Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Eventually? Yes, of course. WoW players also have a tendency to ruin things by burning themselves out. This system isn't intended to be no-lifed, but a bunch of people are going to no-life it and then complain a month into the expansion that there's no content. The community also has a way of ruining things by making everything about the 'meta'. So, eventually, Torghast will become a mindless grind where everyone chooses the same powers, blasts through to whatever the highest reward floor is, then bounce.

Even still it's my most anticipated feature for Shadowlands and I'm super excited. I'm going to take the approach of grinding it hardcore initially to get all my legendaries, then I'll take it slow and make a weekly or bi-weekly event out of it with some friends. Get drunk and just head into the tower. Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I remember when Diablo 3 first came out, the WoW players that had never played Diablo, tried it and were like...what's the point?

The same thing will apply with Torghast. If you don't get the point of Diablo (endlessly killing shit for no reason), you're not going to like Torghast. Torghast fits a niche crowd.
    as in diablo 3 torghast runs get you to craft legendaries (that are ofc will be mandatory for your favorite spec to be viable)
    Shadowlands is real world
    The Maw is China
    The Jailer is China government
    Sylvanas is Blizz

If it is remotely similar to grinding for corrupted mementos in horrific visions, then yes. It'll age real fucking fast.

If it's anything like Visions, then yes for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    If it's anything like Visions, then yes for me.
    It isn't, not even remotely. About the only common parts are a key required for entry and you can make groups of 1-5 people.

Quote Originally Posted by Zexaniro View Post
    you buy powers within Torghast.

essentially a cute lil' mini game that has no place in WoW
    Ah so you advance to get essences so you can get buffs to advance. Okay, what happens when the fun runs out? Can you get any loot from it?
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Ah so you advance to get essences so you can get buffs to advance. Okay, what happens when the fun runs out? Can you get any loot from it?
    Definitely legendary materials, probably other things. Very much a work in progress though.

And the goal is to advance as far as possible. With proper tuning the enemies will scale somewhat faster than your own power, so eventually you'll reach a natural wall to your progression.
    Last edited by huth; 2020-04-20 at 07:27 PM.

Only if games like Dead Cells, Binding of Isaac, FTL, Risk of Rain, and countless other roguelites bore you quickly.

I think one of the genius things about Torghast is it really just isn't that difficult to keep content like that interesting, allowing them to add new and interesting things elsewhere. If they follow through with the discussions of removing more things from the GCD and continue working on classes this could be better than M+ by a mile.

Its a reasonable question and no one can really provide a fairly accurate answer right now because the Tower is not tuned, we haven't seen the legendaries its linked with nor the soulbinds. At the release of 8.3 I greatly hesitated getting involved with Horrific Visions cause I believed they'd get old fast (2-3 months) and I was right. So while the question is a good one it can't be effectively answered right now. But, I will say this - if the Tower fails there's a better than 50/50 chance Shadowlands as a whole will fail cause the xpac is sparse of new features.

I watched a little of it. Boring level design and boring enemies. Waste of resources as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Licketysplit77 View Post
    People raved about visions to begin with and the main complaint is that they wanted to enter them more as they were fun. I'm sat on enough currency to buy 21 vessels , in need of gems and i cannot drag myself through them now.

I hope Toghast is going to be what everyone hopes it will, it currently looks a lot of fun
    To be fair, Visions are VERY small. You have two layouts, and other than that they're basically unchanging. Masks don't really change what you're doing, only how you do it. It's the same bosses, the same areas, very low variety.

Torghast is - ostensibly - different in that it has more variety. It's not infinite, of course, and there's a degree of repetition involved in many ways. But the hope is that a combination of pseudo-procedural level design and the many possible Anima Power combinations extends the longevity of this form of content considerably.

Whether or not that will ACTUALLY be the case depends on many factors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Rifts did not hold an audience in D3. Torghast is a watered-down version of rifts with worse graphics. And you don't need a monthly sub to play D3 rifts.
    LOL rifts saved Diablo 3 ... honey wtf are you saying? :/
    ...Le Poète est semblable au prince des nuées
    Qui hante la tempête e se rit de l'archer;
    Exilé sul le sol au milieu des huées,
    Ses ailes de géant l'empêchent de marcher.

Charles Baudelaire

Recent interview said Torghast in fact is not procedurally generated, so every level will look the same every time, just with different monsters and traps. It won't be like Diablo 3. So I expect it will get tired after a bit, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Recent interview said Torghast in fact is not procedurally generated, so every level will look the same every time, just with different monsters and traps. It won't be like Diablo 3. So I expect it will get tired after a bit, yes.
    Not quite. The maps are pre-made, but what map a floor uses is random.

Which is understandable, randomly generated maps in 3D aren't easy to do and even harder to make interesting.

From what we've seen on the streams, it appears they won't always let you access every part of the map, either.

10+ Year Old Account
    I saw that the quests version of it are quite easy, but the Heroic version of it looks challenging to a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    I saw that the quests version of it are quite easy, but the Heroic version of it looks challenging to a point.
    There won't be several versions on release tho right? I thought it's an alpha thing and they are adjusting the difficulty

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    what? it is procedurally generated... you mistook what they said
    they said the maps are not 100% random, or else you would spawn in boxes with no doors and dead ends with no way out.
    what they actually said was that "it is not 100% random, we tried that and it didn work, so instead we made a ton of chunks and made them so they can be randomly put together"

no, every level does not look the same every time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    there is no actually difficulty, the "difficulty" is just placing you on a high level floor with no anima powers, its the same difficultty through, its just how deep you are with 0 anima powers.
    on live they plan no difficultiwes, but this is just for testing.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    This is why imho the re-introduction of a generic currency system similar to the old Valor Points would be great - not only for casuals but also for even the more hardcore raiders and M+ players. Gear would generally be decentralized from content, as all content would provide the same main reward (currency), allowing you to acquire it in whatever way you prefer. For instance: If you're tired of running Thorgast and still need to get some more currency, just do some Mythic or Heroic dungeons, or even some World Quests, for the same currency.
    Currency on itself is the bane of loot based games like wow. It's fine to have currency as an extra, but gear needs to drop directly off things you kill otherwise it will fail. You should just get some currency when something doesn't drop from an eligible mob.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    Currency on itself is the bane of loot based games like wow. It's fine to have currency as an extra, but gear needs to drop directly off things you kill otherwise it will fail. You should just get some currency when something doesn't drop from an eligible mob.
    The problem with currency is you lose the excitement of having loot drop. It becomes a spreadsheet where you know in x weeks you get item. People complained about that in WOLK and screamed at Blizz that they preferred RNG instead.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Wat? Nothing saved Diablo 3. It just died. Some fanboys who were desperate for positive news pushed this notion that Rifts saved D3. It didn't The game collapsed.
    D3 is alive and well, and yes adventure mode and rifts gave it a new life.