Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fangless View Post
    Looked like 'Action Viking Game' more than anything from Assassin's Creed, or basically 'yet another third person game' by Ubisoft.
    There is only 1, maybe 2 actually good "Assassins Creed" games in the series: 2 and Brotherhood which is essentially just a new map for 2.

The rest of the good games (Black Flag/Odyssey/Origins MAYBE) are not "AC games" so when the majority of the good games in the series aren't about Assassins and aren't about assassinations, whats the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by EbaumsTipster View Post
    Protagonist is a viking =/= devs think Vikings are good guys.
    I mean, when have the Assassins ever really been portrayed as the bad guys in AC?

Quote Originally Posted by EbaumsTipster View Post
    Protagonist is a viking =/= devs think Vikings are good guys.
    I'd agree with this (as it's kinda a big part of their Far Cry series) but it does seem that, much like AC:O/Od, you're gonna be the good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I'd agree with this (as it's kinda a big part of their Far Cry series) but it does seem that, much like AC:O/Od, you're gonna be the good guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    I mean, when have the Assassins ever really been portrayed as the bad guys in AC?
    AC3, Black Flag, Rogue, just from the ones I've actually played. Regardless, the question is irrelevant because I am talking about the idea that "devs are rewriting history" when it's a videogame that's not their statement on history, and they already confirmed that they are not showing either the Vikings or the English in a perfect light anyway.

AC Has always been an alternate take on historic events... The entire games plot is that history is not what it has been told in our world. There has been other agencies behind the events. They will do as they always have been doing in all games. The ones you play as have been "smeared" by the evil guys. In this case Vikings would have been "smeared" by the English King it seems like.

Not sure why it would suddenly be an issue except they decided to do a re-telling as they always have on a setting you like to be accurate.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2020-04-30 at 07:01 PM.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Palapop View Post
    Not playing any Assassin's Creed since they became "God of Assassin's Witcher's Hunter's Creed".

They ruined it
    On the contrary. I couldn't get into the series until they became "God of Assassin's Witcher's Hunter's Creed".

They fixed it

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    On the contrary. I couldn't get into the series until they became "God of Assassin's Witcher's Hunter's Creed".

They fixed it
    I agree, while the first 2 were somewhat original with the gameplay and history-trip, it fizzled out pretty quickly. Add to that every time they jumped back to the modern era and 4th wall breaking .. oof!
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    At the start of Odyssey they made leveling a pain and sold XP boosts in the shop for real money. They turned around on it rather quick.
    Played odyssey since the minute it released and I honestly never noticed anything at all in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Destiny Man View Post
    As much as I loathe what AC has become I am interested in how they play the viking angle. I'm fairly Norse obsessed so could be cool.
    ha,i feel like they changed AC in to something amazing,love these witcher like games

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    lol @0:43

The history buff in me is so triggered by that trailer? Did they just insinuate that Vikings were honorable when they invaded and then go on to show the lead viking guy let a woman and her children pass unharmed? No. That women would be raped and those children dead.

Understandable I guess as its a video game that kids will play and it needs to have positive connotations so kids don't go around raping and pillaging but still that sort of stuff irks me, not that Assassins Creed has ever been historically accurate but still :P

Just don't be surprised that their next game lets you play as Nazis and then go onto tell you they were just misunderstood lol
    Did you ever notice how in the previous games Assassins in general weren't prone to slaughtering women and children for sport? Hey, at least you got to flex the "history buff" (lol) in you.

Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    Played odyssey since the minute it released and I honestly never noticed anything at all in that area.
    If you did side quests it's apparently not much of a problem, but I'm not a side quest guy (at least not on the first playthrough, if I like the game I'll come back and 100% it)

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean...the AC series has always been extremely loose with its history. The history has always been more about defining the setting rather than being about total accuracy (some parts like designing Notre Dam are). I feel like people (not necessarily you) have been complaining about this forever and it's been the same since the start of the series. It's fictional history, not non-fiction. And they seem to have embraced the more fantasy elements in a big way with Origins and Odyssey, so they've moving even further away from historical accuracy.

And somehow, I doubt they're gonna make the Nazi's into good guys. Considering Ubisoft get accused of being "ess jay dubs" that wouldn't jive.
    I know I was just over exaggerating on that bit. Still I love the viking setting, sucks that its in an Assassins Creed game because those games have never gelled with me.

Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    Did you ever notice how in the previous games Assassins in general weren't prone to slaughtering women and children for sport? Hey, at least you got to flex the "history buff" (lol) in you.
    Never played the other AA games outside of knowing what they were about. And as I said, AC games have never been historically accurate so I am aware, but this thread is about Valhalla not those.
    Last edited by Orby; 2020-04-30 at 08:02 PM.

I know I was just over exaggerating on that bit. Still I love the viking setting, sucks that its in an Assassins Creed game because those games have never gelled with me.
    Fair enough. I hated the series until it turned into an open world RPG, the earlier games were never my speed.

lol @0:43

The history buff in me is so triggered by that trailer? Did they just insinuate that Vikings were honorable when they invaded and then go on to show the lead viking guy let a woman and her children pass unharmed? No. That women would be raped and those children dead.

Understandable I guess as its a video game that kids will play and it needs to have positive connotations so kids don't go around raping and pillaging but still that sort of stuff irks me, not that Assassins Creed has ever been historically accurate but still :P

Just don't be surprised that their next game lets you play as Nazis and then go onto tell you they were just misunderstood lol
    So all Vikings(Norsmen) ran around killing and raping all the time? They didnt have a huge trading system spanning from Denmark/norway/Swe all the way to Istanbul? All the way to Russia(by sea and land)? They didnt actually incorporate democratic election and that "every man has a vote"? They didnt have great skills at sea such as navigation? They werent master craftmen when it came to building boats? They werent great at agriculture? They didnt manage to sail from Norway to Iceland, Greenland and actually made it over to the North America continent? Oh I guess that most of what i've read about them in serious books are just bonkers stupid things and they were all batshit crazy idiots running around with a stick in theyre hand raping everything they saw while killing monks in Lindisfarne. They didnt actually write down hundreds of years of history in the saga books? Its one of the oldest kept book archive from that time. Bards would write down things that happend. I have read those books(all of it is recently translated very good), but I guess all of that is just mumbo jumbo.

Newsflash: Back in those times, no one really were very "civilized". Its not like christianity havent done theyre part. Lots of "good" things have happend in the name of god. Killings, raping, murders, pillaging etc were rather "normal" back then by all people and countries. In fact, the vikings(norsemen) that lived on Iceland had two choices in the end: Either all convert to christianity or be slaughtered and killed.

On topic - This game looks great. I really enjoyed AC Odyssey and I cant wait for this one!
    Last edited by crusadernero; 2020-04-30 at 08:08 PM.

This is a far-cry from what AC really used to be. Looks cool, but it's a shame that the games lost a lot of what made them unique.

Wait wait wait we're talking about historical accuracy in a series where you fought the pope while doing the electric boogaloo? And this was long before they ever started putting mythical beasts in the series which Origins and Odyssey did.

The only thing that has ever been close to trying to be historically accurate within AC is the locations themselves. IE Edge's Notre Dame reference or the Vatican in Bloodlines, the pyramids in Origins etc. After the point of historical landmarks historical accuracy go's right out the fucking window in AC.

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    ha,i feel like they changed AC in to something amazing,love these witcher like games
    Hasn't it mostly the last two games that have been like that though (genuine question because I haven't paid attention to the series for a long time)?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    TBF when it comes to a single player game you should be able to not be cock blocked if all you want to do is the main story.

Make it harder to do yes (like any RPG out there) but hard stops shouldn't exist.
    Oh absolutely. And I'm not saying they got the balance right - I'd argue they didn't, in fact - but rather, the idea that they deliberately wrecked XP gains to sell a boost is nonsense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Great Destiny Man View Post
    Hasn't it mostly the last two games that have been like that though (genuine question because I haven't paid attention to the series for a long time)?
    Black Flag and Syndicate both took baby steps into 'huge world with bits of RPG stuff', but yeah, Origins/Odyssey were the ones that went all-in on the idea. Especially Odyssey.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Wait wait wait we're talking about historical accuracy in a series where you fought the pope while doing the electric boogaloo? And this was long before they ever started putting mythical beasts in the series which Origins and Odyssey did.

The only thing that has ever been close to trying to be historically accurate within AC is the locations themselves. IE Edge's Notre Dame reference or the Vatican in Bloodlines, the pyramids in Origins etc. After the point of historical landmarks historical accuracy go's right out the fucking window in AC.
    Yeah I agree. I just wanted to point out to that "history buff" that the vikings were more than just savages with a axe. THey were actually pretty good at that too.

Anyway. The game looks great. Its a nice time in history to create a new AC game, lots of great places and story to dwelve into. Oh and I wont care one bit about how Ubisoft presents vikings or whatever, cause I know what the AC concept it. Take a piece of history, maybe some truth and mix it with some fantasy etc. Hopefully it ends up as a great game.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can actually be a pretty terrible (as in horrible and murderous) person in Odyssey, to be fair.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.