Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Too late to start having fun in Classic?

So I started with classic when it launched. Superhyped of course. But I really hated that when a I got to Scarlet Monestary dungeons. It was all about spell cleave and melee cleave. I even tried to make my own groups. Informing it was a traditional quest run and I hardly found any people. The ones I got in, ninjapulled and aoed anyway.

I got so frustrated, because this behaviour is what I was trying to escape from retail.

I havent touched thst character since launch, but I am wondering about joining again.

Have the aoe groups toned down? Still possible to find guilds for MC, BWL and ZG etc? Is it possible to pug these things? Is everything about speedruns? I hate that.

Thanks
    Last edited by TorAndre; 2020-05-01 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TorAndre View Post
    So I started with classic when it launched. Superhyped of course. But I really hated that when a I got to Scarlet Monestary dungeons. It was all about spell cleave and melee cleave. I even tried to make my own groups. Informing it was a traditional quest run and I hardly found any people. The ones I got in, ninjapulled and aoed anyway.

I got so frustrated, because this behaviour is what I was trying to escape from retail.

I havent touched thst character since launch, but I am wondering about joining again.

Have the aoe groups toned down? Still possible to find guilds for MC, BWL and ZG etc? Is it possible to pug these things? Is everything about speedruns? I hate that.

Thanks
    so...the behaviour you tried to escape from retail is optimal play?lol sorry to tell ya but...these days,people have learned whats better,and very few will intentionaly gimp themselves for some odd sense of nostalgia,idk personaly i havent had any issues forming non ''meta'' groups for dungeons and just runing them at normal pace,but ofc we aoe....its just silly of you to expect people to play bad on purpose

I really don’t want to sound like a wet blanket but honestly it’s sort of worse now and this is also why I quit. The people just ruined it. At least on my server 90% of dungeon groups are just a level 60 aoe pulling the whole dungeon and charging everyone like 10g per run. Everytime I try to find a group or guild on my priest they almost always ‘require’ bullshit like world buffs, elixers, etc. I’m sure there are guilds you can find who aren’t like this, but they are hard to find.

I’m sure if you went to a small server maybe it will be better. Honestly I’m just waiting on tbc and just hoping to CHRIST the majority of players take it a little less serious just because of the time it takes to even get attunes and the extinction of world buffs and elixir stacking in raids. And if not I’ll just spend my time in arenas and pug kara groups

Quote Originally Posted by Synic12 View Post
    I really don’t want to sound like a wet blanket but honestly it’s sort of worse now and this is also why I quit. The people just ruined it. At least on my server 90% of dungeon groups are just a level 60 aoe pulling the whole dungeon and charging everyone like 10g per run. Everytime I try to find a group or guild on my priest they almost always ‘require’ bullshit like world buffs, elixers, etc. I’m sure there are guilds you can find who aren’t like this, but they are hard to find.

I’m sure if you went to a small server maybe it will be better. Honestly I’m just waiting on tbc and just hoping to CHRIST the majority of players take it a little less serious just because of the time it takes to even get attunes and the extinction of world buffs and elixir stacking in raids. And if not I’ll just spend my time in arenas and pug kara groups
    how can someone require world buffs for dungeons?those things arent up 24/7....having elixirs is a nice thing to make things smoother but i never seen it required,granted i play on a pve server and from what i have noticed,for the most part,the try hards and the more toxic arshats tend to flock to the pvp realms

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    how can someone require world buffs for dungeons?those things arent up 24/7....having elixirs is a nice thing to make things smoother but i never seen it required,granted i play on a pve server and from what i have noticed,for the most part,the try hards and the more toxic arshats tend to flock to the pvp realms
    If I said just for dungeons I’m sorry I meant raids. Dungeon groups are normally just filled with basic try hards reserving anything valuable in the run

I see. I am happy I asked. Everything about what you described there sounds extremely boring.

If I said just for dungeons I’m sorry I meant raids. Dungeon groups are normally just filled with basic try hards reserving anything valuable in the run
    well you cant rly blame people for reserving,if you think about it,you need item X from a boss,and if you always just join or make groups for that boss,odds are the people going there will go for the same reason,item X,and if you are always puging it,its posible to basicaly always lose the roll or take a long ass time,this is why PL is such a better system,they just whent overboard with it by forcing it in mythic raids,something that isnt pugged nearly as much

so...the behaviour you tried to escape from retail is optimal play?lol sorry to tell ya but...these days,people have learned whats better,and very few will intentionaly gimp themselves for some odd sense of nostalgia,idk personaly i havent had any issues forming non ''meta'' groups for dungeons and just runing them at normal pace,but ofc we aoe....its just silly of you to expect people to play bad on purpose
    Well I don't really care whats "bad" or "good" numerically in classic. Because I don't have to. Its all pretty easy if you play with people who just care about what they are doing.

Min-maxing in classic seems completely absurd unless you are doing like a Loatheb, 4 Horsemen, Kel Thuzad business.

My intention with classic is to chill, relax and enjoy the good stuff about it. There HAVE to be people who play it for the same reason, or?

- - - Updated - - -

well you cant rly blame people for reserving,if you think about it,you need item X from a boss,and if you always just join or make groups for that boss,odds are the people going there will go for the same reason,item X,and if you are always puging it,its posible to basicaly always lose the roll or take a long ass time,this is why PL is such a better system,they just whent overboard with it by forcing it in mythic raids,something that isnt pugged nearly as much
    It creates a hell a lot of toxicity and unfairness in a way though. Kinda goes against the core values people had back in the day in MMOs. Its a shame really.

- - - Updated - - -

Ye, maybe PVE realm is a good solution.

So thats another question. Do you think the a normal server is better suited for the thing I am looking for?

Well I don't really care whats "bad" or "good" numerically in classic. Because I don't have to. Its all pretty easy if you play with people who just care about what they are doing.

Min-maxing in classic seems completely absurd unless you are doing like a Loatheb, 4 Horsemen, Kel Thuzad business.

My intention with classic is to chill, relax and enjoy the good stuff about it. There HAVE to be people who play it for the same reason, or?

- - - Updated - - -

It creates a hell a lot of toxicity and unfairness in a way though. Kinda goes against the core values people had back in the day in MMOs. Its a shame really.

- - - Updated - - -

Ye, maybe PVE realm is a good solution.

So thats another question. Do you think the a normal server is better suited for the thing I am looking for?
    well for me who doesnt care about world pvp yeah,pve server is best,pvp servers for the most part are faction dominated,so you either end up getting massacred with zero chance to fight back,or you dominate the realm at the point where it basicaly becomes a pve server lol

aoe isnt min maxing,its just basic dungeon strategy,no1 is having fun by making a long dungeon last even longer

well for me who doesnt care about world pvp yeah,pve server is best,pvp servers for the most part are faction dominated,so you either end up getting massacred with zero chance to fight back,or you dominate the realm at the point where it basicaly becomes a pve server lol

aoe isnt min maxing,its just basic dungeon strategy,no1 is having fun by making a long dungeon last even longer
    I know a lots of people in retail who likes that in my current level experience at least.

But thanks for info.

15+ Year Old Account
    I laughed harder than I probably should have. Also, not sure what OP is on about, we AoE pulled in 2007 too. Sub 50 dungeons are beyond easy. 50-60 dungeons are standard easy. You remember the game being harder because everyone was garbage back then. Lots (most?) still are, but the average is much improved.

Thanks to Mipeo for pally's sig!

start playing, join a guild, this game is about beeing social and run with guildies, also yeah i agree all the boosting runs do kinda suck, again thats why ya have a guild, we run lower lvl dungs all the time becaus these days almost every one has atleast 1 or 2 alts, also we run a on the weekend mc/zg pug and bwl pugs are also a thing just more rare still, only down side to classic so far, is gathering world buffs and then having cunts dispell them or worse having a spriest mindcontrol you and run ya off the cliff in felwood but that are mainly pvp server problems. over all classic is still alive and kicking and my server(shazzrah) still has 500 to 1k queues most nights of the week.

You're always free to make your own group with blackjack and hookers if you don't like the rules for joining someone else's. "But their group will probably fill faster" "But I don't want to LEAD the group" etc, etc. Then accept those things have a cost and that's up to you to determine if that cost is worth it or not. It's not toxic for someone else who is bothering to do the most annoying part of the game (take the lead and assemble the group) also wants to minimize the number of times they have to do that by reserving loot.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcardNS View Post
    You remember the game being harder because everyone was garbage back then. Lots (most?) still are, but the average is much improved.
    Agree.

You'll find guilds fine, getting 40 people to reliably show up is still a challenge for most guilds, you'll get burnout and people quitting.

Dungeons groups are a bit... shit. Sadly the mindset of just "rush everything asap" is prevelant in Classic as it is in retail, and it's tough to find groups for a lot of dungeons that aren't boost groups.

Although i've logged into Retail lately and holy shit 99% of trade chat is people selling boosts for everything, it made me so sad. It's like people don't actually want to play the game anymore. It's not near that level in classic.

Its fine to start now, especially since half the content is still to be released.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Thanks
    It's worse now. At the start most groups were doing that stupid spell cleave (even the name itself doesn't make sense, you cleave with weapons in melee range, not with spells, that's what AoE stands for) and now most groups ask for boosts. It's quite sad really, you hardly find groups for dungeons bc everyone is doing SM with a 60 to boost them. In fact as soon as you ask for SM groups in LFG chat, 100% of the whispers you get is from lvl 60 mages telling you their "rates" to boost you lmao

Find a guild. PuG are always toxic. Find a guild. People do stupid things in random groups. Find a guild.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

The way you keep adamantly defending every valid point I’m making is seriously gross. If you don’t mind it then great, I wasn’t telling you how they are the OP asked.

There is only one reason to play Classic WOW: masochism. Everything about the game was worse in Classic - except the "community" aspect of the game, but even that was overrated.

I assume when TBC classic comes out and people hit 70 and head into heroic Blood Furnace in greens and the first naked orc punches them for 7k they might CC a few things.

In Blackrock Spire the first Scarshield Grunt mobs have a base melee damage of 541 according to classicdb and the Laughing Skull Enforcers at the start of heroic Blood Furnace have a base melee damage of 9,590 according to TBCdb. Even the 'hard' hitting Gordok Brutes in Dire Maul North have a base damage of 807.

Tank HP will be going from ~6,000 to ~13,000 but tank damage will be going up 1,500%-1,800%.
    Last edited by Nitros14; 2020-05-01 at 01:19 PM.