Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    MMO-RPGs are unpopular by default if compared to other games. WoW made 'em a little more famous but before it, people avoided mmorpgs due to the necessity of grouping to do content.

They were games that you played by not playing.
    This is a thing I dislike about WoW. Alas, Blizzard hasn't done a full RPG yet.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    Based off of how much people complain about any event that interrupts their daily routine, it's fair to say that Blizzard did try events like this before and they just don't work out.
    Yeah but you gotta admit, seeing an invasion that needed an entire server to snuff out to save a capital city led by a boss mob controlled and role played by a GM sounds kinda fun

As long as it didn’t permanently ruin people’s fun

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Yeah but you gotta admit, seeing an invasion that needed an entire server to snuff out to save a capital city led by a boss mob controlled and role played by a GM sounds kinda fun

As long as it didn’t permanently ruin people’s fun
    I absolutely loved nonsense like that. Ragnarok Online would do this occasionally, although it was more haphazard boss spawning, it was still a blast. The TBC pre-event and Wrath pre-event were some of the best things to ever happen in WoW, but faced massive criticism. Hell the Cata pre-event was extremely subdued in comparison, but because occasionally people would be leveling in a zone that got like a 30 minute flyover event, a ton of people complained.

The community is equal parts the best part and the worst part of WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't hear people complaining or comparing WoW to other MMO's at all. To each their own I suppose.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    There's nothing that doesn't belong in an MMO. If it can be well integrated into the game and the players enjoy it, then it's fine.

There's no such List of Approved Activities For MMORPG Development. No High Council of the MMORPG that will fine blizzard for adding "unapproved content" to their game.

"tHiS dOeSn'T bElOnG iN aN mMo" is nothing more than a useless whine that essentially means "I don't like it."

Take Torghast for example. Some people are whining that it's "soloable content." Those people? Fuck 'em. Torghast looks like fun. Let them whine.
    I would agree with this. Look at ... pet battles. It's not really the first mmo feature you think of. They are in the game, they are fine, you don't have the missing out feeling. But then look at WoD, and BfA. Garrisons would have been fine. But as a standalone flagship feature that had to carry WoD and they spent all resources on the assets? For sure you can just unsub and come back later, but after how many failed attempts do you severe all ties with the game you once loved? And it's not like WoW - or any mmo for that matter - would be a hot game, a new player magnet (especially with today's player trends)... One expac is 2 years. I started to play wow when I was 25. Now I'm 38. Imagine what WoD could have been. I was so hungry for some BC nostalgy. Such a wasted potential. BfA says hello too with mainly warfronts but to a lesser extent islands... What I'm saying is that everything can be fine until the game has it's main attraction. Interestingly up until we didn't have flagship features (garrisons, legiondaries+artifacts, azerite etc) the game was solid. Problems started when they desperately tried to make features out of thin air and put the whole expansion on top of it. And since these all cost money for the studio to make, understandably there is a competition between "good ol'" features and these new ones that last only one expansion, because apparently they can't do BOTH. Imagine if pet battles were the flagship feature of MoP. Ouch.

Thorgast is really interesting. I see most streamers (read: mostly competitive players who live off of sitting in front of the camera and the game making money from in game content) hyping up thorgast. If you think about it: its a streamer goldmine. We will see how it will stand for 2 years.
    Last edited by Lei; 2020-05-05 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the bear View Post
    I don't really hear that... when comparisons to that effect pop up on these forums it is usually between early WoW and modern WoW. so the golden era of MMOs was early WoW and people feel WoW is deviating from what made early WoW great.
    Obviously not in the west LOL

15+ Year Old Account
    We're in a transition phase. I've seen people playing other MMOs. I've personally been playing Fallout 76 and enjoying it; it ticks a lot of boxes I like from an MMO, but it doesn't annoy the living crap out of me like WoW does..

Like how I logged on my main on retail for the first time in months to do visions, ended up just doing dailies, flew around lost for 30 minutes looking for a cache, took me like 5 minutes to remember what portals to take to go where, like 5 loading screens later. Stared at my essence screen for 10 minutes trying to remember what does what. When I get on my alt I can never remember the route to the flight master in Stormwind, it's hidden away. Have to wait for a party to do anything, have to stare at a LFG list of like 50 entries. If I don't play tank role, sometimes I'll just be stuck in queue forever. Questing is really boring and fragmented and the rewards are really bad even though some of the quests have you doing mind numbing things that take forever that you skip most of the time. Leveling and end game are completely separate from each other, your main has nothing to do in between queue times at max level, you can only be queued for certain things simultaneously, you can't just turn on Warmode anywhere, world quests are annoying and bad and take forever and the rewards for spending your time are realllllly bad. The crafting in WoW is really simple and bad and you're better off just skipping it while you level.

You can just write a book about how WoW does not reward you for time spent. It used to, but not anymore. I do and would play 76 over Retail WoW any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    We're in a transition phase. I've seen people playing other MMOs. I've personally been playing Fallout 76 and enjoying it; it ticks a lot of boxes I like from an MMO, but it doesn't annoy the living crap out of me like WoW does..

Like how I logged on my main on retail for the first time in months to do visions, ended up just doing dailies, flew around lost for 30 minutes looking for a cache, took me like 5 minutes to remember what portals to take to go where, like 5 loading screens later. Stared at my essence screen for 10 minutes trying to remember what does what. When I get on my alt I can never remember the route to the flight master in Stormwind, it's hidden away. Have to wait for a party to do anything, have to stare at a LFG list of like 50 entries. If I don't play tank role, sometimes I'll just be stuck in queue forever. Questing is really boring and fragmented and the rewards are really bad even though some of the quests have you doing mind numbing things that take forever that you skip most of the time. Leveling and end game are completely separate from each other, your main has nothing to do in between queue times at max level, you can only be queued for certain things simultaneously, you can't just turn on Warmode anywhere, world quests are annoying and bad and take forever and the rewards for spending your time are realllllly bad. The crafting in WoW is really simple and bad and you're better off just skipping it while you level.

You can just write a book about how WoW does not reward you for time spent. It used to, but not anymore. I do and would play 76 over Retail WoW any day of the week.
    I think they chased after players who wanted busy work rather then any kind of challenge. Least that is the only thing that makes sense to me why we have such a warped reward system.

No one decides what belongs into a "true" mmorpg and what not, that notion is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    Hell a lot of MMOs dont even really have leveling, gear, or PVP Wow is LITERALLY the gold standard of that stuff but people tend to talk like there was a million other games that do it better/did it better.
    A lot of MMO's don't have that? I can't think of a single MMO that DOESN'T have leveling, gear, and pvp. And no, WoW is not the gold standard in those departments. Leveling in WoW is basically the over stretched tutorial players rush through to get to the end game. All gear becomes obsolete with each expansion, which is some insane power creep. And PvP is always an unbalanced mess. Even for the 3v3 arenas Blizzard loves to stream, it's a joke that they have to dampen healing down until someone can actually die.

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    Usually when used on this forum that line comes from one of the folks that just desperately want to hate something about WoW and delude themselves into thinking that another "real" MMO does things sooo muuuch better, be it ESO, SWTOR or FF14.

In reality you are quite correct. Everquest started the MMO genre and WoW basically perfected the model, there is nothing before that, that could count as an MMO and set some strange guidelines as to what does or doesn't belong in an MMO.
    I'd argue WoW and EVE Online perfected the model. Though, EVE went in the more hardcore route.
    Spreadsheets to do spreadsheets about spreadsheets about what you need for the current war Goon Squad is involved in.
    Shout out to Scott Manley for his involvement in the Fountain War, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    A lot of MMO's don't have that? I can't think of a single MMO that DOESN'T have leveling, gear, and pvp. And no, WoW is not the gold standard in those departments. Leveling in WoW is basically the over stretched tutorial players rush through to get to the end game. All gear becomes obsolete with each expansion, which is some insane power creep. And PvP is always an unbalanced mess. Even for the 3v3 arenas Blizzard loves to stream, it's a joke that they have to dampen healing down until someone can actually die.
    Someone died? Sounds like they didn't run triple holy again

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post

Ah yes, the same 76 that notoriously bombed its launch and barely hangs on.

WoW is the gold standard of the genre, it is the golden era itself.

Every MMO wishes it were WoW or rather, every studio wishes it had WoW.

The critiques or frustrations some of us share and discuss are coming from a desire to have the game feel better, because everything can always be better, but not because some bizarre trashy weeb online nonsense was ever doing better than WoW.