Thread: Heirloom tabard

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account

Heirloom tabard

Blizzard should add a tabard that provides a buff equal to the total xp buff given by a full set of heirlooms, but does not stack with any heirlooms. That way gear progression becomes a thing again whilst leveling for those who want it without sacrificing the xp buff or removing heirlooms for those who like them. The tabard is earned by having a set of heirlooms that are capped. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by the bear View Post
    Blizzard should add a tabard that provides a buff equal to the total xp buff given by a full set of heirlooms, but does not stack with any heirlooms. That way gear progression becomes a thing again whilst leveling for those who want it without sacrificing the xp buff or removing heirlooms for those who like them. The tabard is earned by having a set of heirlooms that are capped. Thoughts?
    I actually like this idea, nice one.
    And you actually made the way you could get it make sense.

This would also make leveling with the full heirloom bonus actually possible in BfA zones without having to sacrifice azerite gear.

Add this plz Blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Won't that completely nullify the expense laid out to level the heirlooms, as well as the point in having them? I like the idea of rolling everything into a single item, but it can't come at the cost of rendering the rest of your heirlooms redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxuvox View Post
    Won't that completely nullify the expense laid out to level the heirlooms, as well as the point in having them? I like the idea of rolling everything into a single item, but it can't come at the cost of rendering the rest of your heirlooms redundant.
    Why would they be redundant.

The tabard itself would give no stats, only the exp bonus. If you still wanted to have relatively strong gear while leveling you would still rather use the actual heirlooms.

What is gear progression while you're levelling? There are cases where if you're levelling efficiently and using your stacked buffs you can go up 2 levels off a single turn in, in early levels the base stat increase you get from the dings would outweigh the gear the quests give. That's without getting into weird passive-aggressive comment about how addicted to the skinner box dopamine hit someone has to be to care about green levelling gear from wrath.
    Functionally, there is also the use case of heirlooms covering the massive gear gaps that appear on your character (because you level so fast) that the tabard wouldn't solve, I can personally think of a time I didn't upgrade a pair of gloves from like tbc to cata.

Really to me, it seems like people are coming up with 'solutions' to a 'problem' that doesn't exist because some altoholic decided to make a blog post about his nostalgia boner yesterday.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are we even going to desire heirlooms after the level squish?
    Heirlooms was another added layer to make levelling alts faster, but with the new system in place we won't be running through several expansions of content to reach max level.

Don't believe this will be needed at all to be brutally honest.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    thats... actually a great idea, i would love this being earned with an achiev instead of the lvl 1 mount. This way I can still be happy to upgrade my gear normally AND still get xp buff.

Amazing, first actual good post on MMOC for years

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NabyBro View Post
    I actually like this idea, nice one.
    And you actually made the way you could get it make sense.

This would also make leveling with the full heirloom bonus actually possible in BfA zones without having to sacrifice azerite gear.

Add this plz Blizzard.
    Azerite gear might be gone https://twitter.com/MrGMYT/status/1255882408060207104

- - - Updated - - -

that's a sensible idea. keep heirloom armor for those that like it. have an alternative for those who don't

10+ Year Old Account
    I like it.

I actually dislike Heirlooms for this exact reason. Levelling is an aspect of the game that can already be quite boring, and taking the gear progression away reduces a lot of what WoW ultimately is. The fact that it is the levelling phase is an irrelevant factor to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Nah. I mean if you want gear progression while leveling (granted each piece will last you probably 10-20 minutes with the new leveling system) then you can do it without heirloom. You basically have a choice (which people complain they never do) and that's either have a slightly faster leveling time or use items you get an upgrade. Yes, one will always be superior in different scenarios, but in any RPG that is always the case. People will gravitate to whatever is "best".

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Levelling is an aspect of the game that can already be quite boring, and taking the gear progression away reduces a lot of what WoW ultimately is. The fact that it is the levelling phase is an irrelevant factor to me.
    So you will miss change your gear every 10-20 minutes? Essentially that's what you'll be doing in Shadowlands.

Quote Originally Posted by vitor210 View Post
    thats... actually a great idea, i would love this being earned with an achiev instead of the lvl 1 mount. This way I can still be happy to upgrade my gear normally AND still get xp buff.

Amazing, first actual good post on MMOC for years
    So basically make it easier for people who are lazy to upgrade their heirlooms and go to a system where you basically will be upgrading your gear every 10-15 minutes? Not sure how that is a great idea or good post, but to each their own I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxuvox View Post
    Maybe you can only buy/upgrade the tabard once you've got a full set of every armor type.

It's not a terrible idea, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    So basically make it easier for people who are lazy to upgrade their heirlooms and go to a system where you basically will be upgrading your gear every 10-15 minutes? Not sure how that is a great idea or good post, but to each their own I guess?
    I don't get how you get "too lazy to upgrade heirlooms from the suggestion states "as a reward for upgrading all other heirlooms". It would work super easy with the current heirloom upgrading system as they could roll out new achievement every expansion where upgrading the heirlooms to the new cap provides the tabard upgrade item. I, among other people, like the XP boost but dislikes not upgrading the gear while we are leveling. Seeing as this is an addition that really doesn't take away anything from the old system it sounds great to me!

10+ Year Old Account
    So you will miss change your gear every 10-20 minutes? Essentially that's what you'll be doing in Shadowlands.
    Yeah? I'm quite familiar how expansion launches work, thanks.

I don't quite understand what you are trying to say here. What's wrong with natural gear progression? Sure, it's only for the levelling when it comes to Heirlooms, but it's still a fun aspect of the game that Heirlooms take away.
    Last edited by Santti; 2020-05-01 at 11:22 AM.
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Yeah? I'm quite familiar how expansion launches work, thanks.

I don't quite understand what you are trying to say here. What's wrong with natural gear progression?
    What I said had absolutely nothing to do with expansion launches. The only thing Shadowlands indicated was that my comment was about how the new system works so comparisons aren't made to the current. Granted even the current isn't anything to phone home about.

The thing about leveling is that none of it is natural gear progression. It's just equip what drops. Nothing special or unique about it. It's the same system used at max level, minus various things that adjust such as sockets, corruption, etc. There is nothing meaningful, fun or natural about every quest or dungeon boss you kill you are replacing gear and most of the time it is gear that you just replaced.

It'd be one thing if Level 1-50 used the same gear ilvl but came with varying bonuses that made it meaningful and natural like you find in other RPG's. Instead this is just a "Hey this drop, time to plop it on without even thinking about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Xaviaton View Post
    I, among other people, like the XP boost but dislikes not upgrading the gear while we are leveling. Seeing as this is an addition that really doesn't take away anything from the old system it sounds great to me!
    See above for the explanation. Right-clicking every couple minutes with a new item doesn't make it better, meaningful or fun. If anything it just takes away more time of opening bags, clicking gear. Yes it's only a few seconds but adds up over time. There is nothing special about Level 1-50 gear that makes it worth the time or effort to actually just click the new piece you got.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nah. I mean if you want gear progression while leveling (granted each piece will last you probably 10-20 minutes with the new leveling system) then you can do it without heirloom. You basically have a choice (which people complain they never do) and that's either have a slightly faster leveling time or use items you get an upgrade. Yes, one will always be superior in different scenarios, but in any RPG that is always the case. People will gravitate to whatever is "best".

you literally took the time to reply to 3 random dudes just bc you disagree with this? Feels like you're trying too hard to make "your point"

You'd just be fucking yourself with it. The biggest boon of heirlooms, after the EXP buffs, is that they scale. Once you remove that feature you end up in that weird place where you outscale the contnt but your gear can't keep up at all (already the case, but it would be worse with your idea). Your gear would be constantly behind in almost every single slot, you won't be so much experiencing gear progression as you will just wishing there was some new gear finally to match your level (and the scaling that comes from it).
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    What I said had absolutely nothing to do with expansion launches. The only thing Shadowlands indicated was that my comment was about how the new system works so comparisons aren't made to the current. Granted even the current isn't anything to phone home about.

The thing about leveling is that none of it is natural gear progression. It's just equip what drops. Nothing special or unique about it. It's the same system used at max level, minus various things that adjust such as sockets, corruption, etc. There is nothing meaningful, fun or natural about every quest or dungeon boss you kill you are replacing gear and most of the time it is gear that you just replaced.

It'd be one thing if Level 1-50 used the same gear ilvl but came with varying bonuses that made it meaningful and natural like you find in other RPG's. Instead this is just a "Hey this drop, time to plop it on without even thinking about it."

See above for the explanation. Right-clicking every couple minutes with a new item doesn't make it better, meaningful or fun. If anything it just takes away more time of opening bags, clicking gear. Yes it's only a few seconds but adds up over time. There is nothing special about Level 1-50 gear that makes it worth the time or effort to actually just click the new piece you got.
    I heavily disagree with pretty much everything here. It is fun, and it is natural for games like WoW. Heirlooms are an aberration to what WoW has been when it comes to items. You equating to other RPG's is pointless, since it's not even true to all RPG's. Take Diablo series for example.

Having new and more powerful gear you earned is a one of the core identities of WoW. It's one of the reasons why it's also very addicting. Intermittent reward system. Look it up.

Look, the same thing happened when the talent system got redesigned. People really missed the feeling of having a level up coming with a talent point. It didn't matter if the talent was 1% to something. It was something to look forward to. Cutting the talent tree to meaningful, few choices reduced feeling of reward you got, even if the few were much more impactful.

This is the same thing with heirlooms, items, and gear progression. For both levelling and when maxed. Yes, it's only a simple right click on the item, but that's not the point. It might be "meaningless" in the long term, but the gear you earn and replace is a constant source of you achieving something.

It's also why I'm not too big a fan of the items that stay the whole expansion, that lock item slots. Like our weapons in Legion, or the necklace in BfA. And also why I think Warforging is a system that should definitely stay.
    Last edited by Santti; 2020-05-01 at 11:59 AM.

I would love it. I would rather they remove the gear too and put everything into a tabard you can upgrade.

Heirlooms destroyed leveling. But now we have enough ways to level in SL half of us never really touched again. WoD leveling was amazing.
    But the 2 things you get while leveling is 1) Levels an 2) Gear. take one out and it is a boring mess you just grind through. No excitement. Without the gear alltogether low level BGs could be a thing too.

Heirloom tabard available from Heirloom tab, freedom to equip it on or off, and you still have option to use Heirlooms as gear if they need to.
    Yeah I like it.

Maybe there could be different xp tabards: One that gives all xp, one that turns off xp, and one that takes away xp.

An Heirloom tabard would be really cool for old Rep farming. I guess there could be like 1 heirloom per each xpac, that way you could catch up on old reps.