The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    Blind bias is whiteknighting, refusing to accept there is any problems is whiteknighting, attempting to justify expenditure and delays in the face of all contrary evidence is whiteknighting.

Do you? Here's the definition:

All of your posts since you joined this conversation have been about attacking my character in order to discredit my position in this discussion aka ad-hominems.
    Your character Or your argument? Cause there is a different. I was attacking your argument that because he memorized something and is defending the game that makes it like scripture. in other words I was arguing against you calling him a fanatic.

I have yet to say anything about YOU.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Irony is lost upon you isn't it? Maybe showing you what a real ad-hominem is will open your eyes, but I doubt it.
    Who said they did not engage in ad-homs, because it sure wasn't me. Now you're trying to act like it was me who said it and you're attempting to come up with more of your stupid "gotchas"...

Just lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who said they did not engage in ad-homs, because it sure wasn't me. Now you're trying to act like it was me who said it and you're attempting to come up with more of your stupid "gotchas"...

Just lol.
    Where is the insult in there?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Where is the insult in there?
    I am not saying there is an insult in there. Like WTF?

- - - Updated - - -

Your character Or your argument? Cause there is a different. I was attacking your argument that because he memorized something and is defending the game that makes it like scripture. in other words I was arguing against you calling him a fanatic.

I have yet to say anything about YOU.
    Ah now we're going for the innocence act... surprise surprise

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah now we're going for the innocence act... surprise surprise
    I mean can you quote me just once insulting your character and not your argument? Turning your argument back on you isn't insulting your character. It's showing how bad your argument was in the first place.

I mean can you quote me just once insulting your character and not your argument? Turning your argument back on you isn't insulting your character. It's showing how bad your argument was in the first place.
    Selectively taking comments out of context in an attempt to undermine, as described in bolded section below

Ad hominem attacks can take the form of overtly attacking somebody, or more subtly casting doubt on their character or personal attributes as a way to discredit their argument. The result of an ad hom attack can be to undermine someone's case without actually having to engage with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Selectively taking comments out of context in an attempt to undermine, as described in bolded section below
    I don't see anything quoted.

Holy moly? Why make it fun and engaging when we can have it simple and boring instead? said no one ever...

And that is the problem, $350 million and counting, 8 years and counting and this is all there is to show for it, less than what was said could be done with $23 million.

The thing is Kenn, as long as people are not breaking forum rules, complaints and criticism are fair game and Star Citizen has painted a large target on its back with the amount of self-aggrandizement. Besides, you're welcome to put me on ignore if you want.
    Its a solid travel system and how do you know they wont evolve it in the future but currently its better than any similar games available so your complaining over nothing, every system starts of with something that works and if needed it is adapted, no matter what you do with a travel system after a certain amount of hours its no going to matter, better to have the professions to be the way to engage players.

SC has to create most of what it needs from scratch and the game is far larger than any traditional MMO, so you have no idea how long and how much things actually cost.

Your like a broken record still going on about the same thing you have been complaining about since the start and providing nothing constructive, it would be hard to find anything you said that was actually nice about SC, seems your only here to see the game fail so it validates all the hate you seem to have for it, wanting a game to fail only hurts the gamers as developers then take no risks, doesnt matter how long it takes and how much it takes, what matters is the final product.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Its a solid travel system and how do you know they wont evolve it in the future but currently its better than any similar games available so your complaining over nothing, every system starts of with something that works and if needed it is adapted, no matter what you do with a travel system after a certain amount of hours its no going to matter, better to have the professions to be the way to engage players.

SC has to create most of what it needs from scratch and the game is far larger than any traditional MMO, so you have no idea how long and how much things actually cost.

Your like a broken record still going on about the same thing you have been complaining about since the start and providing nothing constructive, it would be hard to find anything you said that was actually nice about SC, seems your only here to see the game fail so it validates all the hate you seem to have for it, wanting a game to fail only hurts the gamers as developers then take no risks, doesnt matter how long it takes and how much it takes, what matters is the final product.
    Speaking of broken records, let's highlight the hits you love to repat:
    *in the future the game will do X and Y
    *Far larger than any project ever
    *No idea how long this will take or how much it will cost
    *Call other poster a hater
    *SC takes risks
    *Ignore how long it takes to make and how much it will cost. What matters is the final product.

I mean it is a buzzword salad for sure. I don't get the need to bash a poster for their opinion though. You like SC, we get it. Even some of the supposed 'haters' like the idea of it but they realize the game has taken a long time and sucked up a lot of money and still isn't even close to coming out. You don't see both sides of it. To you it is Pro-SC vs the HATERS. It is black and white to you. That isn't how the world works though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    *SC takes risks
    *Ignore how long it takes to make and how much it will cost. What matters is the final product.

I mean it is a buzzword salad for sure. I don't get the need to bash a poster for their opinion though. You like SC, we get it. Even some of the supposed 'haters' like the idea of it but they realize the game has taken a long time and sucked up a lot of money and still isn't even close to coming out. You don't see both sides of it. To you it is Pro-SC vs the HATERS. It is black and white to you. That isn't how the world works though.
    The game is not taking that long considering the size of the project, thats a fact that many just ignore, the company was built from the ground up so it may of taken a little less time if they had the staff they currently have. Many gamers interested in sci fi have been waiting years already for a true space game, whats a little more wait time for something that is already proven is a good space game even now.

When pretty much all your posts are trying to trash the game then you must hate it, you cant just be happy they are making a game that has been missing in the market for years, just like people complaining about the ff7 remake just because the whole story is not available in the first version, you get 10 times more story but it doesnt matter.

so much salt, so little said....

I don't see anything quoted.
    I'm not playing your game.

As I have repeatedly said, this is a thread about Star Citizen, not me.

- - - Updated - - -

Its a solid travel system and how do you know they wont evolve it in the future but currently its better than any similar games available
    Because they don't evlove things much, if at all. Look at the combat, the flight model. Small changes but the overall design does not change drastically.

And no, it is not currently better than any similar game, that is just crazy talk.

so your complaining over nothing, every system starts of with something that works and if needed it is adapted, no matter what you do with a travel system after a certain amount of hours its no going to matter, better to have the professions to be the way to engage players.
    You're*

If I am complaining over nothing why do you keep making such a big deal of my nothingness complaints?

SC's travel system is lazy, it's boring and it does nothing but waste a horrendous amount of time for the player. It's a 10 minute glorifired loading screen.

Irrelevant. Look at the slides from 2016 showing their timeline for the next year. By the end of 2017 we were meant to be able to travel to new systems and yet, here we are 3.5 years later and it is nowhere in sight. It doesn't matter what other games are doing, what matters is whether CIG are hitting their targets.

You're*
    It's not my job to be constructive, that's not a prerequisite for posting on this thread. If I think CIG are dropping the ball or not delivering a good return on the funds they have been given I have every right to say so. If I think decisions, mechanics or design are inadequate compared to what people we led to believe they would be getting then I can going to say so, there's plenty of positivity from others in this thread already so a little criticism isn't going to hurt.

What doesn't help is people acting like this is all fine (because in their minds CIG can do no wrong).

If you are fed up with that then just put me on your blocklist. You don't have to read my comments, you don't have to reply. I'm not here for arguments but I will argue my points if people want to contest them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Is that when you're escaping in the prison undersuit? Or is 10 minutes regardless of what armor or undersuit you're wearing? If it's the latter, then it looks like camping the prison with a sniper rifle won't be practical, and your only chance will be to camp any ships in the area and shoot any dudes in prison suits approaching them/riding in Dragonfly on the way back.
    the suit's tank can only hold 10 mins of air on Aberdeen's surface. i don't want to spoil anything, but there are ways of getting more air when you are on the surface, but it will be in 10 min increments, unless you can find a more prolonged source (remember that if you are in an atmosphere with air, it will replenish your suits tanks of Oxy until you leave it. i saw this yesterday and thought it was apropos of your last statement, streamer uhSnow trying to get an evac after escaping prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Bloody hell, I never though the day would come where I would sit here agreeing with you and thinking how reasonable that entire damn thing sounds… indeed, Star Citizen unlike pretty much other developers doesn’t really have to give much of a fuck about deadlines due the seemingly endless well of wealth it has, how’s that actually going to work out for them still remains to be seen, but realistically speaking, cancelled? Nha, there is to much invested on it already, worst case scenario they just sell it out to another company, like how they did with Freelancer.
    all i care about it reducing misinformation and good faith discussions, so.../shrug
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    @kenn9530 Holy shit buddy, seems that not even Odeezee is on board with you with your deadline nonsense, no wonder why you went suddenly radio silent about it.
    nope, let's not start with bad faith arguments as that is not what i said. i said they were both right; one was general for most games, one was specific to Star Citizen which is unlike any other game ever developed in many, many, many ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by razorpax View Post
    all of this cements my opinion

"release the game with X and Y features and add Z feature down the line"
    no thank-you. we have many examples of this and it generally leads to promises never being fully realized as it takes so much to add features after the game is in the wild and barring a fundamental rework to the game and engine, it never works out well. for some examples just take a look at the struggles of Elite: Dangerous with the very development strategy you are referring to. besides many if not most Star Citizen backers are here for the long haul as we get that when you ask for everything under and including other suns, it will take time for them to be realized and we get to test stuff so that when it reaches release it's something both the devs and the players will be happy with generally.
    Should have said ArcCorp, not Daymar.
    in good faith, that is a common mistake, so it's forgivable.
    It's no different to a loading screen, just flashing effects on screen for 15 minutes straight. And commercial flights? That's where (one day) you might play barista for NPCs, mixing drinks/fetching snacks? Wooh so much fun fun.
    And no, it's nothing your comparison, like nothing at all

3 minutes 3 seconds in for your minutes long 80's style loading screen

Woohoo much fidelity!!!
    now this is not in good faith or even charitable. /sigh. you know that the quantum travel in Star Citizen is not a loading screen but you insist it is, why? you can enter it from anywhere, you can exit it at any time, other people can see you enter it, hell other people can even see you in it on your ship while they are on their ship if you group quantum jump, you can literally leave your seat if you are in a ship with a cabin and do things aboard the ship during the quantum jump (yes in the future you can do things like serve your clients with food and beverages, hell with the 3.9 patch that just dropped you can actually RP it even though the mechanics are not fully fleshed out, or repair the ship, etc). not to mention that as a player you can upgrade your quantum drive depending on your needs so the time it takes is varied too even with the same ship. le sigh.
    Nah you're alright, I'll take gameplay over graphics.
    this is a false choice that gamers think they need to make, when that may have been the case for games made in like the early 2000s and before, but not now, so i'll take both thanks!
    lol...........

damn, this is quite telling. thanks for this, it highlights what i had surmised about the people who frequent this sub.
    *SC takes risks
    most of what you wrote are just facts about and surrounding the project, they can be corroborated and verified. isn't it more telling that they even have to be repeated in the first place? i get it some people come to the project late so ofc we can help give people the relevant information to make the most informed decision about the game for themselves, but these things are repeated to people who have been here a while, so should know better than to try and counter with debunked opinions, conjecture and vitriol.
    i find this fascinating. out of curiosity do you think that detractors of the game know more about the different perspectives one can view the game than the backers themselves? like the detractors are somehow imparting some sort of perspective that gives color to backers myopic black and white view of the game? let me know if i have misunderstood what you meant to say as you did frame it in that way at least when i read it.

oh and one more set of questions; how long should games like Star Citizen and Squadron 42 take to develop given everything that they entail? which studio do you think would have tried to make it and what would have been their incentive given that they had not tried this before even though there are many studios making millions in profit? how does having a lot of money correlate to releasing a game of this magnitude rapidly exactly? and what is the other "side" exactly? what do they bring to the table and what is the point of their opinion exactly, as in what purpose is it trying to serve?
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

snip.
    actually being constructive is what your supposed to do in the forum, its actually breaking forum rules not being constructive, read the rules.

The combat is actually challenging as you need skill to even hit targets and will be even more involved in the future. So nothing wrong with combat and the flight model, plus combat is a small part of the game.

You can complain about it if you want, its a space game its going to take time to travel to another planet, adding the ability to fly in another direction at QT speed doesnt change anything.

It was stated in the kickstarter that depending on the funding things were subject to change, actually jumping to other systems was planned for 4.0 we are in 3.9 so your wrong about many things, and we have already seen them jump to another system so it will be implemented when its suitable.

If i stopped replying back you would have barely any posts here, its not up to you or anyone to determine anything about the company, current version of the game is more than worth the basic starter package, there are many games that give you far less that what SC currently offers.

Creating a map for an MMO is one thing but creating a working universe is far more challenging than you seem to realise, what version of the patch have you even played, if you have not even played it you dont really have any leg to stand on, looking at twitch is not the same as actually being in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    now this is not in good faith or even charitable. /sigh. you know that the quantum travel in Star Citizen is not a loading screen but you insist it is, why? you can enter it from anywhere, you can exit it at any time, other people can see you enter it, hell other people can even see you in it on your ship while they are on their ship if you group quantum jump, you can literally leave your seat if you are in a ship with a cabin and do things aboard the ship during the quantum jump (yes in the future you can do things like serve your clients with food and beverages, hell with the 3.9 patch that just dropped you can actually RP it even though the mechanics are not fully fleshed out, or repair the ship, etc). not to mention that as a player you can upgrade your quantum drive depending on your needs so the time it takes is varied too even with the same ship. le sigh.
    It's hyperbolic, it's not a bad faith argument because the point I am trying to drive home is that flashing effects on your screen that do not change for 10 minutes or more are just like an extended loading screen. Yes you can get up and walk around your ship but after you've done it a couple of times there is really no reason to do it again so you're sat in your seat watching your "loading screen" effects.
    People talk about the things you are going to be able to do to break up the monotony but it's just talk, none of it has been delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    this is a false choice that gamers think they need to make, when that may have been the case for games made in like the early 2000s and before, but not now, so i'll take both thanks!
    Given the choice I'd also take both but as it stands gameplay in SC is lacking, there's a lot more effort into making things look good than play good. That is my point.

- - - Updated - - -

actually being constructive is what your supposed to do in the forum, its actually breaking forum rules not being constructive, read the rules.
    Sure, but constructive does not mean positive comments only. Criticism can be constructive. It can spawn a constructive discussion about the positives and negatives of a thing. What matters is how people deal with critcal comments and in this particular thread some people really struggle with that. What the rules are referring to is trolling, setting up arguments just to bait people etc.

The combat is actually challenging as you need skill to even hit targets and will be even more involved in the future. So nothing wrong with combat and the flight model, plus combat is a small part of the game.
    We were talking about the likelihood of things changing not the merit of those things. Both the combat and the flight model get a lot of flak on Spectrum and the subreddit. Just because something is difficult does not mean it is good.

You can complain about it if you want, its a space game its going to take time to travel to another planet, adding the ability to fly in another direction at QT speed doesnt change anything.
    I plan to
    And that is just your opinion, a rather naive one in my opinion because it could be so much better, so much more engaging and dynamic.

It was stated in the kickstarter that depending on the funding things were subject to change, actually jumping to other systems was planned for 4.0 we are in 3.9 so your wrong about many things, and we have already seen them jump to another system so it will be implemented when its suitable.
    Is that how you're going to wave it away? 3.5 years+ late and "Oh well, it doesn't matter because CIG gave themselves an out." Never mind that these slides are used to drive hype and get people buying goods because they think the company has a clear timeline set for progress...

What many things am I wrong about? 4.0 was advertised to come in December 2017, not July 2020

If i stopped replying back you would have barely any posts here, its not up to you or anyone to determine anything about the company, current version of the game is more than worth the basic starter package, there are many games that give you far less that what SC currently offers.
    I think that works both ways, you wouldn't comment much either

Creating a map for an MMO is one thing but creating a working universe is far more challenging than you seem to realise, what version of the patch have you even played, if you have not even played it you dont really have any leg to stand on, looking at twitch is not the same as actually being in the game.
    Kenn, you don't know what I realise so stop trying to project an image on me.
    Of course it is difficult and beset with challenges but Chris/CIG are the ones claiming it is possible and can be done for X amount of money and in X amount of time. Some leeway is to be expected that has to have limits. And at some point you have to look at what's been delivered in the time taken, the money spent and the quality of it and think about what that means for everything that is still missing. In my opinion it's become a good example of throwing good money after bad.

snip.
    actually they never mentioned release dates specifically in the 2016 citcon presentation so your just making it up, after 2015 chris didnt really mention dates anymore.

Concerning flight model any complaints are mainly just due to fine tuning and getting it just right but mostly people are positive about it, the game is meant to be sort of realistic so it takes time to get to another place thats in another place in a solar system, most people acutally enjoy the QT system.

The game is not late, scope changed and size multiplied, and in reality the game is not taken any longer than any other massive scale development project.

I dont have pretty much all my posts in the one area, your pretty invested in just trashing SC, what games do you actually play and like.

Current version of the alpha shows how much quality is in the game and it will only improve further, and if people were not happy to wait then they could of just refunded but it still keeps bringing in more.

actually they never mentioned release dates specifically in the 2016 citcon presentation so your just making it up, after 2015 chris didnt really mention dates anymore.
    LOL

Gamescom 2016 - 24 minutes in and talking about 3.0 being their big end of the year release, getting it out for the end of the year. Then at Citizencon 2016 (I hr 10 mins in or thereabout) they show the roadmap of quarterly patches coming through 2017 delivering the content shown in those slides. So tell me again that I am making it up.

Concerning flight model any complaints are mainly just due to fine tuning and getting it just right but mostly people are positive about it, the game is meant to be sort of realistic so it takes time to get to another place thats in another place in a solar system, most people acutally enjoy the QT system.
    Most people? Based on what statistical analysis Kenn? Let's see your surveys which confirm this statement.

The game is not late, scope changed and size multiplied, and in reality the game is not taken any longer than any other massive scale development project.
    The game is taking far longer than anyone ever expected even allowing for leeway. And the second half of your comment is complete and utter bullshit. If it has taken this long to almost complete a single star system and put it a few mechanics how long do you predict it will take to complete the rest of what was sold?

I dont have pretty much all my posts in the one area, your pretty invested in just trashing SC, what games do you actually play and like.
    I like lots of games on the PC, PS4 and WiiU + Switch.

Current version of the alpha shows how much quality is in the game and it will only improve further, and if people were not happy to wait then they could of just refunded but it still keeps bringing in more.
    They closed off refunds so that's not possible.

Here's a quote about part of 3.9 from someone a couple of thousand dollars in

The radial menu isn't just clumsy with any known control input known to humans with less than 8 fingers on each hand, it's also laggy beyond belief. Buying a bottle of water, hotdog, MRE pack or can of soda...which you can only buy singly one at a tedious time...takes 3 to 5 seconds to complete every time with the pointlessly retarded and fluff animations required by the genius Roberts for this red headed stepchild to his grand Sqn 42 cinematic opus.

It's not like I can go to a vendor and buy 5 bottles of water at once which are immediately transferred to my inventory...I have to watch in absolute horror whilst the stumbling idiot of my avatar picks one out...looks at it like it was some strange alien growth appearing on his glove, hold the interaction key till a menu appears enabling me to eat/stow/drop or further inspect it...repetitively...time after time until I have the required amount I want...it's bloody hideous, pointless and completely mindless.
    Last edited by 1001; 2020-04-30 at 08:00 AM.

its a space game what would you suggest instant travel to anywhere you want, plus its not a loading screen you can get up and look at the universe from somewhere else on your ship as your not fixed to your seat, you can actually see the planets and such as your travelling. Its a travel system just like in any other MMO but your not actually stuck inplace. What is your suggestion to make it interesting for you, its traveling from one point to another, SC is a space simulation game.
    You can see planets ? Then either the universe is hella small or the travelling time is shrunk down by an awful lot, but in no circumstances you should see anything passing by if you're traveling that fast.

Quantum travel is apparently 0.2c, which means in 10 minutes you travel 35 million km... Which is 20% of Earth-Sun distance.

At this point the travel won't be realistic (unless they state Quantum travel allows you to travel at 200 times the speed of light), so why not just replace it with a 2-seconds loading screen

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    You can see planets ? Then either the universe is hella small or the travelling time is shrunk down by an awful lot, but in no circumstances you should see anything passing by if you're traveling that fast.

Quantum travel is apparently 0.2c, which means in 10 minutes you travel 35 million km... Which is 20% of Earth-Sun distance.

At this point the travel won't be realistic (unless they state Quantum travel allows you to travel at 200 times the speed of light), so why not just replace it with a 2-seconds loading screen
    you can see planets within a certain range and see them as your travelling past in QT, what would be the point in instant travel anywhere you want, it then removes a large part of actually being a space game, makes no sense. You can see space stations in orbit also.

Qt is the maximum speed that a ship can travel, what would be the need for jump gates/points if you can go 200 times speed of light, that completely makes jump points irrelevant.

snip
    there are 10 more quarterly updates from 3.0 - 4.0 so thats almost a 2.5 year minimum patch rollout to 4.0 from the start of 2017 so you are talking nonsense.

If people are going to complain about something it will be on reddit and most that did complain are generally happy with any of the updates, but its impossible to keep everyone happy.

Many of the star systems will not require a hugh deal of time to make if they are not already in a basic form already, they have tech to create any planet they want and cover it in whatever they want, cities are the only thing that will take a while as they need assets, so most of the creation of the universe shoudlnt be an issue.

3.9 has given me no issues at all, the game is in alpha its not perfect but there is a refund policy and if you spend hundreds on a game thats still in development and change your mind its your own fault if you fall outside the policy. There is no sympathy for anyone to go thousands into a game and not know everything involved and then fall outside the refund window.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2020-04-30 at 08:53 AM.

there are 10 more quarterly updates from 3.0 - 4.0 so thats almost a 3 year minimum patch rollout to 4.0 from the start of 2017 so you are talking nonsense.
    See this is an example of a bad faith argument.

The original timeline showed one thing (which is what I was talking about) and you are trying to say that does not matter because other patches have come out since then, despite them being years late. You accuse people of lying when you repeatedly argue disengenously.

Many of the star systems will not require a hugh deal of time to make if they are not already in a basic form already, they have tech to create any planet they want and cover it in whatever they want, cities are the only thing that will take a while as they need assets, so most of the creation of the universe shoudlnt be an issue.
    Rubbish. A good deal of the systems require a large amount of unique assets and that is what takes the time. None of them are ready in a basic form, WYSIWYG with Star Citizen (granted there is SQ42 being kept quiet but that exists in a very small section of the game), there is absolutely no way they would pass off the chance to advertise their progress if they could do so.

3.9 has given me no issues at all
    I don't believe you at all, you lie all the time. Lots of discssion in this thead about the amount of bugs in 3.9 https://old.reddit.com/r/starcitizen...e_patch_notes/

the game is in alpha its not perfect but there is a refund policy and if you spend hundreds on a game thats still in development and change your mind its your own fault if you fall outside the policy.
    A 14 or 30 day refund window iirc. If people spend lots of money because they are misled about delivery dates, upcoming content etc then CIG shoulder a good portion of the blame. You cannot put all of that on the backer. Take that line of thinking and apply it elsewhere in the world and it would be a complete clusterfuck.