Why didn't Oculeth just take us to Azeroth-five-minutes-ago?

Time travel up until Warlords of Draenor has always been that potential timelines were not the "True" timeline. Why is this one being treated differently? It's dumb.

In the Mag'har recruitment quests, Oculeth sends us to Alt-Draenor. But. If the warriors they allied with from other timelines were just as real and persistent and non-echoey as the Mag'Har, why wouldn't they just go to Azeroth five minutes into the past, and recruit the entire Horde all over again? Just gather a consistent stream of fighters who we are already allied with, rather than worry about the effort involved in recruiting one new race.

As in nearly every instance where time travel is used in fiction, it's best not too think about it too much because it's a silver bullet to virtually ANY problem (unless you weigh it down with a truckload of McGuffins).

10+ Year Old Account
    Oculeth opened a portal to an existing timeline that we had already established a connection with. Pretty sure he does not have the magic required to create an alternate timeline of his own to travel to.
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Izalla View Post
    Oculeth opened a portal to an existing timeline that we had already established a connection with. Pretty sure he does not have the magic required to create an alternate timeline of his own to travel to.
    ^This right here.

Warlords of Draenor timeline isn't necessarily your typical alternate universe. It's a "pocket alternate universe" created by Kairoz that's LINKED to our Azeroth. Not to mention, we did get an object from the bronze dragonflight which we gave to Occuleth, this allowed him to teleport us to Draenor. Eitrigg also got one, and he used this to teleport back to Azeroth, so unless Occuleth has a stash of bronze dragonflight items, he most likely cannot use magic to teleport us into the past or future.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Time travel up until Warlords of Draenor has always been that potential timelines were not the "True" timeline. Why is this one being treated differently? It's dumb.

In the Mag'har recruitment quests, Oculeth sends us to Alt-Draenor. But. If the warriors they allied with from other timelines were just as real and persistent and non-echoey as the Mag'Har, why wouldn't they just go to Azeroth five minutes into the past, and recruit the entire Horde all over again? Just gather a consistent stream of fighters who we are already allied with, rather than worry about the effort involved in recruiting one new race.
    cause its not just "a copy" its an alternate timeline, what horde would go "yesah fuck out planet we will come wiht you"
    the maghar didn only cause if they didnt they all would have died.
    if the factions abandoned their azeroth they would be well abandoning it.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Because he can’t. WoD timeline was linked to Azeroth throught an artifact called Vision of Time. The two pieces of the VoT allow the connection between the worlds. Mag’har recruitment questline was about reempowering Azeroth’s piece of the VoT to allow Occuleth to open a passage to Draenor. Also, this time we weren’t timetravelling, as the link was established to current-day Draenor (30+ years after WoD) instead.
    Whatever...

10+ Year Old Account
    This topic reminds me that the entire premise of WOD was ridiculous. I still pray they somehow retcon or clarify it.

I preferred the elegance of Warcraft's approach to time travel pre WOD, that alternate timelines were but shadows of what might have been, without substance or reality. Completely jettisoned with WOD of course because for WOD to make sense, it has to be real, and if it is real then why not all other timelines?

As for why Oculeth didn't do it, the real reason of course is the reason time travel shouldn't be touched with a forty foot barge poll, if it's good for instance A, why not for instance B? And then they have to heavily caveat why this instance is unique. That said the explanations offered in this thread make sense, but it still rankles they went down that path without a clear lore directive merely because they thought a pre destruction Draenor was a cool idea.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    This topic reminds me that the entire premise of WOD was ridiculous. I still pray they somehow retcon or clarify it.
    We get WoD Draka in Shadowlands apparently
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    We get WoD Draka in Shadowlands apparently
    Isn't the WOD version alive though? She was said to be alive during the Mag'har recruitment scenario.

I think that's the normal timeline Draka we will be meeting in Maldraxxus.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    Isn't the WOD version alive though? She was said to be alive during the Mag'har recruitment scenario.

I think that's the normal timeline Draka we will be meeting in Maldraxxus.
    I hope we end up meeting the normal Draka
    Meeting the AU version of her would only serve to fuck up more things

Man, I hate time travelling stuff
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Occuleth needed help of the bronze dragonflight to actually do that it, not to mention it only worked because of the vision of time shards, though in theory another artifact like it could be created.
    Last edited by Combatbutler; 2020-04-22 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    I hope we end up meeting the normal Draka
    Meeting the AU version of her would only serve to fuck up more things

Man, I hate time travelling stuff
    WoD Draka is still alive unless she died during the timeskip we got with the Mag'har recruitement. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by FuujCraft View Post
    WoD Draka is still alive unless she died during the timeskip we got with the Mag'har recruitement. I guess we will have to wait and see.
    She's alive in the recruitment scenario.

Why didn't Oculeth just teleport a bomb into Stormwind's throne room? Why didn't Chromie just time-travel Sylvanas into a baby?

Because video game.

Ah, another youngling seeking logic in Warcraft lore.

He will learn.

They will all...learn.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    if the factions abandoned their azeroth they would be well abandoning it.
    Okay then let's do that

Literally just say "Okay, cool, Horde from Azeroth A and Alliance from Azeroth B trade Azeroths, please."

World peace, boom.