Quote Originally Posted by Great Destiny Man View Post
    There's an option to control speech so you could mute it, but it won't just mute combat dialogue but all speech everywhere. There's no way to target combat dialogue specifically.
    Quote Originally Posted by un_known View Post
    You can indeed in the language section
    Well that's at least something, thanks!

Don't get me wrong, I think the voice actors are amazing, especially Barret's, but the permanent

SUCK ON THIS!
    SUCK ON THIS!
    I'm on it!
    SUCK ON THIS!

already got on my nerves just by watching a walkthrough on Youtube. At least it wont be as bad in Japanese, I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    That's exactly what I told a friend today, "That shit just sounds way to much Kingdom Hearty to me..."

But yeah, it's going to depend on the next titles I guess... but still, don't really like the sound of it.

Either way, I'll be waiting for the PC release & the rest of the parts.
    To be honest I am a little hesitant too, but I am also flipping in anticipation for Part 2 because I need more. I suppose I'm contradicting myself. This game has me conflicted in all the right ways.

Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    It's mostly the same though, that last part sets them up to do whatever they want going forward but I can't imagine they would want to go way too far off script. Then again you never know..

- - - Updated - - -

Think what impressed me the most was the performances from the voice actors, all over top notch. Combat was freaking excellent, going from FF15 to this was a revelation. They more or less cracked the code of "semi-turn-based" combat here so I can only hope they don't try to go for something way different for the next one. Hell, I'd be happy to see this carried over to FF16 when / if that happens. And yeah, part from some texture bugs here and there the game looks absolutely stunning..
    I never thought infusing heavier turn-based elements into an action rpg would do so much. It felt like a piece of the puzzle was found and placed back to where it belongs. I hope other game companies take note of this. The voice acting was some of the best I've ever seen in a video game.

Quote Originally Posted by Malacrass View Post
    Well that's at least something, thanks!

Don't get me wrong, I think the voice actors are amazing, especially Barret's, but the permanent

SUCK ON THIS!
    SUCK ON THIS!
    I'm on it!
    SUCK ON THIS!

already got on my nerves just by watching a walkthrough on Youtube. At least it wont be as bad in Japanese, I hope.
    Anime/JRPG "calling your attacks" is just so grating to hear in action games. I remember being so aggravated when I played Xenoblade Chronicles and they'd repeat the same thing over and over and over again. It's cool in turn based JRPGs, though.

My biggest issue with the game is the newly discovered fact that you have to repeat several chapters a few times over just to collect certain trophies if you want to plat

Quote Originally Posted by Asphyx22 View Post
    My biggest issue with the game is the newly discovered fact that you have to repeat several chapters a few times over just to collect certain trophies if you want to plat
    Not every game should be Nier and just let you buy the platinum with in game currency lmao. Joking aside, platinum's are always optional, don't do it if you don't find it fun. Nobody is going to fault you for lacking the more tedious platinum trophies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Not every game should be Nier and just let you buy the platinum with in game currency lmao. Joking aside, platinum's are always optional, don't do it if you don't find it fun. Nobody is going to fault you for lacking the more tedious platinum trophies.
    Yeah, I agree that it should not be handed to the player as attaining "Platinum" is something that holds high value. It's one of the more frustrating tasks, but it's something I am still willing to tough out. I heavily enjoy the game anyway.

So I just finished it, so here's what I think.

In certain areas, the game is a 10/10 all-star: Music, art design, characters. The combat feels mostly fantastic, with the exception of sometimes just getting juggled and getting interrupted when casting a spell really doesn't feel good, as well as some minor troubles handling the camera and lock-on. Overall, minor nitpicks. And I love the weapon and materia system. I love how you can just stick with your classic weapon if you want to and you won't be hampered; there's a weapon for a lot of different play styles.

There are two weaknesses for me that stand out immediately, one vastly bigger than the other. The smaller one is it really tries too hard to tug on your nostalgia bone. This is mostly prevalent at the end and segways into the major issues of the game. Seeing Sephiroth over and over, the fight with him, One-Winged Angel theme, etc. There are times where it's appropriate, but this game is supposed to end at the escape from Midgar; there's not supposed to be some crazy cosmic battle at the end. So I might as well talk about my major gripe: the Whispers. They feel out of place the entire game and distract too much from the story. Like, I can't explain the ending, but it's something I'm really not comfortable with. It basically throws the term "remake" out the window and replaces it with "reimagined." We're playing a sequel of sorts from the original FF7. And now Square can change the game we all know and love however they see fit. This is without even discussing the can-of-worms concerning the other AVALANCHE members' fate and Zack Fair.

Don't mistake this as a gripe about how I "don't like change." There are a lot of great changes to the game's story that weren't in the original because it doesn't detract from the ultimate plot line. The characters from Wall Market are a fantastic example of this. They expand and enrich the original story without affecting it in any major way.

With that said, I still fully recommend it. It's a blast to play and the music is top-tier. Had it not been for the controversial ending decisions, I think this is GOTY for me (Doom Eternal holds that spot for me at the moment). Solid 9/10
    Last edited by ablock87; 2020-04-17 at 05:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Anime/JRPG "calling your attacks" is just so grating to hear in action games. I remember being so aggravated when I played Xenoblade Chronicles and they'd repeat the same thing over and over and over again. It's cool in turn based JRPGs, though.
    yeah, recently starting Persona 5 Royal. It's WAY less annoying when you hear "Let's go Captain Kidd!" or "Goemon!" maybe twice in a row when you're "unlucky" and even then it's still usually 3+ other callouts (if any) inbetween.
    For more action-y games, it makes more sense to only call out the actual big ones with longer cooldowns/buildups or only the special/limit moves

I've never played crisis core, did they retcon zach into being alive?
    Last edited by soulkeeperx; 2020-04-17 at 07:30 AM.

I hope part 2 go's next gen only to get rid of all the shitty walking sim/tight corridor/walking tight rope scenes while they are loading assets in. The PS4 HDD sure is adding play time to the game but not in a good way lol. FFVIIR might even beat God of War for number of these instances and I thought that was impossible.

10+ Year Old Account
    First game I've bought day one for a while, 32 hours and complete including all the side quests seems a fair investment.

8.5/10.

I didn't enjoy the combat at times and the whispers thing was weird. But they did a good job, I think I got bored near the end because it is just so linear and the last 2 chapters are pretty weak and just feel dragged out.

So I'm getting this right, the second game will be its own thing without any progress from the first carrying over in any way?

If that's the case then I see little reason to get the Midgar version, since that part of the game was always my least favorite (too linear and confined for my taste). The meat of any OG final fantasy game was always open exploration for me, so I guess I just wait and see how they handle the over(open?)world in part 2.

Quote Originally Posted by soulkeeperx View Post
    Not retconning, multiple timeline shenanigans, he survived in one timeline which were shown to us hinted at by the packet with a different dog on it. Where they go with this is up in the air.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Malacrass View Post
    So I'm getting this right, the second game will be its own thing without any progress from the first carrying over in any way?

If that's the case then I see little reason to get the Midgar version, since that part of the game was always my least favorite (too linear and confined for my taste). The meat of any OG final fantasy game was always open exploration for me, so I guess I just wait and see how they handle the over(open?)world in part 2.
    Probably be like Mass Effect where you transfer choices since there are some that will affect who you date etc.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by soulkeeperx View Post
    main universe lore is still there. Just different timeline somewhere has zack surviving

I'd like to point out that the end does not necessarily indicate that Zack survived, while they clearly were referencing how his death happened in Crisis Core I'd like to point out that his death went differently in the original (starts at 4:06):

Honestly, I think they were just trying to pay homage to both versions while still leaving things up in the air.

5+ Year Old Account
    To be honest I am a little hesitant too, but I am also flipping in anticipation for Part 2 because I need more. I suppose I'm contradicting myself. This game has me conflicted in all the right ways.
    Yeah. It all depends on Part 2. How big will the changes be? Will the changes be good? Will iconic moments of the original still be in place?

They nailed the combat, found a pretty good voice cast, nailed the personalities of the characters and created the hands down prettiest game available. Now it all depends on wether they truly believe they can tell a better story than what the fans want them to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    Yeah. It all depends on Part 2. How big will the changes be? Will the changes be good? Will iconic moments of the original still be in place?

They nailed the combat, found a pretty good voice cast, nailed the personalities of the characters and created the hands down prettiest game available. Now it all depends on wether they truly believe they can tell a better story than what the fans want them to tell.
    I just really hope they don't make things as convoluted with arbitrary decisions/things happening like they do with the Kingdom Hearts games. That stuff does not really work here in my opinion.

5+ Year Old Account
    I just really hope they don't make things as convoluted with arbitrary decisions/things happening like they do with the Kingdom Hearts games. That stuff does not really work here in my opinion.
    They already did that with 3 different kinds of Sephiroths. Maybe 4

Honestly, I need to play through the original again to refresh my memory because I remember it having plenty of ridiculous nonsense in it (Just like every Final Fantasy game).