time during the peak time.
    ohh,thats what you ment lol,yeah

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    If you don't have a lot of time, you might not even get to classic endgame for 5-6 months, so to focus on endgame is not the right way to look at it.
    Dude I was there when the gates opened and I remember the leveling experience was nice the first 40 levels and a nightmare the last 20.

I leveled a toon till level 10 in October for the sake of nostalgia and it’s been a pain. Too slow, really too slow. I miss my old guild and friends and the raids but today I vastly prefer retail gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    Well, I was open minded about Classic, gave it a shot, and unfortunately it turned out that people like mentioned in the OP were right. The game fails to live up to the hype and by now is pretty much dead. People mostly play it these days because you don't have to pay for it separately and it doesn't require a powerful PC. Got a couple old school friends who are playing it for those very reasons only, as admited by them.
    Well, how scientific...

Quote Originally Posted by chiddie View Post
    Dude I was there when the gates opened and I remember the leveling experience was nice the first 40 levels and a nightmare the last 20.

I leveled a toon till level 10 in October for the sake of nostalgia and it’s been a pain. Too slow, really too slow. I miss my old guild and friends and the raids but today I vastly prefer retail gameplay.
    you rly cant make an argument for retail lvling being better than classic,in the recent expansions the way the story is presented has improved and quest variety has improved but the 1-60 or until 80 ish,you rly cant claim retail has it better,you go entire levels gaining nothing,you barely ever feel that you are getting stronger,granted they are looking to fix this in SL,but the slow tediousness of classic isnt coming back,some people rly prefer that,because for them classic isnt just about endgame like these days