Hmm looks like there's a lack of certainty from Square's side about how many parts this'll be:

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/...rts_therell_be

I was hoping for a bit more of a concrete strategy at this stage. Kind of disappointing news.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Destiny Man View Post
    Hmm looks like there's a lack of certainty from Square's side about how many parts this'll be:

I was hoping for a bit more of a concrete strategy at this stage. Kind of disappointing news.
    Based on the explanation its not really a surprise to me, nor disappointing. They're in a catch 22 so they really can't give an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Based on the explanation its not really a surprise to me, nor disappointing. They're in a catch 22 so they really can't give an answer.
    Yea I guess you're right. I don't really have a problem with either model (assuming reasonable pricing) but just wanted them to have a clear head about what they want at this stage, rather than being in perpetual thinking mode.

Yea I guess you're right. I don't really have a problem with either model (assuming reasonable pricing) but just wanted them to have a clear head about what they want at this stage, rather than being in perpetual thinking mode.
    Yeah they could be a bit more clear I agree. Like I didn't mind paying 60$ for the first one because it felt like a complete experience, and if they are gonna continue releasing 1/8 of the story in each game each installment as full complete games I'd be okay with it, or are they gonna add DLC's or what exactly is the plan here? Now that I think about it I could see it being discouraging.

It makes sense that they are re-evaluating their plans with the success of the remake and seeing how many parts they might actually need. But people need to remember that Midgar was only made into its own game because the devs saw it as a part of the original people really wanted to see more of (included the devs themselves) so the question is whether or not there is any part of the original that could benefit from a similar kind of expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    the question is whether or not there is any part of the original that could benefit from a similar kind of expansion.
    Well, given that most of it was just a bunch of sidequests and minigames, I'd say all of it could.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm guessing they are going for 3 or 4 parts at most, any more and people will lose their minds.

They will touch up the story but I think that the chapters will be made more or less like this, divided into 4 parts. They may trim most of the Huge Materia quest line which was kinda filler from the original and cram everything in 3 parts. But anyway this is the most logical breakdown:

Part 1: Midgar

Part 2: City of the Ancients

1. Journey to Kalm and Kalm exploration
    2. Kalm flashback
    3. Chocobo ranch and Mithril Mines
    4. Journey to Juno and Juno exploration
    5. Cargo ship
    6. Costa del Sol, journey to Corel and Gold Saucer intro
    7. Gold Saucer
    8. Corel prison escape and Gongaga
    9. Journey to Cosmo Canyon and Cosmo Canyon exploration
    10. GI cave
    11. Journey to Nibelheim and exploration + mansion
    12. Mt. Nibel
    13. Journey to Rocket Town and Rocket Town exploration
    14. Gold Saucer part 2
    15. Temple of the Ancients
    16. Journey to Bone Village and Bone Village exploration
    17. Forgotten City

Part 3: Midgar Raid

1. Journey to Icicle Inn and Icicle Inn exploration
    2. Great Glacier
    3. Gaea's Cliff
    4. Whirlwind Maze
    5. Junon and attack of Weapon
    6. Highwind exploration
    7. Mideel exploration
    8. Mt. Corel revisited
    9. Fort Condor
    10. Mideel revisited and Cloud epiphany
    11. Juno and Underwater reactor
    12. Rocket Town revisited
    13. Cosmo Canyon revisited
    14. Journey to City of the Ancients
    15. City of the Ancients and Attack of Diamond Weapon
    16. Diamond Weapon and intro to Midgar
    17. Midgar revisited part 1 - sector 8
    18. Midgar revisited part 2 - tunnels and Hojo

Part 4: Final Showdown

1. Midgar revisited
    2. Wutai
    3. Gelnika
    4. Ancient Forest
      Side quests galore before going to the northern Crater, those are:
    5. Chocobo breeding
    6. Kalm traveler and superbosses
    7. Rest of the ultimate weapons and limit breaks
    8. Final day before northern Crater
    9. Northern Crater part 1 - The Descent
    10. Northern Crater part 2 - Rocky Path
    11. Northern Crater part 3 - The Swamp
    12. Northern Crater part 4 - The Graveyard
    13. Northern Crater part 5 - Bottom of the Crater and Jenova
    14. Northern Crater part 6 - Final showdown
    15. Whatever bullshit Nomura comes up with, hopefully there won't be any
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2020-04-29 at 11:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    God I hope they dont release later parts as DLC instead of full releases. At least sell those parts as budget priced releases if they do decide that. I would prefer 3 or 4 parts, maybe milk out a 5th based around elements of Advent Children/Dirge of Cerberus and any other new lore they want to throw in.

Well, i took a look at my previous guesstimate for the upcoming 2nd part

Quote Originally Posted by segara82 View Post
    I think the next chapters will be:
    19 Travel to Calm
    20 Calm (with several sidequests)
    21 Chocobofarm and Minigame Chocobo-Riding
    22 Marshes (Boss Fight Midgar Zolom)
    23 Mythril Mine (possible Boss Fight Turks)
    24 Travel to Junon with the Battle for Fort Condor (more Avalanche vs Shinra)
    25 Junon Outskirts (with sidequests)
    26 Infiltration of Junon, see war preparations, possibly meet Yuffie spying for Wutai
    27 Aboard the Freighter (Boss Fight Jenova)
    28 Costa del Sol (with Sidequests)
    29 Travel through the Mountains
    30 North Corel (Barret backstory)
    31 Gold Saucer (possible remeeting Jessie and Avalanche, recruit Cait Sith and Yuffie, new Battle Arena and Chocobo Racing Track, minigames)
    32 Imprisonment, Showdown Barret vs Dyne
    33 Release, Gongaga Village (reminiscenting with the Turks, Scarlett, possible Boss Fight against Titan for his Summoning Materia)
    34 Forest Road
    35 Cosmo Canyon (Avalanche HQ, sidequests, Nanaki exposition, meeting Bugenhagen)
    36 Cave of the Gi (Boss Fight Gi Nattak)
    37 Nibelheim (meet Vincent, relive the Nibelheim Incident, possible Boss Fight Lost Number)
    38 Mount Nibel (Boss Materia Keeper)
    39 Rocket Town (get caught up with Shinra, recruit Cid, punch Palmer, end up in Wutai with the Tiny Bronco, decide to meet with Wutai leaders und Avalanche HQ)
    END of Disc 2

Chapter 20 and 21, as could 30 and 31 might get put together, North Corel was really, really tiny.
    Of course SE might decide that Nibelheim is a better cut-off point, but that would require quite some padding to the travelling and small locales like Fort Condor and North Corel. I do not expect to see a World Map to run around on like in the original, more like the corridor walking since FF X.
    Anyway, just my theory.
    and i think i have to rework that a bit given the ongoing discussion.
    19. Travel to Calm and Calm itself (with sidequests)
    20. Reminiscenting at the inn (seeing little Clouds adventure with Warhero Sephiroth just rolfstomping the opposition should be quite a treat)
    21. The Calm plains with the Chocobofarm and the new minigame Chocobo Racing
    22. Through the Marshes. I see 2 possibilities: Either evading the Midgar Zolom on Chocobos or fighting it at the end of the chapter
    23. Mythril Mines. Given the ramped-up tensions with Wutai i expect Shinra/Turks to be there with a new mining crew to gather more Mythril for military purposes.
    24. Travel to Junon with a sidetrip to Fort Condor. More Avalanche vs Shinra stuff.
    25. Junon outskirts, a few sidequests. Maybe even seeing Yuffie.
    26. Infiltration of Junon, war preparations, high chances to get Yuffie.
    27. Aboard the Freighter.
    28. Costa del Sol, with sidequests and a few meetings (Hojo, Andrea).
    29. Travel through the mountains and North Corel.
    30. Gold Saucer, minigames, meeting/getting Cait Sith.
    31. Desert prison, Barret vs Dyne, proofing innocence.
    32. Release, Gongaga Village, Zack backstory, Director Scarlett shows up.
    33. Travel to Cosmo Canyon and Cosmo Canyon, lots of Avalanche this time.
    34. Bugenhagen exposition, Nanaki and the Cave of the Gi.
    35. Travel to Nibelheim and Nibelheim.
    36. Shinra Mansion, getting Vincent, fighting Sephiroth and further mindfuckery.
    possible:
    37. Mount Nibel and its reactor
    38 Rocket Town, meeting Cid, punching Director Palmer, fleeing to Wutai on the Tiny Bronco.

Should SE decide to NOT make such large chapters for all the traveling we will do we might get as far as the Temple of the Ancients IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

Should SE decide to NOT make such large chapters for all the traveling we will do we might get as far as the Temple of the Ancients IMHO.
    If SE go with smaller parts then I can see travelling sections being skimmed over or condensed. The travel sections weren't that heavy on narrative and in the case of Cargo ship you already have the biggest reason for it handled in part 1 anyway.

If SE go with smaller parts then I can see travelling sections being skimmed over or condensed. The travel sections weren't that heavy on narrative and in the case of Cargo ship you already have the biggest reason for it handled in part 1 anyway.
    Condensed, maybe, but not really skipped over. They have tried to make the world feel bigger and more complex, so i doubt they will outright remove the travelling bits unless it is done in a vehicle to better reminiscense or give us exposition. A good opportunity would be while driving through the desert from Gold Saucer to Gongaga in that shiny new buggy we got.
    Of course they could cut quite a lot of travelling by letting the group use other means of transportation, like taking the tram from Costa del Sol to the Gold Saucer but that would remove Nort Corel and other bits from the game which the fans would not respond well to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

Condensed, maybe, but not really skipped over. They have tried to make the world feel bigger and more complex, so i doubt they will outright remove the travelling bits unless it is done in a vehicle to better reminiscense or give us exposition. A good opportunity would be while driving through the desert from Gold Saucer to Gongaga in that shiny new buggy we got.
    Like I say, things like Cargo Ship don't carry as much as weight any more because of what already happened. About the only reason I'd even care for Cargo ship right now is to maybe see a recreated Red XIII doing a dance-walk in his Shinra Uniform, but that can literally be a 5 minute scene.

Ultimately what matters to the team is delivering the story they want, within the time frame they want and in the way they want. If that means they want to achieve that with travelling intact, great more stuff for us. I just don't want them to feel held ransom to give extra focus on stuff they don't want to do just for the sake of keeping it side by side to the original.

Of course they could cut quite a lot of travelling by letting the group use other means of transportation, like taking the tram from Costa del Sol to the Gold Saucer but that would remove Nort Corel and other bits from the game which the fans would not respond well to.
    What individual thing fans will and won't react badly to isn't something that we can validate. I speak as a fan personally and I tell you with full seriousness, I don't need or want a 1:1 recreation of old game to new. I don't claim at all to be in sync with other fans but we need to stop taking this approach of "they can't remove this minor thing in remake cause fans will be in uproar". We're not a hive mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know about cutting disk 1 into 3 parts, I know they kinda shot themselves in the foot but I don't see how they can afford to have that many parts in total.

Do the sales support cutting the game into like 5 parts?

- - - Updated - - -

Like I say, things like Cargo Ship don't carry as much as weight any more because of what already happened. About the only reason I'd even care for Cargo ship right now is to maybe see a recreated Red XIII doing a dance-walk in his Shinra Uniform, but that can literally be a 5 minute scene.

Ultimately what matters to the team is delivering the story they want, within the time frame they want and in the way they want. If that means they want to achieve that with travelling intact, great more stuff for us. I just don't want them to feel held ransom to give extra focus on stuff they don't want to do just for the sake of keeping it side by side to the original.
    Cargo ship is pretty huge in terms to plot exposition.

Anyone else worried certain things will be removed in part 2? Some things seem too much, like the accessory from the Combat Sim on hard mode. Also having Materia leveled to the max when it was something that took a long time to do. Having Curaga and not even 1/2 way thru the story. It’s fun feeling powered up, but if they continue this we are either going to be too OP for the rest of the game parts, or we will have some kind of nerf, or they will just increase the previous max which will make everything else seem powered up too much.
    Just wondering how it’s going to balance out I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Cargo ship is pretty huge in terms to plot exposition.
    Again, not in the context of how things played out in Part 1.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Anyone else worried certain things will be removed in part 2? Some things seem too much, like the accessory from the Combat Sim on hard mode. Also having Materia leveled to the max when it was something that took a long time to do. Having Curaga and not even 1/2 way thru the story. It’s fun feeling powered up, but if they continue this we are either going to be too OP for the rest of the game parts, or we will have some kind of nerf, or they will just increase the previous max which will make everything else seem powered up too much.
    Just wondering how it’s going to balance out I guess.
    Thing is if it gets broken into smaller parts, particularly if DLC is involved, I legitimately have no idea what I would say is best practice for that. Leaving in OP shit I guess, or scaling? It's interesting to consider with that model.

Like I said before they will stretch it out for many different games if they keep selling well. If sales start to fall off with 2nd installment they will probably end it with 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Like I said before they will stretch it out for many different games if they keep selling well. If sales start to fall off with 2nd installment they will probably end it with 3.
    That's assuming they continue with the big parts model over the smaller/quicker model, but yea there's no denying profitability is a factor here. Longer they string this across the more drop off there's going to be with continued purchases.

That's assuming they continue with the big parts model over the smaller/quicker model, but yea there's no denying profitability is a factor here. Longer they string this across the more drop off there's going to be with continued purchases.
    Yea the thing is if they keep selling decent enough each new one is easier and cheaper to make due to asset and engine reuse. I mean that's the entire reason XIII got 2 sequels lmao.

Once the sales are trending to drop below a certain point though, they're gonna end it before the gravy train stops.

In all realism, SE could finish this in 3-4 parts. Most of the open world stuff doesn’t really need expanding. SE could make part 2 continue from part 1 and potentially go to the life stream portion. Part 3 can go from there until the end.
    Side quests don’t really take up a huge amount of the story as most of them from part 1 are contained in the immediate area you get them.
    It will be interesting. I hope SE just doesn’t go to make a profit and extend it out over who knows how many parts.

https://www.siliconera.com/final-fan...e-term-remake/

Ok so. The story of the game isn't what what promised at all. And yeah I say "promised" because they've literally been saying how people have been asking this for so long.

Either way, enough of that, what really bothers me is all the arrogant people who diss on "purists". Like, can you piss off and get off your high horse? You literally have wanted for years the same exact thing these "purists" have wanted too, it doesn't mean you're more right than they are and it doesn't mean they dont have the right to be upset.

Even if the game is good. Which imo it is.