Thread: Le Jailer

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    3+ Year Old Account

Le Jailer

So, this is in fact the Jailer.

A lot of us were hoping this wasn't the Jailer and the silhouette we saw in the trailer was a WIP. Sure, it was a silhouette, but the two look pretty different even taking that into account. To me it seems pretty cringey when the official trailer of the expansion contains an incomplete depiction of a character, especially the primary antagonist. I mean, what if others looked different in game as compared to their appearance in their respective expansion's trailer? Illidan in BC, Arthas in Wrath, Deathwing in Cata, all of those characters looked the same in the trailer which is what convinces us of the trailer's importance. The trailer to a work of art is often created after most of the art is finished, that way they are depicting an accurate representation of the art they are advertising. That makes sense, doesn't it? Feel free to share your stance on this issue, but it is ultimately not the purpose of this thread.

The following is heavy speculation. You've been warned!

I don't know about anybody else, but to me the Jailer looks like the offspring of an Orc and Nathrezim. And the Jailer has got to be god-tier powerful, essentially being the Satan of the WoW universe. Is his appearance the form he takes out of choice or is it a natural form he never chose? Given we know they're in league with one another, is it possible that Sire Denathrius was created or transformed by the Jailer to give his Dreadlord-like appearance? It's an interesting concept, considering that Revendreth and the Maw both serve a similar purpose: Containing the souls of evil-doers. Only one is intended to rehabilitate the soul whereas the other is eternal damnation. Furthermore, are the Nathrezim like, living beings that have been corrupted by Denathrius? Or maybe they've always been like that and they were created for the very purpose of the Venthyr having a representation in the material universe. And if the Nathrezim are in fact related to the Denathrius and the Venthyr, then they are also indirectly linked to the Jailer himself. So could the Dreadlords have been under the (perhaps indirect) orders of the Jailer the entire time? The entire time meaning the 40,000k+ years they were connected to the Burning Legion, or perhaps even before the Burning Legion, when the demons were a disorganized threat constantly being contained by the Titans.

The Nathrezim stole the Helm of Domination and Frostmourne, or something along those lines, correct? They were created in Torghast, i.e. by the Jailer's blacksmith, certainly under his orders. That throws a wrench in the works. Why would the Nathrezim steal the creations of their master? Well, I think they "stole" these artifacts under Sire Denathrius' orders, not knowing that the Jailer intended for this to happen so that they would be brought into the universe and used in the way they did. See how Sylvanas breaking the Helm of Domination opened the shattered glass-looking tear between the universe and the Shadowlands? It's as if the Helm of Domination was the only thing keeping the two realms apart. Perhaps the Nathrezim brought the Helm of Domination to the universe, and to Azeroth, so such a link would be created between the two realms. If that's the case, Sargeras was played big time by the Dreadlords and by extension, the Jailer. The LK and the Scourge therefore could have been because of the Jailer's machinations (which raises questions about Maldraxxus as well), then because of that Sylvanas happened, who ended up as the Jailer's champion.

My dudes, this goes deep. Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by Sagenod; 2020-04-28 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Grammarz

Looks like Kratos and one of the Architects from Prometheus' love child.

Extremely disappointed.

I'd rather have a mysterious figure

As a Dungeon Master of 30 years, currently running a campaign that my whole group relies on in perpetuity for joy and happiness, I can't help but tip my hat at WoW's ability to throw up the "maybe we planned this all along" smirk as they write an ongoing narrative from previously dangled plot threads. Some people hate this because they can't "know the lore better than the devs do," but honestly, it's a needed skill and strategy when you have an ongoing story that "isn't allowed" to end.

Half of the "retcons" that people hate are fashioned from this plot thread spaghetti that WoW has a passable sauce for. Of course they hadn't planned all this 15 years ago, but they do well with what they've been left, and the mystery of the Jailer may end up being a masterwork of opening a new door that they have (more recently than some might like) cut space for in recent years.

Myself I'm seeing a lot of potential to fill out a few intentionally dangling stories: Elune and, with the Jailor here (as well as revendreth), the Nathrezim. Unlike BFA's uncomfortably grounded and visceral story, I'm really looking forward to "WoW Planescape" in Shadowlands and beyond!
    Last edited by Omedon; 2020-04-28 at 08:46 PM.

I think you are overhyping him. He can't be that powerful, certainly not more than Sargeras or the Void Lords. Calling him the "Satan of the WoW universe" is quite a bold claim.

It'd be much more interesting if he were a villain who relies mostly on deception and manipulation rather than sheer strength. So even if he were an ant compared to Sargeras or Kil'jaeden/Archimonde, he was able to use his cunning to infiltrate the Legion through the dreadlords or some stuff like that, and from there on influenced them from within. Now that N'Zoth is gone, we need a new secretive villain who pulls shit up from behind the scenes.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2020-04-28 at 08:49 PM.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Yeah the jailer looks super disappointing for being the main antagonist in the expansion. My personal theory is that this isn't actually going to be the main antagonist and the real antagonist is going to be something void themed and related to the void lords.

Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    Yeah the jailer looks super disappointing for being the main antagonist in the expansion. My personal theory is that this isn't actually going to be the main antagonist and the real antagonist is going to be something void themed and related to the void lords.
    Real final antagonist is Sylvanas once she betrays him, pushes his heart into a well of power, and says "no one orders me around/I answer to no one."

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Villager720 View Post
    Real final antagonist is Sylvanas once she betrays him, pushes his heart into a well of power, and says "no one orders me around/I answer to no one."
    Nah, she becomes self aware and yells "There is hole in your chest AND I WANT IN"

OP you've given this more thought then blizzard did. He's spooky, spikey and vaguely blue that's the hits they need for 'death evil boss man'.

Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    Half of the "retcons" that people hate are fashioned from this plot thread spaghetti that WoW has a passable sauce for. Of course they hadn't planned all this 15 years ago, but they do well with what they've been left, and the mystery of the Jailer may end up being a masterwork of opening a new door that they have (more recently than some might like) cut space for in recent years.
    You and I have different definitions of 'passable' my friend.

that model isnt "The Jailer", its one of the lesser jailers, the model is used by Zovaal the Jailer in fact (acording to wowhead)

Quote Originally Posted by valky94 View Post
    that model isnt "The Jailer", its one of the lesser jailers, the model is used by Zovaal the Jailer in fact (acording to wowhead)
    Might want to visit the MMO-C homepage, or look at latest wowhead news.

One thing I noticed was all the chains he is wearing, the shackles, and the neck piece all look like prisoner attire. Like he was (is?) being jailed himself (and broke free? hence broken chains). Why he never changed his clothes is beyond me, but there is more to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Destiny Man View Post
    this is what it says in the wowhead article

"It was also unclear if this referred to THE Jailer in Shadowlands, or simply *a* Jailer, as this model was used by Zovaal the Jailer, a lesser Jailer."

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    I think you are overhyping him. He can't be that powerful, certainly not more than Sargeras or the Void Lords. Calling him the "Satan of the WoW universe" is quite a bold claim.
    I mean, that's literally his job (in the modern context of Satan). To lord over/punish the souls of the damned forever; the comparison is apt.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by valky94 View Post
    this is what it says in the wowhead article

"It was also unclear if this referred to THE Jailer in Shadowlands, or simply *a* Jailer, as this model was used by Zovaal the Jailer, a lesser Jailer."
    https://www.wowhead.com/news=312337/...in-shadowlands

Today in the Ion Hazzikostas interview with Zoltan, it was confirmed that the datamined model was the intended model for the main Jailer in Shadowlands.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Destiny Man View Post
    Yes but Ion didn't specifically state WHICH "The Jailer" he was referring to - so it's still unconfirmed whether this is the Jailer!! /s

Jokes aside: if there is a Shadowlands Pantheon of Death to parallel the Titan Pantheon, I wonder what the connection is? It does seem like we will be learning more about where the Titans initially came from and what "community" of higher beings they are truly a part of.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    I mean, that's literally his job (in the modern context of Satan). To lord over/punish the souls of the damned forever; the comparison is apt.
    Satan is also the source of all evil and this Jailer guy does not look like that at all.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

He is a Vasto Lorde and and i love it.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    As a Dungeon Master of 30 years, currently running a campaign that my whole group relies on in perpetuity for joy and happiness, I can't help but tip my hat at WoW's ability to throw up the "maybe we planned this all along" smirk as they write an ongoing narrative from previously dangled plot threads. Some people hate this because they can't "know the lore better than the devs do," but honestly, it's a needed skill and strategy when you have an ongoing story that "isn't allowed" to end.

Myself I'm seeing a lot of potential to fill out a few intentionally dangling stories: Elune and, with the Jailor here (as well as revendreth), the Nathrezim. Unlike BFA's uncomfortably grounded and visceral story, I'm really looking forward to "WoW Planescape" in Shadowlands and beyond!
    Well said!

I actually prefer the “new” model over the original. Original just looked like a zombie Aman’Thul which is fine I guess but this new model looks more... Satanic I guess?