Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Diablo 2 Remaster Rumors

Original article in French
    https://www.actugaming.net/blizzard-...n-2020-329561/

Picked up by Bloody Disgusting and summarized
    https://bloody-disgusting.com/video-...ii-later-year/

Rumour: A Remaster is in Development For ‘Diablo II’ For Later This Year?!

Once again, grab your salt shakers.

With the 20th anniversary (holy crap, I’m old) of Blizzard’s classic Diablo II coming up next month, and despite its original creators doubting that it would be possible, French website Actugaming claims that we might be in store for a remaster.

According to their sources, the remaster would be called Diablo II Resurrected, and would hit later this year. Vicarious Visions, the same team behind the Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy, are the ones behind the development duties. The game could be announced during Summer Game Fest, the video game celebration meant to replace E3 that’ll run through May until August, or Blizzard is keeping the surprise hidden until BlizzCon in November.

Though it could be a coincidence, a new listing on Gamestop has appeared for a Diablo II Tyrael Funko PoP figure.

Regardless of whether this is indeed true, fans are still waiting on Diablo IV, which is in development for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.

After seeing Warcraft 3 reforged, fans of Diablo 2 seem scared of what a remaster would be like.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    This would be amazing if it wasn’t for the Warcraft 3 reforged debacle. That shit was pathetic and greatly tarnished Blizzards reputation. Because say what you will about Blizzard of old, they would have NEVER released that game like they did.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    After seeing Warcraft 3 reforged, fans of Diablo 2 seem scared of what a remaster would be like.
    be afraid....very afraid

Even with the crappy Warcraft 3 Reforged release, i'd be 100% supportive of a Diablo 2 : Remaster. Just update models, textures and the UI a bit and i'd play it forever.

F O R E V E R.

Hell (pun intended), i'm more excited for a possible D2 Remaster than Diablo 4.

If this turns out to be true, hopefully it will be more along the lines of StarCraft: Remastered, instead of Warcraft III: Reforged.

War3 Reforged isn't awful if you don't really care about it writing over War3's servers and what not.
    Still this feels like a major project they would have announced already. I hope it's true but it will always be little more than a stop-gap for D4, which is why I thought they were avoiding it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Honestly hearing it being done by Vicarious Visions is a big sign of relief, The WC3R team really fucked up and I have faith in VV from their work on Destiny 2

In before the diablo 2 refunded memes. In all honesty blizzard shouldn't bother unless they want to go back and give it their old polish. The warcraft 3 reforged was so half arsed because instead of their old its done when its done style they went its done by x date or else style. They risk of tarnishing their rep even further by messing up any remaster prolly wont be worth a try for them again for a while imo.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    War3 Reforged isn't awful if you don't really care about it writing over War3's servers and what not.
    And removing tons of features that existed for decade+

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Uko View Post
    In before the diablo 2 refunded memes. In all honesty blizzard shouldn't bother unless they want to go back and give it their old polish. The warcraft 3 reforged was so half arsed because instead of their old its done when its done style they went its done by x date or else style. They risk of tarnishing their rep even further by messing up any remaster prolly wont be worth a try for them again for a while imo.
    Well Starcraft Remaster was decent so hopefully they just upscale the textures and sprites and leave it at that so it can be played better on modern resolutions.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Didn't they say that Diablo 2 will never get a remaster because:

a) they lost the source code long ago, and

b) the game itself was hardcoded with a maximum resolution of 800x600 and with larger resolutions a bunch of it just doesn't work, like enemy pathing and AI.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

7+ Year Old Account
    After what happened with Warcraft 3 i couldn't care less about anymore remakes/remasters from blizzard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Diablo 2 with better graphics - YES
    Diablo 2 optimized for higher resolution and new systems - NO THANKS

After WC3 Reforge fiasco they still outsource their remaster/remakes?
    Error 404 - Signature not found

That's why I am sure it will be perfect. They will try to avoid another PR disaster and they will accidentally make a good remaster.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Diablo 2 with better graphics - YES
    Diablo 2 optimized for higher resolution and new systems - NO THANKS
    I hate when they consider new resolutions a full remaster.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would be okay with this...

As long as they seriously just upgrade the graphics a little and change NOTHING else.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Original article in French
    https://www.actugaming.net/blizzard-...n-2020-329561/

Picked up by Bloody Disgusting and summarized
    https://bloody-disgusting.com/video-...ii-later-year/

Rumour: A Remaster is in Development For ‘Diablo II’ For Later This Year?!
    I doubt it will come this year. They rarely release games before Blizzcon announcement and beta.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    I hate when they consider new resolutions a full remaster.
    Yup, like what they did with Baldur's Gate. Although if I recall correctly they call that Enhanced Edition.
    Simple mods can make old games work fine in higher resolution.

SC was good, WC was garbo, so its a 50/50

The only way I'd truly trust another remake is if it's 1) Made by Vicarious Visions exclusively and 2) I can get some sort of demo to try out.