Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account

Unhappy My pre-Covid-19 2020 disaster prediction...

Before the covid-19 crisis I was happy for the unusually 'warm' winter here in Europe, but at the same time mighty worried, this is the first time winter didn't really come for me, grass stayed green throughout instead of turning a sickly yellowish color..

I have seen mild winters, I saw the trend with global warming, but for winter one year not to even show? Oh, there has been some snow, it quickly melted away, but actual winter requires x days/night in a row to be x cold to officially count as winter, and that never happened this year..

Maybe not 2020, could be next year or the next, I think something huyyge will be released from the north n south poles, not just another iceberg, but more like a freakin mountain range sized, small-country-sized object will slide into the ocean, I can't shake the feeling/dread that we are on the verge of some great disaster, I don't know if it'll drop all at once, hopefully not, I wouldn't want to live in a coastal city when that happens...

Anyone else seeing the writing on the wall
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-05-07 at 06:33 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Meh 2020 divide by 5 gets us 404, this year is nothing but a glitch in the matrix

Well, can anyone remember all the warnings about taking antibiotics for almost any reason?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Before the covid-19 crisis I was happy for the unusually 'warm' winter here in Europe, but at the same time mighty worried, this is the first time winter didn't really come for me, grass stayed green throughout instead of turning a sickly yellowish color..

I have seen mild winters, I saw the trend with global warming, but for winter one year not to even show? Oh, there has been some snow, it quickly melted away, but actual winter requires x days/night in a row to be x cold to officially count as winter, and that never happened this year..

Maybe not 2020, could be next year or the next, I think something huyyge will be released from the north n south poles, not just another iceberg, but more like a freakin mountain range sized, small-country-sized object will slide into the ocean, I can't shake the feeling/dread that we are on the verge of some great disaster, I don't know if it'll drop all at once, hopefully not, I wouldn't want to live in a coastal city when that happens...

Anyone else seeing the writing on the wall
    If you really do believe a "huyyge" disaster is coming then the solution is to stop investing at zero elevation and instead invest at a higher elevation that isn't near the coastline.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah that is actually impossible.

You are not going to see a rapid sea level increase at any coastline anywhere.

Firstly the North pole is sea ice. There is no landmass under the north pole. And when sea ice melts/ breaks up; sea level does not increase.
    The south pole is net gaining ice; growing sea ice. But losing land ice, so pushing ice into the sea. This and other landmasses losing ice (greenland ect) will very gradually increase sea level.
    But to emphasize this is exceedingly slow. Over 100 years your not looking at meters of sea lvl rise, projections show centimetres; less than half a meter.
    The only people who have to worry within our lifetimes are very low elevation islanders.

Should be fairly obvious however that over such a large time-span, a change like this means absolutely nothing to humans.
    Animals that live in arctic regions and cant adapt on the other hand will face issues, they already are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Youth... there will always be a catastrophe and there will always be people who interpret them as some greater sign.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    If you really do believe a "huyyge" disaster is coming then the solution is to stop investing at zero elevation and instead invest at a higher elevation that isn't near the coastline.
    Yeah, like Ben Shapiro said... just sell the flooding land... ignore the logical problem.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

5+ Year Old Account
    But I have bad feeling...

Still, eartrh is no colder then its been for a long time. Im not worried at all abouit earth, about people feeling cold sure, then have to get used to it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Yeah, like Ben Shapiro said... just sell the flooding land... ignore the logical problem.
    If you own land in a flood zone then yeah sell it if you want to and then someone else could get a good deal on that land. It's up to each person to decide what they think will happen in the future and if people want to live and build near the coast then it's up to them to make those decisions based on their risk assessment.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-05-07 at 08:40 PM.

And no law that can be made to ensure any prospective buyer to find out the problem with the purchase.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you own land in a flood zone then yeah sell it if you want to and then someone else could get a good deal on that land. It's up to each person to decide what they think will happen in the future and if people want to live and build near the coast then it's up to them to make those decisions based on their risk assessment.
    What are the buyers going to do with flooded land? The idea to just sell the land is idiotic, because the next person has to sell the land, than the next... it’s a logical fallacy... turtles all the way down.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    And no law that can be made to ensure any prospective buyer to find out the problem with the purchase.
    Selling the land to someone else, doesn’t mean that someone doesn’t own worthless land. They will then sell it too? Then again? Then again?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

7+ Year Old Account
    What are the buyers going to do with flooded land? The idea to just sell the land is idiotic, because the next person has to sell the land, than the next... It’s a logical fallacy... turtles all the way down.
    Heh touche, basically everything is turtles all the way down. We can't ultimately explain anything that we think, but that doesn't change the fact that we have to think something...
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-05-08 at 06:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heh touche, we can't ultimately explain anything that we think, but that doesn't change the fact that we have to think something...
    Well, no... either Ben Shapiro is a reactionary that couldn’t think for a minute or he is an idiot.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well, no... either Ben Shapiro is a reactionary that couldn’t think for a minute or he is an idiot.
    Okay but I can't even listen to Ben Shapiro for more than 10 seconds without getting a headache... When it comes to the Daily Wire crew the only person I can listen to without my head instantly exploding is Andrew Klavan.

FEMA Bought 44,000 Flood-Prone Homes. They May Have to Buy Millions More

America’s Great Climate Exodus Is Starting in the Florida Keys

The Great Climate Retreat is beginning with tiny steps, like taxpayer buyouts for homeowners in flood-prone areas from Staten Island, New York, to Houston and New Orleans — and now Rittel’s Marathon Key. Florida, the state with the most people and real estate at risk, is just starting to buy homes, wrecked or not, and bulldoze them to clear a path for swelling seas before whole neighborhoods get wiped off the map.

This wouldn't be happening if people read and followed a 200 year-old document.

Quote Originally Posted by Ettan View Post
    Nah that is actually impossible.

You are not going to see a rapid sea level increase at any coastline anywhere.

Firstly the North pole is sea ice. There is no landmass under the north pole. And when sea ice melts/ breaks up; sea level does not increase.
    The south pole is net gaining ice; growing sea ice. But losing land ice, so pushing ice into the sea. This and other landmasses losing ice (greenland ect) will very gradually increase sea level.
    But to emphasize this is exceedingly slow. Over 100 years your not looking at meters of sea lvl rise, projections show centimetres; less than half a meter.
    The only people who have to worry within our lifetimes are very low elevation islanders.

Should be fairly obvious however that over such a large time-span, a change like this means absolutely nothing to humans.
    Animals that live in arctic regions and cant adapt on the other hand will face issues, they already are.
    Bolded part not strictly true. The ice in the North Pole has a lower density than the sea water it's floating on. Thus the floating ice has a larger volume than the salt water it displaces. That said, the estimated contribution to sea level rise if the North Pole melted is really rather small (like 4cm?)

https://academic.oup.com/gji/article/170/1/145/2019346

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    This wouldn't be happening if people read and followed a 200 year-old document.
    wtf does the constitution have to do with any of this?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Good with all the stupid social justice bullshit and authoritarian liberals trying to seize all our rights it’s time for the world to end

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethxx View Post
    Good with all the stupid social justice bullshit and authoritarian liberals trying to seize all our rights it’s time for the world to end
    are you for real here?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.