Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmightyGerkin View Post
    This change to races intro's is barely a concern to people as they could care less about something they hear for a few seconds.
    Im sure its of no concern to the zoomer babies that just bigdick dps pewpew and all that other malarky, but some of us do care about the story and world building.

Blizzard talk about choice yet they don't give two fucks about it. They don't want us to have any choice, the story is what they write and we get to just be a part of it nothing more, no choice what-so-ever.

5+ Year Old Account
    I don't think we need to keep arguing about the usage of the term whitewashing. It has two meanings, the OP used one and the other is a forbidden topic. Let's refrain from continuing that tangent.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by death87 View Post
    Race intro strings from https://www.wowhead.com/news=312240/...le-and-strings

Forsaken: "As one of the undead Forsaken, you have been reanimated by dark magic. Though shunned by the living, you tirelessly strive to protect them."

Belves: Your people, the blood elves, have persevered through tragedy and betrayal. You toil to ensure Azeroth never endures such suffering again.

Darkspear: Renouncing the savagery of the other tribes, you and your fellow Darkspear trolls protect Azeroth with cunning ferocity.

Horde faction text in character creator?: You are a soldier of the mighty Horde, a diverse band of races from across Azeroth who fight for freedom and honor.

Orcs: Though the orcs came to Azeroth as conquerors, your kind has shed the bloodthirsty ways of old and now stand in defense of your new home.

Is Blizz really trying to have players forget what happened throughout the past expansions? Especially when the very core of the Forsaken is making new Forsaken out of the living?
    Lord Almighty.

I could somehow convince myself for any of them EXCEPT, the forsaken?!? Holy God above what a butchering.

He murder
    He plague
    But most importantly
    He protect
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

7+ Year Old Account
    I mean, speaking for myself, i have not much problem in they saying good things about races, and the generics, but Jesus, how they wrote is very bad

They are putting some shit that the races are now eager to protect the whole world, and protect all the living and that is not just very cringe but very wrong/nonsensical.

The orc ones at least make a little bit of sense, but still feels bad, the old ones, maybe with the exception of goblins are way better and cooler.
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2020-04-23 at 04:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    I don't think we need to keep arguing about the usage of the term whitewashing. It has two meanings, the OP used one and the other is a forbidden topic. Let's refrain from continuing that tangent.
    You should edit that post rozz cuz ppl won't see your mod post until it's too late. Just a $0.02
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    Lord Almighty.

I could somehow convince myself for any of them EXCEPT, the forsaken?!? Holy God above what a butchering.

He murder
    He plague
    But most importantly
    He protect
    By killing you, I protect you from any future hardship.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

7+ Year Old Account

They are trying to change some things to not become much stupid, i think they realize a bit too late they trapped themselves in a corner, and isn't working
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2020-04-23 at 04:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Obviously used the wrong phrase. But these intros are essentially trying to make us forget or even go as far as retcon everything these races have done and been through in the past
    I think shouting "TheY aRe RetConnIng ThE PaST anD MakE Us ForGeT!!1one" is a vast overreaction. Since vanilla these race intros have always been nothing but a brief bit of narration that has to summarize the entire history of the race you chose in a 10-20 second cutscene. It's the equivalent of the lore blurbs you'd find on the back of the expansion box. What do you guys expect them to do, drop an entire nobbel lore video on every single past event of the Orcs, down to the second? I really don't understand how you think because not every detail is included in this introduction that it must mean all the unmentioned lore is retconned or forgotten.

It's a story hook - the very first thing a new player sees. Warcraft is a massive, 26 year old universe with a lot of story, it can get overwhelming and intimidating to dive into the lore, especially for new players, so it's a much smarter choice to streamline the important parts of each race's story. If they got verbose and dumped everything on them, it would end up like the WH40k universe.

Also, I hope I don't need to mention the age old rule-of-thumb that comes with datamining, especially when it's datamined dialogue or text. It's not the finished product. Scripts are especially full of PH text and unfinished dialogue in alpha/beta. It's likely not finished, and likely to be revised. Crying conspiracy over something like this is ridiculous.

TL;DR You're implying they are retconning or hiding details about the factions with these intros. They aren't retconning anything here, just paraphrasing for the sake of new players. Warcraft is a massive 26yo universe. These intros need to be streamlined to hook people in at the beginning of the game. Also it's datamined alpha script, which is constantly under revision.
    Last edited by Mellrod; 2020-04-23 at 04:53 AM.
    ( -> | |=====-~
    / ) \ | |
    - " "-| |
    ( -> | |====~
    / ) \ | |
    -" "-| |

Meh... I never liked the Horde a lot, but I saw much more charm in it when they were the "bad guys"... Well, more of survival at all cost guys that aren't afraid to commit a warcrime here and there for the good of their people. Kinda like USA.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardenaso View Post
    Give me Warcraft 4 or give me death

See you on the Maw then
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    The Blood Elf and Darkspear ones are correct though.
    The Darkspear, sure.

The Blood Elf ? Not really. They don't seem fazed at all to have taken part in the genocide of another elven race.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinerd View Post
    Im sure its of no concern to the zoomer babies that just bigdick dps pewpew and all that other malarky, but some of us do care about the story and world building.

Blizzard talk about choice yet they don't give two fucks about it. They don't want us to have any choice, the story is what they write and we get to just be a part of it nothing more, no choice what-so-ever.
    First you lost a lot credibility when used the term "zoomer" like that has any relevance to the topic at hand. And for choice it doesn't pertain to the lore and the direction they go about the game but targets the characters choice like talents, gear and leveling up. Equivalent of trying to tell the author how to write their book which is just also the equivalent of screaming into the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Humans: Your people have a history of throwing outsiders in concentration camps and making them fight each other for sport. Your leaders have attempted genocide, and repeatedly ignored warnings about impending disaster.

OH WAIT it doesn't actually say that, does it.
    You conveniently forget that those outsiders tried to exterminate them and that they had no reasons to spare them. Or that the attemtped genocide was done a)by Arthas, a human corrupted by an orc's spirit and b) by Daelin, who chased after Thrall who had violently assaulted Alliance ports and garrisons and stole ships to disappear, displaying the usual orcish brutality in Daelin's eyes.

7+ Year Old Account
    Darkspear didn't let out their savagery , they just chose to not kill everything who isn't a troll, cause it was not the trolls who help then

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Manariel View Post
    You conveniently forget that those outsiders tried to exterminate them and that they had no reasons to spare them. Or that the attemtped genocide was done a)by Arthas, a human corrupted by an orc's spirit and b) by Daelin, who chased after Thrall who had violently assaulted Alliance ports and garrisons and stole ships to disappear, displaying the usual orcish brutality in Daelin's eyes.
    The humans are the outsiders who exterminate races first tough, like trolls and gnolls, and mods already said to drop this subject.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmightyGerkin View Post
    First you lost a lot credibility when used the term "zoomer" like that has any relevance to the topic at hand. And for choice it doesn't pertain to the lore and the direction they go about the game but targets the characters choice like talents, gear and leveling up. Equivalent of trying to tell the author how to write their book which is just also the equivalent of screaming into the wind.
    Felt like the appropriate term for you after the reply you gave me, now I can add pretentious to it as well.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2020-04-23 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Received Infraction

When your forsaken helped a cow murdering other forsaken to save a human horde enemy, you should have known that blizzard was allready completely retarded.
    Well they were retarded since vanilla, but forsaken were still a bit spared. Now, they just correct it. And go full retard.
    Every race should be human of the light lawfull good who shit rainbow. Else it's to complicated for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well this isn't whitewashing but I see what you are trying to say. Those intros are strange as hell except for the darkspear one maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post

I mean...yeah that's also a good reason. There's A LOT of reasons why the quel'dorei should tell the Alliance to fuck off but as I said....Lor'themar won't let them go home.
    Sindorei serves the Horde.

An Quel'dorei should shun them forever because of it. But then again, Blood Elves are utter hypocrites. They held the humans in contempt because of Garithos, ione warlord during a zombie apocalypse, but are fine to ally with the Orcs who burned down a part of their kingdom, killed many of their brethren and allied with the Amani.

That's why High Elves are Alliance. They value their values and principles, when the Blood Elves do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Manariel View Post
    Oh, so being corrupted by an evil spirit counts as an excuse, but being twisted by a demon overlord and egged on by a megalomaniac warlock don't. Gotcha, nothing one-sided about that AT ALL.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post

They are trying to change some things to not become much stupid, i think they realize a bit too late they trapped themselves in a corner, and isn't working
    Wait a minute... how do they explain the destruction of Teldrassil and Undercity in this scenario !?