Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation AOE Spell limit? What are your thoughts?

I personally think it's called AREA of Effect for a reason. I dont want my rain of fire hitting 5 people when its supposed to hit everything makes no sense.

Remove the limit of area of effect.

Quote Originally Posted by tearsofflame View Post
    I personally think it's called AREA of Effect for a reason. I dont want my rain of fire hitting 5 people when its supposed to hit everything makes no sense.

yeah, except rain of fire doesnt have limit...

Not sure yet.
    Still trying to figure out the reason behind this change.

I see they are, unfortunately, trying to somehow emulate wow classic in some ways, and I have to say that this worries me.

Not all abilities are getting a limit, only abilities that are meant to "cleave". What that will probably mean is that AOE abilities like RoF will be weaker on small pulls. They are probably very likely to adjust pack size moving forward.

I'm for it, Area based and dot based have no limits while the burst aoe has a limit. Seems reasonable.

not sure if rain of fire has diminishing returns,but anyways,if im not mistaken the aoe limit doesnt mean you wont do ANY dmg passed 5 or 8 for some classes,it just gets shared after that number,its not really THAT bad,when are you ever taking more than 8 targets?in easy content you skip them and in hard content unless you are the tippy top of the crop you wont handle more than 8 anyways

7+ Year Old Account

Until legion these abilities were all target capped, legion is when it changed. There will still be able. But abilities that were once powerful Cleve are returning to such.

There is a difference between aoe that hits unlimited targets for 10k each. And Cleve that hits 8 targets for 20k each.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

Its telling me they plan on having the zones be mob heavy and want to slow us down even more
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    Its telling me they plan on having the zones be mob heavy and want to slow us down even more
    or maybe its a return to the good ol days people keep mentioning when ''gaim waz gud''?like in aq when many aoe abilities had caps and trash was huge and respawned,they rly need to bring back respawning trash! the game had its biggest growth when this existed!!! cant you seee.its ALL conected!!! aoe cap will save wow! bring back 12 mil subs ezy!!

(yes its sarcasm)

It shouldn't be an issue so long as they don't have bosses that spawn a utter swarm of enemies like hivemind.

It actually allows the encounter design people to mitigate damage spikes so they can make pack spawns and setups matter more, this could also be very useful for CC requirements in encounters as it will force people to potentially deal with bigger multiple minion threats in much different ways.

Low level it allows them to keep damage lower in AOE situations for the most part.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

10+ Year Old Account
    It's just another way of slowing the game down arbitrarily. Nobody wants to play slow paced dungeon/raids anymore. It's either that or they realize the game's engine can't handle processing so many spell effects and number crunching for raid wide AoE. Either way, it feels like another QoL nerf. Maybe I'm wrong and it will be good for the long-term "health" of the game but I'm far too jaded and cynical about Blizzard these days to believe otherwise.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

I think for most average players doing current-level content in the intended way, it probably won't actually have much of an effect. I'm personally pretty indifferent on this but I can see why some people would dislike it, and I can also see why some people would like it.

It sucks being "nerfed" obviously, but you can sorta make the opposite case of giving certain specs a niché of AoE or whatever.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think it's good, but they forgot to include Eye Beam... Nerf that shhit

It's dumb because now you have classes that will be clear and away better for some boss fights. I'm so sick of niche performance. I just want every class to be capable of churning out the same total DPS numbers on every boss fight when played to the same level of competency. Is that really so much to ask?

Decisions like this just end up with lolret all over again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shade3891 View Post
    I think it's good, but they forgot to include Eye Beam... Nerf that shhit
    The day they nerf Eye Beam is the day DH die. It wont happen, in the same way they wont ever nerf Blood DK self healing.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would much rather a taper off effect. It would accomplish the same goal, which is to remove just mass pulling and AoEing down dungeons super fast, but still allow tanks to keep threat on everything and people to farm low level content/raids relatively quickly.

ex:
    Swipe - Hit enemies around you for 1k damage. First 5 take 100% damage, next 3 take 50%, remaning take 30%.

With caps on AoE a lot of older raids are going to be a nightmare. Most extreme example is Lei Shen and those adds. Yikes.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    or maybe its a return to the good ol days people keep mentioning when ''gaim waz gud''?like in aq when many aoe abilities had caps and trash was huge and respawned,they rly need to bring back respawning trash! the game had its biggest growth when this existed!!! cant you seee.its ALL conected!!! aoe cap will save wow! bring back 12 mil subs ezy!!

(yes its sarcasm)
    Sigh. Because all the existing AoE is doing a wonderful job increasing subs, right? Or do you think negative growth is actually a good thing?

The reality is that there are much better games out there if you want to do mindless grinding and have big numbers pop up on your screen so you pat yourself on the back for how elite you are.

WoW was at its peak when everything wasn't trivial. When you had to make some decisions such as cc, kill order, threat, etc, etc, etc. WoW Retail is hovering somewhere between 1 million and 1.5 million subs anymore...or about 1/10th of its peak. People can try to claim how Retail is so awesome, but the reality of the numbers puts that lie to bed quite firmly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullmetal89 View Post
    The day they nerf Eye Beam is the day DH die. It wont happen, in the same way they wont ever nerf Blood DK self healing.
    Except they have repeatedly, often, and over and over again nerfed Blood DK self healing?

Hell, Bonestorm, a large contributor to M+ for Blood DKs, is being capped at 8 targets. Currently, while the healing caps at 5 targets, the damage is unlimited.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

I'm fine with the change, specifically for M+ runs. The gather as much as you can and AoE them down strat is dumb imo.