Page 1 of 18
... LastLast

Lightbulb Transmog killed raiding (atleast for me) – simple suggestion for Shadowlands

Hey!

Ok, I don't want this to be a rant post about transmogging. I do really love the concept, and I want it to stay, however...

I used to be a quite active raider in the early days of WoW. I'm almost ashamed of admitting it, but the thrill of "hunting" the perfect items was what drove me. The mere feeling of walking around in Ironforge, decked in AQ40 gear while scrubs kneeled at you was f*cking amazing. That was one of the most important things of raiding for me, cool items. Tier gear was something special. It made people go, "wow, he's a really good raider" (or maybe "he's a fucking idiot spending all that time on WoW", but still), which I really miss.

These days people can just transmog the last years fashion and look pumped. And since most gear looks cool, everyone looks the same – nerd and scrub.

So – what can be done?

My suggestion is that the current expansions raid gear gets a special look. Maybe a glowing light, some blood dripping or W/E. When ever it's not the current tier gear anymore the effects dissapear (so it does not work for transmog).

This would, atleast for me, give back the desire to hunt items again. Stats are important, but it doesn't create the same "must have" feeling that cool looks do.

Do you agree?

/vexxan
    Last edited by vexxan; 2020-04-21 at 06:37 AM.

Attitudes like this is why the US is disintegrating.

Just because you got something first doesn't mean people shouldn't be allowed to get it later. By your logic, silver and bronze medals don't need to exist because as soon as someone's gotten gold in a race everyone else might as well just kill themselves for not being first, right?

Besides, I think it's amazing to be able to see all the interesting sets in the game ACTUALLY GET USED instead of being content for three months and then removed forever. You know what that is? Literally throwing money down the drain.
    Last edited by Nefarious Tea; 2020-04-21 at 06:22 AM.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

You remember another game dude

There were days when gear was looked on in awe, but the game is far less social than in those days, the Capital cities arent necessary for communication (its all run-sellers now) and with the expanding travel options we have they are only transit stops at best.

Current Tier items could be shooting fireworks, and noone Will notice

Ironforge* my super dedicated wow player.

I think the first 2 comments basically answer any sort of question about this thread.
    Vanilla WoW basically has what you remember my dood so its there if you want it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    Attitudes like this is why the US is disintegrating.

Just because you got something first doesn't mean people shouldn't be allowed to get it later. By your logic, silver and bronze medals don't need to exist because as soon as someone's gotten gold in a race everyone else might as well just kill themselves for not being first, right?
    How outrageously hyperbolic.

What he is talking about isn't analogous to silver and bronze medals, it's analogous to handing out a trophy who couldn't be bothered competing in the race at all.

Are all 3000+ of your posts as over the top?
    The OP suggests that he finds it difficult to motivate himself to get gear when the visuals are no longer tied meaningfully to his own personal achievement and you make allegories to the "disintegration of the US" and suicide. Unreal.
    A bitter and opinionated individual.

Do mythic and your gear will always be special

Quote Originally Posted by vexxan View Post
    Hey!

Ok, I don't want this to be a rant post about transmogging. I do really love the concept, and I want it to stay, however...

I used to be a quite active raider in the early days of WoW. I'm almost ashamed of admitting it, but the thrill of "hunting" the perfect items was what drove me. The mere feeling of walking around in Ironforged, decked in AQ40 gear while scrubs kneeled at you was f*cking amazing. That was one of the most important things of raiding for me, cool items. Tier gear was something special. It made people go, "wow, he's a really good raider" (or maybe "he's a fucking idiot spending all that time on WoW", but still), which I really miss.

These days people can just transmog the last years fashion and look pumped. And since most gear looks cool, everyone looks the same – nerd and scrub.

So – what can be done?

My suggestion is that the current expansions raid gear gets a special look. Maybe a glowing light, some blood dripping or W/E. When ever it's not the current tier gear anymore the effects dissapear (so it does not work for transmog).

This would, atleast for me, give back the desire to hunt items again. Stats are important, but it doesn't create the same "must have" feeling that cool looks do.

Do you agree?

/vexxan
    Mythic raiding gear and higher pvp rating DO have a special look that distinguishes from the lfr/normal/heroic "scrubs".
    So yeah .. do mythic raiding and keep that look

Well you could make it timegated like PVP Elite Sets^^
    And everybody loooooooves those

Joking aside: I am thankfull,t hat i am able to equip every set. And people who are high in the current patch are still visible. (8.3 not so much to be fair)

There is a difference to the mythic sets that sticks out already.

Hey!

I used to be a quite active raider in the early days of WoW. I'm almost ashamed of admitting it, but the thrill of "hunting" the perfect items was what drove me. The mere feeling of walking around in Ironforge, decked in AQ40 gear while scrubs kneeled at you was f*cking amazing. That was one of the most important things of raiding for me, cool items. Tier gear was something special. It made people go, "wow, he's a really good raider" (or maybe "he's a fucking idiot spending all that time on WoW", but still), which I really miss.

So – what can be done?

Do you agree?

/vexxan
    I dont know if you knew this...it may come as a shock even...but...people who dont do current mythic raids...cant transmog in to the current mythic set,so people looking at you will still know you got a big E peen,i dunno man,i think its more a you prob that you stoped raiding,maybe mythic raids these days are just a little to hard compared to the good old aq days,but hey,maybe im just wrong

also aq gear looked REALLY bad
    Last edited by deenman; 2020-04-21 at 06:43 AM.

You have a very unpopular minority opinion. This is the exact argument people used to slam transmog when it was first implemented nearly a decade ago and it's just as irrelevant today as it was back then. Get over it, dude.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Hey!

So – what can be done?

Do you agree?

/vexxan
    You could grow the fuck up?

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Thanks for lots of great replies!

I totally accept all of your opinions – but for me mythic gear is nothing but a recolor, not very exciting. It's not gear that makes you go "oh I need to push myself and spend several hours/week to get that special item". It's more like (again, for me); another color palette and more stats – ok, nice.

/vexxan

transmog is the only thing that kept me raiding in the past 8 years. So.. no.

Seems like another attempt to pass of the attitude of being a bedgrudging cunt as being something good for the game; it isn't.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

15+ Year Old Account
    The modern version of what you're looking for is getting the Mythic CE before everyone else on the server or whatever, pushing arena rating for no other reason than E-peen and pushing your IO up for no other reason than E-peen every season.

One thing I wish they'd bring back is limited attempts on bosses. Doing 600 attempts on a boss then finally killing it isn't impressive to me and using glitch spots in M+ isn't impressive. It reminds me of those kids who had Gamesharks, already beat the game, wanted to beat it again with gameshark and then sit inside the game and beat it with every possible cheat code just to see what it's like. That isn't impressive, mildy entertaining maybe, but I don't go WOW, omg!, they used a glitch spot, haha why didn't I think of that! Not everyone wants to experiment for hours lol.

Thanks for lots of great replies!

I totally accept all of your opinions – but for me mythic gear is nothing but a recolor, not very exciting. It's not gear that makes you go "oh I need to push myself and spend several hours/week to get that special item". It's more like (again, for me); another color palette and more stats – ok, nice.

/vexxan
    https://www.wowhead.com/guides/battl...weapons-models

Here are all the armor tints from just 1 raid tier. Mythic sets have added layers and effects, so you are objectively wrong that they are just recolors. They aren't.

Well, if showing off is really all that gives you joy in this game, then I'm afraid this game it not for you (any more). The point of this game is to have fun doing what you do and when the thing that is fun for you is no longer in the game, it's time to move on. It's not coming back. It shouldn't come back. Doing something just to show off is a very unhealthy way to live your life.

And I raided in the old days just to get imba gear so I could kill enemies of the Horde better. Just silly memories from a time when this game meant something different to us. Show me a an armor set from Wrath and up, and I will probably fail to place it, especially for leather and cloth. If today you wore something that I didn't recognize, I would just assume it was something I didn't know about, not that you were some super-dedicated pro-raider, and even if I did, I would probably just ignore you, because I don't care about such things anymore.
    Mother pus bucket!

Hey!

So – what can be done?

Do you agree?

/vexxan
    Look at the previous expansions gear starting from wod - bfa. Normal and heroic gear look similar with different colour variation but mythic has a completely new look. And your last part were special effects are only for a limited time? That is quite a stupid idea. Gear is special than becomes heroic looking? Ya no thanks.

If you really need to feel superior to others for whatever reason, then maybe try to get into bodybuilding, get juiced up, and go to the beach?

No one ever cared about your AQ gear. It was just an illusion of superiority, nothing more. Put your effort into something more tangible if you really need that attention, because your parents didn't give you enough of it as a child

@vexxan

Glad to see another brother with the same opinion.
    Let me just tell you, your post is not gonna be famous around this parts.
    I havent even read a single post on this thread and i already know this.

Yes, my old thrill came from having a complete raid tier set in a world without transmog.
    yada yada yada (ive had this same conversation so many times)
    This new world of warcraft lost this part of the game...

In my opinion the solution is to make the MoP Challenge Mode transmogs with special effects...drop from raiding

Have a nice day