Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    This sorta goes for any race that can, presumably, weild the light.

I know some of you are already rolling your eyes amd probably muttering "furry agenda" under your breath(or maybe shouting it while laughing). But given that mant new race/class combos are being made available, and that previous restrictions based on "lore" seem to going out the window.....is there any legitimate reason why every race(barring forsaken maybe) shouldn't theoretically be able to become a paladin?

I don't really have any stake in this argument. It's not going to hurt my feelings if it never happens. The thought crossed my mind, and it seems like it would be funny, and probably make a lot of players happy.

What do you guys think? And be honest. Take into consideration that interdimensional space goat zealots of the light flying crystal ships exist, and that time traveling orcs from another planet are a playable race as well, not to mention "British" werewolf priests and deathknights. So don't use the argument that it doesn't make sense. Because nothing in wow actually does.

I'd say "serious arguments only", but that sort of went put the window with panda deathknights. Soooo......yeah. So if the the minotaurs can be paladins, and the trolls can be paladins, why not the pandas and the vulpera and the werewolves too?
    Because anyone can be trained to be a DK, only those in touch with "The Light", can be Paladins.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsgrace View Post
    Because anyone can be trained to be a DK, only those in touch with "The Light", can be Paladins.
    That's basically what churches and temples are for. Any race can go to any of these places to receive insight and training from established religious leaders in the setting, and writings from scrolls and tomes with teachings of the various religions in the setting are spread far and wide and available to a great many of the races to the extent that only (Orgrimmar) Orcs and Highmountain Tauren don't have (playable) Priests. Being in touch with whatever faith has already been established with all the other races having access to Priests, so that isn't an issue. With orders like the Argent Dawn, Argent Crusade, and Order of the Silver Hand all neutral, no race can say they don't have the opportunity to learn in some capacity whether it be from visiting a place of worship, reading texts, or gaining employ in a faction that trains these soldiers of the Light. Races can also train themselves through introspection. Even the smallest connection of faith can be strengthened on their own, it isn't like people can't train themselves to be powerful Priests or Paladins on their own - they certainly can, or the first Priests and Paladins would never have existed. It's not like the deities are the ones who decide who is worthy or not based on biological limitations. The power is granted to any of faith of any description as long as it is strong enough, and this is something that can be taught and be trained independently with self-study, self-reflection, and (quite appropriately) self-discipline. And because of the reach of any various evil in the world, the concept of warriors who protect and heal and vanquish those evils would be welcome in most if not all corners of the world - which is probably why most Paladin orders at this point have all become neutral, as together is the best manner in which to push back the darkness as we saw with the Argent Crusade fighting the Scourge most notably under the leadership of Tirion Fordring who accepted all under the banner to fight back evil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    What Lore is left? and IMO the Lore has always been shit the best lore form this franchise has always been the novels. I could care less about the Lore for the most part at this point, Id just like to have Forsaken Paladins and maybe some actual interesting Races for the Alliance.
    Ah yes, "Forsaken Paladins"

Because they wouldn't immediately implode when casting Exorcism . . .

Why don't we have Light Forged Draenei warlocks while we're at it, because it'd make total sense for beings that worship the light to take on fel magic and summon demons . . .

"What lore is left!" Okay, let's make it even worse then! House is on fire, go fetch the oil.
    Last edited by Adam Jensen; 2020-05-06 at 11:08 PM.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Ah yes, "Forsaken Paladins"

Because they wouldn't immediately implode when casting Exorcism . . .

Why don't we have Light Forged Draenei warlocks while we're at it, because it'd make total sense for beings that worship the light to take on fel magic and summon demons . . .

"What lore is left!" Okay, let's make it even worse then! House is on fire, go fetch the oil.
    You mean like Paladins who get to do extra damage against Forsaken in PvP?
    OH WAIT, they don't.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Citing "lore doesn't support it" simply doesn't make any sense because nothing in WoW lore makes any sense. We have a literal giant sword piercing the crust of the planet, FFS!
    And we saw how it got there, so it actually does make sense within the lore. Congrats on proving yourself wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ymirsson View Post
    You mean like Paladins who get to do extra damage against Forsaken in PvP?
    OH WAIT, they don't.
    Lorewise they should have.
    Gameplay wise it would have been overpowered.
    Putin khuliyo

5+ Year Old Account
    People arguing about Pandaren cant be paladins....

yet they forget Chi-Ji is referred to as the Spirit of Hope, he has his own order aaaaand....

Chi-ji relic made light of dawn really intense.

3+ Year Old Account
    According to the lore, there is really no reason for any race to not be able to be a paladin. We're talking about the primordial force of creation and positivity, it's something that has been around since the dawn of the universe. Due to that, how there are races that don't venerate the Light in some way makes less sense in the context of the lore, from my perspective. Not to mention, gaining the power of the Light doesn't even mean that you worship the Holy Light to begin with. As was previously stated, the Tauren wield the power of the Light because they worship a sun goddess, the Trolls because they revere spirits of nature.

The only requirement for wielding the power of the Light is to have devotion to your ideals. The Scarlet Crusade, having committed the atrocities they did, still commanded the Light because they believed their cause was righteous. So with that being said, it stands to reason that at some point in Pandaren history (or any other race's history), there was in fact a "paladin." I mean come on, they have priests, so it only makes sense that there has been a warrior-priest somewhere in Pandaria. The same can be said for every other race.

Now, people always mention the influence that a culture has on playable classes. This makes sense, because our characters are representatives from a specific culture of humans, orcs, etc. In spite of the fact that warlocks are a thing for most races, the player character is not intended to be a radical outlier within their society. We aren't on the fringe, we're right smack dab in the middle of everything and not only does our entire people exalt us for our heroism but the races that we are allied with as well. Our characters are celebrities, role models to essentially everyone around us. So that's why warlock doesn't really make sense for many of the races, and paladins don't exist in many of their cultures.

they will be able to be paladins when night elves can be paladins using light of elune.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    They don't have any knowledge or connection with it. Their priest draw their power from their faith in the Celestials. When the Alliance pandaren are walking through Stormwind on their way to meet with Varian a citizen mentions the Light and Aysa is like "What's the Light?"
    To be fair, it would be quite cool to have Celestial Paladins with spells and effect based on them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Paladins require faith in the Light. Pandaren dont worship the light. They worship the Celestials.

Anyone can be a DK if they are killed and raised with the proper rituals.

Pandaren as deathknights...wtf is wrong with that...

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    And we saw how it got there, so it actually does make sense within the lore. Congrats on proving yourself wrong.
    Right...i forgot how logical and sensical it was that space satan showed up in a cloud of smoke to stab the planet.

But every race learning to use a power, available everywhere, simply by believing in it is out of the question.

Guys....Im sooooooo wrong!

Look, I think you may have missed the point here. When the entire universe of WoW is based on absurdities, it makes no sense to claim that something else is too absurd to be allowed.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2020-05-07 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    To be fair, it would be quite cool to have Celestial Paladins with spells and effect based on them.
    Someone needs to make some fanart of that. I just had some cool images bounce through my head.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Pandaren as deathknights...wtf is wrong with that...
    Pre-Shadowlands update death knights were members of races who could have been in and around the Plaguelands up to the beginning of Wrath to have been killed by the Scourge, had their bodies brought to Acherus, and raised by the Lich King as death knights. The fact that there was a pandaren outside Pandaria and the Wandering Isles besides Chen to become a death knight in the form of that follower in WoD was a shock. Having them playable before Shadowlands would be patently ridiculous.

- - - Updated - - -

Right...i forgot how logical and sensical it was that space satan showed up in a cloud of smoke to stab the planet.

But every race learning to use a power, available everywhere, simply by believing in it is out of the question.

Guys....Im sooooooo wrong!

Look, I think you may have missed the point here. When the entire universe of WoW is based on absurdities, it makes no sense to claim that something else is too absurd to be allowed.
    The fact that you resort to absurd names for things to try to distract from the fact you have no argument besides "well nothing makes sense so anything should be allowed" you really should give up on arguing lore.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because being a paladin requires a special connection to the Light, and years of specific training. Being a DK is as simply as being rezzed by the Lich King... They're 2 extremely different things...
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

Is anyone ever gonna explain why they think Pandaren shouldn't be DKs? What about you OP? @SirCowdog
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    Paladins require faith in the Light. Pandaren dont worship the light. They worship the Celestials.

Anyone can be a DK if they are killed and raised with the proper rituals.
    Tauren and Zandalari paladins would like to say hello. Neither uses the Light. Sunwalkers have An'she and Zandalari Prelates had Rezan (not sure who now).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Synros View Post
    Because being a paladin requires a special connection to the Light, and years of specific training. Being a DK is as simply as being rezzed by the Lich King... They're 2 extremely different things...
    Like I've said multiple times in this thread, Tauren and Zandalari paladins do not use the Light. Sunwalkers have An'she and Zandalari have their loa.

Because Blizzard has fucked up Lore that is why.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    . Having them playable before Shadowlands would be patently ridiculous.
    Any point after Bolvar took the mantle of lich king and started raising new DKs, every race on Azeroth should have been available to play as a DK. The moment pandarians started interacting with the rest of the world they should have been playable as DKs.

That's of course barring time travel shennanigans or alternate dimension crap, or explanations like "Just like Stormsnout, my panda also left tge wandering isle".

Basically, due to how inconsistent, ridiculous, contradictory, and full of retcon the "lore" is, a person with even a poor imagination can come up with a reasonable explanation for just about anything.

Which brings me back to the point: Other than "cuz blizz said so", is there any reason why all race/class combos shouldn't be available? Given how wrong blizz has been about other things in the past, I don't even think "cuz blizz said so" is a very good argument.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Is anyone ever gonna explain why they think Pandaren shouldn't be DKs? What about you OP? @SirCowdog
    Why shouldn't they be? I never made any suggestion or implication otherwise.

Why shouldn't they be? I never made any suggestion or implication otherwise.
    You said:
    I'd say "serious arguments only", but that sort of went put the window with panda deathknights.
    Now why would they go out the window with Pandaren DKs? Can you explain that?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing