Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by i9erek View Post
    That's not bullshit, this is actually the Swedish approach for this and they're very happy unlike you. We're way overreacting ... we should just copy Sweden and follow their footsteps; they just banned very large gathering but otherwise it's business as usual and personal responsibility. Even schools are still open while we're living in this hell.
    “Hell”

Jesus Christ the American male has indeed pussified.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    The US is VERY capable. It's just not in the best interest of those with the money and power to do so.
    They clearly are not because of Current Leadership, Disinformation, and Greed.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    They clearly are not because of Current Leadership, Disinformation, and Greed.
    Don't make me type what I already typed again.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fwc577 View Post
    I never thought we'd let Big Brother into our homes but hey, slap a like button or an emoji on it and we're sitting near 80% of adults currently using social media these days.

Besides that, the government can mandate this software be put on phones for this purpose. I get Amber Alerts and Tornado Alerts on my phone and I never installed anything to activate the emergency communications on my phone.
    I rooted my phone to get rid of the "presidential alerts" (the only one that "can't be disabled" by default).

There was not much US, Canada, UK, Germany, Italy, Iran and rest of world could have done. China after SARS-CoV outbreak had more than 10 years to do something about it and didn't. I said it before its not about blame game, but China has to take measures to make sure something like this will never ever happen again, and if needed world should help them with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    South Korea's success hasn't just been about raw testing, it's combining testing with tracing. In SK everyone has an app on their phone that records who has been within a certain distance of you and then when someone within these chains catches Covid people further down the chain have to self isolate until they can be tested.

Think the USA is ever going to be able to get 80% of its population do download an app as invasive as that?

Equally the Swedes have not just ignored Covid, they obey social distancing where possible, the official advice is to do what you can to minimise risks, it's not been to either ignore or dismiss that the virus is even a thing.
    South Korea's success comes from experience from previous outbreaks within the past two decades. The law changes from the MERS outbreak were highly effective during this outbreak. Personally I believe Americans would protest those types of laws though because of privacy concerns.

But let's be honest, America from the federal level down was caught with it's pants down in regards to preparedness for an outbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    “Hell”

Jesus Christ the American male has indeed pussified.
    You have no idea I am GenX, and I recently went back to school for the fuck of it. It is really clear that a feminization of the U.S. has occurred.
    I am not pro Flight, I am pro a better more engaging game. I just took the pro flight stance cause I knew Blizzard couldn't deliver. Looks like I was right

Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    You have no idea I am GenX, and I recently went back to school for the fuck of it. It is really clear that a feminization of the U.S. has occurred.
    Evidence, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    Yeah, I've been thinking of going to film school, but the current state of US culture has me hesitating. Don't want to say I like the wrong movie, trigger someone, and get cancelled all the way out of school because I reference liking Tropic Thunder or a John Wayne movie that doesn't have the appropriate representation checklist.

5+ Year Old Account
    Discussion is treading into forbidden territory, be mindful.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Yeah, I've been thinking of going to film school, but the current state of US culture has me hesitating. Don't want to say I like the wrong movie, trigger someone, and get cancelled all the way out of school because I reference liking Tropic Thunder or a John Wayne movie that doesn't have the appropriate representation checklist.
    People do not dislike those movies because they don't tick a representation checklist. They don't like them because they are bad movies.

You are not being repressed by the matriarchy, you just have fucking awful taste.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fandist View Post
    People do not dislike those movies because they don't tick a representation checklist. They don't like them because they are bad movies.

You are not being repressed by the matriarchy, you just have fucking awful taste.
    It’s a silly misconception. I saw A Clockwork Orange for the first time in a Women In Society class. Yeah, not going to go into it... but... uhm... the things they do with statues, would make Robert Downey jr blush in Tropic Thunder.

In fact, I don’t think people recognize how relevant Kubrick is, in classes people assume are censored.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by fandist View Post

I never said anything about matriarchy. I don't even buy into that matriarchy/patriarchy bullshit.

And I brought those movies out as examples of movies that have been attacked for at best spurious reasons by Cancel Culture. There is a very strong sub-culture of a specific kind in academia, especially here in Seattle where I am, and it tends to not take too kindly to anyone not towing the ideological line.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    And I brought those movies out as examples of movies that have been attacked for at best spurious reasons by Cancel Culture. There is a very strong sub-culture of a specific kind in academia, especially here in Seattle where I am, and it tends to not take too kindly to anyone not towing the ideological line.
    What academic value is there in those two movies? I think that’s the greater point you are missing. If there is such a strong sub culture in academia, why are the two listed movies are of no academic worth? You are not saying that Das Boot is now banned, that Kubrick is beyond scope or huckleberry fin is too racist. In fact, if you’d neck a few threads down, there is a specific topic where academically relevant books are being banned... it’s not by that strong sub culture...

I’m in Seattle as well...

Edit: Even more perplexing, if you consider Tropic Thunder is on that list, due to black face. I’m not sure what ideological line that is supposed to represent, when the context of the movie, seems to support cancel culture. The dude in black face was a moron that lacked all self awareness, he wasn’t the protagonist or painted in a positive light.
    Last edited by Felya; 2020-05-11 at 02:50 AM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Edit: Even more perplexing, if you consider Tropic Thunder is on that list, due to black face. I’m not sure what ideological line that is supposed to represent, when the context of the movie, seems to support cancel culture. The dude in black face was a moron that lacked all self awareness, he wasn’t the protagonist or painted in a positive light.
    https://www.cinemablend.com/news/249...nder-character

I agree, that was the point of the blackface in Tropic Thunder, but that's not stopping the Twitterati from still criticizing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    The US is VERY capable. It's just not in the best interest of those with the money and power to do so.
    I don't think this is true, having spoken to billionaires and high tier investors about this pandemic. If anything, they've expressed frustration with the current administration's total failure to lead the country through this pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by Underverse View Post
    I don't think this is true, having spoken to billionaires and high tier investors about this pandemic. If anything, they've expressed frustration with the current administration's total failure to lead the country through this pandemic.
    There are winners and losers. You must have talked to the losers. No offense to them, of course. I'm a public school teacher. I'm a very clear winner in this.

Look at the population density of South Korea and how they handled it.

But you know, one of the largest economies on earth with no where near the same population density can't effectively handle it /s.

It's even worse that South Korea gave the entire world the blue print on handling it in Feb and yet the US and many other western countries dragged their ass on even attempting to prepare.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Our current leadership is incapable. The US is more than capable in theory.

- - - Updated - - -

Which means it's 100% true. You just have to have capable leadership in place.
    Which we don't have, and therefore we are incapable of dealing with this. Current leadership matters. But I think this is becoming a semantic issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The pandemic may well outlive the current leadership. Not sure if you've heard but 2020 is an election year.
    We'll have a vaccine by fall. The critical time will have come and passed.