Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    It is a proprietary SSD that is way faster then anything on the open market right now. There is expansion slots for it but after vita memory card prices won't even guess how much sony will be charging for those. You can use externals still but for the game to be playable it has to be installed on the SSD so need to take the time to transfer the data as needed,
    Oh well, I usually wait a couple of years before buying the next console so there will probably be a larger storage option by the time i get around to it (if they come out this year I probably won't end up picking one up til around 2025 lol)

Quick thing I’m wondering about when it comes to weapons, is it me or are all of the weapons as powerful as each other? The way they’re being upgraded it seems that you can just choose based on how you want your character to look like :O if I’m mistaken please correct me XD

There's still differences, instead of weapons being simply an upgrade, each weapon serves as a vehicle for different builds.

Quote Originally Posted by un_known View Post
    Quick thing I’m wondering about when it comes to weapons, is it me or are all of the weapons as powerful as each other? The way they’re being upgraded it seems that you can just choose based on how you want your character to look like :O if I’m mistaken please correct me XD
    More Kingdom Hearts Style where every weapon is more a different style of combat..

Like with Cloud what ive seen is Buster is good as a jack of all trades, Iron is more defensive, hardedge good for stagger, nail bat trades magic for attack damage etc etc

Also those weapon skills you can learn should NOT be ignored

10+ Year Old Account
    So I'm gonna have to wait to play it since I'm a pc gamer now, but iIve no reservations of watching playthroughs.

As someone who loved and played and replayed the original ps1 final fantasy games (think I replayed ff9 the most) seeing the characters and setting in this upgrade cinematic way is impressive.
    However, I just can't get past the fact they seem to be layering on so much additional stuff. What made the original games work so well was the straight forward but well written stories and characters, that made it feel like we were on the journey with these characters. Details only came into play in the story of the original when it mattered and it gave the story some mystique, it simplified it but that made it feel more engrossing.

The remake, it just seems like it wants to pump out all relevant details and plot points fast and early, even when it doesn't make sense to do so. Example in the original, we only had hints about what mako energy was what the lifestream is, and we found out in full how the lifestream mattered when we got to cosmo canyon and Bugenhagen explained. Yet in the conversation between Barret and President Shinra, for some reason Barret knows all about the lifestream, something he didn't know the full scope of until later in the original. Or they fight against Jenova technically for the first time in the shinra headquarters where as in the original you don't fight her first time until the boat ride to costa del sol.

Just seems like the writers for this remake were impatient and wanted to hammer in heavy plot details and encounters earlier, rather then letting the story breath. Makes me little worried about the coming chapters how their going to deliver the story then. I know they wanted to make the characters in this remake more fleshed out and give it more of an air of realism, but just feels like they went overboard with how much they forced into the first chapter.

I will admit, the concept of the whispers and changing fate in the story, most want to believe this is the writers allowing the story we know of ff7 to be changed, since it already happened in the original and this is a retelling, so kind of like an alternative timeline for the story. That opens up a can of worms and begs the question of do people want the story to be changed around to the point it alters important story threads, or do that want just a genuine remake of the original?
    Last edited by Trassk; 2020-04-16 at 01:24 AM.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    do people want the story to be changed around to the point it alters important story threads, or do that want just a genuine remake of the original?
    It's a problematic question, because you can't just tell the same story word-for-word in this day and age. Storytelling techniques have changed, technical capabilities have evolved, etc. etc. FF7's story was somewhat rudimentary in many parts, which just wouldn't flow well with a AAA title in 2020. Not to mention that FF7 was the starting point of a larger story universe that has since been expanded on by many supplementary materials that harken back to the original game.

I like to see it as a positive - religious adherence to the past is, in my eyes, a counterproductive position to take.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    It's a problematic question, because you can't just tell the same story word-for-word in this day and age. Storytelling techniques have changed, technical capabilities have evolved, etc. etc. FF7's story was somewhat rudimentary in many parts, which just wouldn't flow well with a AAA title in 2020. Not to mention that FF7 was the starting point of a larger story universe that has since been expanded on by many supplementary materials that harken back to the original game.

I like to see it as a positive - religious adherence to the past is, in my eyes, a counterproductive position to take.
    I'm more of a mind that, if the original was already perfect as it was, what could a remake even do to improve on it? I'm not saying that I don't appreciate remaking a story for something like this, seen as at the time the graphics are very dated. Given that fact and the writers for this knowing they had to do something to both draw in current gamers as well as give something for the original players to surprised at, it might be a right decision, or seems like it is right now in the early chapters.

Guess it just remains to be seen if they can pull it off. Remakes have a habit of trying to add to much to the pot that can ruin the blend, think the disney live action remakes for example.

Just had to see if they take all this into account and make something that is both familiar but engagingly fresh too.
    #boycottchina

I have no problem with them changing things for this remake, there was absolutely nothing in this remake that I hated (outside of a handful of frustrating encounters) although to be fair the remake actually didn't change much. Some scenes play out a little differently, I actually appreciate the confrontation between Barret and Shinra before Sephiroth kills him, but it still ultimately hits all the same plot points of the original. I'm not sure if they are gonna go off the rails moving forward but I certainly wouldn't complain because if I want to the original story I can just go play the original. I'm excited at the prospect of them doing something completely unexpected.

Guess it just remains to be seen if they can pull it off. Remakes have a habit of trying to add to much to the pot that can ruin the blend, think the disney live action remakes for example.
    That's a rather poor comparison as the main complaint levied against the Disney remakes is that they don't change enough from the original. They never really justify their existence because they tend to just recreate the animated version despite the animated version already being a timeless classic.

Basically there is no point in a remake that only seeks to recreate the original.
    Last edited by everydaygamer; 2020-04-16 at 01:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post

That's a rather poor comparison as the main complaint levied against the Disney remakes is that they don't change enough from the original. They never really justify their existence because they tend to just recreate the animated version despite the animated version already being a timeless classic.

Basically there is no point in a remake that only seeks to recreate the original.
    well not really, since they tried for a photo realistic lion king, which wasn't needed and even worked against it since it stopped the characters having any emotion. They tried to do more but it ended up being less effective.

The point is with a remake, if the story is already good then remaking it and adding more details in doesn't really add much more it just becomes fluff. In this case however there is a possible exception in they might be trying to change fate, like as if jenova or sepiroth is aware how the story went before and trying to alter it outcome, and that creates another way of telling this story, though it remains to be seen how they can keep it faithful and still keep things fresh.
    #boycottchina

I'm more of a mind that, if the original was already perfect as it was, what could a remake even do to improve on it?
    Nothing - IF that was indeed the case, which I don't think anyone would ever seriously argue. FF7 has plenty of faults, and while that doesn't detract from its (in my opinion) entirely deserved spot as one of the high points in video game history, it doesn't in any way categorically imply a remake can't improve on the original.

Just had to see if they take all this into account and make something that is both familiar but engagingly fresh too.
    Remakes are always a risk, both because they have a notoriously poor track record and because nostalgia will color their reception to the point where even objectively justified improvements can end up being rejected by audiences simply because they're not 100% identical to the original.

People are in general somewhat resistant to change, and it's all about trying to negotiate the interstitial spaces where positive change is possible even against that resistance. No doubt there's many pitfalls, and probably more misses than hits; doesn't mean there aren't hits, or that it's not worth pursuing, though.

FFVII OG was hardly a perfect game and if that is what you call perfect your standards are quite low for such a lofty word. I wouldn't personally give the perfect tag to any game, but especially not one that looks and plays so long in the tooth that even SNES RPGs aged better.

I can name quite a few things FFVII already does better then the original outside of the obvious of visuals/sound being miles better.

-Better character build up, back stories and development.
    -Better combat with a hell of a lot more depth.
    -Better storytelling overall outside of a few minor points I would of preferred to remain ambiguous.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-04-16 at 03:08 AM.

FFVII OG was hardly a perfect game and if that is what you call perfect your standards are quite low for such a lofty word. I wouldn't personally give the perfect tag to any game, but especially not one that looks and plays so long in the tooth that even SNES RPGs aged better.

I can name quite a few things FFVII already does better then the original outside of the obvious of visuals/sound being miles better.

-Better character build up, back stories and development.
    -Better combat with a hell of a lot more depth.
    -Better storytelling overall outside of a few minor points I would of preferred to remain ambiguous.
    This is silly when anyone is saying a game is "perfect" because games evolve all the time.

If you compared FF7 to other PS1 games of its time that is the fair comparasion. And compared to most games of its time it blows them out of the water.

Does the remake blow out games today? With Cyberpunk and the Last of Us 2 around the corner Im gonna go with no.
    Last edited by Volatilis; 2020-04-16 at 03:13 AM.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    And compared to most games of its time it blows it out of the water.
    False. It is pretty much in line with all large budget PS1 games of the time in any measurable metric without relying on subjective crap that could go either way. And if you want to talk about something something blowing out of water FFIX a mere 3 years later destroyed it in visuals, both cgi and in game, sound quality and pre rendered backgrounds that looked like high budget movie sets at the time on CRTs. Nobody calls FFIX a perfect game though lmao.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-04-16 at 03:16 AM.

False. It is pretty much in line with all large budget PS1 games of the time in any measurable metric without relying on subjective crap that could go either way.
    So you're saying FF7 is no different to a game like twisted metal for example? Or arcade game ports? Or when grand theft auto was birds eye?

You're so biased towards being a negative d-bag.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

False. It is pretty much in line with all large budget PS1 games of the time in any measurable metric without relying on subjective crap that could go either way. And if you want to talk about something something blowing out of water FFIX a mere 3 years later destroyed it in visuals, both cgi and in game, sound quality and pre rendered backgrounds that looked like high budget movie sets at the time on CRTs. Nobody calls FFIX a perfect game though lmao.
    I mean, by the main measurable metric, sales, it was second to GT, which was packaged with consoles at one point so no clue how many of those sales were forced sales lol.

for ps1 GT, GT2 and FFVII basically shit on anything else (10.9, 9.4, and 9.8 million sales respectively, next one down is another 1 million drop, Tekken 3 at 8.3)

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    I mean, by the main measurable metric, sales, it was second to GT, which was packaged with consoles at one point so no clue how many of those sales were forced sales lol.

for ps1 GT, GT2 and FFVII basically shit on anything else (10.9, 9.4, and 9.8 million sales respectively, next one down is another 1 million drop, Tekken 3 at 8.3)
    Sales has nothing to do with a game being perfect. By being in line by measurable metrics I mostly meant visuals, sound etc. FFVII did not blow Tekken, MGS, Tomb Raider, Crash, Resident Evil, Dragon Quest, Spyro, Silent Hill etc away let alone the other 2 FF games on the console. I'm just not sure why the guy was acting like it was some technical marvel that nothing else on the system achieved.

Sales has nothing to do with a game being perfect. By being in line by measurable metrics I mostly meant visuals, sound etc. FFVII did not blow Tekken, MGS, Tomb Raider, Crash, Resident Evil, Dragon Quest, Spyro, Silent Hill etc away let alone the other 2 FF games on the console. I'm just not sure why the guy was acting like it was some technical marvel that nothing else on the system achieved.
    Wasn't it rather early in the ps1 lifetime so they really didn't know the full extent of what it could do?

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Wasn't it rather early in the ps1 lifetime so they really didn't know the full extent of what it could do?
    It released 2 years and 11 months after the release of the PS1. I know RE, TR and Crash where all definitely out way before FFVII was. It was pretty much a mid gen release, almost 3 years post console release and slightly less then 3 years before the PS2 release. The numbers get even worse if you factor in the 9 months it took to localize the US version or the 11 months to localize the PAL version.

Also fun fact, FFVII and VIII where in development at the same time, hence the quick turn around on releases between them. FFIX was also in development at the same time as X. Oh Square's production back then, what beasts.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-04-16 at 06:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I started it last night, goddamn it looks good. What is everyone's opinion on it?

I, personaly, don't mind them throwing more in-game lore at us so early on. What is Materia, or Ancients was done rather lacking in the original, quite a lot of people did not revisit Dr. Gasts lab to watch all the interviews/reports. Yes, Sephiroth told us about Materia as condensated mako, but the Remake did IMO a better job of explaining why Shinra is so obsessed with the Ancients, Aerith, and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.