Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I think it is, there just isn't much incentive to group up in the world. Classic certainly does it better, but retail is still an MMO.

As for the RPG part? I think Legion tried to be. BFA threw it out the window alongside any semblance of fun class design.

7+ Year Old Account
    Moonguard/Goldshite is that a way --->

Quote Originally Posted by quite an expert in wow View Post
    just because you don't interact with people, use teleports etc. does not mean it's not an MMORPG anymore

literally all the bold words are present and will always be.

maybe blizzard should change the genre to mmorpg for literally the entire world except for member 1328245 on mmo-champion
    Yes it actualy means its not mmorpg. Mmorpgs intend is to force grouping and interacting with other players. If wow is still mmorpg game and social aspect become optional than every single game right now is mmo game as every single game have option to be social and interact with other players. Mmorpg = making playing with others mandatory.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elias01 View Post
    Mmorpg = making playing with others mandatory.
    Didn't plan on replying to an 8+ month necro'd topic but this is literally the dumbest-ass definition of an MMO that I've ever seen. A game doesn't stop being an MMO just because it doesn't force you to group up at all times.

Utterly clueless.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2020-05-09 at 02:42 PM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by d00mh4cker View Post
    It lacks some of the criteria to be considered a mmo.
    From wiki.

Massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPGs) are a combination of role-playing video games and massively multiplayer online games in which a very large number of players interact with one another within a virtual world.

It can be discusses. Since everything is instanced and the world is smaller then 1/3 of Kalimdor it sure doesn't feel like an mmo.
    Interact? Cant remember last time I interacted with someone, enter a m+ group without saying a word count? Might aswell be bots playing.

You teleport from one place to another, thats what you do.

It's so stupid that I can't even see guild mates standing next to me if we're not in party. I have to group up with my guild mates in order to trade them or inspect them even if we stand next to eachother.
    No, it can't be discussed. Because nothing you say takes away any of the following things. It's Online, it's massive, it's multiplayer and it either is still an RPG or never was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elias01 View Post
    Yes it actualy means its not mmorpg. Mmorpgs intend is to force grouping and interacting with other players. If wow is still mmorpg game and social aspect become optional than every single game right now is mmo game as every single game have option to be social and interact with other players. Mmorpg = making playing with others mandatory.
    So LoL and CoD are both MMOs then?

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoTorres View Post
    world of warcraft looks like more a MOBA than a MMORPG to me, thats why classic is making sucess
    this comment aged as good as milk

It can be discusses. Since everything is instanced and the world is smaller then 1/3 of Kalimdor it sure doesn't feel like an mmo.
    Interact? Cant remember last time I interacted with someone, enter a m+ group without saying a word count? Might aswell be bots playing.
    Social interaction is a two way street. You could start talking to them. You do not have to wait for them to talk to you first.

Besides, they may prefer to talking to their guildmates rather than strangers.

Ah yes. As oppose to, "Summon please" in the party chat. Yup. That was better.

It's so stupid that I can't even see guild mates standing next to me if we're not in party. I have to group up with my guild mates in order to trade them or inspect them even if we stand next to eachother.
    This is unfortunate but it is due to the tech to improve story telling, otherwise it would just be static unchanging. Imagine you did the quest that sacked Undercity. You come back and it is still there, with the traders etc. Kind of feel weird.

Funny thing is a public open minecraft server more a MMO then WoW is.

No its not. Its RPG elements have been striped away long ago. The RPG part is missing relevant to being part of the MMORPG formula. Its an MMO in a sense that many people are all playing online at the same time. Other than that, its not an MMORPG in a traditional or real sense.

I would agree with you, but stats show otherwise.
    The fact that the game around wotlk/cata had 12 million subs and now around 1 million. Something went wrong. It's hard to argue with someone who still enjoys wow as for those players the game is just fine but you kinda have to look at the numbers here. Almost 90% of the subs have dropped off.

Ofcourse they probably would drop of subs because of several reasons but still, 90%, that's a lot.
    So give an example where a game managed to retain a steady rise in players for as long as WoW and see what they did right compared to what WoW did wrong.

Funny thing is a public open minecraft server more a MMO then WoW is.
    Well, opinions are subjective.

How can you ask a question like this when there is no agreed upon definition of what an MMORPG is? Like Blizzard makes the wow lore right, if there's a lore question and Blizz gives the answer then that's the answer. You can't link me to anyone or anything else that's not Blizzard because they don't have the say so in what is the lore or not. With "MMORPG" no one sets the definition of that, someone could link one source that says one thing and someone else can link another, who do you listen to? Because of that WoW will always be an MMORPG or it could never have been one ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Last edited by Drusin; 2020-05-10 at 10:48 PM.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    It's a MMOG full of casual solo players doing braindead activities alone and collecting useless junk they will never use just for the sake of filling collection tabs.
    You just made the most meaningful anyone can do sound really boring.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    It is still an MMORPG, it’s just adapted to an era where “OOOH THOSE ARE OTHER PEOPLE LOGGED IN TO THE SAME WORLD” is no longer novel or a selling point. We’re so oversaturated with online interconnectivity that it’s no wonder that the most competitive, older online games have adapted in their later iterations to give us breathing room, independence and a sense of “soloing in parallel” and “playing together... but from over there.”

The options for hyper-interdependent gameplay will and should always be present, but the idea of “I need to make friends to progress at all” can’t be the core of a modern game because the modern gamer is often burned the hell out from networking outside the game.
    Finally someone said what I was thinking every time someone brings up the argument of "This game needs to be more social". No, it really doesn't because that stuff I used to be excited to do when I was 19/20 aren't as endearing or fun anymore because I can and do socialize on far better platforms.

No its a goddamn tabletop jenga played with wet noodles. Come on we don't need any more dumb threads like this.
    Of course its an mmorpg, more than ever.

Not really an RPG anymore imo. Gear doesn't matter, everyone's the same mechanically, no massive character stat sheet, etc etc.

Not really. Since many people are so miserable they watch streamers who convinced them that wow is some kind of esport game, it has become less about MMORPG.

The majority though play for adventure, character progression, lore, collecting stuff, having an avatar of them selves into a fantasy world. But the competetive minority has become more obnoxious over the last expansion.

The idea that some people think they know stuff or have some prestige because of their damage meter etc has always been there though.

It lacks some of the criteria to be considered a mmo.
    From wiki.

Massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPGs) are a combination of role-playing video games and massively multiplayer online games in which a very large number of players interact with one another within a virtual world.

why have threads like this not a yes/no poll ?

i fukin hate nowadays that click bait titles that are MADE for a poll. ppl discuss it anyway. this is around the 10-15th thread that do this in the last 2-3 months and it fucks me up.

sorry. but thats just shit. if you choose such a title, do a fukin poll. heck.

So many people here who only define MMO or RPG in their overly traditional sense. From Wikipedia:

A massively multiplayer online game (MMOG, or more commonly, MMO) is an online game with large numbers of players, typically from hundreds to thousands, on the same server.
    Is WoW an online game? Yes. Can you have large numbers of players, maybe hundreds to thousands, on the same server? Yes.

Also from Wikipedia:

A role-playing video game (commonly referred to as simply a role-playing game or an RPG as well as a computer role-playing game or a CRPG) is a video game genre where the player controls the actions of a character (and/or several party members) immersed in some well-defined world.
    Do you control a character in WoW? Yes. Is your character in some well-defined world? Yes.

WoW's an MMO, and an RPG, therefore it is an MMORPG. It may no longer fit your incredibly specific definition of MMO or RPG, but by the definition used by the world at large, it is.