Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Red face What draws you to playing Monk?

To me, the concept of a Monk is really something I strive for IRL. Their concept of reduing ego and instead working on their self confidence is a concept that was really eye opening to me. I try to surround myself with positive influences, like nice people and people with similar values as me, just because it makes it easier to do/think in a similar way. As a gamer for huge chunk of my life I think it's very common for us to have a big ego, like "I'm too good for this" or "Everyone else are dumb". I know it's "just a game" but it's a good reminder on what values I have.

I am really curious if the class Monk is more popular in the East of the world, where the concept of a Monk is more appreciated. I think the West has a stigma against it both because the foreign concept and the fact they think it's a "silly Panda thing".

I also like how mobile Monks are in PvP.

I also love the way we hold the 2h Legion Brewmaster weapon over our shoulder. Looks unbelieveably cool. Although I rarely like to play Tank specs.

Only drawback to me is the fact that Blizzard tries so hard to make the class unique that it's unnessesarily complex. Like why is WW mastery requireing you to never hit the same button twice, and why does Mistweaver currenlty have this wierd Fistweaver meta. It's clearly meant to be a more advanced class yet WW performs much worse than the 3 button rotation DH in every aspect of the game.

As a brewmaster, class fantasy. The combination of wandering around championing the little guys, while also making and sharing beer? What's not to love?

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

This.

Tranquil as a forest, but a fire lies within.

Be as swift as a coursing river, with all the force of a great typhoon. all the Strength of a raging fire...

5+ Year Old Account
    Fun Playstyle!!!

Fun abilities! Flying Serpent Kick, Roll, Transcendence, Ring of Peace!!!
    Fun being a kung-fu panda!

Did I mention for Fun? :-)

Wielding one handed weapons on my back and not on my hip.
    Tbh it should be a transmogrify option to begin with.

I really enjoy mistweaver healing and windwalker.

5+ Year Old Account
    The play styles are different and mostly unique.

The mobility and flexibility of the class is great.

Plus the monk only flavor ability are fun.

I haven’t played since legion but I did play monk for most of legion, and what made me play it was just the play style. Healing monk in arenas felt almost like playing an old resto druid. Mobility that was second to none, quick reliable cc, and consistent heals.

The fantasy of MoP Monks
    The gameplay such as Mobility
    The visuals. That's why I never make a monk of any other race than Pandaren.

Quote Originally Posted by MiiiMiii View Post
    To me, the concept of a Monk is really something I strive for IRL. Their concept of reduing ego and instead working on their self confidence is a concept that was really eye opening to me. I try to surround myself with positive influences, like nice people and people with similar values as me, just because it makes it easier to do/think in a similar way. As a gamer for huge chunk of my life I think it's very common for us to have a big ego, like "I'm too good for this" or "Everyone else are dumb". I know it's "just a game" but it's a good reminder on what values I have.

I am really curious if the class Monk is more popular in the East of the world, where the concept of a Monk is more appreciated. I think the West has a stigma against it both because the foreign concept and the fact they think it's a "silly Panda thing".

I also like how mobile Monks are in PvP.

I also love the way we hold the 2h Legion Brewmaster weapon over our shoulder. Looks unbelieveably cool. Although I rarely like to play Tank specs.

Only drawback to me is the fact that Blizzard tries so hard to make the class unique that it's unnessesarily complex. Like why is WW mastery requireing you to never hit the same button twice, and why does Mistweaver currenlty have this wierd Fistweaver meta. It's clearly meant to be a more advanced class yet WW performs much worse than the 3 button rotation DH in every aspect of the game.
    Regarding your first paragraph... yup that's one of the main reasons why I am maining a monk. I am actually not much interested in asian culture as I am not really a huge fan of their food or anime, style or <insert stereotypical asian stuff here>... except that I like karate. But yeah I really like their whole class fantasy based on what you said and not so much because of the asian theme.

Gameplay-wise I'd say that WW monk is just the most fun spec out there. They're very 'dynamic' to play and the alternating attacks mechanic also works very well. I also really love the fact that doing st and aoe dmg is both easy and it can be easily mixed together, unlike with other classes where you can do either one or another depending on your talents.

The only thing I dislike about WW is their lack of cooldown's and poor choice of talents.

BrM monks are ofc also amazing, the one thing I dislike though is ironskin brew as it is a very boring and annoying thing to keep up and they just feel like they're missing 1 extra attack I dunno. The stagger mechanic and their toolkit and kiting potential is amazing tho.

I don't play MW atm and I am not that interested in them right now. The only healer I like right now is druid. The last time I played MW was back in WoD (I thought the idea behind fistweaving was amazing, basically a melee dps healer hybrid)...
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2020-04-26 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I agree with this post a lot. Plus I like the fact that monk seems to be one of the rarest classes played. My only gripe with monk (mostly ww) is that sometimes it feels a little 'bland' as far as spell effects and whatnot. We don't have a big sword to swing around showcasing cool animations or anything of the like, but maybe our baseline lightning tiger can fix that for us?

That tiger alone has given me pause to consider maining a monk for SL since I've always loved MW as well
    IMO they should bring back Jab as a WW spell, which actually uses a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by monkfailz View Post
    Fun Playstyle!!!

Fun abilities! Flying Serpent Kick, Roll, Transcendence, Ring of Peace!!!
    Fun being a kung-fu panda!
    this is not fun.this are childish.and they are cowards,always running far from fight...

I still prefer a gladiator, or fighter class, combat-savvy and never running away from the fight.

I would bring gladiator with spec with our weapons pure combat, sword and shield dps, and the last for the trident spec ... this would be absolutely incredible.and not a class that run away from combat when things get ugly, xd how ridiculous ....

pd how to raise the rank to king capultro?)P Maybe some will hate me but, I only write the truth, pure and simple. This game is too childish ....
    Last edited by Capultro; 2020-05-01 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Capultro View Post
    this is not fun.this are childish.and they are cowards,always running far from fight...

I still prefer a gladiator, or fighter class, combat-savvy and never running away from the fight.

I would bring gladiator with spec with our weapons pure combat, sword and shield dps, and the last for the trident spec ... this would be absolutely incredible.and not a class that run away from combat when things get ugly, xd how ridiculous ....
    Sounds like someone who lost to a monk recently and even bringing up the class he lost on.

Great mobility and soloing capability. Just breezes through world quests and the like with the great AoE. I can tank for dungeons, even heal sometimes. Pretty swell.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

^sounds like some real children got kited by a monk and is now sour

OT: interestingly I'm in several ways opposite to the OP: In a fantasy setting of people swinging swords size of an adult and hurling green fireballs, I personally thought the monk class fantasy of fighting with bare hands pretty weak (totally understand someone probably found that badass for the exact same reason), hence I stayed away from the class for the longest time. But the gameplay (WW specifically), from a casual alt perspective, is a lot of fun to me. I LOVE the forcing mechanism of altering attacks which makes the combat engaging to me, and the mobility feels extremely nice (after maining a Warlock...). I also enjoy the fact they made 3 leather classes excel in mobility but in different ways: Druid flight form offers unparalleled convenience, DH double-jump + glide combo allows them to traverse complex terrain before flight, while Monk is arguably the best in a flat / instanced environment.

Quote Originally Posted by MiiiMiii View Post
    Regarding your last paragraph in the OP I think this actually is my favorite part of WW monk! (Not the being behind DH, the mastery!) I think it's so fun and is just a little something extra to always keep me thinkin and on my toes. I get why it could be annoying though.

I like a lot of classes, mostly healer specs. I first mained priest for long time, then paladin, and currently a monk.

Reasons:
    - I loved playing casters in past expansions, now I switched to melee. In recent expansions it's very tedious to play caster. In solo play the mobs have many abilities that interrupt casting, or require you to move. In raids the number of mechanics increased as well. Especially healer spec's damage abilities hit like wet noodle and now it's even less dps when your casts are broken. Monks can do that well, being melee and having very good mobility
    - I'd love to play only healer 100% of the time, and I was able to do this for long time. However, currently there is so much content balanced for solo play or dps spec that I have to use the dps spec more and more. Healers just don't have the dps or cc required to be effective, and I think the dps gap between healer spec and dps spec got larger in time
    - I like classes that have healer, dps, and tank specs - this gives you much flexibility, i.e. when you solo old raid and it's required to have a tank spec for specific boss. The focus for me is still of course to have both a good healer spec and dps spec that I like playing. The monk is the only class where I like both the healer spec and dps spec

I love MW because:
    - it's melee
    - it's mobile
    - it's reactive healing, and it has very high throughput when needed for some "oh shit" moments
    - it's very fun to play in raids and pvp
    - I especially love healing with mists, RJW, fistweaving with "Way of the Crane" (but I think there should be more fistweaving), Rebirth
    - with this toolset I can heal alot of people efficiently within my melee range and still be able to spot heal someone far away with mists. I'm sad that in Shadowlands RJW and "Way of the Crane" will be on the same talent row and you won't be able to have them both
    - the only thing I don't like is that passive defense is very low, especially for a healer that plays in melee range. On some fights it's risky to stay in melee range, and I feel like kamikaze healer. There are good defensive cooldown options, so it's safe for a while to be in melee range but not constantly. This is not dependable. Healers should have dependable abilities

I love WW because:
    - it's melee
    - it's very mobile - soloing is very fast
    - it has easy to use and efficient single target and aoe rotations
    - it has interesting mastery
    - I especially love "Storm, Earth, and Fire" and "Fists of Fury"
    - I don't like fist weapons animations - you have bladed equipped on your fists but you do not "punch" with them but use palm instead - really weird :P
    Last edited by oderon; 2020-05-01 at 09:58 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I like playing it for most of the reasons people mentioned:
    -Gameplay. Fast, fun and unique.
    -Lore and class fantasy.
    -Visuals. Unique style and animation.

Being a brewmaster with a keg staff is a cool concept. Using your fists as a weapon too and Mist Weaving is quite different than other types of healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Sounds like someone who lost to a monk recently and even bringing up the class he lost on.
    not necessarily but please don't go overboard. we've all fought a monk. and all monks do the same thing run away.

monk is a ridiculous class, hitting and running away if the thing gets ugly seriously ... it's ridiculous, a real monk would never run away from a fight, monks shouldn't have super speed. that was the glitch. and funny thing it is, how ridiculously and pathetically they die when someone spoils their speed, slows, roots .... that's why playing against them with warrior is delicious, because when the warrior kills them, that is priceless, it's like catching an insect .I keep thinking that the monk class is poorly designed.
    Last edited by Capultro; 2020-05-02 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Capultro View Post

pd how to raise the rank to king capultro?)P Maybe some will hate me but, I only write the truth, pure and simple. This game is too childish ....
    you sound like as if you just commited suicide against a monk who karma'd you.

XP Buff. But have never played one at max level.